• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Just to add, many of these UK beaver releases are trial schemes which will be monitored for effect. If they go tits up I don’t expect they will continue.

Many of the posts here are worried about what could happen rather than what is happening.

I can accept that Canada has problems with a surfeit of beavers.

90 were culled in one year in Scotland 115 the year before.
AB49AA50-591A-428E-8839-9487D6CF4E4C.jpeg

I'm not anti-beaver in the slightest. I've never met one. I'm just sceptical of re-introducing wildlife into an environment that 400-years ago may've been safe for them but now ... ?
There's never going to be be millions of beavers in the UK. The country isn't big enough & less suitable spots for them. There'll be culls if it gets out of hand.
Then you'd get complaints about culling animals, a cull which wouldn't be necessary if it had been thought through in the first place.
I fully support breeding programmes to re-invigorate a species, but doing this in an unsuitable environment is silly. The landscape can be hugely different over the centuries and there's more interaction between humans, industry and communities. Just saying "bring in XYZ animal and get rid of humans" is as absurd as "if the animals overbreed just kill them".

…complaints about culling animals, a cull which wouldn't be necessary if it had been thought through in the first place.

lt sounds to me like a combination of virtue signalling, greenwashing, gesture environmentalism and a job creation scheme for those of a certain mindset.

“Let’s reintroduce a cute furry animal that’s harmless to humans directly. We can pat ourselves on the back, publish photos of jolly little beaver cubs, hoover up government grants, generate jobs for lots of otherwise unemployable 2:2s in “Environmental Studies”; and when they breed enough to cause problems, we can quietly waste the surplus animals off-camera. Trebles all round!”

- And when their numbers get out of control, we can create a whole new bureaucracy to manage the issue, and to reintroduce a species that predates on beavers to reduce their population.

Your tax pound in action.

maximus otter

lt sounds to me like a combination of virtue signalling, greenwashing, gesture environmentalism and a job creation scheme for those of a certain mindset.

“Let’s reintroduce a cute furry animal that’s harmless to humans directly. We can pat ourselves on the back, publish photos of jolly little beaver cubs, hoover up government grants, generate jobs for lots of otherwise unemployable 2:2s in “Environmental Studies”; and when they breed enough to cause problems, we can quietly waste the surplus animals off-camera. Trebles all round!”

- And when their numbers get out of control, we can create a whole new bureaucracy to manage the issue, and to reintroduce a species that predates on beavers to reduce their population.

Your tax pound in action.

maximus otter

As I said above

Many of the posts here are worried about what could happen rather than what is happening.

You have just made my point. Let’s try & keep things factual eh?

Another re-introduction. Stoke your outrage here.

Wildcats released in Scottish Highlands in effort to prevent extinction in UK

Nineteen captive-bred cats released at secret location in Cairngorms in first phase of rewilding project

Over the past three months, 19 young wildcats, raised from cats held in British collections including a number living in captivity at the RZSS wildlife park, have been released at a secret location in the Cairngorms, protected by CCTV cameras.

One of the 19 wildcats has since died, but the rest appear to be thriving and are venturing away from the release site, said Dr Helen Senn, who leads the RZSS project at the Highland wildlife park near Kingussie.

It will be several years before its success can be evaluated. There will be two further releases in 2024 and 2025, at different sites in the Cairngorms. The team have fitted 100 camera traps in the area, to record the first group’s activities but also monitor other animals in the forest.

Senn said that if the species is truly to reestablish itself across Scotland, then the government and conservation movement must consider introducing strict measures to control domestic cats.

Those may need to include mandatory neutering of domestic cats – an approach that enjoyed high levels of public compliance in the Cairngorms release area, and mandatory micro-chipping, to prevent cross breeding and to allow proper monitoring of cats in the wild.

We've got beavers near me.

https://www.forestryengland.uk/news/beavers-arrive-yorkshire-trial

They are being carefully managed, but they are there for a reason, to try to manage waterways in a place that gets a lot of flooding.

Exactly - many of these are flood prevention/mitigation schemes attempting to avoid expensive contractors laying concrete. Bloody do-gooders eh..

Are the flood waters lapping at your village yet? Time to get some waders & maybe a canoe just in case.

Exactly - many of these are flood prevention/mitigation schemes attempting to avoid expensive contractors laying concrete. Bloody do-gooders eh..

Are the flood waters lapping at your village yet? Time to get some waders & maybe a canoe just in case.
I live up a great big hill, rising out of the flood plain. If I need waders, the rest of you had better have an ark handy.

You have just made my point. Let’s try & keep things factual eh?
This is all discussion of factual events. Anyone can speculate, anyone can wonder at the real-term impact which becomes factual in further news reports.
It's like saying "These things have happened now! Discuss!"
Well, we're discussing before things happen so it's more realistic to look to unforeseen, or foreseen, consequences.
The result is "Well, shit's gone down. Any unpleasant consequences were foreseen, but no one said anything."

It is speculation, but based on current information. When information changes, so too does speculation.

This is all discussion of factual events. Anyone can speculate, anyone can wonder at the real-term impact which becomes factual in further news reports.
It's like saying "These things have happened now! Discuss!"
Well, we're discussing before things happen so it's more realistic to look to unforeseen, or foreseen, consequences.
The result is "Well, shit's gone down. Any unpleasant consequences were foreseen, but no one said anything."

It is speculation, but based on current information. When information changes, so too does speculation.
There is nothing factual whatsoever in his post. Just his fantasy imaginings. It’s mainly about the type of people he imagines are involved in these projects

I'm just going on what Druk says..
Ontario as a province is just over 4 times the size of the UK,I haven’t heard of deer problems here brownmane has,she hasn’t heard of beaver problems,I have.
94D1AD92-999C-4A32-92C3-6E2790F3661A.jpeg
D9E46DC0-226B-4D5A-B8D2-B2886380E8C2.jpeg
E5CE846E-6C35-40DA-95C4-1DB9B10B5C02.jpeg
2EA69368-2FD9-4BF9-BC56-8056E4D98F2E.jpeg

Back