• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

years ago i went to a talk by that anderson and he might as well have been dead for all the excitement he generated

eric burdon will never die

Oh good -- I'm SO glad someone else has raised this issue of near-dead experiences!!
About 5 yrs ago me and my partner were listening to the radio when the DJ got all maudlin and started talking about his 'old mate' Holly Johnson (from Frankie Goes to Hollywood -- massive 80s band) and wondering how he was ... well, I turned to my husband and said 'Holly Johnson -- he died of AIDS a few years ago, didn't he?'
Husband duly agreed and called DJ a stupid **** for going on about someone when they were so obviously dead.
Roll on to recent years ... and suddenly Holly Johnson IS alive again.
SO -- either he has unlocked the secret of the Undead, or me and husband both entered a 'celeb-is-dead' parallel universe.

Yes, I thought Holly Johnson had died from AIDS years ago too.
Maybe celebrities have some way of faking their deaths legally or something.
Applying that line of logic, perhaps this means that Elvis, Marilyn etc. are still alive? :rolleyes:

Turns out that Holly contracted AIDS then retired from public life.
He is still alive, but not doing much.

I could swear I saw a tribute to Roger Moore on TV after his death a few years ago. I'm sure I even remember the obituaries. I was utterly convinced he was six feet under until I saw a recent interview with him. He looked alive enough to me. Unless it was the interview I imagined and he is dead. Is he?
Someone also convinced me Beach Boy Brian Wilson was dead. He still managed to go on tour recently.
Finally, and I suppose it was just too ironic to be true, a friend of mine was fully convinced that Bobby McFerrin committed suicide years ago. Also currently touring.

The bf has somehow contracted the notion that either Albert Finney or Terence Stamp has died and all the googling in the world won't shift him. :rolleyes:

Elvis is definately dead
no one would fake such a pitiful death
He would have done a John Entwistle I reckon.bag of coke,profesional lady,aging rocker=heart explosion

John Entwhistle went the way I want to go......:cool:

I was convined for years that Axel Rose had died. I swear I heard it mentioned on MTV. Like wise i was convinced that Alaistair Cooke was dead and was very pleased he wasn't...and then he died.

If only I had known about theDead people server

HOW peeps have died seems to change too.

I was certain that Mick Ronson had died in a helicopter crash but now it seems he had liver cancer. This crash also killed Alice Cooper Band member Glen Buxton, who actually died of pneumonia at least a year later.

Lost Idols has a list of who, when and how in relation to rock'n'roll deaths.

Sad reading it makes too. :(

Evilsprout- yup, deadoralive is great. I looked when you posted it recently and noticed some names which the media here seemed to have missed.

Aha, Stevie Ray Vaughan died in 1990 in a helicopter crash. I wonder if that's where I got the idea from.

Lord, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard that SRV was gone. I was gutted.

And yet Justin Timberlake walks among us. There is no God.

I remember SRVs death too, I read about it in the paper the next day. The thing which really ticked me off was that the front page had full page shot of Eric Clapton and a headline saying how he had narrowly escaped death in a helicopter crash. Lucky, I thought, until I saw the little photo of SRV and a note saying how he hadn't been so lucky. I was gutted.

And Patrick Moore!!!

He keeps on dying too. But then he still lives.
Sacha Distel was sp'osed to have died when i was at school in the 80s ... but has only just 'officiially' passed on.
And what about the enigma of Battersea Power Station??!! As much as i try to persuade my mum, dad and family to the contrary, they are all utterly CONVINCED that they saw Battersea Power Station blown up on TV about 15 yrs ago ... funny, cos i go past it on the train most days, and it's still there.
They must also 'miss' all those TV and newspaper reports of 'What now for Battersea Power Station?' when a developer announces a new idea to convert it into a concert venue or urban circus etc. etc.
Maybe buildings/events should join the un-dead celebs and rock star phenomenon ... or maybe people truly are blind and deaf to what they want to see/hear.

I was absolutely sure that George Thorogood of George Thorogood and the Destroyers ( the band that did Bad to the Bone and One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer) was dead. Then I read a review of a concert he performed in Dallas in the early months of 2004 and have to say I was quite shocked he was still alive.

I thought actors Peter Boyle (Young Frankenstein, Joe) and George Kennedy (the Airport movies) were dead, because I have two books that list them as having died. I was surprised to see Boyle on The X Files and Kennedy interviewed on TV later on.

The great Dora Bryan and Bernard Cribbins still living? So it seems.
They are both in a R4 play now. :eek:

Monday 9 August

Looks like Rain Again

By Jimmie Chinn

Following their mother's funeral, Joyce and Stan have been at her house uncovering old resentments. They are shattered when Charlie their long-lost brother suddenly arrives on the doorstep.

With Dora Bryan, Bernard Cribbins, and Roy Barraclough.

Roy Barraclough, yup, I didn't think HE was dead.

