• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
A

Anonymous

SAVED BY THE DEAD?

Tegan

My Uncle Adam is a pilot flying 12 seater planes for Hutchinson Airlines in Sydney, Australia. One day while preparing for a routine flight from Sydney to Papua New Guinea, he was stopped at the very last moment by an air controller (John) telling him he had a very urgent phone call from his mother.

Adam was understandably perplexed, as his mother (who incidently earned a living later in life as a psychic) had passed away some 14 years earlier, and he immediatley went to the call. As he picked up the reciever and said "Hello?", the call ended. John was concerned, as she sounded very agitated, and urged Adam to call her back. Adam told him that she had been dead for 14 years, and asked if John was sure that it had been his mother. John told him it was a distressed, older sounding woman identifying herself as "Adam's Mother".

They went back to the plane, where some last minute checks were undertaken that revealed a minute fracture in the fuselage that could have proved fatal had the flight continued.

To this day Adam cannot be sure, but feels it *was* his mother on the phone, alerting him of the dangers of flying that day.

-------------------------------------------
Archived Source:
https://web.archive.org/web/2002060...teantimes.com:80/happened/flightwarning.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is it that some people appear to be saved by the spirits of dead relatives, while others are not? Is there some higher being up there saying to the spirits 'yes you can go and save your son/wife, etc' or 'no, sorry its his time'? Also how do they know when a loved one is in mortal danger?

I'd say the spirits that are allowed to save their family an

...are the ones that maybe won a favor in a poker game with God, but I'm pretty sure that'd be blasphemous unless I implied that he let them win, and then we're back at the start.

"Why are some saved?" is a question that's always bothered me.

If there is an afterlife, why does it matter whether we live or die?

(And if there isn't, there's nothing around to save us anyway.)

It's like religious groups who hold services of thanksgiving for people who have escaped some dire situation - but that escape's just keeping them from heaven...

I've heard lots of instances where just the opposite happens: a dead relation appears to 'call' or 'claim' a living one, not in a comforting way but as a kind of unjust theft.

I first read this in Jess Stearn's 'The Door To The Future' where a woman dreamed that her dead uncle said menacingly, 'I am taking Nicky with me.' Her little son Nicholas was abducted and murdered soon after.

In Cassandra Eason's 'The Psychic Power Of Children' (which features my kids!) a pregnant woman is offered a choice, by a dead aunt or someone, which child to keep safe: the one she's carrying, or her little daughter. She chooses the unborn one and the toddler dies in an accident.

This is quite apart from the more usual accounts of dead relations apparently turning up to welcome the dying.

(As I described in another thread a while ago, I was nursing an elderly lady a couple of months back who assured me that her mother visited her every day. While her health was improving, I felt sure she must be on her way out, and she died suddenly.)

Ugh... should I be concerned that Hutchinson Airlines appears nowhere else on the web except for this post? Even if it were out of business, you would think there would be some historic reference to it somewhere.

Perhaps the poster could have made it better by saying, when Uncle Adam returned to the aircraft, he found a bloody hook lodged in the cabin door handle. ;)

Ugh... should I be concerned that Hutchinson Airlines appears nowhere else on the web except for this post? Even if it were out of business, you would think there would be some historic reference to it somewhere. ...

I've found references to a 'Hutchinson Air' line or service specializing in cargo transport, but I can't locate any more information as to who this is or where they operate(d).

There's no Hutchinson Airlines listed among current or defunct Australian / Oceania carriers.

It's possible the name refers to a small charter service rather than a full-blown 'airline'.

the way the story opens would suggest a small set-up ? surely a pilot would be paged for a call or tannoyed in a full scale operation

I don't see the connection between the 'phone call' and the 'being saved'. They were doing plane checks, he was called away to the phone, and then goes back to doing the plane checks which reveal the plane unairworthy. Unless he wasn't going to bother doing those checks and only did them because of the phone call, which there is no suggestion of, then how was he saved?

I don't see the connection between the 'phone call' and the 'being saved'. They were doing plane checks, he was called away to the phone, and then goes back to doing the plane checks which reveal the plane unairworthy. Unless he wasn't going to bother doing those checks and only did them because of the phone call, which there is no suggestion of, then how was he saved?
It says "he was stopped at the very last moment" - presumably about to take off.

It says "he was stopped at the very last moment" - presumably about to take off.
And yet they went back to do further checks... either the checks were complete (and he was in the pilot's seat about to take off) or they weren't and 'stopped at the very last moment' is slight hyperbole for 'stopped whilst doing the checks'. Otherwise why would further checks be necessary?

And yet they went back to do further checks... either the checks were complete (and he was in the pilot's seat about to take off) or they weren't and 'stopped at the very last moment' is slight hyperbole for 'stopped whilst doing the checks'. Otherwise why would further checks be necessary?
Didn't do any checks, then thought, "hmm, I don't get a phone call from my dead mum that often, maybe I should actually do the checks this time?"

Back