• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A shapely tree...

1692124936255.png

Wasn't this posted in the pareidolia thread as well?

I suspect image manipulation, it's just too good!
I think part. I was wondering if light was played with. The image around its outside. Were some areas darkened to get the facial outline? Just one detail I wondered about. The ovalness of the framing is curious.

What is the difference between paredolia and optical illusion?
It might be argued that the former is naturally occuring (though optical illusions, such as mirage, can occur) while the latter is man-made.
Pareidolia is our brains making shapes that aren't there, whereas an optical illusion is something that plays tricks on your perception. So pareidolia is a specific subset of optical illusions.

below: recycling plastic bottles into water transport (Pokhara, Nepal taken by myself)
Quite clearly your picture shows that the people there have a pride in their area, are not lazy, and actually bother to keep their environs tidy.
I can't see any litter or detritus of any sort.
Which is exactly my point.

Reactions: Sid
To me that was both instantly recognisable as a face (dunno whose though) and obviously fake.

Showed Techy on a Mac screen from across the room but he couldn't see a thing except the scummy landscape. :chuckle:
The fact it was posted in this thread means there's more to see than is immediately obvious. It took me about 3 seconds to see it. Shame it's not a genuine case of pareidolia, though. But nevertheless quite an ingenious piece of art.

Last edited:
Hmmm…..looks a bit photoshopped. None of the other cacti look anything like it..
That's what I suspect but it was still a neat idea. :)

Hmmm…..looks a bit photoshopped. None of the other cacti look anything like it..
Though you'll notice that it is the biggest one in view, and it does have multiple cracks which strongly suggests that it is drying out and not able to support the two lower growths - and a few what looks like woodpecker holes up above it too!
*Added: Also - if you look closely you'll notice that there are another two branches at the back of it which have also flopped down the same way as the two in front. Can't say if the top bits are gen - but certainly seem to be.

Last edited:
Though you'll notice that it is the biggest one in view, and it does have multiple cracks which strongly suggests that it is drying out and not able to support the two lower growths - and a few what looks like woodpecker holes up above it too!
And it's not a perfect t rex image as it has too many upper arms. Though I do suspect that the kids are photoshopped.

Back