Bernard Cribbins was good on Celebrity Mastermind a couple of weeks ago. He was the runner up.

Rrose Selavy said:
I thought that james Doohan - Scottie from Star Trek was dead but lo and behold he becomes a father at 84!

Heck, I thought he was dead too!!!
I think the actor who played 'Bones' McCoy (DeForest Kelly) is dead, though.

'Star Trek's' Doohan has Alzheimer's

http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/usworld/7342960.htm
07/08/04

Associated Press

SEATTLE -- James M. Doohan, the actor who played Scotty on the '60s "Star Trek" TV series, has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, his agent confirmed Tuesday.

Doohan, 84, was diagnosed with Alzheimer's "within the last couple months," agent Steven Stevens told The Associated Press.

He said Doohan is in the beginning stages of the disease, a progressive neurological disorder that afflicted former President Ronald Reagan, who died June 5.

Doohan also has suffered for some time with Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis, the latter due to chemical exposure during World War II when he was a soldier in the Canadian military, Stevens said.

He lives in Redmond, a suburb northeast of Seattle.

Doohan's career spans more than 50 years, but he's best known for his role as the USS Enterprise's affable chief engineer, Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery "Scotty" Scott, in the original 1966-69 "Star Trek" TV series.

Doohan has lived in Redmond for almost a dozen years with his wife, Wende. They have a 4-year-old daughter and two older sons, and Doohan has four children from a previous marriage, Stevens said.

Doohan is scheduled to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Aug. 31.

He plans to attend a three-day "Star Trek" farewell convention, Aug. 28-30, in Hollywood, Stevens said. All surviving members of the original Enterprise crew are scheduled to attend, including William Shatner, who played Capt. James T. Kirk, and Leonard Nimoy, who was Mr. Spock.

---

i think ive said this before...but Four year old daughter!...hes 84 now!.. the "reuninion" should be fun as hes on record as saying he hated Shatner (he even refused to talk to him for Shatners book..and its repututed that he refused to be on set with him in at lest some of the films)

I am so glad that I found this thread, this beliving people to be dead, who then turn up, has baffled me for years.

Its occured to me to many times to mention, and I can recall hearing reports of people deaths over the media. Then a few years later they turn up.

This could all be us misunderstanding or being misinformed, but my feeling is the usual "somthings going on". The only ideas I have are so crazy that I cant belive they'er true. So I watch this thread with great intrest, in the hope we can come up with a theory.:headbutt: :headbutt:

A woman I know told me how her father had died a lingering death while refusing any care help, so his wife had to wash and dress him and so on, and had died soon after.
Quite traumatic all round.

Then I saw the two of them walking down the street :eek:
I had somehow misunderstood, it was her father and mother IN LAW who'd died. :D
Nearly dropped dead meself. That'll teach me to listen. :rolleyes:

I swear I heard on t.v. Ricardo Montalban (spelling?) died a couple of years ago... and yet he was recently in a movie.

I walked into the living room last year to inform my housemates that Dolly Parton was dead. Dunno where it came from, but I did a quick google and found this:

http://www.dollywood.com/

*shudder*

And she wasn't dead.

Saw Ernest Borgnine doing a TV commercial for something crappy. Here I thought he'd been dead for years.

Second entry

I've actually had a reply posted here last week and now its gone, so I'll try again.
All I said was that in 1985 I used to be into Heavy Metal with my best friend who was french. She had her whole room plastered with posters. One of which showed Mickey Mars (?) from Motley Crue showing his teeth. Above was a caption in french saying someyhing like: Il mort.
So I thought he was dead and went through all the emotions, like thinking what a shame etc.
A little later (when my french got better) I realised that I was a thicko, because it actually ment: He bites. If he was dead it would have been "Il est mort". So really I was quite glad.
Only about 3 month later I heard that he had just died (in an accident?). So I was gobsmacked as I had done all the grieving already and put it into my mental "weird things to remember" drawer up until 2 weeks ago. I actually wrote this reply (less detailed) and as I'm trying to find it its gone! I know it was published as I always check to make sure.
So this time I think to myself to check out MC's website to get a little more info (I.e names and time of death etc.), when I find that NOBODY ever died, ever?!?!
I am truly confused in "real-time" now. I am 100% sure he died!
There.

I can always remember watching Dad's Army when I was a kid and it didn't matter who was watching it with you I'd always get a running commentary from someone inmy family along the lines of "He's dead" every time someone came on screen.
I was suprised to say the least when Private Pike, who my family unanimously belivied to be the first to die is alive and well and is now on Eastenders. Is my family weird or does every one do the dad's army death count thing?

The irony with Dad's Army is that it was one one of the younger cast members - James Beck who played Walker - who died first.

not Godfrey....

P J Proby

Died on stage in Blackpool years ago...

...or so I believed. I was sure I heard it on the radio news once.

Became a standing joke between me and the ex that did.

Back