• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Serial Killer Films & TV

The My Friend Dahmer book and movie are worth checking out for more facts about the case. It is based on a guy (a professional cartoonist) who was his friend and grew up with him but lost touch after graduation. Lots of details of the decent into madness, as he knew Dahmer pre-murder/cannibalism.

His mom was around the bend, but I don't know that it was with UFO's specifically. I remember it as being more like mania and obsession with many things, The house was also pretty far away from neighbors.

The Last Client: Danish Nordic Noir. Susanne ( Signe Egholm Olsen) is a psychotherapist, her last client of the day Mark ( Anton Hjejle) seems, a little bit odd, paying the receptionist in advance in cash, notes and change. he is soon in control of the therapy session and shows just how murderous he is. She has to endure his game playing , knowing that her family may be at risk. We've already seen Mark at work, arriving at a victim's home dressed as a surgeon. Overpowering the woman he operates on her without anesthesia, removing a fetus which he places in a jar. This is not the only horrific scene in a film which is replete with disturbing sequences. The sound is very important, being followed on a cobbled street, a torn poster fluttering, someone thinking they heard a scream but dismissing it. There are some important plot twists which cannot be revealed here, perhaps one twist too many. The film is well worth watching though with great performances from Olsen and Hjejle, the tension is maintained throughout the 95 minute running time as the focus shifts from a clinic to woods. Directed & Co-Written by Anders Rønnow Klarlund. 8/10.

Saw it at Horrorthon.

Arctic Circle: Nordic Noir set in Finnish Lapland where it borders on Russia. At first this seems to be a Serial Killer drama but it swiftly moves into conspiracies. An STI virus is found in the bodies of the slain women, no ordinary one, this one has pandemic potential. A local police investigator Nina Kautsalo (Iina Kuustonen) has a personal interest, her sister is also infected. The interference of Intelligence operatives make her job harder. A German virologist Thomas Lorenz (Maximilian Brückner) has similar problems with his bosses so they team up to solve the mystery. The unforgiving tundra has to be carefully negotiated as human trafficking, the Russian Mob and rival scientists are uncovered. The body count mounts as the narrative unfolds with quite a few disturbing scenes. Nina and Thomas's family dramas don't quite descend into soap, rather they give the characters added background. Created by Olli Haikka and Petja Peltomaa, Directed by Hannu Salonen. Ten episodes on All4. 8/10.

Arctic Circle: Nordic Noir set in Finnish Lapland where it borders on Russia. At first this seems to be a Serial Killer drama but it swiftly moves into conspiracies. An STI virus is found in the bodies of the slain women, no ordinary one, this one has pandemic potential. A local police investigator Nina Kautsalo (Iina Kuustonen) has a personal interest, her sister is also infected. The interference of Intelligence operatives make her job harder. A German virologist Thomas Lorenz (Maximilian Brückner) has similar problems with his bosses so they team up to solve the mystery. The unforgiving tundra has to be carefully negotiated as human trafficking, the Russian Mob and rival scientists are uncovered. The body count mounts as the narrative unfolds with quite a few disturbing scenes. Nina and Thomas's family dramas don't quite descend into soap, rather they give the characters added background. Created by Olli Haikka and Petja Peltomaa, Directed by Hannu Salonen. Ten episodes on All4. 8/10.
I like a Scandi noir & this is good so far, 2 episodes in - bleak, gritty & intriguing enough. Nicely shot but makes you feel quite chilly watching it.

I like a Scandi noir & this is good so far, 2 episodes in - bleak, gritty & intriguing enough. Nicely shot but makes you feel quite chilly watching it.

Just started Season 3 pf Deadwind, another Finnish Noir, a serial killer at work but there's a lot more than that going on. Pretty good.

Just started Season 3 pf Deadwind, another Finnish Noir, a serial killer at work but there's a lot more than that going on. Pretty good.

Deadwind is awesome with conspiracies and a serial killer, or is it killers?

