• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom Hitchhikers & Road Ghosts

Most of the ghosts of Hampton court are low level. The majority of cases are fabrications or exaggerations dating from Victorian times. This comes from a tour guide (now retired) at the palace who has had access to the records.

as for paranormal groups, I don't bother with them as having read their reports, interacted with them, they're mostly delusional and their methods are akin to "Most Haunted Wannabes."

As for the work I've done, hardly any were famous places. And as Ruth has found, some places have said "no, nothing here but did you know about...?" and come up with new locations.

But still, thanks for making me feel like shit and that my work has been worthless. Really appreciate that. I'm off. Goodbye.

Oh dear. It certainly wasn't my intention to upset you mate and I apologise unreservedly if you feel I've insulted you.

Most of the ghosts of Hampton court are low level. The majority of cases are fabrications or exaggerations dating from Victorian times. This comes from a tour guide (now retired) at the palace who has had access to the records.

as for paranormal groups, I don't bother with them as having read their reports, interacted with them, they're mostly delusional and their methods are akin to "Most Haunted Wannabes."

As for the work I've done, hardly any were famous places. And as Ruth has found, some places have said "no, nothing here but did you know about...?" and come up with new locations.

But still, thanks for making me feel like shit and that my work has been worthless. Really appreciate that. I'm off. Goodbye.
Don't go mate.

Have previously praised your research on this forum, so sorry if you felt that way.

I somewhat disagree with your stance, but only in a academic way, it is not personal. Any research into the paranormal is worthwhile and that comment about Hampton Court etc was more aimed at lazy journalists who dig out the same tired old hauntings and dubious photographs.

Last edited:

Also agree that those paranormal groups are a curse on all things Fortean. Most of their 'findings' are nothing more than wishful thinking and scaring themselves silly in the dark. It is up to them what they want to do with their spare time but please spare us your photos with an odd reflection that you claim to be a ghostly monk etc.

as for paranormal groups, I don't bother with them as having read their reports, interacted with them, they're mostly delusional and their methods are akin to "Most Haunted Wannabes.

Yeah, fair enough, good point.

On the Isle of Wight (a great Fortean location) near the village of Brighstone, there was the legend of a giant hare, who would leap over pedestrians walking at night, from one side of the lane to another.
A lack of recorded accounts, plus any recent reports of said big bouncer, leads me to think it was an old tale recounted by a drunken farm hand after having a drink in the New Inn, now known as the Three Bishops.

As an aside, have there been any recent reports of paranormal activity on the Stocksbridge Bypass, A616?
Any chance it was an escaped wallaby/kangaroo?

I was wondering why we havent heard more of road ghosts and cryptids appearing on dashcams. They seem to be able to pick up all sorts of other interesting events such as meteors, etc.
Interesting thought.

I suppose dash cams are more likely to be used in urban environments eg taxis. I can’t say if there are fewer road ghosts in urban areas or if you are less likely to notice them in a bustling environment.

I guess time will tell as they become more prevalent in all areas of the country….

Have witnessed deer jumping between rows of grape vines, astonishing agility. Tasty, too...
I was driving home around 2am about 10 years ago in quite a built up area when a deer ran across the road in front of me and jumped over a railing surrounding a small water company pumping station. The railing was around 6 feet high and the old victorian type with spikes on top so don't know if it cleared it completely or was lucky in planting its front feet between the spikes?

I was driving home around 2am about 10 years ago in quite a built up area when a deer ran across the road in front of me and jumped over a railing surrounding a small water company pumping station. The railing was around 6 feet high and the old victorian type with spikes on top so don't know if it cleared it completely or was lucky in planting its front feet between the spikes?
Deer tend to know their own patch and can jump to a height of over 7ft apparently. Quite possible that one had done that before

Deer tend to know their own patch and can jump to a height of over 7ft apparently. Quite possible that one had done that before
I reckon that was it -it was quite big and didn't hesitate, just dashed across the road and jumped in one big leap.

I was wondering why we havent heard more of road ghosts and cryptids appearing on dashcams. They seem to be able to pick up all sorts of other interesting events such as meteors, etc.
There's quite a few paranormal "Top Tens" videos on You Tube that feature dashcam footage. Usually from the Middle East or Russia.

