• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ridiculous Accidents

You would think that something more high-tech would have been created to prevent this sort of accident rather than just relying on the driver noticing some dangling chains making a noise on the roof (and besides, if they're under 30 they're probably driving along with ear-buds in, listening to Spotify or similar).
Maybe some sort of sensor that detects an over-height vehicle and immediately makes a set of traffic lights turn red on this side of the bridge?
I know a bridge just like that, sensors could pick up an over height vehicle & flash red stop lights & I've seen a HGV sail through them & embed themselves under the bridge.

Darwin explained it. As soon as something is made idiot proof nature just evolves a better class of idiot.

In late 2014 Network Rail painted painted up all their road bridges with height signs and chevrons to help remind drivers not to crash into them.

There are lots of railway bridges where I live. Haven't heard of a local bridge strike for years. They are generally rare.
The bus crash shown above was a collision with a canal bridge.

When are people going to take responsibility for their action rather than make excuses about - nothing/nobody warned me!!

On reflection, I've just realised that I am now that old man who shouts at clouds...Oh God...happy days are here again...

In late 2014 Network Rail painted painted up all their road bridges with height signs and chevrons to help remind drivers not to crash into them.

There are lots of railway bridges where I live. Haven't heard of a local bridge strike for years. They are generally rare.
The bus crash shown above was a collision with a canal bridge.
I remember seeing an artic trailer, shaped like a rhomboid, parked up in Bentley's one morning. Apparently an agency driver had tried to get under the bridge at the bottom of Mill street, and then done a runner.

I remember seeing an artic trailer, shaped like a rhomboid, parked up in Bentley's one morning. Apparently an agency driver had tried to get under the bridge at the bottom of Mill street, and then done a runner.
That rings a bell. I'm assuming the intended route was south along Vernon Way.
You can't see the bridge on that approach so if a driver of a tall vehicle doesn't know the area and isn't alert for signs they're up for a surprise.
Driving north, you can see the Mill St bridge from a long way away and turn off in good time.

Well, at least the driver avoided the Cumberland bridge. That one hasn't had a strike for a while.

That rings a bell. I'm assuming the intended route was south along Vernon Way.
You can't see the bridge on that approach so if a driver of a tall vehicle doesn't know the area and isn't alert for signs they're up for a surprise.
Driving north, you can see the Mill St bridge from a long way away and turn off in good time.

Well, at least the driver avoided the Cumberland bridge. That one hasn't had a strike for a while.
To be fair, as well as at least four warning signs, there is another slight clue though;
Mill street.jpg

Like I said, a driver who doesn't know the area and isn't alert for signs might be caught out.
Well, if going to an unfamiliar area means that you're going to crash into things, then perhaps being a delivery driver isn't really for you.
And I'm pretty sure that a requirement of getting an HGV licence is that you are not blind.

Maybe the drivers who crashed were sleep deprived.

Could have been horrific
Indeed.

I once had a teacher who died beheaded because of a similar accident ...

She was driving a motorcycle behind a delivery van which attempted to pass through a low tunnel. Despite the signals, the van ignored the height limitations, and entered the tunnel at full speed. He struck the roof of the tunnel, dislodging a concrete beam which then fell down upon the motorcyclist behind, killing her.

She was a most admirable person, and left behind two children. All because a morron, probably under the influence of some kind of drug, decided to force his way under a tunnel far too low for his vehicle ...

Disgusting.

There was one many years back in the Manchester area were a mobile crane the type
were the driver had a small cab just big enough for one was traveling on the M way
and a foot bridge fell on the cab killing the driver, later it turned out that is mate
was traveling in the crane cab and had raised the jib enough to knock the bridge
from it's supports, if memory serves this was in a area on the M62 known locally,
I travailed it often then, as death valley.

Not the first time I heard of this!

Dutchman died after exploding petanque ball in Belgian Ardennes​

A 37-year-old man from Eindhoven has died from a petanque ball that exploded in the Belgian Ardennes. The accident happened last Saturday in Stavelot, a town near Liège. The man was then seriously injured.
Belgian media write that a group of Dutch people stayed there in a holiday home to celebrate a bachelor party. The men sat by a fire pit, in or under which were petanque balls. One of the balls would have become so hot that it exploded. The man was seriously injured and taken to hospital.

As if a gas bottle exploded​

He died of his injuries today, his family said. "We are shocked by the sudden death, he will be greatly missed," the family told Omroep Brabant .
The neighbor of the holiday home in Stavelot tells the Belgian news channel VTM that it sounded like a gas bottle exploded. When he heard an ambulance and an air ambulance arrive, he knew it was serious. "We heard the paramedics tell each other that the man's whole face was burned," he says.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2475711-nede...xploderende-petanquebal-in-belgische-ardennen

When you drill some walls they make a lot of dust that doesn't sweep up easily.
My house is built of hard concrete. The dust from drilling has to be hoovered straight out of the hole or it settles all around and sticks like glue.
Living out here in the Australian Bush, it is plenty dusty Escargot, so what is a little more dust suspended in the air.