Watcher: Julia (Maika Monroe) is a Stranger in a Strange Land, she has moved from New York to Bucharest, accompanying her Romanian-American husband. She doesn't speak Romanian but is trying to learn, Julia isn't working, is alone during the day. From her arrival at her new apartment she has seen someone watching her from a window in a building opposite to hers. She then thinks that she is being followed and it turns out she is correct but finds it difficult to get the police or her husband to take her concerns seriously. Meanwhile a serial killer, The Spider, is menacing the city, he decapitates his female victims. While there are some jump shocks, instances of extreme violence and murder, the horror here is mostly psychological as an atmosphere of threat, foreboding and paranoia builds up. We share in Julia's alienation and frustration as no subtitles are provide when characters speak in Romanian, like her we have to depend on the bilingual performers for translation. Written and directed by Chloe Okuno in her impressive theatrical feature film directorial and screenwriting debut (Chloe wrote and directed the Storm Drain segment in V/H/S/94). 8/10.

In cinemas.

Woman of the Dead: An undertaker speaks to dead people and they reply. Not really though, it's a device, shes musing aloud and imagines their responses. Blum is the undertaker in an Austrian Tyrol town, her policeman husband is killed by a hit and run driver and the local police are tardy in investigating his death. Blum sets off on her own investigation which uncovers human trafficking, cult killings and more corruption in her community which is ruled over by a local family, seemingly above the law.. Some issues go back decades and are covered in flashbacks as are more recent events. Some gruesome scenes of the torture- murders carried out by the cult but the violence is mostly suggested. Even more disturbing are revenge killings carried out by Blum as they are shown in more detail including someone being burned alive. You may well concur that it;s deserved though. A tale of exploitation and murder of migrants with a corrupt police chief unwilling to act against the local "aristocrats". Pacing is a bit uneven and the tropes used are well worn but Anna Maria Mühe puts in a powerful performance as the often reckless and impulsive Blum. A few good plots twists and reveals which cannot be coveted here. Series Created by Barbara Stepansky, Directed by Nicolai Rohde. Six episodes on Netflix. 7.5/10.

Woman of the Dead: An undertaker speaks to dead people and they reply. Not really though, it's a device, shes musing aloud and imagines their responses. Blum is the undertaker in an Austrian Tyrol town, her policeman husband is killed by a hit and run driver and the local police are tardy in investigating his death. Blum sets off on her own investigation which uncovers human trafficking, cult killings and more corruption in her community which is ruled over by a local family, seemingly above the law.. Some issues go back decades and are covered in flashbacks as are more recent events. Some gruesome scenes of the torture- murders carried out by the cult but the violence is mostly suggested. Even more disturbing are revenge killings carried out by Blum as they are shown in more detail including someone being burned alive. You may well concur that it;s deserved though. A tale of exploitation and murder of migrants with a corrupt police chief unwilling to act against the local "aristocrats". Pacing is a bit uneven and the tropes used are well worn but Anna Maria Mühe puts in a powerful performance as the often reckless and impulsive Blum. A few good plots twists and reveals which cannot be coveted here. Series Created by Barbara Stepansky, Directed by Nicolai Rohde. Six episodes on Netflix. 7.5/10.
Just binged it. Very worth the time. Really enjoyed the series. Worth watching for the splendour of the landscape photography. Some good product out of the Deutschelands lately.

Incidentally, my grandfather spent time hunting through the Tyrol in the 1920s after he was demobbed from the AIF. I have a letter from him which he sent back to his society in Melbourne describing his travels. Spectacular country.

Holy Spider: Director Ali Abbasi has said he wanted to make a film about a Serial Killer Society rather than just a Serial Killer in this drama about Iranian mass murderer Saeed Hanaei. Hanaei (Mehdi Bajestani) targeted sex workers and believed he was on a Jihad because they were plying their trade in the vicinity of the tomb of the revered Imam Reza in the holy city of Mashhad. Even after he was caught many residents of Mashhad admire him and raise funds for his defence. Investigative journalist Arezoo Rahimi (Zar Amir Ebrahimi) arrives from Tehran to follow up on the story but finds conditions even more oppressive in the holy city, she has difficulty in securing a hotel room as a single woman, she needs to dissemble wearing a chardor to get audiences with officials, The police are taking the killings less than seriously, she suffers sexual harassment from a police chief. In a parallel narrative we see Hanaei at home with his family, mostly being a loving spouse and father. But also him as a predator, stalking the streets on his motorbike tracking down his prey, seeing the weaker sex workers, cutting them off and slaying them. Some really dark moments as he moves through the night streets carrying the dead on his bike like some horseman of the Apocalypse. I found these scenes even more disturbing than those in which he strangled his victims. Rahimi suspects that the killer is being protected by a conspiracy and her suspicions seems valis given the local public attitudes and the duplicity of most officials, She ends up pitting herself at risk in her determination to get to the root of the story. A Noir True Crime tale which maintains the tension throughout it's 2 hour running time. Directed and Written by Ali Abbasi. 8.5/10.

