• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Out Of Place Animals

There is absolutely no need for people to possess such dangerous and wild animals! Occasional deaths have resulted from some of these so-called pets. I recall a case where a large python got lose and killed a small child. And in places like Florida they take off and start breeding treating the indigenous fauna. Excuse me I'm expanding the topic to include the States.

'Sea hating' rare pelican and vulture could stay in UK
24 May 2016
From the section Cornwall

Two extremely rare birds which were blown across to the UK due to prolonged wind currents could remain in the country due to their dislike of sea crossings, experts have said.
A Dalmatian pelican which has been spotted in Cornwall had not been seen in the country for hundreds of years.

Meanwhile, a bearded vulture has been seen in Wales, Devon and Cornwall.
Experts said the birds, which are both "major rarities" had arrived in the UK on prolonged south easterly airflows.
The species are more commonly found across south eastern Europe, India and China.

Paul Freestone, from the Cornwall Birding website, said thousands of birdwatchers had travelled from across the country to try to see the birds.
"It's completely unprecedented to have two major rarities in the South West," Mr Freestone said.

Paul Stancliffe, from the British Trust for Ornithology, said both birds were first seen in other parts of Europe, with the pelican seen in Poland and vulture reported in Belgium before they arrived in the UK.
Mr Stancliffe said both birds, which are currently in Cornwall, "don't like sea crossings" so it was "possible" for them to remain in the UK for the foreseeable future.

The pelican was first seen on 9 May in West Cornwall and the vulture was first photographed close to the second Seven Crossing on 12 May.
The Met Office said that since the beginning of May south easterly winds had been regular across central and southern Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-36369185

Still, I can see Boris adopting the bird. It would look well on his shoulder.
The bearded vulture (lammergeier) isn't a real vulture and doesn't really look like one. Boris needs a proper, bald, gruesome looking vulture sitting on his shoulder. It could raise its young in his hair. Ready made nest.

You can probably guess where it bit him.

I don't have to guess. The BBC Radio 4 News had this as its jolly end-item, making the newsreader solemnly ennunciate the word "penis" for the enlightenment of the nation. She acquitted herself very well, I thought, in the circumwhateverstances. :clap:

I'm losing count - how many Glass Cocks is that?

The bearded vulture (lammergeier) isn't a real vulture and doesn't really look like one. Boris needs a proper, bald, gruesome looking vulture sitting on his shoulder.

He's got Ian Duncan Smith on his side. Is that close enough?

More weird stuff from Brixham - not long ago it was a dead horse, now it's this:-
Huge beaver leaves experts puzzled after washing up on Devon beach
By Plymouth Herald | Posted: June 02, 2016

14445049-large.jpg

A LARGE beaver left experts puzzled after washing up on a beach in Brixham.
There are only a handful of the rare rodents living in the wild in Britain, with what is believed to be the first wild beaver family living on the River Otter in East Devon.
What makes finding a beaver washed up on a beach even more unusual is the fact that beavers are not sea-going creatures.

Katie Skeggs, who spotted the washed up beaver while walking along Shoalstone Beach in Brixham with her friends, said: "It was quite a strange sight to come across.
"I got a photograph, but we were only there for a couple of minutes."

Steve Hussey from Devon Wildlife Trust said experts would know more about how the beaver came to wash up on the beach once they see it.
He said: "We believe that the beaver was found by someone and removed from the beach.
"Beavers are not seagoing creatures, so it is likely that it died near the mouth of a river and was washed out to sea.
"Without seeing the animal, we won't know anything else.
"We are hoping to try and find out where it has been taken to see if we could carry out tests to find out more."

The charity is also monitoring four 'active areas' along the River Otter where it has seen recent evidence of the beavers' presence.
This comes as part of the River Otter Beaver Trial – a five-year study of what is believed to be the first population of breeding beavers living wild in the English countryside for several centuries.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Hug...ashing-Devon/story-29353119-detail/story.html

Shoalstone is between Brixham Breakwater and Berry Head. The River Otter meets the sea just east of Budleigh Salterton, on the Devon coast. From there it's about 17 miles SW to Shoalstone. There have been a lot of northerly and easterly winds recently, so perhaps it's not out of the question for a dead beaver to drift that far.

Thai toilet snake gives man a shock.

You can probably guess where it bit him. :eek:
The snake is fine and has been released and the man is recovering well.

A friend of mine worked in a surveyors office, they often had to visit places off
the beaten track and on this day sent 2 of the surveyors off into the cumbrian hills,
now the male of the two fancied the female but the female was not at all interested.

They arrived and the guy came across a piece of corrugated iron these get warmed
by the sun and snakes keep nice and warm under them so our hero decides to impress
the female he lifts this up and sure enough there's a adder, he goes to grab the snake
but it's nice and warm and reacts fast he gets bitten.

Now a adder bite is not usually
life threatening to a full grown human but this guy reacts badly going into convulsions
and shall we say a massive release of all bodily fluids, he wakes up in hospital with
pipes from all sorts of places and the young lady for some strange reason never took
him seriously ever again.

