Out Of Place Animals

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Another snake in a loo story, this time in Malaysia (also could be a Fortean Headline):

10ft snake pulled from toilet after biting man’s bum

snake.png

A ten-foot snake was removed from a toilet by firefighters after it proved to be a pain in the bottom.

The slinky creature was making himself right at home in a toilet in Malaysia before the fire department was beckoned to come to take it away. Seven firefighters were sent to the home in Gelang Patah, an outskirt of Iskandar Puteri.

The huge slider was only discovered after he had bitten the resident of the house on the bum, a rather rude way to enter someone’s house, if you ask our opinion.
https://www.indy100.com/offbeat/snake-toilet-bite-bum-malaysia-b1826052

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Walrus update ...

Authorities have confirmed the walrus spotted in Ireland is the same one who showed up in Wales less than a week later. He's now been dubbed "Wally", and he's drawn enough attention to warrant authorities' warning people to leave him alone.

He's also shown interest in climbing aboard ships and boats. Wally apparently intends to continue his voyages ...
Arctic walrus that drifted to Ireland is now hitching rides on passing ships

A walrus who accidentally made his way from the Arctic Circle to an Irish beach last month, likely while napping on a drifting iceberg, has continued his antics by clambering onto passing ships and even falling asleep on a slipway intended for lifeboats.

As the marine mammal, endearingly named Wally, has become somewhat of a tourist attraction, conservation groups and local authorities are worried that so much human attention could disturb the walrus. They are now warning tourists to leave the walrus alone ...

A 5-year-old girl walking with her father first spotted Wally on March 14; he was plonked down on the rocks of Valentia island in County Kerry, Ireland ...

But Wally's journey did not end on that beach. He traveled 280 miles (450 kilometers) farther south, from County Kerry to Pembrokeshire, Wales, in just six days. ...

Wally, who was visually identified by a conservation group as the same walrus seen in Ireland, has been stirring up mischief by hitching rides on passing ships. The cow-size mammal's cumbersome attempts to get aboard a dinghy ended up capsizing it, witnesses said. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/walrus-iceberg-journey-worries-conservationists.html

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Expect a lot more of Wally and his pals wandering south with climate change.

“...the juvenile marine mammal is thought to have fallen asleep on an ice sheet in its native Greenland and drifted thousands of miles south...”

l think l’ll keep the central heating on for the minute.

maximus otter

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
“...the juvenile marine mammal is thought to have fallen asleep on an ice sheet in its native Greenland and drifted thousands of miles south...”

maximus otter

I reckon he wanted to go to Tuskar Rock but Ryanair dropped him off in Kerry.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score

maximus otter

Don't worry, you'll be shooting polar bears before the decade's out.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Don't worry, you'll be shooting polar bears before the decade's out.

Well, their numbers are increasing nicely; and I remember that the scare story in the media around the time I left school was that we were headed for a new Ice Age, so - who knows?

Mmmm: an excuse to buy a big-game rifle!

maximus otter

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Lettuce pray it doesn't happen again cos it's frightening.

A Sydney couple received a fright when they discovered a rare venomous snake in a bag of supermarket lettuce – but recovered and later used the fresh produce in a salad wrap.

The juvenile pale-headed snake, Hoplocephalus bitorquatus, was tucked into a two-pack of cos lettuce which Alexander White and his partner, Amelie Neate, purchased from an Aldi supermarket in Sydney on Monday.

“It was moving around and flicking its little tongue out,” White said. “It was actually its tongue which let me know it wasn’t a giant worm. I would have been more comfortable with a worm, to be honest.”

The reptile was about 20cm long and appeared to have been sleeping peacefully in the lettuce in the supermarket’s refrigerated grocery cabinet until White picked it up, carried it around the store, then jostled it in his backpack for the 10-minute bicycle ride home.

“We didn’t have a trolley because neither of us had a dollar coin so we were just carrying it – in retrospect that kind of freaked me out,” White said.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...nd-venomous-snake-in-their-aldi-fresh-produce

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Lettuce pray it doesn't happen again cos it's frightening.

A Sydney couple received a fright when they discovered a rare venomous snake in a bag of supermarket lettuce – but recovered and later used the fresh produce in a salad wrap.

The juvenile pale-headed snake, Hoplocephalus bitorquatus, was tucked into a two-pack of cos lettuce which Alexander White and his partner, Amelie Neate, purchased from an Aldi supermarket in Sydney on Monday.

“It was moving around and flicking its little tongue out,” White said. “It was actually its tongue which let me know it wasn’t a giant worm. I would have been more comfortable with a worm, to be honest.”

The reptile was about 20cm long and appeared to have been sleeping peacefully in the lettuce in the supermarket’s refrigerated grocery cabinet until White picked it up, carried it around the store, then jostled it in his backpack for the 10-minute bicycle ride home.

“We didn’t have a trolley because neither of us had a dollar coin so we were just carrying it – in retrospect that kind of freaked me out,” White said.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...nd-venomous-snake-in-their-aldi-fresh-produce
I would imagine it wasnt 'sleeping peacefully' in the chiller, it was more likely in torpor being as it is cold blooded.