Very few on the IoW, even in captivity.
Fair enough. I just wondered because they seem to commonly be mistaken for 'very large rabbits' by people whose brains are most used to seeing anything hopping with long ears being a rabbit (or a hare).

The original tale was from the mid-Victorian era, so mistaken identification is likely though the 'natural' identity might be far less. :)
Thing is, while the tale persisted, there were no other sightings.

Attachments

• St C.png
    St C.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Also, motorists don’t offer lifts to dogs they see by the side of the road but rather assume it has an owner
I knew a couple who once picked up a cat they hit, take it to a vet, pay for the cost of surgery, took care of the cat while it healed and then let it go back in its own neighborhood to find its way home. I also know someone who picked up an injured dog left near a road. Tried to find the owner, but no owner, and kept the dog himself. Turner out to be a wonderful, if somewhat dopey, dog. A good sweet dog.
Going off topic a bit, but I'm still somewhat confused about my previously reported midnight sighting of the image of the husky type dog sat at the end of our bed. Lasted for at least 30 seconds while I stared at it. Our little cat, sat at the other corner of the bed, did the same but unperturbed. Never had such a dog although a previous owner may have. This is in stark contrast to the very large Husky type dog who would often appear in my home and cause huge panic to the same cat. This was a real dog who would sneak in having escaped from her neglectful owner.( Could never work out how she got in until I witnessed her opening the door with the handle.) Perhaps the cat recognised the difference between a real dog and a "ghostly" one?
Maybe the very large Husky type dog came back to apologize to the cat? And to you? Since she was smart enough to open one type of door, why not another . . . :p

Hey everyone - just stopping by to say the latest book on Road Ghosts has just published! Its available as eBook, or as paperback, or you can read it for free if you have Kindle Unlimited. Or, if you want a signed copy, you can order direct from me. Obviously I don't charge anything for signing, just the book cost plus postage. You can find it on Amazon by searching The Roadmap of British Ghosts Volume Two.
Cover RBG2.jpg

Having tried to help a bit, however ineffectually, with some of research into tracking witnesses I can vouch for how much effort you put into your work and although I haven’t read Ruth’s work yet I imagine she does the same.

It is a lot more valuable IMHO than a lot of people standing around in the dark with dubious equipment trying to scare themselves.. I’m sure some investigations of this nature have some merit but it is they that are diluting research not people like you and Ruth.

I enjoy reading “spooky “ stories and watching videos but so many now have no provenance and many are being lost or subsumed into dubious You Tube and TV "investigations" (OK some are genuine and or well intentioned but many are not.)

We need the sort of work that you, @DrPaulLee and @RuthRoperWylde are doing. Hope you stay with the forum and continue your work and comments on this forum.

Just my opinion.

Hey everyone - just stopping by to say the latest book on Road Ghosts has just published! Its available as eBook, or as paperback, or you can read it for free if you have Kindle Unlimited. Or, if you want a signed copy, you can order direct from me. Obviously I don't charge anything for signing, just the book cost plus postage. You can find it on Amazon by searching The Roadmap of British Ghosts Volume Two.
View attachment 59841
Going to get volume 1 tomorrow on paper if its in stock....just in time for my Halloween fix.

Having tried to help a bit, however ineffectually, with some of research into tracking witnesses I can vouch for how much effort you put into your work and although I haven’t read Ruth’s work yet I imagine she does the same.

It is a lot more valuable IMHO than a lot of people standing around in the dark with dubious equipment trying to scare themselves.. I’m sure some investigations of this nature have some merit but it is they that are diluting research not people like you and Ruth.

I enjoy reading “spooky “ stories and watching videos but so many now have no provenance and many are being lost or subsumed into dubious You Tube and TV "investigations" (OK some are genuine and or well intentioned but many are not.)

We need the sort of work that you, @DrPaulLee and @RuthRoperWylde are doing. Hope you stay with the forum and continue your work and comments on this forum.

Just my opinion.
Definitely time for you to get reading, then! :hahazebs::litg:

View attachment 59841
Just started to read the first Roadmap book and got to give you credit on your research for a large book plus like the UK Decay story...well done.

Back