• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Phantom Hitchhikers & Road Ghosts

I've just realised that this is on @RuthRoperWylde 's patch. Do you know anything more about this one Ruth?
I've got an interesting encounter at Deadman's Cross on the A600 ..
Thursday in November 2016 - a motorbike rider stopped to help an old soldier who appeared to have fallen in the hedge...
Full write up in The Roadmap of British Ghosts (first volume)

Had an uncle who lived in Flitwick and would visit on the train. Never got out into the countryside and I feel people who only see the transport corridor of the motorway probably get the impression it isn't as rural and scenic as it clearly is.

A mention too for haunted Flitwick Manor that featured on Michael Aspell's 'Strange But True?'. I once knew a chef who had worked there and attested to it being haunted, as do many guests it would seem:

"Sorry to disappoint, but nothing actually went bump in the night, although I did believe that I felt some sort of presence in the room. Perhaps I wanted to believe it, but I did say to VIP that the hotel must be haunted – it was so old that people must have passed there. The presence I thought I felt wasn’t intimidating though – it felt like we were just being observed, so I felt safe enough to not pay too much attention."

https://www.homeandhorizon.com/hallmark-hotel-flitwick-manor-review/
There's a whole section on Flitwick Manor including first hand accounts in These Haunted Times Volume 3.

Funnily enough, when I first came to Filey I tentatively asked about any local ghost legendary. I was met with a bemused denial. I put it down to Yorkshire's folk being level headed. Hmmm.
Since then, seven years ago, I've heard very vague reports of noises, feelings of being watched etc. in a couple of pubs. But it's all very low-key.

Traditionally, it was when fairies led people out of their way by magic, trapping them in an area from which they could find no exit, until the fairies tired of their game - so if someone gets lost in a field or a wood that they know very well and are unable to find the way out, they are pixie-led.

Alternatively pixie lead is what fairies load their rifles with.
Back in October my sister-in-law took her dog out for a walk in the woods at 10am, and didn’t return home again until 8.30pm, saying that she had got lost, even though she takes the dog to the same part of the forest every day.

She also didn’t take her mobile phone with her conveniently.

Mrs DT's take on her sisters short disappearance was - bollox she got lost.

Read into that what you will I suppose. :itslove: :)

Last edited:
Back in October my sister-in-law took her dog out for a walk in the woods at 10am, and didn’t return home again until 8.30pm, saying that she had got lost, even though she takes the dog to the same part of the forest every day.

Mrs DT's take on her sisters short disappearance it was - bollox she got lost.

Depending on your SIL's age, this could be worth keeping an eye on, just to be on the safe side.

Mrs DT's take on her sisters short disappearance it was - bollox she got lost.

Ten and a half hours is a long time to get lost in an English wood and to not come across anyone else.
I could understand it in the Amazon, but here?

Ten and a half hours is a long time to get lost in an English wood and to not come across anyone else.
I could understand it in the Amazon, but here?
That's the point Mr F. Mrs DT doesn't believe she got lost in the woods at all.

Her relationship with her Husband has been on the rocks for a long time, if you know what I mean.

That's the point Mr F. Mrs DT doesn't believe she got lost in the woods at all.

Her relationship with her Husband has been on the rocks for a long time, if you know what I mean.
Yup, maybe she's at the point where she might take off for a bit of fun and just tell the t'mister any old crap.
It doesn't matter whether he believes her or not, she doesn't care any more.

A sad state of affairs (sic) but that's life. Been there.

This made me think of an atmospheric and quite chilling account I read on here recently, about an Irish woman who became lost in some woods and was seemingly taunted by a female fairy's voice. Not sure where that thread or post is now.

Yup, maybe she's at the point where she might take off for a bit of fun and just tell the t'mister any old crap.

Saying she was lost for TEN HOURS is past the point of 'not caring any more', it's into the 'contempt' territory.

Me too.

Maybe she just had a good day out. Shops, restaurant, secret lover, who knows? With me, but not owning a dog, I went for a long walk on the South Downs and got a meal in town about 12 miles away, had another walk along a river, had a few pints in a 16th century pub and got the train back. Told the money grabbing evil witch lady I went for a walk along the seafront.

Getting back to the road ghosts. There's a 7 or 8 mile section of the A23, the road that goes from Brighton to London, 60 miles away, that is dual carriage way and 2 lanes each side before going into 3 lanes. The dual carriage way part has no lighting and is tree lined all the way both sides. That bit is all countryside. (Bolney to Pyecombe). A few times over the years during the evening when dark, or during the night, the police have temporarily shut the road after reports of someone walking along in the road. They didn't find evidence of such. Road re opened. It was reported in the local paper, the Evening Argus ( a once good newspaper turned crap).

On a cloudy night it is really dark along that section of road and after about 8pm there is not that much traffic. Once, years ago, I was coming back to Brighton when suddenly in the headlights I saw a person walking along the very narrow grass verge between the road and the trees. As I was doing 70mph there's not really enough reaction time to give a properly wide berth and driving a largish transit I was not going to do any sudden jerky yank of the steering wheel. I was past the person in seconds. I just thought to myself what a f*cking dickhead to be walking in the dark along that stretch of road at 11pm but people do such imbecilic things sometimes. Afterwards, upon reaching civilisation, I never thought to call the police.

