• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Scariest Programme When You Were A Kid (Or Indeed A Nipper)?

quote:

I've been reading up on Tove Jannson and she was a very interesting lady indeed.

How strange is that? I always assumed Tove Jansson was a bloke. You don't assume that someone who goes around frightening children is going to be a 'mummy'.
(I've been to Finland but didn't see any trolls. Ate some reindeer tho. I didn't get any christmas presents that year).

And Hamble - aarrgggghhhhh!!:_omg:

What are you apologizing for, Stormkahn? MOOMINS ROCK!

Of course, I've never seen the cartoons, which for all I know are genuinely creepy, but based on the books - geez, y'all are wimps. :) Does Winnie-the-Pooh scare you too? Moominsummer Madness is the book I read to settle me down when I'm having night-terror based insomnia; y'know, when you can't go into the bathroom because there's a mirror there which would show you what you'd rather not see, and you're falling endlessly into infinity because you comprehend your own mortality, and it's been three in the morning for eight hours already.

Ah, that beautiful soothing prose:
There had been a pancake once.
Snufkin understood that it was necessary to take the woodies to the play.
She didn't know what her Moomintroll had done, but she was convinced that she approved of it.
The Iron Curtain came down on his head one day, and they both cracked.

And the images - Hattifatteners growing from seed (too close, and their paws tangle). The bonfire of "don't" signs. (Never more my uncle and never more my aunt! I'll never ask them anymore. I don't, I won't, I shan't!). Little My calmly choosing between the cake tin and the knitting basket as they float downstream. Every scene with Snufkin and the woodies. Moomintroll diving for breakfast. The forest flooded with mist and water. The play on the grounded stage, performed for an audience of small animals in boats - tickets against anything eatable.

And the characters - not only the extended Moomin family, in which I include Snufkin, but the lonely fillyjonk, the conscientious little hemulen who releases the prisoners and writes their lines for them, Whomper, Misabel, Emma the Rat, even the police-hemulen who wistfully remembers a play about a princess asleep in a rose bush. I love them all - except the Park Keeper. It would be disloyal in me to love Snufkin's great enemy.

Hattifatteners are tiny and electrict btw - the tall ones you refer to must be hemulens, who always have bees in their bonnets about something but are sometimes benevolent and sometimes bureaucratic nightmares. And Little My doesn't kill anybody, though she's not afraid of anything, not even ants. She does greatly enjoy the murder mystery the Mymble reads her brood in The Exploits of Moominpappa ("This-is-One-Eyed-Bob's-sanguinary-work-said-Inspector-Twiggs-pulling-a-three-inch-nail-from-the-ear-of-the-corpse-it-must-have-happened."), and she has a child's delight in imaginary mayhem, but she never hurts anyone.

Now, I grant you, Moominland is a dangerous place, plagued by disasters no one can do anything about - floods, volcanoes, comets - and the occasional genuinely scary individual, like the Groke, who is however at least as sad as she is scary. In Moominvalley in November and Moominpappa at Sea, the characters have to deal with major emotional problems like alienation and depression. But through it all runs a basic security: the Moomin extended family is loving and accepting, all nice things are good for you, courage and perserverance result in life and happiness, and if you accept yourself, you will achieve what is in you to achieve, which is every bit as good as what is in anyone else.

the origional momins tv series was really dark and moody looking with jerky stop motion animation and really poor lighting and therefor rather scarey if you are a tiny little ancle biter and too young to understand whats going on... thats one of the reasons it was taken off air in the uk.

It retuned in a few years as a bright and colourful cartoon thogh, which, apart from one large creature with a big nose that came out one night and froze moomin mama's roses, it wasn't scarey at all.

I've got a memory of seeing something on TV when I must've been very young that has stayed with me ever since -

all I remember is a teenage boy (young man?) running around in a sort of blue karate outfit with a blue head-band. He had a hand gun and - what I remember most vividly - burst into a suburban family home and murdered the occupants (shooting a man through the forehead as I seem to recall). I was quite traumatised by it - the idea of random spree killing being new to me at the time.

