• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Priest Claims Demons Have Learnt To Send Threatening Text Messages

I respectfully disagree. The problem with child abuse was not a blind eye, but a dependence on rules that treated it as something to be handled internally. The same type of rules govern approval of exorcism, so I expect rogue exorcists would be dealt with quickly.

The fact that this guy is apparently in good standing with the RC Church makes me think his "exorcisms" are along the lines of GingerTabby's Fr. M. There is no way the Church would countenance 20 a week unless they were faked for their psychiatric benefits. Even then it's shaky ground.

Does anyone trace the numbers these demonic texts come from?

Oh, well - it is The Star.
5318008 7734 in calculator.

I respectfully disagree. The problem with child abuse was not a blind eye, but a dependence on rules that treated it as something to be handled internally. The same type of rules govern approval of exorcism, so I expect rogue exorcists would be dealt with quickly.
Oh. That’s alright then! The Jimmy Savile excuse.

Did telephones get the same reaction when they were invented? Were there exorcisms of that technology back when Alexander Graham Bell popularised that? Or is seeing demons everywhere a modern strain of religion when it comes to technology? Did people believe printing presses were capable of being inhabited by demons too?

When the radio was invented, some did think it could perhaps be used to communicate with the dead.

Did telephones get the same reaction when they were invented? ...
In some ways, and to some extent - yes ...
“The telephone is the instrument of the devil”

In 1885, Stockholm had the greatest telephone penetration in the world. Nowhere else were there as many phones in use. Expansion of telephone service outside the capital also started quickly, thanks to the many local telephone associations.

Only a few years after the telephone was first demonstrated in Stockholm in 1877, the general public was thus aware of the new invention. At first, phones were found in general stores, telegraph offices and drug stores. The general store received a telephone number such as 1 or 2 and acted as a news center for the village. People went to the store and asked if anyone had phoned. If so, the proprietor would read the message.

Not everyone was thrilled by these developments, however. The telephone was often viewed with skepticism and not a little fear. There was something magical about sounds coming from a thin wire, and many people were afraid that the contents of the lines would spill out in some way if there was a break. Many elderly persons refused to touch a telephone for fear of electrical shock. Others tried to take advantage of the telephone ... In some towns persons suffering from rheumatism went to the telephone stations in the hope that the electrical impulses received by their bodies would cure them.

The greatest fear, however, was that the telephone was in some way able to attract evil spirits, or at least thunder and lightning. In one town it was in fact difficult to obtain premises and to recruit a manager for the telephone station, since there was widespread concern about the possible effects of the telephone lines and electricity in the station.

The build out of the telephone network quickly became evident to rural residents, who saw telephone poles being set in the ground and “telephone acrobats” climbing the poles to draw lines that crisscrossed the countryside. In the cities, lines were drawn across the roofs, creating over time an extensive network of telephone antennas and lines above the rooftops.

The telephone thus provoked anger. There were farmers, land owners and property owners who refused to allow this nuisance to pass over their land or buildings or who simply pulled down lines and destroyed them. Theft and sabotage were common as the telephone network expanded. And in the churches, the preachers likened the telephone to an instrument of the devil. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.ericsson.com/en/about-u.../the-telephone-is-the-instrument-of-the-devil

When telephones were first introduced to Ethiopia the disembodied voices were considered to be demons.
The first telegraph line in Ethiopia was constructed in the years 1897–1899 ...

The first telephones were brought by Ras Makonnen from Italy in 1890, and connected between the Palace and the Imperial treasury; the sound of disembodied voices frightened the local priests, who thought it was the work of demons. The Emperor Menelik II responded to their protests with disdain, and later used the telephone to give orders to his provincial governors. ...
SOURCE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_in_Ethiopia

Did telephones get the same reaction when they were invented? Were there exorcisms of that technology back when Alexander Graham Bell popularised that? Or is seeing demons everywhere a modern strain of religion when it comes to technology? Did people believe printing presses were capable of being inhabited by demons too?
Reminds me of this from the very good Matt Berry series 'Year of the Rabbit'.
The telephone bit starts at 3:00, but the start is good aswell.

Nothing new under the sun, I guess. See also: 5G masts that are supposed to harbour evil spirits or whatever those people believe.

Well ghost hunters who use ‘spirit boxes’ still seem to believe the dead are communicating with them via radio.

Swifty is probably the guy to ask. He's seen them in action so can make a judgment.

Luckily most of this stuff can only harm those that believe in it.

As a well-known chap once said: 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic'. I suppose the perceived nature of that 'magic' depends on the psychology of the individual experiencing it. And I suspect 'sufficiently advanced' may be a relative term - a datum which, for some, sits well back in the timeline others work to - or which can be slipped back and forth by those who wish to exploit social and cultural anxiety.

