Out Of Place Animals

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
Merry Hissmas?

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Walrus in Northumberland

A walrus has been spotted on a beach in what is believed to be Northumberland's first sighting.

Doesn’t seem to be known whether it’s Wally or another one.
View attachment 48105

The walrus wanders far away.

An Arctic Circle walrus has turned up about 400 miles (644km) from home in Shetland.

The distinctive and well-travelled young female has already been recorded off Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Northumberland.

Named Freya, the walrus has been spotted at the isle of Vementry and is generating a lot of interest. Local wildlife photographer Hugh Harrop described it as a "really exciting" thing to happen.

The walrus has been spotted having a rest on the side of a salmon farm cage by the uninhabited island.

"It's a young female and she's got just a little pink spot on her nose and that makes her distinctive", Mr Harrop told BBC Scotland.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-59636151

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
A venerable African tortoise was found wandering on a Pennsylvania road.
African tortoise walks down Pennsylvania road, prompts 911 calls

Wildlife officials in Pennsylvania said an escaped African tortoise went for a walk down the middle of a road, prompting 911 calls from concerned residents who feared the animal could be a snapping turtle.

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission said 911 calls came in on Sunday reporting a large turtle walking down the middle of a street in Washington County. ...

"The original caller said it was a huge snapper and didn't know what to do with it, so he called 911," Waterways Conservation Officer Jon Stark wrote in a post on the commission's Facebook page. ...

"If it was as big as they said it was, that's a giant snapping turtle," he wrote.

Stark said he arrived to find the 100-pound creature was not dangerous at all -- it was an African tortoise.

"This big old turtle just wanted to go for a walk and be free. Still not sure where he got loose from, but now he has a new home and a large area to roam," Stark wrote.
FULL STORY (With Photo): https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/12/14/African-tortoise-Pennsylvania-road-911-calls/6091639513923/

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score

Escaped zebras bamboozle Maryland officials: ‘They’re just too fast’

Five of the animals broke free from a private farm in Prince George county more than a week ago and have been roaming neighbourhoods south of Upper Marlboro in a search of food.

The surviving two are back.

Two Maryland zebras that escaped a farm in mid-August have returned to their herd.

In a statement obtained by NPR, the Prince George's County, Md., Department of the Environment says that the roaming zebras returned sometime last week, but officials gave no details on how and when the recovery took place.

The officials say neither the United States Department of Agriculture nor the Prince George's County animal services were involved in the return of the zebras.

Linda Lowe, spokesperson for Prince George's County Department of Environment, said county officials will continue their ongoing investigation and will take appropriate legal action regarding alleged violations by the zebras' owner.

In October, Jerry Holly, the owner of the zebras was charged with three counts of animal cruelty after one of three zebras that had escaped was reported to have been discovered dead in a snare trap.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/14/1064...aryland-farm-are-back-after-months-on-the-run

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Look at the escape video :)

The serval that escaped yesterday in Herkenbosch is home. He was standing in front of the house where he belongs at 08:00 this morning. Owner Erik Aspers himself opened the door for him.

The serval, a feline predator that lives in the wild in Africa, escaped Saturday night through a hole under the net stretched over the living space. Aspers was in Spain at the time. He heard from his girlfriend that the animal had escaped. Aspers was convinced that the animal would come back on its own, but decided to take the plane home anyway.

Aspers has two servals. He says that the animals in his home are given all the space they need. "They have it better here than in the zoo." According to him, the animals are also not aggressive. At his house they live together with a pit bull and a rabbit and that is fine, he says.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2410998-ontsnapte-serval-herkenbosch-keert-zelf-naar-huis-terug

uair01

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Sheep shot dead after causing accidents on motorway in Friesland
On the N31 near the Frisian town of Opeinde, a sheep has caused an accident. A car and a van collided with each other on the road, because the animal was walking on the roadway.

The van ended up on its side, but the driver and passenger were not so injured that they had to go to the hospital, reports Omrop Fryslân.

Moments later, the animal appeared to be walking on the road again, which startled motorists again. An officer eventually shot the sheep to prevent more accidents. The animal was later picked up and removed.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2410888-scha...eroorzaken-ongelukken-op-autoweg-in-friesland

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Seal pup heading for traffic at Gt Yarmouth

Thought to have been spooked/possibly attacked by a dog on the nearby beach.

Dan Goldsmith of Marine and Wildlife Rescue said "We relocated it much further along [the beach] to rest and recover, and it should be okay," he said.
1640904168555.png

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
An interesting visitor.

An Egyptian vulture has been sighted in the south Roscommon area for what is believed to be a first for the county and second ever recorded in the country.