It must've been the late 70s or very early 80s, and it was (I think) broadcast in the afternoon (!). Oh, and I think it was U.S. made.

Any ideas?

I was freaked out by a TV thing (don't know if it was a series or a one off) about nuclear war in the early 80's.

There was a family in the country and they couldn't get in touch with anyone else. Turns out there had been a nuclear attack somewhere and survivors stared coming. I remember one of them collapsed on a road and was sick.

Can't remember what it was but it scared me at the time.

Inhabitant said:
I've got a memory of seeing something on TV when I must've been very young that has stayed with me ever since -

all I remember is a teenage boy (young man?) running around in a sort of blue karate outfit with a blue head-band. He had a hand gun and - what I remember most vividly - burst into a suburban family home and murdered the occupants (shooting a man through the forehead as I seem to recall). I was quite traumatised by it - the idea of random spree killing being new to me at the time.

It must've been the late 70s or very early 80s, and it was (I think) broadcast in the afternoon (!). Oh, and I think it was U.S. made.

Any ideas?
Certainly sounds like fodder for one of those excruciatingly preachy 'Afterschool Specials' they used to run from the mid-70's up to the early 90's. Poorly acted, incompentently written little vignettes that began with your average all-american kid getting involved with a bad crowd and ending with the same kid turning into a psychotic malcontent. Tedious and condescending crap that some teachers would often videotape and show the students in order to teach us 'valuable life lessons'. Such as, don't ever, EVER grow up to be Scott Baio....now that's terrifying!

For the uninitiated, Scott Baio was a perpetually grinning ( and perpetually irritating ) 1970's sitcom 'actor' who frequently essayed the starring roles in many an 'Afterschool Special' and who continued to play toothsome teenagers well into his forties.

Wasn't he the nerk in Happy Days who was shagging Richie Cunninghams sister, Joanie?

Oh, my Gods! I'm starting to remember this crud!

Waiter! Prozac, copious amounts - NOW!

I recall when I was young, a show that creeped me out was "In Search Of..." which was on in the mid-to-late 70s and was hosted by Leonard Nimoy. It explored various paranormal topics, and used short re-enactments of whatever the topic of that night's show was. The one I most vividly recall even now is one about ghosts, and the re-enactment part showed a woman in bed in a dark bedroom, who wakes up to see the ghost of a tall man in Victorian attire standing at the foot of her bed, with a top hat and overcoat. I remember he had a pale face with a beard and had this evil looking smile on his face. The woman started screaming and the ghost just vanished. Wow, that really freaked me out at a 7 or 8 year-old kid. I think there were a couple of "In Search Of..." episodes that were particularly creepy, including one about a mummy's curse, where an archeologist who disturbed an ancient Egyptian tomb was in bed at night (again with the in bed theme) and was visited by the spirit of an ancient Egyptian god (I seem to recall it had a dog's face!) and he dies from fright. That was another one that stayed with me all these years. I wonder if that show is on DVD, I've got to Google that one of these days and find out!

If you find "In Search Of..." on dvd, let me know! My dad would insist on watching it, even though it scared me to no end. Then one day, my fear turned to interest, and well, here I am.:D The "Twilight Zone" used to also scare me. Just the opening music would make me hide under the covers. Now, I'm picking up episodes whenever I find them.

I can vaguely remember the "In search of ..." show.

One thing bothers me though ...

Borubryan said:
I think there were a couple of "In Search Of..." episodes that were particularly creepy, including one about a mummy's curse, where an archeologist who disturbed an ancient Egyptian tomb was in bed at night (again with the in bed theme) and was visited by the spirit of an ancient Egyptian god (I seem to recall it had a dog's face!) and he dies from fright.

If the archaeologist died of fright, how did anyone find out what he saw?