A friend of mine worked in a surveyors office, they often had to visit places off
the beaten track and on this day sent 2 of the surveyors off into the cumbrian hills,
now the male of the two fancied the female but the female was not at all interested.

They arrived and the guy came across a piece of corrugated iron these get warmed
by the sun and snakes keep nice and warm under them so our hero decides to impress
the female he lifts this up and sure enough there's a adder, he goes to grab the snake
but it's nice and warm and reacts fast he gets bitten.

Now a adder bite is not usually
life threatening to a full grown human but this guy reacts badly going into convulsions
and shall we say a massive release of all bodily fluids, he wakes up in hospital with
pipes from all sorts of places and the young lady for some strange reason never took
him seriously ever again.

So I take it he didn't pull then ? .. :rofl: .. of all the stupid things I've deliberately done in life (and they're still growing), I've never pissed off a snake to impress a woman. I'm going to learn from his mistake.

More pushed by all accounts, I too am willing to learn by others mistakes. :rolleyes:

About 40 years back I was warned to come away from a wall I was leaning
on in Portsmouth as it was full of scorpions, never saw one but move to a
safe distance.
I saw an adder in Eyam once as a school boy on a field trip .. I didn't go any where near it even though the girl I was with there was considered the best looking girl at the time. I was more scared about trying to chat her up at time though :p (I never got up the courage).

In a earlier post,
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/the-ghosts-of-my-life.59546/
I mentioned attending a site of a ghost sighting and at the time thought
they had seen a big cat, wile in that job I was asked to look at the sites of 2 other big
cat sightings claw prints were found at the ghost site and one of the big cat sites but
nothing at the other, I also met the member
of the public that saw the cat, the third cat sighting nothing at all was seen,
but it seems the cat or cats are still about this report was in the area only a few miles
from the ones I mentioned and very close to the one were nothing was seen.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1478757/cops-called-to-reports-of-big-cat-on-the-prowl-in-bury/

Animal welfare officers are warning people not to approach a family of ostriches on the loose in a village as the adult birds can be “extremely aggressive”.

There have been several sightings of an adult ostrich, which is believed to have young with it, in the village of Patna, east Ayrshire.

Staff at the Scottish SPCA said it was a mystery where the family of exotic birds had come from as no one in the local area appeared to have lost an ostrich.

The animal rescue officer Alistair Hill said: “It is unclear where the ostrich has come from but we think it may also have young with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...se-in-scottish-village-patna?CMP=share_btn_tw

Any news of the Ayrshire ostriches? Or is it just one of those silly season stories that go mysteriously nowhere? The way it was written up in the report I read was more like a UL that got out of hand.

I was puzzling - out loud and on this very board - eleven days ago about when Ostriches last roamed Ostrich Lane in Prestwich.

I see it is here.
They must teleport! :huh:

Edit
"A week or so" corrected when the date of the post was pinned down.

Just ostriching his legs! Residents stunned to see giant bird strutting down their terraced street in the Welsh valleys
  • Retired couple open blinds to find ostrich peering into their home
  • Lynne and David Evans, of Rhondda, south Wales, spotted the bird
  • The married couple in their 50s and residents took photos of the ostrich
By MAIL ONLINE REPORTER

PUBLISHED: 16:42, 10 August 2016 | UPDATED: 18:59, 10 August 2016

An ostrich was spotted peering into the windows of homes and walking calmly down a quiet terraced street in the Welsh valleys.

Residents rushed outside to take photographs of the giant bird when it was wandering in the village of Ton Pentre in the Rhondda Valley.

Lynne Evans, 58, said she screamed out loud as she raised the blind of her front to see an ostrich peering in her window - just a foot away from the glass.

3710C8ED00000578-3733370-Lynne_Evans_said_she_raised_the_blind_of_their_front_window_to_s-a-138_1470841645723.jpg

+8
Lynne Evans said she raised the blind of their front window to see an ostrich peering into their home

Mrs Evans, a retired factory supervisor, said her husband David, 59, came running down the stairs to see what happened.

She said: 'I got the fright of my life as I had only just got up when I opened the blinds and it was just stood there looking right at me.

'It was only a foot away as it was on the pavement and looking in the window.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...raced-street-Welsh-valleys.html#ixzz4GyI7hX9V
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Looks like a Rhea but it certainly isn't what you expect to find walking
down a st in the UK, there are 2 on a allotment near me ans one in a farm field
about 4 miles away, they seem quite tame you can walk among them and other
animal's at the South lakes Zoo nr Barrow, one sneaked up on me and stuck its
head in my pocket likely after treats had to remove it by pulling it out like a fire
hose luckily it did not take the hump and wandered off after being fed a bit of corn.

Looks like a Rhea but it certainly isn't what you expect to find walking
down a st in the UK, there are 2 on a allotment near me ans one in a farm field
about 4 miles away, they seem quite tame you can walk among them and other
animal's at the South lakes Zoo nr Barrow, one sneaked up on me and stuck its
head in my pocket likely after treats had to remove it by pulling it out like a fire
hose luckily it did not take the hump and wandered off after being fed a bit of corn.
Be careful. If they kick you, it's a hospital visit...

Back