• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scariest Programme When You Were A Kid (Or Indeed A Nipper)?

The TV ad for 'The Unexplained' used to give me the heebie-jeebies.

I don't know about when I was a kid but any programme which is billed as "Reality TV" makes me scream and change channel.

Brrrr!
:eek!!!!:

I am old enough to remember the first appearances of the Daleks.
Whoooo, scary. I spent a LOT of time behind the sofa.

Daleks never scared me terribly much... however the Tom Baker episode, where all the lighthouse keepers were going missing, spooked me out in a major way

JerryB said:
The TV ad for 'The Unexplained' used to give me the heebie-jeebies.
Oh yeah - with the EVP clip? That was scary as hell!

Have merged this thread with the previous one about exactly the same thing, BTW :).

My earliest "pant-wetting tv" memory was watching Dr Who with Jon Pertwee. The monster was a yeti (apparently turning out to be a robot) and when he reached into the yetis chest and yanked out a silver ball (the power source) I buried my head in the cushions.

I can't for the life of me remember why now!

stormkhan reminded me... There was a xmas special of... some show from the 70s, they used to show it over here regularly up to the mid-80s. It was fairly common stuff, up 'til right near the end, where there was a sketch with some kind of robot and a scientist or something... anyway for some reason the robot ends up decapitating the scientist, who is then revealed to be a robot himself... :p this scene traumatised me for years afterward (as one could expect of a four-year-old).

I can't be bothered to check to see if I've already posted re this, but MrsHyde has just bought me the complete Sapphire and Steel box sets for my birthday.

...one foot up, the other foot down, this is the way to London town...

And better yet, there are rumours (unconfirmed, mind you) that Apache will be on the next Charlie Says DVD. I've been on various ephemera/TV/garbage related message boards for a few years and Apache is the one subject that always gets mentioned, over and over again. Trauma!

I still find Doctor Who's "The Deadly Assassin" disturbing - that long dream sequence with Tom in a quarry beset by evil masked warriors, surgeons and train drivers, attacked and shot by a biplane, and hunted through a swamp. The cliffhanger, with its freeze-frame of the Doctor, apparently drowned, upset Mary Whitehouse no end too! For me, the worst bit was where the Doctor brushes some sand aside to reveal a laughing clown's face, but that's more to do with my phobia about clowns!

Other programmes that I found rather alarming as a nipper included:

The ending of Blake's 7 - they all die, basically, which is terribly traumatic when you're only 11.

Children of the Stones - now out on DVD, and it still has a chill, particularly when the main characters attempts to escape are thwarted, and they end up trapped in the evil druid's house surrounded by a circle of chanting, possessed villagers.

Shadows - late 80s supernatural anthology programme for kids. What made this so tantalising was the different styles, because I never knew if was going to be a tongue-in-cheek comedy episode or a shit-scary one with a horrible twist ending.

I'd like to recommend a recentish book, The Hill And Beyond - Childrens Television Drama - An Encyclopedia, which covers loads of this sort of stuff. I can spend ages going through it thinking "Jesus, I'd forgotten all about that!" It also means I've added a lot of shows I haven't seen to my wants list. The Owl Service anybody?

Worzel Gummidge freaked me out, and I never even saw the program... there were a number of the books at my primary school, which would make me uncomfortable just looking at the covers (which were, of course, regularly on prominent display in various classrooms).

It's a great shame! I wonder how many present day kids programmes will be discussed by young viewers in thirty years time? They are either shallow pop-obsessed clip-shows or cartoon characters for the educationally challenged!

We will never see the likes of Children of the Stones, Sapphire and Steel and others again because the programmers are too scared to scare kids, the current generation of children are immured to horror and the whole business of childrens tv is not to entertain and to challenge but to pacify and create consumers!

*sigh*

The great days of sofa hiding are gone!

I was quite surprised at how near the knuckle S&S actually is. The effects are very, very bad indeed but the scripts are astonishing. I doubt that it would go out before 9 PM nowadays, especially 'the one with the slaughterhouse footage'.

Only one TV episode ever really scared me.

