• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

I was convinced for many years that Alaistair Cooke was dead until somebody pointed out that he was still doing Letter From America...

If you listen carefully you may notive that he is actually fading gently ever further away - gracefully and with much dignity.

Deeply erudite. We listen to him normally on Sunday mornings. I can't think of another broadcaster who does radio so perfectly.

I was surprised to see Keith Harris on Louis Theroux meets... because I was under the impression he fell off a roof and died (Likely pushed by the duck) . Turns out it was Rod Hull. Which is a shame.

Oll_Lewis said:
I recall reading in 'world of wrestling' about a year ago that Razor Ramone (he is quite a famous wrestler from wcw and wwf) was dead but I think I saw him as part of the 'new world order' with hollywood (formally hulk) hogan and Kevin Nash (formally diesil) on the most reacent WWF main event. It was late and I was half asleap so can anyone conferm this or dose no one give a rats arse about wrestling here?

I haven't been keeping up with the wrestling news for a while, but to the best of my knowledge Scott "Razor Ramone" Hall is *not* dead. He definately wasn't dead a year ago. He has however been in and out of drug rehab since time immemorable.

Are you sure the article wasn't speaking figuratively? After all, Razor Ramone is "dead" in the sense that he's a fictional character and Scott Hall is unlikely ever to play him again.

I know too much about wrestling. It's not my fault. Bret Hart has been my god since aged seven.

-Slyth :D

*edit* He's not dead, I just checked. You're thinking of... someone who is dead.

It apeared as a stop press in the april edition of WOW in 2000 I think so it could have been a sick april fool the editors had played on them...
The artical said that Hall himslf not the charactor had died from an over dose so it may have been one of those 'unconfermed' reports.

Warrior and Hogan were my faves as a Kid I also liked randy savage ,yokozuna (now definatly dead as it was reported in several of liverpools local newspapers (cos he died in liverpool) and on wwf.com ) curently my fave wrestler is Kurt Angle:)

I always thought that Richard Simmons died many years ago. I seem to remember some report saying that he had suffered a heart attack. Imagine my shock when I saw him prancing around on Oprah!

"I'm a pony, I'm a pony"

Re: I can't believe it...

pantha2k said:
Bob Hope is still alive? I am convinced I read his obituary and saw a million news items on his departure.

I just went on to the imdb and he is still going. What is going on? I thought he would be as dead as his jokes by now...

...I'm scared - I need help!!!!!!:(

I thought he was dead too...

?

pinkle

Slytherin said:
I was surprised to see Keith Harris on Louis Theroux meets... because I was under the impression he fell off a roof and died (Likely pushed by the duck) . Turns out it was Rod Hull. Which is a shame.

! Rod fell off a roof trying to realign his Telly areil to recive channel five...nuf said

This now poses the following question:-

Is Emu also dead?

Well possibly, until a new hand inherits his inner being.

Aparently Emus are runing mad over S OZ at the moment makein a horrible mess due to drought in thier more northerly home.. desipte thier numbers being halved in last decade people are fixing to shoot em... perhapse they are insensed by thier cousins demise.......or not being able to get channel five.

Milton Berle...when he died, i was surprised becuz i thought he died already.

For your guidance

My friend Mark keeps a regularly updated "Stiff List" (fnarr) with carefully kept columns headed: Please Not Yet; About Bloody Time; Coffin Dodging; Come On, You Bastard and I Wouldn't Be At All Surprised. His own recommendations for veneration, beatification and sainthood are also listed in order of preference shown by the votes cast by interested friends. Yes, he does have other friends.

Well up until about 2 months ago I thought Herbet Lom had croaked it in.. Oh, I dunno, the early 80's I guess. I was completely astonished to find him chatting away (& looking quite lively I might add) on some recent TV programme.

I still can't sodding well believe it!

:)

BUSTER BLOODVESSEL'S STILL ALIVE???!!

I thought Mick Ronson died of cancer?

Michael Bentine was interviewed in FT way back in the day..

David said:
Just 1960's technology Blueswidow!!!!!!

They had much the same thing on M B's earlier TV series: "It's a Square World" which was early 60's!!!!!!

Which in MHO, was one of the best programs of the time, dunno' if tapes of any of the programs still exist though!!!
Having read Mr Bentine's books, one while in solitary confinement in a hospital room when my cancer surgery scar was temporarily implanted with a radio-active metal to kill off any stray cancer cells
(the room was complete with lead barrier and commode - Yuk!) I can confirm that none of the tapes survive. Apparently he had a big row with the TV company and as retribution they destroyed all his work - was it the BEEB? Anyway he was pretty miffed about it.

I think he was the next goon to die after Peter Sellers.

I thought this thread was dead, but it's nice to see it back in the realm of the living.

that would actually make a neat t-shirt:

PEOPLE YOU THOUGHT WERE DEAD

(and then a pic of some random old or obscure famous type.)