Did I maybe see a road ghost? Dunno. The person seemed 'solid' enough. It looked male in darkish clothing and in no hurry. Then there's the reports in local rag? Maybe they're all the same (living) person who for whatever reason walks that section of road. Maybe not though. I once had a flat tyre when driving along a motorway and changing the tyre on the hard shoulder was scary enough as when driving on a motorway you don't realise what it's like to have vehicles going past you at 60 or 70mph but on road road where the distance between the person and the vehicles is literally just a few feet? And then not to react to that and just carry on walking normally?

Last edited:
Me too.

Maybe she just had a good day out. Shops, restaurant, secret lover, who knows? With me, but not owning a dog, I went for a long walk on the South Downs and got a meal in town about 12 miles away, had another walk along a river, had a few pints in a 16th century pub and got the train back. Told the money grabbing evil witch lady I went for a walk along the seafront.

Getting back to the road ghosts. There's a 7 or 8 mile section of the A23, the road that goes from Brighton to London, 60 miles away, that is dual carriage way and 2 lanes each side before going into 3 lanes. The dual carriage way part has no lighting and is tree lined all the way both sides. That bit is all countryside. (Bolney to Pyecombe). A few times over the years during the evening when dark, or during the night, the police have temporarily shut the road after reports of someone walking along in the road. They didn't find evidence of such. Road re opened. It was reported in the local paper, the Evening Argus ( a once good newspaper turned crap).

On a cloudy night it is really dark along that section of road and after about 8pm there is not that much traffic. Once, years ago, I was coming back to Brighton when suddenly in the headlights I saw a person walking along the very narrow grass verge between the road and the trees. As I was doing 70mph there's not really enough reaction time to give a properly wide berth and driving a largish transit I was not going to do any sudden jerky yank of the steering wheel. I was past the person in seconds. I just thought to myself what a f*cking dickhead to be walking in the dark along that stretch of road at 11pm but people do such imbecilic things sometimes. Afterwards, upon reaching civilisation, I never thought to call the police.

Did I maybe see a road ghost? Dunno. The person seemed 'solid' enough. It looked male in darkish clothing and in no hurry. Then there's the reports in local rag? Maybe they're all the same (living) person who for whatever reason walks that section of road. Maybe not though. I once had a flat tyre when driving along a motorway and changing the tyre on the hard shoulder was scary enough as when driving on a motorway you don't realise what it's like to have vehicles going past you at 60 or 70mph but on road road where the distance between the person and the vehicles is literally just a few feet? And then not to react to that and just carry on walking normally?
I used to go to the JCB factories in Uttoxeter and going to one of them down a straight B road with no footpath, a huge guy wearing a T-shirt (in Winter) walking the opposite way, waved at me.

Next time I went he was there again.

I asked one of the guys in the factory about him and they said oh, that's old John who used to work here- always wears a T-shirt all year round.

My point is that if I'd only seen him once as I sped past, especially at night, and hadn't asked about him, he would have (possibly) seemed more mysterious and out of place than he turned out to be.

I used to go to the JCB factories in Uttoxeter and going to one of them down a straight B road with no footpath, a huge guy wearing a T-shirt (in Winter) walking the opposite way, waved at me.

Next time I went he was there again.

I asked one of the guys in the factory about him and they said oh, that's old John who used to work here- always wears a T-shirt all year round.

My point is that if I'd only seen him once as I sped past, especially at night, and hadn't asked about him, he would have (possibly) seemed more mysterious and out of place than he turned out to be.
I agree. Most of these things do have a mundane explanation. It's the not knowing that is issue which then turns into the could it be, might it be type of speculation.

The Swan was my late uncle's local. As a retired lifelong railwayman he appreciated the view of the Midland mainline in addition to the red wine and Sunday lunches. We held his post-funeral drinks there but alas no ghostly activity.
They weren't serving food when I stopped by after a long, freezing walk. I felt obliged to stay for a pint, though, since they were so friendly.

A new phantom hitchhiker case from Devon:

"Vanishing Woman​

Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: Late 2022
Further Comments: A woman who stepped out in front of a car vanished just prior to impact. The site is home to a tree, according to folklore, used to hang criminals; it is unclear whether the phantom woman was a victim of the hangman or a mourner."

https://www.paranormaldatabase.com/recent/index.php

I remember seeing this case on the telly years ago, maybe presented by Michael Aspel... no idea what program it would be though.

The mysterious leaping into the road, and then disappearing, is typical of road ghosts, and makes this seem more than an encounter with an odd, but mundane person. As someone who has experienced multiple ghosts, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.
I now think that this must have been on the Strange But True? TV series, there must have been an episode dedicated to road ghosts. I recall watching something about the fascinating Uniondale case in South Africa, and it may have been the same episode/programme.

Last edited:
Thanks! I had no idea there were so many episodes! S1:E& had "Stocksbridge Bypass/Angels" and S2:E5 has "Cursed Stone/Phantom Hitchhiker", both relevant to this thread. I suspect it was the second of these that covered the Unsworth Case, and perhaps Uniondale.
I thought that, but it's from South Africa in 1968;

Have we had this one fron Sevenoaks?

A21 Sevenoaks Bypass. Many motorists have claimed that they have experienced paranormal activity on the A21, numerous even stating that they have seen strange figures stepping out in front of cars and then completely disappearing.

Where the new dual carriageway intersects with the *Old Gracious Lane* it is reputedly stated to be the most haunted part of the road. It has been claimed that the road disappears and is replaced by a false road which takes the car to the right.

Ghost hunters have blamed several fatal collisions over the years on this appearance.

*Gracious lane (red line) was cut in two when the bypass was built, and another nearby was removed (black).
gl.png

Back