In cinemas.

Public Enemy (French: Ennemi Public) is a Belgian French-language crime thriller based loosely on the Marc Dutroux case. A child killer, Béranger (Angelo Bison) is released after 30 years into the care of a Abbey in the Ardennes near Vielsart,. The monks are divided as to whether or not he should be accepted into the order. When children in the area are killed, naturally suspicion falls on. Overseeing the case is Brussels detective Chloe Muller (Stéphanie C), she has her own demons, her sister disappeared more than 20 years ago. The inhabitants of Vielsart, provide their own dramas, with families divided. Indeed families are crucial to this narrative, families of monks, of police officers of cult members. Chloe's missing sister provides a story arc over the three seasons of this series, as does a strange religious cult. .The Abbey and Beranger are also central to the tale. A dark series with disturbing themes, violence and murders. Great performances from Bison. Vielsart, and an ensemble cast. The gloomy Ardennes forests could also be regarded as stars. Created by Antoine Bours, Gilles de Voghel, Matthieu Frances and Christopher Yates. On Netflix. 9/10.

Public Enemy (French: Ennemi Public) is a Belgian French-language crime thriller based loosely on the Marc Dutroux case. A child killer, Béranger (Angelo Bison) is released after 30 years into the care of a Abbey in the Ardennes near Vielsart,. The monks are divided as to whether or not he should be accepted into the order. When children in the area are killed, naturally suspicion falls on. Overseeing the case is Brussels detective Chloe Muller (Stéphanie C), she has her own demons, her sister disappeared more than 20 years ago. The inhabitants of Vielsart, provide their own dramas, with families divided. Indeed families are crucial to this narrative, families of monks, of police officers of cult members. Chloe's missing sister provides a story arc over the three seasons of this series, as does a strange religious cult. .The Abbey and Beranger are also central to the tale. A dark series with disturbing themes, violence and murders. Great performances from Bison. Vielsart, and an ensemble cast. The gloomy Ardennes forests could also be regarded as stars. Created by Antoine Bours, Gilles de Voghel, Matthieu Frances and Christopher Yates. On Netflix. 9/10.

Watched this quite some time ago on Prime. I'm generally kind of meh about serial killer dramas - which I think have been done to death (no pun intended), but I'd agree that this one is pretty good. There's a second series apparently (Edit: three all told, in fact) - not sure if that's on Netflix too - might resubscribe if it is (I'm being tactical with subs these days).

I'd also agree about the Ardennes as a setting/character - it really is the perfect environment for a particular kind of drama. And I've mentioned elsewhere that I think the Belgians have been making some really good TV the last few years.

Last edited:
Watched this quite some time ago on Prime. I'm generally kind of meh about serial killer dramas - which I think have been done to death (no pun intended), but I'd agree that this one is pretty good. There's a second series apparently (Edit: three all told, in fact) - not sure if that's on Netflix too - might resubscribe if it is (I'm being tactical with subs these days).

I'd also agree about the Ardennes as a setting/character - it really is the perfect environment for a particular kind of drama. And I've mentioned elsewhere that I think the Belgians have been making some really good TV the last few years.

All 3 seasons are on netflix.

Der Pass (Pagan Peak) – Season 2

I recommended the first season of this elsewhere some time back:

Has anyone mentioned Der Pass (rather unnecessarily rebranded as Pagan Peak for the US audience)?

A predictably po-faced Guardian review had it down as a rip-off of The Bridge, which is desperately unfair; it does use the cross border motif, and there is in fact a credit to Endemol for the format - but there's no real similarity beyond the basics.

Strangely posed dead body found high on the Austrian/German border. Mountains, forests, a healthy dose of the shivers; it has Krampuses, oh yes…Krampuses - but this is more neo-pagan, psycho survivalist, anti-modernity, eco-terror, blood and soil type stuff than full blown supernatural shenanigans.