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A herd of deer have been spotted grazing on an east London housing estate

Deer graze on east London housing estate

_118126392_deerb.jpg

Residents were stunned to see a herd of deer grazing outside their front doors on an estate in east London.

The animals had walked across the busy A12 in Harold Hill, Romford, from their home in Dagnam Park.

They are thought to be one of five herds in the area that have been breeding there for hundreds of years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-56819018

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Hedgehogs may be struggling in the UK but they're flourishing in New Zealand & are a danger to native wildlife. They were deliberately introduced by European immigrants to remind them of home.

Killing machines: humble British hedgehog causes havoc in New Zealand

New Zealand is a hedgehog paradise. Whereas in Europe they are hunted by pine martens, foxes and badgers, New Zealand’s hedgehogs have few predators. Unchecked by the food chain, they meander blissfully through forests and gardens, hoovering up an astonishing number of native creatures.

With the exception of a few local bats, New Zealand has no native land-based mammals. Its bird population adapted to this state of affairs – some, like the Kiwi, are flightless, or nest on the ground. When stoats, cats, possums and rats were introduced, they wreaked havoc: crunching down rare insects, killing fresh-hatched chicks, and slurping the eggs of ground-nesting birds.

Hedgehogs are also key culprits. “It’s increasingly coming to light how much damage they can do,” says Nick Foster, a PhD candidate at the University of Otago who is researching hedgehogs. A single, dedicated hedgehog will consume numerous native lizards, bird eggs, and wētā – a kind of large flightless cricket found only in New Zealand. One study found 283 wētā legs in a single hedgehog stomach. “That means in a 24-hour period this hedgehog has guzzled up 60 or so animals,” Foster says. “It’s a banquet.”

The mission to try to drive hedgehogs from protected habitats is seen as critical in New Zealand. The country is running an ambitious campaign to eradicate introduced predators by 2050, using a mixture of trapping, hunting, and poison.

Some suggestions to capture & fly some back to boost population in the UK..

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score

Deer in the city; bit of a non story these days.

But these are Fallow and not Roe; so a bit more unusual.

(some places have urban Red deer...)

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What is thought to be a juvenile Minke whale has got its self stuck in the Thames.

"The police, fire crews and the RNLI have worked through the night to try to free a whale stranded in the River Thames in south-west London.

The whale, believed to be a baby Minke, was spotted in Richmond Lock on Sunday evening - and has since been moved.

A vet will now assess whether it is strong enough to be released back to sea"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-57052331

WeeScottishLassie

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
What is thought to be a juvenile Minke whale has got its self stuck in the Thames.

"The police, fire crews and the RNLI have worked through the night to try to free a whale stranded in the River Thames in south-west London.

The whale, believed to be a baby Minke, was spotted in Richmond Lock on Sunday evening - and has since been moved.

A vet will now assess whether it is strong enough to be released back to sea"

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-57052331
It's touch and go on whether it'll survive. I believe they've moved it from where it was lodged but they still don't know if it'll be ok :(

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's touch and go on whether it'll survive. I believe they've moved it from where it was lodged but they still don't know if it'll be ok :(
Lastest is they were towing it in an infatable sleeve and it escaped in Isleworth, they are asking for any sightings.

eziofan

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score

Deer graze on east London housing estate

View attachment 38386

Residents were stunned to see a herd of deer grazing outside their front doors on an estate in east London.

The animals had walked across the busy A12 in Harold Hill, Romford, from their home in Dagnam Park.

They are thought to be one of five herds in the area that have been breeding there for hundreds of years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-56819018
I was born and raised in Stratford and I would never class Romford as 'East London"

Souleater

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I was born and raised in Stratford and I would never class Romford as 'East London"
There seems to be a lot of towns thst used to be in Kent, Essex, Surrey and Sussex which are all classed as 'London' now.

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score
Almost a really awful situation. The tiger was being illegally kept in the rental house. It was taken back in by the owner after an off-duty cop nearly shot it as it was roaming loose. Unsuprisingly, the owner (with the tiger) is now gone missing and wanted not only for this crime but awaiting trial for murder.

https://www.khou.com/article/news/w...hood/285-59bc7ed9-1a8c-4537-8aaa-56ecab682c28

Houston police are still looking for the man who escaped with his pet tiger late Sunday, and now they know why he probably took off.
The suspect, whose name hasn't been released, is out on bond for a November 2020 murder in Fort Bend County, according to HPD Commander Borza.
Before police arrived to question him, the man loaded the Bengal tiger in a white Jeep Cherokee and took off. There was a brief chase, but they lost him.
The suspect is 28 years old, 5'8 and about 130 pounds. Anyone with information should contact the HPD Major Offenders Division at 713-308-3100.
He now faces an evading arrest charge and his bond on the murder charge will be revoked, Borza said. They hope to get the tiger back before it's harmed.

Last edited:

Sharon Hill

Complicated biological machine
Reaction score