Anyhow, most archaeologists when faced with what might've been an apparition of Anubis would be fascinated rather than scared. Seth though (the God of War, Murder and Violence) might give 'em a nasty turn!

Stormkhan said:
I can vaguely remember the "In search of ..." show.

One thing bothers me though ...

If the archaeologist died of fright, how did anyone find out what he saw?

Anyhow, most archaeologists when faced with what might've been an apparition of Anubis would be fascinated rather than scared. Seth though (the God of War, Murder and Violence) might give 'em a nasty turn!

I never thought about that Stormkahn, but the image of this guy in ancient Egyptian costume with a dog's face appearing from this foggy light in that archeologist's bedroom was pretty frightening for a young kid. I remember the "god" moving closer and closer to the guy's bed. Because that episode was about Egyptian curses on breaking into tombs, I am sure there was a lot of "creative license" on the show's makers part with the re-enactment.

I adored ISO as a kid! I wonder if it's on in reruns anywhere? The deliciously creepy theme music along with Nimoy's detached narration made an unbeatable combination.

I still think the epsiode of Sapphire & Steel in which they're at a railway station which is haunted is scary for kids. The imagery of a Word War One soldier slowly walking up the platform, gently whistling "Pack up your Troubles" is still with me.

Time I bought the box set of the series.

There used to be a kid's show in Canada in the late 70s/early 80s called Read All About It that used to scare the shit out of me, I don't know why. It revolved around three or four kids who ran a newspaper in a small town and solved mysteries over a long period of time (usually no less than 4 I think) . . . their nemesis was an intergalactic badguy named Dunneedon, who also ran their town as mayor Don Eden, who had a scary afro.

Any other Canadian kids scared of this? What about Sam from Today's Special?

Secret Railroad?

Will O' The Wisp?

Dr. Snuggles?

-sigh-

-Fitz

Ooh, I despised Today's Special, probably because even at that age I detected a desperate, please-like-me phoniness about it. That, and it had CHEAP CANADIAN KIDDIE SHOW written all over it. ;)

Dr. Snuggles! I remember it but wasn't freaked out about it though.

The only part that really gave me the creeps was the Camel up in the clouds who spoke so sloooooooowlyyyyyyyy . . .

You don't remember Read All About It, then?

If we were face to face I could even sing you the theme song, but alas, we are not . . .

-Fitz

That wasn't the one with the talking footwear, was it?

[corrects self] No, that was Readalong. Remember the boot, and his gf, the pink pump?

Edited to add: Elsewhere on the MB I've posted about the lifelong traumas inflicted on me by Jeremy, the little bear.

*curls up in a ball, humming softly to self*

Strange you should mention Jeremy, I just found out that a friend of mine who grew up in Poland knew Jeremy too, by the name Colargol or something like that . . . AND it turns out that the Jeremy song we all know so well ("I'm the bear called Jer-e-my") is the same in Polish, only with Polish words, same tune.

As for Readalong, I once hallucinated Boot while on acid as a teen sitting at the end of my bed. All he would say is "Hiiiiiii!" in that nasal voice of his.

His girlfriend's name was Slipper.

Did you ever notice that the puppets on Readalong were the same make as the Today's Special ones? Sam could have been on Readalong ----------

oh my.

oh my I just dragged a horrific memory from the depths of my mind whilst thinking about Readalong. There was an episode once when they were reading a story about a Wicked Witch and her henchman. I don't remember much about it, except that the Witch didn't scare me, but her henchman did. He was a puppet (as was the witch) and he wore a black tophat, had dark round sunglasses and a huge black beard. Like all the adult puppets on Readalong and Today's Special he had no eyes (you could see from the side) and he didn't speak. He would open his mouth in shock though and over react to things. Thats about all I remember. I know, doesn't sound so scary, but childhood memories are sometimes like dreams, doesn't seem scasry in retrospect, but at the time . . .