Very watchable, and occasionally disturbing - a believable premise and an eerily convincing loon at its core. I found the female lead to be somewhat unengaging, but her amoral Austrian counterpart – played by Nicholas Ofczarek, lumbering around in clothes that make him look like a once handsome sofa that’s been thrown off a bridge – has a highly attractive dose of the Noirs about him, and could probably hold a series down all by himself.

Not perfect, but very watchable - I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The latest story is more of a fit for the serial killer genre, which, as a genre, I have little time for – having become tired of the associated tropes almost immediately post Manhunter. So, the fact that there’s nothing particularly tricksy about the way the serial killer aspect appears in Der Pass is, to me, a selling point; and it’s possibly because of this lack of overwrought artifice – the fact that not every plot-hole and narrative leap is papered over via the deus ex machina of the smugly savant psychopath - that the subject is covered about as effectively as I can remember. (Admittedly the villain is a very talented musician. But the crucial thing is that he’s not talented enough. It’s not achievement that marks out this protagonist, but privilege and its discontents.)

It helps that Dominic Marcus Singer, who plays the killer, is excellent. Outward charm and a genuine likableness, camouflaging a catastrophically socially and emotionally fractured individual; the character has a kind of vulnerability that seems utterly at odds with the murderously sadistic aspect of his nature, and there’s a seamlessness to the portrayal of these elements that seems to me to place the character – and the acting - somewhat outside the usual fare.

For those who like atmosphere and environment to be as characterful as the human protagonists, Der Pass also hits the bullseye. The landscape is a major character. Set in the stunning Zill Valley, this is not the land of chocolate box alpine scenery of crisp blue skies and snow covered peaks, but that of Caspar David Friedrich and the awesome, overbearing beauty of the Romantic poets – a sublime but pitiless leviathan, its enormous bulk hunched over the tiny lives of those who pass through it, ready to swat away the individual like a mote of dust at any time. The atmosphere is fantastic: heavy, dark and ominous - and stunningly beautiful at the same time.

Local lore and myth are an important (but not overriding) element to the storytelling - and there’s detail to whet an esoterically minded appetite. The story begins with the increasingly dark telling of a local fairy tale - which reflects the local belief that the landscape is both a source of the good things in life, but also a demon haunted place. There’s lore connected to hunting (an integral element of the story), and traditions around the ‘last breath’. The Krampus – an important element of Season 1 – makes a guest appearance. But I’ve not been able to discover the exact significance of the tin plates with writing on them, nailed up in threshold areas in some of the rural homes; they are referenced in the story, but their significance isn’t made totally clear (although it’s logical to assume some sort of apotropaic threshold totem).

The lumbering Nicholas Ofczarek (who plays Gedeon Winter – the Austrian half of the double act) is still impressive, and Julia Jentsch (The German, Ellie Stocker) has grown on me. In fact, all the acting is top notch.

As stated, the first series of Der Pass is based on a different sort of crime, but you really need to watch it to understand Season 2.

Season 1 got mixed reviews – very well regarded by some, it also (somewhat inexplicably to me – as I’m about the pickiest and most hard to please TV/Movie watcher I know) got some quite poor reviews, including one from the Guardian which was – quite frankly - borderline cretinous.

Season 2 is excellent, and I don’t care what anyone else says – it is now firmly in my list of top half dozen crime dramas since Forbrydelsen.

Last edited:
For anyone interested, you can get both seasons on NOW TV.

I just bought a months subscription.

But don't get caught out by the extras you get free for a week, and then get charged for; like that idiot did - the one who's wearing my trousers and typing on my laptop right now.

Some serial killer fiction which sounds quite interesting.

The age of the “Feminist American Psycho” thriller has arrived.

Are they battling patriarchy, or are they the symptoms of it? Is the serial killer a rebel, or the new pick me girl? That’s the tension that drives a wave of new thrillers.

The lack of women serial killers in fiction is often a source for 90s-style feminist outrage—an extreme version of anything you can do, I can do better—but the female serial killers that do pepper crime fiction have, up till recently, been rather cardboard cutouts of their male counterparts, mostly around for shock value. I shudder to think of one popular tale-turned-film in which the woman committing the crimes was merely carrying on for her father (the acceptable form of taking a man’s job). Women serial killers in fiction have, in effect, been the twist—a hat trick from an author who believes too much in the inherent kindness of women to realize why women might be tempted to kill (and kill again, and again).