This is what it's like after a Westerly.

Attachments

• 20191113_171849.jpg
    20191113_171849.jpg
    833.2 KB · Views: 24
Living out here in the Australian Bush, it is plenty dusty Escargot, so what is a little more dust suspended in the air.

This is what it's like after a Westerly.
That can't be good for the lungs.

Another bus conversion.

Ten in hospital after bus roof cut off in Glasgow bridge crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65665113

Ten people have been taken to hospital after a double-decker bus crashed into a bridge and had its roof torn off.
The crash happened in Cook Street in Glasgow, near the O2 venue, at 11.35.

bus.jpg

These bus crashes where they go under a bridge that is too low for their height happen fairly often.

I bet in nearly all cases they are drivers supplied by temp agencies who take routes and diversion they are not supposed to.

Otherwise how could a bus normally fit under the bridge?

These bus crashes where they go under a bridge that is too low for their height happen fairly often.

I bet in nearly all cases they are drivers supplied by temp agencies who take routes and diversion they are not supposed to.

I remember, vaguely, one of these happening in my town years ago. The driver had taken out a double decker, and thought he was in a single decker. Since only a single decker can do any of the routes near me, I can't really understand why he took out a double decker in the first place.

Another bus conversion.

Ten in hospital after bus roof cut off in Glasgow bridge crash

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-65665113

Ten people have been taken to hospital after a double-decker bus crashed into a bridge and had its roof torn off.
The crash happened in Cook Street in Glasgow, near the O2 venue, at 11.35.

View attachment 66313
I've seen a photo like this recently where the vehicle roof is lying on the ground behind it, having presumably been scraped off in one piece.

No severed heads in evidence so it was either an empty bus or an HGV.

In reference to the incident yesterday at Cook Street, Glasgow, posted above, the service had been diverted off its usual route due to road closure for a running race in the city centre, although obviously he wasn’t meant to go that way. Part of the problem with this specific location - and this has been a problem spot for decades - is that there are two bridges on the same road in close proximity; one is 15’ 3” and the other which the bus hit yesterday is 12’ 6”. There is a road (Salkeld Street) which runs parallel to the railway in between the two bridges, so it’s possible to drive westbound under the higher bridge and turn left before striking the lower one. The driver in this incident may even have breathed a sigh of relief after he successfully cleared the 15‘ 3” bridge before he walloped the 12’ 6” one.

Incidentally, the Cook Street bridges are less than half a mile from their little brothers at West Street. The lower of that pair, at just 10’ 6”, claimed the lives of three children and two adults in September 1994 when it was struck by a double decker carrying a group of girl guides home from a day out in Butlins, Ayr. A further 29 kids were injured, some of them very seriously. The West Street accident also took place on a Sunday and it happened because the driver was unfamiliar with that part of the city, so was following a car driven by one of the parents who had been helping with the outing. The bus, which was 13’ 9” tall, cleared the first bridge but struck the second. The driver of the bus appeared in the Sheriff Court under a charge of dangerous driving but was found not guilty of that by the jury, which was very controversial at the time. He was, however, convicted of the lesser charge of careless driving. A civil case was later brought by one of the bereaved families against the helper who led the bus under the bridge in her car, but it was dismissed. West Street was subsequently closed off at the northern end next to the bridges, preventing it from being used as a through-route. The 1994 smash was a really horrific incident which badly affected those who attended it, a few years ago I worked with someone who was there that day and he told me the whole sorry tale one quiet nightshift. A hard wee Glasgow railwayman who had to turn away from me to hide the tears in his eyes.

The firm that ran the collage bus service would tell the new drivers to
ask my daughter the way, she would get "are you the girl that knows
the rout? can you sit there and direct me?" she was the last off so knew
the full rout, but she never told them about a hump back bridge just
outside our village that had a big trough running across at a angle
near the top of the hump, some of the poor sods actually screamed
as the bus lurched from side to side.

As previously mentioned, I owned a tall camper van which was fun on roads with low bridges.
It also frightened horses so I'd stop until they'd gone past, to their riders' great appreciation. :)

Anyway... it had a dashboard plate saying
HEIGHT OF VEHICLE
9' 6"​
whereas the plate on a structure in Caernarfon, North Wales read
HEIGHT OF ARCH
6' 9"
This had me muttering 'six foot nine... nine foot six...six foot nine... nine foot six...' as I crawled along; eventually admitting defeat, grinding to a halt and executing a faultless 99-point turn on the narrow mediaeval one-way street.

Locals and tourists watched and cheered. I slunk away and never, ever ignored height signs again. :wink2:

Back