The last episode of Doctor Who's 'The Daleks' Masterplan' - the 'Destruction of Time' where the Time destructor is activated and Sara Kingdom, a sort of space secret agent, who accompanied the Doctor on this serial, and the Dalek's age to death and crumble to dust. The Doctor survives only because of his near immortality.

probably someone already mentioned this..(cant trawl thro the thread again!).. but a childrens program ... was it Taro or somthing like it or the main charecter was called that.. had a Parot in it... called Ozymanduose.... i remeber being spooked by it all....

sidecar_jon said:
probably someone already mentioned this..(cant trawl thro the thread again!).. but a childrens program ... was it Taro or somthing like it or the main charecter was called that.. had a Parot in it... called Ozymanduose.... i remeber being spooked by it all....
That was Ace of Wands, the ITV network's answer to early Pertwee-period Dr. Who, except instead of a time traveller it had a travelling mystic called -according to the theme song which went, IIRC, "Tarot Donovan; Mystic Man!" :)

I have only vague memories of it, apart from the tune, but recall quite liking it.

Apparently there was a story -so I've read- where a travelling fair was giving household appliances away as prizes -irons, vacuum cleaners, and so on- and then later these appliances were coming to life and killing people. Not a bad level of scary for before tea-time on weekdays! But my mate's brother -a dedicated Whovian and 60s fantasy TV fan- recalls it more clearly than I do, and tells me that it was a load of crap. Still, I remember a certain degree of creeping flesh...

i remeber it mainly cos of the odd name for a parot..and i remeber my biger brother turnign the telly over when it came on.... i prefered Doc Who anyway.... The Tommorow people ahd thier moments too,,,,remeber the Bubble suits?

sidecar_jon said:
i remeber it mainly cos of the odd name for a parot..and i remeber my biger brother turnign the telly over when it came on.... i prefered Doc Who anyway.... The Tommorow people ahd thier moments too,,,,remeber the Bubble suits?
No, but then I've been repressing The Tomorrow People. Gawd how I hated that program. That annoying computer! That massively effeminate dork who was the lead! (Look. I was only like 12 or something. He just didn't seem cool.) And the constant use of the word 'jaunt' instead of 'teleportation'. (Like I said: 12 or something. As if I'd know an Alfred Bester reference when I heard it at that age.) Darn. You've brought it all back, S_J. :(

ah but the tension...the bubble suit that changes colour as the mood changes (creepily it resembled the truely naff shell suit) and then its changes the mood to agression.... then the fit bird puts one on, but theyve worked out a way to disintiagrate it, she lays down on a table...rays trained on her suit......bugger shes wearing some sort of all over swim suit under it!... i realy thought it was going to be more err...exiteing.... oh young hopes dashed.

I'll tell you what scared me when I was a kid - Rabies.

From TV Cream

THE MAD DEATH (1983)
BBC SCOTLAND

HARDLY LAUGH-A-SECOND stuff as a smuggled pet cat brings rabies to our fair unsullied isle. Common Market overtones as, by the second of three hour-long episodes, it turned into a dog-shooting excercise, plus foaming deaths of proles. Over the top, in the eighties tradition. Credits played on "hydrophobia" angle (featuring dogs' heads under ripply water effect).

Cujo

tasha said:
Mr Noseybonk off of Jigsaw! I still have nightmares about him.

I wish i hadn't read this. I had forgot all about Mr. Noseybonk in the interveneing 20 odd ( or more) years that have elasped since I used to sit barely able to watch the screen when he came on. The sheer horror of those dark autumnal walks home from my grandparents house to my house with my mum.......*shudder* the dark corners and the sheds and the getting into our house and having to walk all the way to the other end of the room to find a light, not being able to open my tightly shut eyes until the light was on in case he appeared...I don't like Mr. Noseybonk he still scares me.

And if anybody thinks I'm exaggerating, scroll down to the bottom of this for a photo of him.

OMG!..ive never seen Jigsaw but im gona keep the light on tonight now!