He was initially observed on the morning of New Year’s Eve by the National Parks and Wildlife Services warden for Lough Rea and the Mid-Shannon Callows in the area, Owen Murphy, who picked up on the unusual flight pattern of the bird and upon closer examination, identified him as an Egyptian vulture.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40776570.html

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
An interesting visitor.

An Egyptian vulture has been sighted in the south Roscommon area for what is believed to be a first for the county and second ever recorded in the country.

He was initially observed on the morning of New Year’s Eve by the National Parks and Wildlife Services warden for Lough Rea and the Mid-Shannon Callows in the area, Owen Murphy, who picked up on the unusual flight pattern of the bird and upon closer examination, identified him as an Egyptian vulture.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40776570.html
Strange. I think it was last year we had the Egyptian vulture's closest relative, the bearded vulture, turn up in Lincolnshire.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This seal seems happier living inland on the Hudson River than in his species' native marine environment.
Seal skips ocean, makes home 100 miles up Hudson River

A juvenile harbor seal has forgone life in the ocean, instead choosing a home nearly 100 miles up the Hudson River — behavior that wildlife officials called “unprecedented.”

The animal was likely abandoned as a pup by his mother in Maine, officials say. A Connecticut rescue center cared for him, then released him in Rhode Island in early 2019 with an electronic tracking tag.

By that August, he’d settled down on the Hudson near Saugerties Lighthouse, under the watchful eye of the lighthouse keeper, staying for 620 days.

“It is a story like none we have ever heard of … a marine mammal showing such extended affinity and fidelity to freshwater,” said Tom Lake of the state Department of Environmental Conservation’s Hudson River Almanac ...

Harbor Seal No. 246 — as he’s known officially — disappeared last April ...

Turns out he needed rescuing again, catching an infection and a skin condition called “seal pox” after swimming down to Long Island’s Atlantic Beach. ...

Thankfully, Seal 246 was picked up by the New York Marine Rescue Center. Once he recovered, they released him last summer, likely expecting he’d head out to sea. ...

He journeyed 210 miles, from Hampton Bays all the way back up the Hudson to his old stomping grounds near Saugerties. The lighthouse keeper noticed his return in August.
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/article/oddities...als-wildlife-3f285d77ca3d955131a04949f76bdc93

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This is what it looks like when a moose shows up in your basement. He wasn't in the mood for ping-pong ...

MooseInBasement.jpg
CPW officers rescue moose that was trapped in Breckenridge basement

Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers rescued a moose that had become trapped in the basement of a house in Breckenridge on Monday. ...

Wildlife officers responded and discovered a moose that had been grazing near a home had fallen through a snow-covered window well and into the home’s basement. Responding officers opened doors to create exits for the moose, but could not get the moose to leave because it required going up a basement staircase to reach the exits.

CPW officers tranquilized the moose and cut off its antlers so that it could fit up the home’s stairs and reduce further damage to the home. Moose antlers typically fall off this time of year and the moose will grow new antlers this spring.

Breckenridge Police, Blue River Police, and the Red, White & Blue Fire and EMS helped CPW wildlife officers carry the moose upstairs and outside where it was safely released back into quality moose habitat. ...
FULL STORY: https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=8045

EnolaGaia

Staff member
Reaction score
This London man had a sugar glider glide into his apartment ...

SugarGlider.jpg
Sugar glider flies into London man's sixth-floor apartment

A London man said he was awakened in the early morning when a sugar glider flew through an open window into his sixth-floor apartment.

John Zou, 27, said he woke up about 5 a.m. to an odd sound. ...

"I was asleep and woke up to the noise of something running around the bedroom. I was scared it might be a rat, but when I went to investigate, I found this little creature," Zou told the RSPCA. "I didn't know it was a sugar glider, so I sent photos to some friends and they helped me to identify it."

Zou kept the sugar glider, a type of Australian possum that can glide through the air, in his bedroom.

"I left the window open to the balcony, so he must have come in from outside. I guesss he's someone's pet and flew into my flat from theirs," Zou said. ...

Zou contacted the RSPCA, and Inspector Francesca Tambini responded to his apartment in the Leather Lane area of London. ...

"Sugar gliders look incredibly cute and this little guy is adorable," Tambini said. "It's easy to see why people might be tempted to buy them as pets, but we would urge them to reconsider. These animals need very special care, and we don't believe they are suitable as pets." ...
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2022/0...r-sixth-story-London-apartment/6561642180587/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Such a cute creature - but lots of hard work. They're on the go all the time.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Well, that comes pretty much top of the things to wake up to list.