• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
emina said:
Mythopoeika said:
Duncan Norvelle wasn't even gay. Stunning revelation there.

:shock:

So, basically his act was the sexual equivalent of the Black and White Minstral Show.

No wonder he didn't last. You'd never het away with that now!

Yup.

Mythopoeika said:
emina said:
Mythopoeika said:
Duncan Norvelle wasn't even gay. Stunning revelation there.

:shock:

So, basically his act was the sexual equivalent of the Black and White Minstral Show.

No wonder he didn't last. You'd never het away with that now!

Yup.

Actually, come to think of it, I remember Norman Collier did really have a black and white minstrel type section in his act!

He would have a black stocking over his head and sing an Al Jolson number, then the mouth would fall off, only for him to turn his back and replace it with a birds beak...

Different times man, different times!

I've got all these horrible, harrowing repressed memories of 80s comedians flooding back now. HELP! :_omg:

Hmm, that quote won't do Roy's urban mythology any good!

Norman Collier died too, though he was rather better respected than Roy Jay. As for Duncan Norvelle, a friend of mine went to some kind of legends of darts exhibition night a couple of years ago, and Dunc was the compere, oddly. So he's still going.

gncxx said:
...As for Duncan Norvelle, a friend of mine went to some kind of legends of darts exhibition night a couple of years ago, and Dunc was the compere...

When's the next one? I want in on that. :lol:

I'd have to ask my friend, though Dunc may have put him off going (!).

CarlosTheDJ said:
Surely the Dunc-Darts combo is irresistible .

Sorry mate. Just had a look at Duncan's wikipedia page.

Doesn't look like it's gonna happen... :nooo:

cherrybomb said:
He made a record.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roy-Jay-Roy-J ... 56649fd922

One of his quotes on the back of the record is "I've got some sweeties in my car" :?
I have a picture of that back sleeve but I'm not sure how to post it.

Well worth 11.50 of anyone's money, I'd say!

I especially like the quote from the seller; "most of our stock is UNPLAYED" :lol:

The picture you mention is on the facebook page.

gncxx said:
Hmm, that quote won't do Roy's urban mythology any good!

Well, as I say, he doesn't currently have a wikipedia page ;)

Literally a blank canvass! I'm sure someone could redress the balance...

gncxx said:
..Norman Collier died too, though he was rather better respected than Roy Jay..
He was hugely respected among other comedians - he did comparatively little TV, which is why many regard him as obscure, but he was massive on the club circuit from the early 60s right up to the 90s, by which time he was too affected by Parkinson's disease to do it anymore. I always found him very funny - his material was completely different from that of most of his peers.
emina said:
Actually, come to think of it, I remember Norman Collier did really have a black and white minstrel type section in his act!..He would have a black stocking over his head and sing an Al Jolson number, then the mouth would fall off, only for him to turn his back and replace it with a birds beak...
See I always thought that was a dig at the Minstrels and Jolson more than anything else. It didn't strike me as coming from any sense of prejudice, unlike many of his peers in the 70s and 80s.

I don't actually remember this guy at all.
Did he just say 'slither' or did he ever say 'slither hither'? I dimly remember that from years ago.

Me, neither.

giphy.gif

He wasn't actually that funny. I just watched a video of him earlier. An act like that wouldn't get very far these days.
He was living in Spain, penniless towards the end. Sadly, he died in 2008 (I did a bit of quick Googling). Nobody claimed his body until a mate of his paid his funeral costs.

Very odd. As a previous poster suggested, he passes as a strange US import - this was Emo-period, just about - then morphs into Wiganese, peeking around the curtain with the reassurance that we would all be doing it tomorrow.

Reassuringly, we didn't!

RIP, anyway.

I watched that video when it was first posted. Awkward and horrible, it left the impression of a story concealed or obscured by what we witnessed. :freak:

Hmmm... I have no recollection of this 'spook slither' chap either, for the record. I just showed the video to Mr Zebra, who would have slightly more chance of remembering early 80s stuff than I would, and he doesn't remember him either.

At the risk of going off-topic though, this has suddenly brought to mind a rather terrifying character I saw on one of those 80s clip-shows sometime last year - some extremely disturbing (to my mind, anyway) man who would wear strange clothes and appear in wardrobes... I've probably not explained that right, but my mind is giving me a mental block on any more details. Yes, it did disturb me that much.

I don't know if I ever saw this character when I was younger, but the horror of it (I'm really not joking) when I saw the clip-show evoked a slight disturbance so perhaps I did, and blocked it out back then.

Hmmm... I have no recollection of this 'spook slither' chap either, for the record. I just showed the video to Mr Zebra, who would have slightly more chance of remembering early 80s stuff than I would, and he doesn't remember him either.

At the risk of going off-topic though, this has suddenly brought to mind a rather terrifying character I saw on one of those 80s clip-shows sometime last year - some extremely disturbing (to my mind, anyway) man who would wear strange clothes and appear in wardrobes... I've probably not explained that right, but my mind is giving me a mental block on any more details. Yes, it did disturb me that much.

I don't know if I ever saw this character when I was younger, but the horror of it (I'm really not joking) when I saw the clip-show evoked a slight disturbance so perhaps I did, and blocked it out back then.

I remember him, not that funny, appeared as guest acts on variety shows. He wasn't alternative enough for the likes Ben Elton, Comic Strip Presents, etc so couldn't really grow and expand his act.

My father worked in a night club in the 70s and 80s which had many top acts. When Roy Jay appeared on the TV, he remembered him being on the bill in the 70s as a support act one week for one of the big names although didn't remember his name, just remembered him as 'that bloke who does that slither act'. I didn't think he was too bad but a bit of a one trick pony.

Forgotten comedians of the 80s? Well there was Rosser and Davies. They won Opportunity Knocks I think and had a big clap-a-long song 'Friends till the End'. Then they seemed to vanish completely.

Forgotten comedians of the 80s? Well there was Rosser and Davies. They won Opportunity Knocks I think and had a big clap-a-long song 'Friends till the End'. Then they seemed to vanish completely.

Duggie Small - won New Faces in the 1980s, went on Wogan and was so bad he looked like a complete lunatic. Nation's interest in him fell off a cliff. Apparently he still does Butlin's.

I misread the thread title as being about Ray Jay, a singer most famous for having sex with Kim Kardashian on film a while back, just before her career suddenly took off. As to whether he interjected with cries of 'Slither!' and 'Spook!', I don't know.

Back