I don't understand this fear of Noseybonk, he was obviously just Adrian Hedley in a mask. Sapphire and Steel - that was scary. Noseybonk was about as scary as Mr Bennett from Take Hart!

Bizzare. I have no memory of Jigsaw but when I saw the picture of Mr Noseybonk I knew I'd seen him before.

Blueswidow said:
Noseybonk

AWAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Chanubi
Worzel Gummidge

AWAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

That was f***ing creepy. All that removing of heads, Aunt Sally, scarecrows coming to life and there was an evil scarecrow called Mudface or something....

I never liked Worzel Gummage. I always felt that it was the sort of thing that adults who don't actually know any children think children will like.

Hmmm. When I was very young, I used to go into the kitchen when Dr Who was on - I had never watched it as far as I can remember but perhaps my family were being somewhat over protective. Anyway when I did start watching it I wondered what all the fuss was about. It did have it's moments - the shop dummies that came to life. My favourite story was probably "the Daemons", though after Jon Pertwee left I lost interest and it became an embarrassment really.
I remember the Stone Tape - and something called "the Rivals of Sherlock Holmes " one with a phantom horse, if I remember rightly.

On the TV was a film shown once called "Jonny Got His Gun" - based on a novel by Dalton Trumbo.Told in flashback a young solder wakes up wounded in a military hospital. He is blinded. and his legs had been amputated. After going into a sleep he wakes up later and his arms have been amputated. He ends up being a blind, probably deaf torso.That's what I remember of it. Now that was scary.Some details of the book via Google I just found are here.
http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/lit-med/lit-med-db/webdocs/webdescrips/trumbo752-des-.html

QUOTE:This anti-war novel is written from the point of view of an injured World War I infantryman (Joe Bonham). As the plot progresses we realize how severe the injuries are (most of his face has been blown away and eventually his arms and legs must be amputated--leaving a faceless torso) and why the story is being told by an interior monologue voice.

Interspersed with recollections of Joe Bonham's life is a description of his amazing struggle to remain human. Joe's quest begins with a search for "time," and once time has been found, he begins to "organize" his world. After many years of struggle to orient himself, he tries to reach out to others by "communicating" with them. Unfortunately, his initial attempts to move his head in Morse Code are initially misconstrued as seizures, for which he receives sedatives. Eventually, a nurse new to his care realizes what he is trying to do and informs his doctors.

What Joe wants most is to let the world know about the horrors of war. He assures his keepers that he could support himself in this venture if only they would let him out (people would be glad to pay to see a "freak" such as himself). The answer he receives in return, one which had to be "literally" pounded into his forehead: "What you ask is against regulations."

Commentary This book was first published two days after World War II began. Although it was not banned, the author and publisher voluntarily agreed to stop reprints until after the war ended. A movie of Johnny Got His Gun was released in 1971 and is available in videocassette from Media Home Entertainment (1982). I've seen the video and believe it doesn't do the book justice. UNQUOTE

And Metalica wrote a song about it called One. The video features clips from the film.

Cujo
(It's on the albubm And Justice for all)

Just found this on TV Cream.

AIRBASE (late 80s)
BBC

SPOOKEE late-period production-line noo-kle-a thriller, set in a US air force base in the UK. The pilots are all blitzed on drugs and one of them flies off to bomb Moscow, thus triggering World War III. As you do. Written by Malcolm McKay, it starred CLIVE MANTLE, that big tall bloke off Casualty.

That's another one that scared the crap out of me. I had difficulty sleeping and everything.

Blueswidow said:
I wish i hadn't read this. I had forgot all about Mr. Noseybonk...And if anybody thinks I'm exaggerating, scroll down to the bottom of this for a photo of him.

:_omg:

How evil is that?? I too had blanked him out entirely, clearly my inner censor working judiciously! Aside from the dodgy sexual name and obviously phallic nose (the comparisson to the rapist mask in Clockwork Orange is made on that page), there's something evil about masks. The one stark colour and the permanent fixed expression that may bear no resemblance to the face beneath...

No, I wasn't scared of Noseybonk in the slightest. I was still too busy cowering in terror from the Groke in the Moomins (qv)....

Back