• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
I am browsing Twitter when I come across renowned Cryptozoologist Loren Coleman's theory for the probable explanation of the Olaus Magnus’ Sea Serpent - a.k.a the Great Norway Serpent, or Sea Orm.

The following article gives a run down on the history of the serpent. Following is Loren's explanation, highly plausible and interesting.

Olaus Magnus’ Sea Serpent
The terrifying Great Norway Serpent, or Sea Orm, is the most famous of the many influential sea monsters depicted and described by 16th-century ecclesiastic, cartographer, and historian Olaus Magnus. Joseph Nigg, author of Sea Monsters, explores the iconic and literary legacy of the controversial serpent from its beginnings in the medieval imagination to modern cryptozoology.
https://publicdomainreview.org/essay/olaus-magnus-sea-serpent

Loren Coleman's explanation:

I am browsing Twitter when I come across renowned Cryptozoologist Loren Coleman's theory for the probable explanation of the Olaus Magnus’ Sea Serpent - a.k.a the Great Norway Serpent, or Sea Orm.

The following article gives a run down on the history of the serpent. Following is Loren's explanation, highly plausible and interesting.

Olaus Magnus’ Sea Serpent

https://publicdomainreview.org/essay/olaus-magnus-sea-serpent

Loren Coleman's explanation:

Charles Paxton has been pushing this theory since at least 2011.

If that is supposed to be a whale, why is it spouting from its mouth?

:chuckle: I am pretty sure he used the exact same ones in the link you posted. It is probably quite a niche market in photography to be fair..

I'll never think of Moby Dick in the same way again.
On a different note, years ago, one of my cousins, a marine biologist, was also a dolphin trainer at the now long gone African Lion Safari adventure park in Western Sydney. She gained great fame amongst her peers at the time for having photographed the erect penises of her captive dolphins, apparently seeing them, let alone photographing them is a rare thing.

I'll never think of Moby Dick in the same way again.
On a different note, years ago, one of my cousins, a marine biologist, was also a dolphin trainer at the now long gone African Lion Safari adventure park in Western Sydney. She gained great fame amongst her peers at the time for having photographed the erect penises of her captive dolphins, apparently seeing them, let alone photographing them is a rare thing.
Now there is a grand claim to fame! :rofl:

Man, I am going to have to go as a whale penis to Halloween parties next year! Get the pink foam out, the black opening at the bottom as a hem.. Even good on a Zoom meeting.. :)

Man, I am going to have to go as a whale penis to Halloween parties next year! Get the pink foam out, the black opening at the bottom as a hem.. Even good on a Zoom meeting.. :)

But we insist you post pictures here first!

XE Currency Converter: 1 GBP to ISK = 174.015 Icelandic Kronur.9 Jan 2021

Having established that I am totally bemused by this, can you see how much it would cost to import? Seriously, I seem to be struggling :(

Having established that I am totally bemused by this, can you see how much it would cost to import? Seriously, I seem to be struggling :(
Is it this one?

Screenshot_20210207-231102.png

@Souleater

and lo! it has become mine! well, it's for as present but....

THANK YOU!

The following is purely for... 'biological education'.

[Edit: full details here (remove @)
@https://youtu.be/VWs8f_KSSJc]

Last edited:

A large fleshy object thought to be a bitten off whale's dick has washed up on a Queensland beach.

‘Massive’ object washes up on Queensland beach​

Online sleuths believe that they have identified a huge and bizarre animal part that washed up on a Queensland beach after a video of the object went viral.
A Queensland woman shared videos of the “disgusting” discovery she made on Magnetic Island to TikTok, which saw thousands of comments demanding answers on what the object was.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...h/news-story/6610afc31f74861085460894246417d0

Lots of Sea Monsters Were Probably Whale Dongs​

A lot of sea monster legends can be explained by exaggerated sightings of perfectly ordinary ocean dwellers -- the kraken was probably an already unacceptably large giant squid, mermaids were probably manatees viewed through the lens of half-starved and full-horny sailors, etc. But there aren't a lot of known creatures that can account for descriptions of sea serpents. An eel-like body with enough power to thrust itself high above the water? That's no whale ecologist Charles Paxton had ever heard of. But there was something that, he realized, matched those descriptions: a whale's hoodilly.

"Many of the large baleen whales have long, snake-like penises," he wrote in a 2005 paper. "If the animal did indeed fall on its back, then its ventral surface would have been uppermost and, if the whale was aroused, the usually retracted penis would have been visible." It turns out, if you're pretty far away and getting most of your hydration via rum, that looks an awful lot like a serpent's head or tail.