Some people once believed that train travel injured the brain. Some people now believe that vaccines can change your DNA.

It strikes me that this anxiety is not exclusive to technology - but to any form of societal progress. Many things that the majority of us take in our stride are perceived as conduits for threat on an existential level by others.

Last edited:
Stockholm telephone tower in the 1890s.

1632071051162.png

"A priest claims demons have figured out how to send threatening text messages."

Anyone reading Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens might see it differently. The demon Crowley, the one who is active in the world in the same spirit as Peter Cook's Satan - "He's omnipresent, I have to run around a lot!" - has a different opinion about Head Office.

Crowley notes that the human world is moving so fast that supernatural entitities of all sorts are struggling to catch up. The angel Aziraphile, for instance, asppears to have got as far as the 1950's and is resolutely refusing to move on from there, having found a century and a decade which is entirely to his taste. Aziraphile struggles with landline telephones and uses only a very old 1990's computer, strictly for spreadsheet accounting. Meanwhile, Crowley's superiors in Hell go absolutely blank as he struggles to explain mobile telephones to them, especially how a lot more people can be moved incrementally closer to Hell if he, Crowley, nobbles every mobile network in London on a weekday afternoon.

Crowley realises the demonic heirarchy is also stuck in the fifties. In their case, the 1350's.

Crowley might send a text message. Possibly to this priest, saying something like "It's a fair cop. We are indeed utilising modern technology to possess people." then he'd sit back and grin.

but the rest of them....

Last edited:
1632141103691.png

Also:

"Down with that sort of thing!"

"Careful, now!"

The new resident exorcist takes up a position, by express order of the Pope, in the Irish bishopric of Craggy Island. A Vatican spokesman denied this was a punishment posting for embarrasments and misfits, and said the remote Irish island could be viewed as a simple pastoral experience with life stripped to the basics, almost an extended spiritual retreat in a place time forgot.

View attachment 45329
Also:

"Down with that sort of thing!"

"Careful, now!"

The new resident exorcist takes up a position, by express order of the Pope, in the Irish bishopric of Craggy Island. A Vatican spokesman denied this was a punishment posting for embarrasments and misfits, and said the remote Irish island could be viewed as a simple pastoral experience with life stripped to the basics, almost an extended spiritual retreat in a place time forgot.
The money was just resting in his account.
As they say, possession is nine tenths of the law...

Question. If demons can learn to text, then why don't they also write letters?

'To whom it may concern,

I know what you did last summer

signed
Asropheth'

And also whether demons agonise over whether or not to put kisses on the end.

"A priest claims demons have figured out how to send threatening text messages."

Anyone reading Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens might see it differently. The demon Crowley, the one who is active in the world in the same spirit as Peter Cook's Satan - "He's omnipresent, I have to run around a lot!" - has a different opinion about Head Office.

Crowley notes that the human world is moving so fast that supernatural entitities of all sorts are struggling to catch up. The angel Aziraphile, for instance, asppears to have got as far as the 1950's and is resolutely refusing to move on from there, having found a century and a decade which is entirely to his taste. Aziraphile struggles with landline telephones and uses only a very old 1990's computer, strictly for spreadsheet accounting. Meanwhile, Crowley's superiors in Hell go absolutely blank as he struggles to explain mobile telephones to them, especially how a lot more people can be moved incrementally closer to Hell if he, Crowley, nobbles every mobile network in London on a weekday afternoon.

Crowley realises the demonic heirarchy is also stuck in the fifties. In their case, the 1350's.

Crowley might send a text message. Possibly to this priest, saying something like "It's a fair cop. We are indeed utilising modern technology to possess people." then he'd sit back and grin.

but the rest of them....
Yeah. . . I've had a few of them. Apparently, they send an e-mail and call themselves 'MailDemon!'

A priest claims demons have figured out how to send threatening text messages.

(...)

The clergyman said: “We have had three cases in which demons have texted the team and or the family of the possessed person

This is evocative of what Darren Ritson tells of poltergeist in his book "Poltergeist Parallels and Contagion". I vaguely remember he tells of (supposedly) poltergeist-sent SMS. So why not demons, fairies and leprechauns ?

By the way, I do wonder whether demonic text messages would be written in Aramean or Latin ?

If demons can muster the physical manefestation to send texts etc, then what is stopping them just directly writing whatever they have to say on the nearest wall?

If demons can muster the physical manefestation to send texts etc, then what is stopping them just directly writing whatever they have to say on the nearest wall?

"God" ? The Men in Black ? An over zealous housemaid ? Boredom ? An allergy to ink, perhaps ?

Probably. . . no Brush, no Paint?

Last edited:
Back