• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Some years ago, I heard that 'Big Will' - host of my local pub in those days - had died.

Couple of months later, in nearby B&Q, he's alive:

'I heard you had died mate'.

Big Will responds, 'Not you as well...'.

Often wondered since then, what if must be like if you suddenly become aware that everyone thinks you have died.

Last edited:
... Is there not a well known American 'country' artist who keeps having to refute massive online rumors that he had died? Sure I came across this a few years back.

Two possibilities come to mind ...

Willie Nelson has been dealing with death hoaxes and the butt end of the Mandela Effect for years.

There was a death hoax concerning Reba McEntire some years ago.

For a while I have thought Jean-Paul Belmondo was dead. Nope, he's 85 y.o. and very much alive.

He was in the crowd at the French Tennis Open this year, the camera picked him out.

I heard someome mention in conversation his week how said it was to hear that former 'Carry On'/EastEnders actress Barbara Windsor's health had further deteriorated.

I thought they must be mistaken, as I clearly recall she died a couple of years ago.

I could even remember the fond, full front page, tabloid newspaper tributes to her.

Looks like what I must have been mindful of were the news accolades when she retired from acting.

I honestly can't believe my memories could be so mistaken like this.

Richard Chamberlain is still alive, to my surprise. Not that I "remember" him dying, more that I had assumed he died years ago. Happy to be wrong, though!

Less happily, I recently had what might be termed a dead/not/dead scenario with Sean Hughes. Saw him on the TV, thought he was actually still alive, then checked, and of course, he isn't.

I heard someome mention in conversation his week how said it was to hear that former 'Carry On'/EastEnders actress Barbara Windsor's health had further deteriorated.

I thought they must be mistaken, as I clearly recall she died a couple of years ago.

I could even remember the fond, full front page, tabloid newspaper tributes to her.

Looks like what I must have been mindful of were the news accolades when she retired from acting.

I honestly can't believe my memories could be so mistaken like this.
I really thought she had died as well some time ago and read it in the news.

Lisbet Palme who died today. I was certain I saw a brief mention of her death somewhere a few years ago and was surprised it didn't get more coverage. It could have been a hoax I guess that I took at face value but I'm certain I read it somewhere.

Just went through some of the old posts on here. Sad to see how many of the people who were still alive even quite recently have since left us.

Nah, she just won her first acting award - For services to innuendo and double entendres.

Nice to know someone finally gave her one.

:rcard::mcoat:

Robert Duvall, I was sure he was dead but he has a supporting role in Widows.

Same with Dick Van Dyke but he's in Mary Poppins Returns.

I thang-you!

I posted that gaes ago on the jokes thread and nobody batted an eye. I think it's brilliant (not my creation though).

Babs: It's a bit small. Have you got a large one?
Sid James: I've had no complaints so far!
sidjames6.jpg

Albert Bandura. Famous psychologist. But he's not. His mate Zimbardo told me.

I was pretty sure Jerry Stiller died a few months ago, but now I've read he's in hospital.

Clive Swift, famous for Keeping Up Appearances, died last week. I'd thought he died ages ago but perhaps was thinking of Geoffrey Hughes who was also in it and died a few years back.

)One day someone'll say 'Oooh, Scargy's died!' and someone will reply 'Thought she died years ago!')

Back