• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

This sometimes concerns me when I head off out for a long walk with the dog. I start off thinking 'I know, I'lll go to xxx', but when I arrive there it's busy, so I just head off in another direction. If anything happened to me, nobody would have the faintest idea of where to even start looking. They wouldn't even know I'd gone for a walk with the dog (other than that both the dog and I would be missing).
Techy and I have the Life360 tracking app so we can see where each other is. Very helpful. :)

On should be the missing Andrew Gosden's 30th birthday, his father describes the family's ongoing suffering.

Andrew Gosden's father tells of 'depression' 16 years after Doncaster teenager vanished
The father of a boy who went missing 16 years ago has said that he is still "barely able to function" on what would be his son's 30th birthday.

Andrew Gosden, from Doncaster, was 14 when he disappeared in London in 2007. There have been no confirmed sightings of him since.

Speaking in a blog written on 10 July – Andrew’s birthday – his father Kevin spoke of his ongoing struggle to process his son's disappearance.

He said: "I have struggled with crippling anxiety and depression, to the extent that it is barely possible to function.

There were arrests a while ago but I've heard nothing since -

In December 2021, two men were arrested over Andrew's disappearance. A 45-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of kidnap, human trafficking and the possession of indecent images of children.

A 38-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of kidnap and human trafficking. Police said they seized "numerous devices".

Both were released under investigation while enquiries continue.

I suspect that they are going to be done for indecent images but that there's nothing more to link them to Andrew. He was a fairly generic looking young teenage boy and given a haircut and removal of glasses would be almost indistinguishable from many others (I know there's an ear-thing that makes him stand out, but how many photographs, particularly of an indecent nature, show ears?) In fact, my own younger son, who is a very similar age to Andrew, which is why I tend to an interest in this case, could almost have been mistaken for him at that age.

I very much fear that something happened to him almost as soon as he arrived in London, but it doesn't involve sex trafficking. Anything else is grasping at straws.

I very much fear that something happened to him almost as soon as he arrived in London, but it doesn't involve sex trafficking. Anything else is grasping at straws.
My guess, which is similar to most theories about this sad business, is that Andrew was somehow induced to travel to London to meet someone unknown to his family and he then came to harm.

There certainly used to be gangs of men who'd abduct, abuse and murder young teenage boys. One such gang led by the notorious Sidney Cooke was operating up to the 1990s.
Cooke's lot were not of course involved in Andrew's disappearance as they were all in prison, but it's hard to believe there aren't more out there.
One man might meet Andrew off the train and walk him round the corner to where an accomplice waited. Two men could easily control a teenage boy. He could be whisked away in no time. :(

Three ‘mummified’ bodies found in a remote mountainous campsite

Three decomposing bodies were found at a remote campsite in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains, authorities said.

Hikers in Gunnison County made a grisly discovery on Sunday when they found the ‘mummified’ remains of three other people at a campsite near the Gold Creek Campground.

The bodies were found in small, zipped-up tents alongside some personal belongings.
‘This is not a typical occurrence anywhere, by any means,’ Gunnison County Sheriff Adam Murdie said.

‘It does not appear there was trauma to the bodies, other than what looked like mummification, almost,’ Murdie told the Montrose Press. ‘They had been there probably at least throughout the winter.’

The hiker made the discovery around 5.00pm on Sunday evening. The remote campground lies within the massive 1,672,136-acre Gunnison National Forest, and is a 40-minute drive from the nearest town of Pitkin, Colorado.

The bodies have not yet been identified by the county coroner, the sheriff’s office said. Autopsies on the bodies are expected to be difficult due to their deteriorated state.

Whether they froze to death in the winter or the combination of starved or froze, that’s what it sure seems like,’ Sheriff Murdie said.
You’d expect somebody to be missing three campers..

Three decomposing bodies were found at a remote campsite in Colorado’s Rocky Mountains, authorities said.

Hikers in Gunnison County made a grisly discovery on Sunday when they found the ‘mummified’ remains of three other people at a campsite near the Gold Creek Campground.

The bodies were found in small, zipped-up tents alongside some personal belongings.

Mr Ballen will know.

Should I know who that is?
It's a YouTube channel where the eponymous narrator tells true stories of the strange, dark and mysterious.
He also now presents the material as a podcast.

Many of the earlier stories were of caving/diving/cave diving disasters.
It's where I first heard about the Nutty Putty incident, when I listened in bed with the light off and my duvet turned to stone. :omg:

There are also accounts of deaths and disappearances of campers and hikers in remote areas. This incident will fit RIGHT in there.

It's a YouTube channel where the eponymous narrator tells true stories of the strange, dark and mysterious.

It's where I first heard about the Nutty Putty incident, when I listened in bed with the light off and my duvet turned to stone. :omg:

There are also accounts of deaths and disappearances of campers and hikers in remote areas. This incident will fit RIGHT in there.
A bit like Mr Nightmare, then....

You would think that three missing campers would have been a huge story, which only leads me to believe this may have been illegal immigrants or people who did not want to found or seen

You would think that three missing campers would have been a huge story, which only leads me to believe this may have been illegal immigrants or people who did not want to found or seen
People seem to go missing in the American National Parks all the time. Three at a time seems excessive though.

There's still no sign of the missing French two year-old.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...sing-french-toddler-haut-vernet-b2374396.html

The major land and air search for missing two-year-old Emile in a hamlet in the French Alps has been called off after four days as investigators say they are moving to a second “phase” of the operation.
Local prosecutor Remy Avon said the search did not yield any clues to solving the mystery of the boy’s disappearance and instead, investigators will now shift their focus to evaluating evidence already gathered.

He added: “The investigation into the causes of his disappearance will continue, notably through analysis of the considerable amount of information and elements gathered over four days.”
Emile was last seen playing in the garden of a property in Le Vernet in the Alpes-de-Haute department of Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, with his grandparents notifying the police of his disappearance at around 5.15pm local time on Saturday.

If they haven't been identified it seems strange they apparently had no ID on them, even credit cards or something.
That's why I suspect it was something to do with illegal migration

Some details differ in this report. Two bodies were found in a tent with the third outside the camp. It implies that their identities are known but will not be released until next of kin are informed.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending...colorado-campsite/3FC3KFNRJNEB3O3QARRAHO57EE/

Two of the three bodies were found in a small tent that was zipped up and the other was found outside of the camp, Gunnison County Sheriff Adam Murdie said according to The Associated Press.
The coroner is not expected to release the identities of the three people until their next of kin is notified.

Thank you so much for introducing me to Mr Ballen. Much needed creepiness.

Shows the difference between Communist China and Communist Russia.
In Russia, opponents get publically dead. In China, they disappear.
The Chinese first try 're-education' - i.e. indoctrination, brainwashing, coercion, perhaps even low-key torture. Sometimes they will release such a person if they feel satisfied that they are no longer a problem.

Twitter tells me about massive disappearances in China under Xi Jinping. Even ministers seem to disappear.

This is confirmed in other media. The sketch of the Beijing atmosphere is terrifying:

https://www.economist.com/china/2023/07/20/chinas-foreign-minister-goes-missing

And he;s gone.

China has removed Qin Gang as foreign minister less than seven months after he was appointed to the post.

The role will be taken up by the Communist Party's foreign affairs chief, Wang Yi, who was previously foreign minister.

Mr Qin's prolonged disappearance from public view - and his ministry's silence over it - has fuelled furious speculation. The 57-year-old's last known public engagements were on 25 June. Appointed to his post last December, Mr Qin was seen as a trusted aide of Chinese President Xi Jinping.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-66299379

Back