-Fitz

Moomins scared me a bit (well the Groke did, and I was pretty scared of Little My too - what a wuss). I once tried to explain this to a Finn who was really bemused, as she regarded them with extreme fondness - she was, however, scared of Goofy, so perhaps it's a cultural thing. She used to call him "daddy long legs" as apparently that's what they call him in Norway.

Other things I was petrified by:

Chocky (AIIEEEEE)
Tripods (AAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE)
Certain episodes of Dramarama (intermittent AIAIAIEIEIEIEEE)

Leaferne - the guy about two thirds of the way down is probably the Henchman, but without the beard. They probably used the same puppets over and over being TVO and all . . . and don't you think Sam from Today's Special looks like the same puppet too?

-Fitz

I think you're right...probably all the same company anyway. :)

And wasn't it suspicious how the male host on Polka Dot Door (surely the planet's most boring show, next to Romper Room and Nascar) always managed to disappear right before Polkaroo showed up?

Yeah . . . and why didn't the Polkaroo hop around like other kangaroos? Was he too good for it, or something?

The Polkaroo was here again, and I missed him? Shucks.

-Fitz

There used to be a kid's show in Canada in the late 70s/early 80s called Read All About It that used to scare the shit out of me, I don't know why. It revolved around three or four kids who ran a newspaper in a small town and solved mysteries over a long period of time (usually no less than 4 I think) . . . their nemesis was an intergalactic badguy named Dunneedon, who also ran their town as mayor Don Eden, who had a scary afro.

If I remember, correctly, wasn't Dunneedon just a floating silver head? I mean, if you're looking for a reason to be scared that would do it (plus, I remember an episode where he trapped the kids in a room and slowly filled it with poisonous gas). Definitely not for young children who were faint of heart.

Plus there was something slightly sinister about that sentient type-writer and "talking" TV monitor -- quasi-intelligent robots that were just "off" enough to give you nightmares. Seriously, the clattering typewriter (with the huge plastic eyes)...something very poltergeistery about it. And, the monitor, although given a female name (ETNA, I think), had that male-like mechanical voice to her...*shiver*.

Actually, all of this brings up a very interesting point: kids shows. I think it's the dream-like logic to them (combined with those otherworldly-looking puppets) that just made the hair on the back of your neck rise. I remember another Canadian kids' show(I can't remember the name of it but the puppets were done by the same people that did "Read-a-Long" -- the one with the talking boot (named Boot, of course), woman's shoe (Pretty, I believe she was called), and Haunted House (with opening and closing front door for a mouth), where an old lady put on an ancient Native American tribal mask and when she took the mask off, was transformed into an old, Native American, woman...had her identity and physical form stolen from her...just because she happened to try on the damnable mask! It was her reaction, though (as much as a puppet could react, mind you) being absolutely horrified with her transformation...touching her face, her little puppet mouth opened in shock...:(

Seriously, what are the producers thinking when they make these shows? :)

Polterdog.

Polterdog,

You remember both shows a lot better than I do . . . except that the pink shoe's name was Slipper. I'm almost positive about that.

I had forgotten about Duneedon being a floating silver head, you're right. I also remember him sending one of the kids to a sort of limbo where time never moved. Must have been the studios of TVO . . . and yeah those computers were creepy too, the voicec of the one who talked was like a female chipmunk version of HAL.

I don't seem to recall the show with the Native mask though, was it one part of a show, or was that the whole thing? And did that happen each episode. The Readalong I was talking about with the henchman scared me for the same reason as your Natvie mask one did, it was his silent expressions. The witch would say something to the audience and the henchman would stand behind her and open his mouth in shock, and sort of put one hand in front of his mouth . . . it was truly unnerving.

Yeah, what was with puppets in kid's shows? Something about puppets is very frightening.

Do you remember the Letter People? I think it was American, but they showed it in Canada too.

Come and meet the Letter People
Come and visit the family
Words are made of Letter People
ABCD follow me . . .

-Fitz

I just checked on Readalong, and you were right, the slipper's name was Pretty.

-Fitz

Back