Ever since Gone Girl, women’s rage has been considered marketable ground for psychological thrillers, and fiction has been far more likely to embrace the angry woman as a main character since the #metoo movement began, but she must still be Wronged in an Acceptable Manner (usually the twist with the angry woman is that she is, in fact, justified in her rage, or has at least been manipulated into her actions, and is never just the cheerful psycho. But I digress…).

Now, the fiery rage is transforming into cool-blooded killings, as an army of Patricia Batemans rises to eviscerate those who annoy them, providing plenty of detailed product recommendations and pop culture references along the way. Uniting all of the following protagonists is their vanity and self-centeredness, although they vary in their theoretical “right” to be unhinged. All have great outfits, perfect makeup, and deranged taste in music. Here are several works from this and recent years featuring women with Ripley-level amorality and the body counts to prove it. Many of the characters in these novels appear to be begging for someone to stop them, which also makes for a fascinating exploration of privilege in an extreme fictional setting. Others are using violence to feed the gnawing hunger society demands of their thin bodies. Some do it just because they can. These characters also exhibit a narcissistic lack of empathy and aversion to remorse, as the authors use their exaggerated features as a way of pillorying all those who get away with more than they should. ...

https://lithub.com/the-age-of-the-feminist-american-psycho-thriller-has-arrived/

Jamie Lee Curtis’ murder home from ‘Halloween’ is up for sale

Homicidal stalker not included.

Househunters will be screaming with delight to learn that the fictional home of Laurie Strode, played by Jamie Lee Curtis in the iconic “Halloween” franchise, is up for sale.

According to the listing, the Pasadena, California residence has been owned by the same family for nearly three generations and boasts a whopping 5,258 square footage alongside 4 bedrooms and three bathrooms.

As of Sunday, the house is currently listed to be going for $1.8 million.

https://nypost.com/2023/09/10/jamie-lee-curtis-murder-home-from-halloween-is-up-for-sale/

"1103 Fairview Avenue, South Pasadena, CA

P114731-1.jpg

History, charm, and income! Welcome to this character-filled, three-unit property on Fairview Avenue in South Pasadena. This area is considered a walker's paradise and is in the heart of the Library/Mission West district. It offers a wonderful opportunity for a savvy buyer to purchase a well-maintained vacant income property.

Yes, this was a filming location for the 1978 film 'Halloween,' as the house of Laurie Strode (Jamie Lee Curtis.) If you watch the film you'll recognize the infamous stoop that Jamie Lee Curtis sat on, holding a pumpkin
."

https://clw.exprealty.com/property/227-P114731-1103-fairview-avenue-south-pasadena-CA-91030

maximus otter

Making Ripley female was justified as a fresh direction.
The character was originally written as male. How boring that would've been - more blokes doing blokey fighting and guns. :roll:

Hi Scargie, which post were you responbding to?

Alien Ripley worked well with a female in the role but I'd also like to see Mr Ripley recast as a female.

If anything season 2 of Good Morning, Veronica is even better. The conspiracy deepens as Veronica has to combat a powerful Religious Cult leader with mafia links. The cult runs human trafficking, infiltration of the police and government. Children at an orphanage run by the Cult are trained to fill these positions or become mercenaries, those who don't make the cut are trafficked. Veronica is on the run but she has helpers. Her family and the world at large believe that she is dead. Some horrifying scenes, again not for the squeamish. The constant tension is maintained throughout the narrative as Veronica uncovers more dark secrets. Some of this disturbing hidden history is personal to Veronica. Six episodes on Netflix. 8.5/10.

Just 3 episodes in Season 3 but it neatly wraps things up with yet darker and even more depraved transgressions being uncovered. While the serial killer elements remained throughout the series, the Cultic, conspiracy and corruption tropes involving a perfect intersection of mafia, church, police and politics moved to the foreground. I highly recommend Good Morning, Veronica. On Netflix. 9/10.