The bloke who played Inspector Morse: (cant remember his real name)

I definitely remember him dying in 1998, I was still living with my mum at the time and remember her going on about how much she loved Morse and what a shame it was.

However, he then died *again* in 2001...

BTW I had always thought Sellers, Milligan and Secombe were all the Goons, and Bentine was in something else...

Goldstein said:
BTW I had always thought Sellers, Milligan and Secombe were all the Goons, and Bentine was in something else...
When the Goons first started Spike Milligan wrote the scripts and the other three (Bentine, Sellers and Secombe) played the characters. However after a while Michael Bentine decided he wanted to do his own thing and Spike Milligan took over his characterisations. So most people only remember the three who stayed the whole time the show ran.

Bring back Bluebottle and Co.!

Goldstein said:
I definitely remember him dying in 1998, I was still living with my mum at the time and remember her going on about how much she loved Morse and what a shame it was.

However, he then died *again* in 2001...
The character Morse "died" in 1998, the actor (John Thaw) died in 2001.

Tonight's Manchester Evening News gives a column inch to the
death at 85 of George Mitchell at a Shropshire nursing home.

Who was he? In our family he was known as Uncle Bram's Sergeant,
due to some accident of wartime. Which side he was on is harder
to work out, for his claim to fame was that The George Mitchell
Singers were aka The Black and White Minstrels.

These terrorised the viewing Nation until the early nineteen seventies when
their weirdness was suddenly noticed. Peg sales went down till a marginally
less frightening tribute act called Papa Lazarou arrived. :eek:

Lillith.....I worked out how the Bentine thing was done when I watched it as a nipper.
I got some sand in a shoebox; cut out holes as foot prints on one strip of card, left the other blank and cut a slot for the card to slide out and in through. Then filled the box up with sand, leaving a little gap between the 2 strips of card. When I slid the card slowly out of the box, the sand caved in where the holes were, (Foot print shaped holes). This gave the same effect, albeit more crude. I think "They" did it by lowering pegs in the shape of whatever was supposed to be there.
Yes, I was a wierd little bastard in the mid 70s. :p

On a different note.....can you rename this thread to "The most red coloured emphasis on words thread"? lol! It has the most red in any other thread. (It's the honeycombed middle that tastes so little)

I had thought Snake Plissken was dead.
Then one day he showed up out of the blue, tore up the place and stole my car!!!!
/obvious joke

I remain convinced that Dickie Bird the cricket umpire is in fact dead, and has been for some years. I care little that he keeps popping up on tv - it is imho simply his ghost

So there.

I thought that james Doohan - Scottie from Star Trek was dead but lo and behold he becomes a father at 84!

When I was a kid, I remember seeing the beginning of an episode of 'There's a Lot of It About' where it was gravely announced that Spike Milligan had died. I immediately ran to my parents to inform them of the news, and left them trying to work out how old he was. Some weeks later, 'What's My Line?' is on ITV and who crops up as the celebrity guest - you've guessed it... Turns out that the obituary was the opening sketch of that particular episode of 'TaLoIA', and I hadn't seen the end where, if I recall, he burst through the screen protesting that he was very much alive. Ah Spike, I miss you, you sweetly twisted loon... :D

I remember watching an edition of the 'The Tube', a British eighties pop programme,circa 1985/86. The presenter, Jools Holland,was at the piano with Alison Moyet(I think) and Eric Burdon - he of The Animals fame. Now, I think I remember before the programme aired or during it,i'm sure which that this particular clip was being aired as a tribute to Eric Burdon who had just died !

Fast forward to 2002. One of our friends is having a birthday. His wife tells us that she has arranged a surprise for him. He's a big Eric Burdon fan. She's booked two tickets for one of his gigs...I protest to her that they can't see Eric Burdon, he's dead!!! She looks at me like i'm crazy....

Sure enough, they saw him,in the flesh,in glorious technicolour,still alive! I was overjoyed obviously,but none-plussed:confused: !!Fast forward again to 2004 and Eric announces his new autobiography and tour on Radio2!! .......did I imagine his death??? Did anyone else see that item on the Tube???

Can't comment on Eric Burdon or The Tube I'm afraid, though until (literally) last week I was convinced Gerry Anderson had been dead for about five or six years.

Rather bizarrely, my partner's reaction on being asked 'Gerry Anderson? But he's dead isn't he?' was:

'No, but by all accounts he's an utter git.'

The brain that can produce that thought process alone has to qualify as an area if Forteana doesn't it?

That's odd cos I thought he was dead for a bit. Maybe we're getting him mixed up with Gene Roddenbury, or maybe it was his wife who did the voice for Lady Penelope. That would explain Thunderbirds-themed obits.

Nah, Mrs Anderson is alive. She was on Sky TV News this week praising the new Thunderbirds fillum.

This 'thought they were dead' has happened so often to me that I'm only faintly surprised when it happens now.

What's that other new fillum..... The Stepford Wives........ :eek:

Back