In fact, if one frisky cetacean was prowling for some fin in one area and another was doing the same some distance away, their respective wang-doodles could be mistaken for the head and tail of one creature, giving the impression of a truly imposing dong-beast. This likely accounts for sightings of monsters "longer than our whole ship" or, tellingly, in the middle of a pod of whales "frantic with excitement." The next time you hear something go bump in the night or just get a strange feeling you're not alone, take heart: It could just be someone's dick.

Full Article On Mundane Explanations Behind Cryptids: https://www.cracked.com/article_31406_4-stupid-real-world-origins-of-mythical-monsters.html

Scroll down to the part about whale 'dongs' but actually is all a good read.

Thank you! New Year's Day just got brighter :D

I am unwilling to discard all high strangeness encounters at sea just because they're at sea. Sure, a lot of sea serpent sightings probably  were misidentifications of known animals, but the other stuff doesn't even have to  be an animal. Given the vast array of weird apparitions seen on land (including, off the top of my head, a horse with a human face, a scorpion-man and even, if I recall correctly, a centaur), not to mention the never-ending parade of bizarre UFO entities, none of which were likely to be physical beasts as we understand them, I always roll my eyes at the ol' "mermaids were manatees" trope. I'm sure sailors have high strangeness entity encounters too.

Last edited:

Lots of Sea Monsters Were Probably Whale Dongs​

A lot of sea monster legends can be explained by exaggerated sightings of perfectly ordinary ocean dwellers -- the kraken was probably an already unacceptably large giant squid, mermaids were probably manatees viewed through the lens of half-starved and full-horny sailors, etc. But there aren't a lot of known creatures that can account for descriptions of sea serpents. An eel-like body with enough power to thrust itself high above the water? That's no whale ecologist Charles Paxton had ever heard of. But there was something that, he realized, matched those descriptions: a whale's hoodilly.

"Many of the large baleen whales have long, snake-like penises," he wrote in a 2005 paper. "If the animal did indeed fall on its back, then its ventral surface would have been uppermost and, if the whale was aroused, the usually retracted penis would have been visible." It turns out, if you're pretty far away and getting most of your hydration via rum, that looks an awful lot like a serpent's head or tail.

In fact, if one frisky cetacean was prowling for some fin in one area and another was doing the same some distance away, their respective wang-doodles could be mistaken for the head and tail of one creature, giving the impression of a truly imposing dong-beast. This likely accounts for sightings of monsters "longer than our whole ship" or, tellingly, in the middle of a pod of whales "frantic with excitement." The next time you hear something go bump in the night or just get a strange feeling you're not alone, take heart: It could just be someone's dick.

Full Article On Mundane Explanations Behind Cryptids: https://www.cracked.com/article_31406_4-stupid-real-world-origins-of-mythical-monsters.html

Scroll down to the part about whale 'dongs' but actually is all a good read.
You'll possibly also enjoy learning that the touted severed penis of Rasputin, 'the mad monk' which, the last time I heard, is in a penis museum (Iceland? Russia?) is possibly instead a sea cucumber. On a side note about other huge potential sea based dick stories that is.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/rasputin-penis

Last edited:
I am unwilling to discard all high strangeness encounters at sea just because they're at sea. Sure, a lot of sea serpent sightings probably  were misidentifications of known animals, but the other stuff doesn't even have to  be an animal. Given the vast array of weird apparitions seen on land (including, off the top of my head, a horse with a human face, a scorpion-man and even, if I recall correctly, a centaur), not to mention the never-ending parade of bizarre UFO entities, none of which were likely to be physical beasts as we understand them, I always roll my eyes at the ol' "mermaids were manatees" trope. I'm sure sailors have high strangeness entity encounters too.

Absolutely the "whale penises = sea serpents" thing that Richard Owens and other have obsessed over is where arch-scepticism becomes an "illogical logic" or the triumph of (un)reason to use two rather inelegant phrases. Hard sceptics who have to say "this so-called anomaly is a actually a prosaic thing masquerading as an anomalous thing" because it "has to be" in order to preserve their didactic worldview.

Cryptozoology used to be my thing and I believed in undiscovered animals, sea-serpents being my favourite as the largest, most "monstrous" and outre. The sea being very big and very deep was the get out clause for the lack of discovery. I no longer believe that there are huge undiscovered animals in the sea, though there may be a few "big" ones - certainly not 50+ ft long serpentine mammals or reptiles and probably no fish that size.

People see weird shit, sometimes it's a temporary illusion or pareidolia, sometimes maybe it's something we have yet to understand, and may never understand in a scientific sense.

Back