Crimetime (1996): The plot is a tad convoluted but basically you have a crime reenactment television series. The studio executives are satirised to high heaven, after an old man is set on fire along with his dog one of the producers wants to get a dog from the pound to set on fire. Only viewership figures matter to them. Stephen Baldwin is a small-time actor who takes himself too seriously; his method acting style and histrionic outbursts costs him roles. But the Crimetime programme recruits him to re-enact murders carried out by a serial killer. Baldwin shines in the role and attracts the attention of the actual killer, Pete Postlethwaite, who leaves him encouraging voicemails with tips. The resulting relationship results in a synergy where at times Baldwin finds it difficult to differentiate fantasy from reality. A violent film with graphic scenes of murder and mutilation including one nauseating sequence with Postlethwaite lining up the trophies he's cut from his victims. The disjointed nature of the script means that I was, like Baldwin, unable to tell what was real from fantasy. Still there is good acting from Postlethwaite, Baldwin and Karen black on a supporting role. It might have failed to fulfill its potential but Crimetime is certainly worth watching. Directed by George Sluizer, Written by Brendan Somers. 6.5/10.

Streaming (free) until 22 March 2024 at: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/crimetime

Just 3 episodes in Season 3 but it neatly wraps things up with yet darker and even more depraved transgressions being uncovered. While the serial killer elements remained throughout the series, the Cultic, conspiracy and corruption tropes involving a perfect intersection of mafia, church, police and politics moved to the foreground. I highly recommend Good Morning, Veronica. On Netflix. 9/10.
I see that you first posted season 1 review way back in 2020. I started watching this one a couple of weeks ago when I was on vacation. I binge watched it for several days. I had to make myself turn it off to get to bed.

Really good crime drama. I'm just starting season 2 but haven't really started since I don't have a couple of days to binge watch if it is as suspenseful as the first season. I kind of sighed with relief as I see the second season is only 6 episodes. That I can binge in a day:yay:

Hounds of Love: Dark Australian thriller about a couple, John (Stephen Curry) and Evelyn (Emma Booth) White who abduct, abuse, torture and kill teenage girls. An opening sequence shows them offering a girl a lift after staking her. We then see a blood stained wall and bed. They move on to their next victim, Ashleigh Cummings who is tricked into coming back to their house and drugged, She tries to manipulate the couple, causing the Evelyn to become jealous.. It's a dangerous game though. While there is some violence a lot of it is suggested and the horror is mostly psychological. Escape attempts go awry, partially because the couple are regarded as crazy by their neighbours and even screams for help are discounted. Great acting by Cummings who is literally fighting for her life and also by Curry who acts truly psychotic and Booth whose mood swings offer alternatively hope or death to Cummings. Based on the true story of serial killers David and Catherine Birnie. Written and Directed by Ben Young. 8/10.

Recorded it from Film4 a while back.

Off Season: A serial killer strikes on on both sides of the Franco-Swiss border. The victims have been dosed with ketamine, bound and thrown into ravines to die of their injuries and exposure. Police Captains Peiry from Switzerland and Bouanni from France are charged with tracking down the killer. Both cops have their own problems, which rise above the soap which too often infuses there dramas. Peiry's threaten to derail the investigation and she is forced to make choices which bring her future career into question. There is also some sort of conspiracy going on regarding the expansion of a local Ski Resort. Very much character driven the narrative does provide a few red herrings but the protagonists actions make sense when seen in context. Six episodes. Directed by Pierre Monnard, Co-Written by Sarah Farkas. 8/10.

Streaming (free) at: https://www.channel4.com/programmes/off-season.

A Killer Paradox: Lee Tang (Choi Woo-shik) has just completed his national service, he's working at a convenience store. After being assaulted he strikes back and accidentally kills his assailant. Filled with remorse he's about to turn himself in when he discovers that the dead man was a serial killer. But there was a witness who blackmails him, she eventually goes too far and he also kills her, turns out she had killed her parents. His string of luck continues until he meets up with Roh Bin (Kim Yo-han) , another young man who wants to be Lee Tang's sidekick. Roh Bin is a skilled hacker and identifies worthy (evil) targets for Tang to dispatch. There's also a detective, Jang Nan-gam (Son Suk-ku) who suspects Tang is behind the killings but has no proof. There are no cardboard characters here, their lives are fleshed out, even the serial killers through flashbacks. The complexities of the main characters' lives are also explored, in particular Jang whose father was left in a coma after an assault years before. There is also the question as to whether Tang attracts the attention of serial killers or does he subconsciously recognise them? Quite a few violent deaths, some covered in detail, others in a kaleidoscope manner in the aftermath of Tang and Bin meeting up but all are gory, this is not a series for the squeamish or faint of heart. Another dark South Korean Serial killer series. Directed by Lee Chang-hee, Written by Kim Da-min. Eight episodes on Netflix. 8/10.

