Red Squirrels

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
You've heard about myxomatosis, right?
maximus otter

Yes, but I have not heard city dwellers going on and on about the rabbit not being native, or the hare being "better" in the way that I have heard people going on about how the "bad" non-native grey squirrel is forcing out "our" native, good red squirrel. People taking sides in a supposed conflict between two competing species.

Introduced by the Romans, I'd thought?

Yes, I think you're right. I was thinking of the Normans with their rabbit warrens and dovecotes, both set up to provide a stable food supply for the ruling classes. Point is, very few people get het up that the rabbit is non native to the British Isles — as indeed is Homo sapiens depending on when you choose to place the arbitrary cut off date for "native".

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Yes, but I have not heard city dwellers going on and on about the rabbit not being native, or the hare being "better" in the way that I have heard people going on about how the "bad" non-native grey squirrel is forcing out "our" native, good red squirrel. People taking sides in a supposed conflict between two competing species.

Point is, very few people get het up that the rabbit is non native to the British Isles — as indeed is Homo sapiens depending on when you choose to place the arbitrary cut off date for "native".

lt’s not an issue of “better”, it’s an issue of them not being able to coexist. You can have greys, or you can have reds, but you can’t have both.

Left unchecked, the presence of greys will end reds in the UK.

Introducing concepts of racism, jingoism and xenophobia into this is...not helpful.

maximus otter

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Oh, thats very handy, thanks Aunty Beeb.

They could have had a slightly low key title

(Its Hansens Diesease, isnt it? Do we even use the term `Leprosy` these days?)

sdoig

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
the brown hare isnt native either.

am i the only person who does this - if i accidentally run over a rabbit or a pheasant i think to myself 'its ok, its introduced' whereas i would probably cry if i squished a red squirrel - and indeed was very upset when i ran over a hedgehog (was on a bend at night and couldnt avoid) :(