Last edited:
Ripley: A new take on Ripley is rendered in monochrome giving it a sinister tinge of Noir. Largely faithful to Patricia Highsmith's creation it does however make it clear from the outset that Tom Ripley (Andrew Scott) is no innocent abroad as we see him dragging a body down a stairs observed by a cat, Luigio, who inadvertently (?) becomes Tom's accomplice. Fade to six months earlier in New York where Tom is running low level scams, living in a tenement. He is mistaken for a friend of the absent Dickie Greenleaf (Johnny Flynn) and is hired by Dickie's wealthy father to convince him to return home from Italy. Tom travels to Arani, outside of Naples where he visits Dickie, pretending to have met him previously. He enters the life of Greenleaf and his girlfriend Marge Sherwood (Dakota Fanning), both are aspiring artistes with little talent, Dickie a painter, Marge a writer, they do however possess the means to play out comfortable lifestyles. Marge is suspicious of Tom, thinking that he is a parasite, she is also jealous of his bromance with Dickie. A friend of Dickie, Freddie Miles (Eliot Sumner) also questions Ripley's motives. In the 1999 film The Talented Mr. Ripley, Tom was more motivated by wanting to fit in and his resulting violence was driven by jealousy. Here Ripley is more of a conman from the outset and while he does value Dickie's friendship he has always had his eye on Greenleaf's remittance cheques. His violence thus is more cold and calculating rather than impulsive or opportunistic. He always is prepared for violence though when there's a risk of his plans going awry. Scott is impressive as the sociopathic Ripley who is not a pathological liar, every untruth advances his agenda. Good performances from Flynn and Fanning but Sumner doesn't convince as Miles, a role in which Philip Seymour Hoffman excelled in the 1999 film. John Malkovich who played Ripley in Ripley's Game (2002) has a cameo as an art critic. The series was created, written and directed by Steven Zaillian. Eight episodes on Netflix. 9/10.

Last edited:
Korea is a violent society. It will grow up and find maturity well before my own, to be sure.

In reference to Korean movies.

One of the finest films I've watched in ages totally ambushed me because I came to it without any prior knowledge, aside from the fact that I knew it had received some good reviews. It also makes it impossible to recommend by name without negating those particular circumstances.

So, it's on you. (Oh, but we do love a paradox):

At first, I thought I was simply watching an albeit slightly sinister and unnerving story based around the dynamics of a love triangle in the context of social inequality in South Korea, and the slow reveal afforded by my ignorance, combined with the movies masterful subtlety, made the experience all the more effective.

Around the New Year I took advantage of a couple of free monthly subscriptions, and maxed out the opportunity by binging on foreign movies for four weeks. Without having a particularly specific interest in serial killer movies, afterwards I was struck by how universal this type of criminal is, either as a specific subject, or as a vehicle for examining social issues.

The subjects of two Tunisian movies, Ashkal and Black Medusa might be described as serial killers - although there are clear allegorical aspects in both – and Ashkal might actually be described as a Fortean movie. Its location is also very distinctive and atmospheric - the Gardens of Carthage area of North Tunis being an extensive development commissioned by the old regime to house their senior staff, but never finished and now abandoned. And any male who does watch Black Medusa, just be warned, sit on a comfortable chair, because you may find yourself involuntarily clenching the nethers occasionally

Of the two Ashkal got the better reviews - but I thought both were striking.

And finally, there’s Holy Spider, based on the true story of the Iranian murderer who was, by coincidence, the subject of the inaugural post on the Serial Killers thread.

(Warning - Scenes of violence against women in the following trailer):

Directed by Ali Abbasi – who also directed the decidedly Fortean movie, Border.

Very gritty, excellent leads – truly disturbing that the killer became a folk hero to many people. The killer himself is portrayed with fine brush strokes rather than fat crayons – he’s not an evil genius, he’s a very damaged working-class bloke. It’s also effectively portrays - if anyone needed reminding - the difficulty of simply being a woman in such a society, even when you are not the intended victim of a serial killer.

Back