• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

fizzy55

Devoted Cultist
Hi, I wondered if anyone could help give me some ideas on this. A friend told me yesterday that he has been seeing a figure following him around. He first saw it in his room, then stood watching him at work, then on the sidelines when he was taking part in a race. He says it is black and fuzzy, like a tv screen on static and the closer he tries to get to it, the further away it seems. Nobody else has seen it.
I was concerned when he told me, but he says he doesn't feel scared by it. He said 'It looks like me. I think it's me, or at least, another version of me.'
What could this mean? I want to help him, something about this doesn't feel right. He's not one to talk deeply about stuff, but if he told me it's because he wants help understanding this. As do I. Obviously I told him to go for an eye test and to the doctors to rule anything else out. I feel strangely worried about this, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Yup, we had a poster on'ere who was having sight disturbances which turned out to be from a cataract.
Cataracts can cause all sorts of strange effects. Our poster was seeing what looked like smoke.

They don't make people think they're being followed by an actual entity though.

Some one following a person around who looks like smoke being caused by migraines or a sight problem? To me, if true, it doesn't sound or feel like a medical problem.

Having said that, I once saw prisms of rainbow coloured light when I looked into the distance. It didn't last long but it really worried me. It lasted maybe an hour or so.

I clean the windows of an opticians and later that week I asked one of the people who worked there about it. He called the actual optician who does all the eye testing stuff who came and asked me loads of questions about what I deemed seemingly unrelated stuff and she reckoned my over dosing of sugar rich biscuits caused the problem. She said it's not unusual but happens to older people occasionally, I was 64 then, now 66, and to stay away from from too many sugar rich processed foods in one sitting.

I had eaten a whole packet of chocolate digestives whilst visiting a friend.

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help give me some ideas on this. A friend told me yesterday that he has been seeing a figure following him around. He first saw it in his room, then stood watching him at work, then on the sidelines when he was taking part in a race. He says it is black and fuzzy, like a tv screen on static and the closer he tries to get to it, the further away it seems. Nobody else has seen it.
I was concerned when he told me, but he says he doesn't feel scared by it. He said 'It looks like me. I think it's me, or at least, another version of me.'
What could this mean? I want to help him, something about this doesn't feel right. He's not one to talk deeply about stuff, but if he told me it's because he wants help understanding this. As do I. Obviously I told him to go for an eye test and to the doctors to rule anything else out. I feel strangely worried about this, any help or ideas would be appreciated.

I’d get an ophthalmologist to rule out posterior vitreous detachment, though your friend’s experiences seem at third hand to be too detailed and persistent for that diagnosis.

maximus otter

The only time I've had something similar was when got back from All Saints Church after a ghost invest. We'd all been there before and had been respectful just in case until one night I decided to annoy the potential spirit we'd recorded previously.

I was in someone else's car and we were all dropped off at sunrise back at our homes. I was dropped off on my street and was walking up to my house, I had peripherals of a man walking behind me, about 10ft behind and to my right in the form of a shadow person which happened twice until I got home.

I was aware I was in a suggestive state of mind and tired because I'd been up all night and I'd also been looking for ghosts so I wrote it off as just my imagination. What concerned me more was that for the next couple of days and after I was rested, I kept catching glimpses of the same thing: the shadow of a male figure in our upstairs hallway, again about 10ft away.

Common sense dictates eye problems so nothing paranormal but to be on the safe side and remembering I'd called the spirit a coward, I decided to apologise out loud for my rudeness in my empty house and ask to be left alone and the visions stopped.

I'd suggest your friend also asks politely to be left alone now but also get his eyes checked so he can work out what's actually going on.

Yup, we had a poster on'ere who was having sight disturbances which turned out to be from a cataract.
Cataracts can cause all sorts of strange effects. Our poster was seeing what looked like smoke.

They don't make people think they're being followed by an actual entity though.
Around 10 years ago, I suddenly began losing visual acuity and and began getting black spots in my vision, it was the first symptom of MS. So, OP, if your friend is suddenly having visual disturbances, he must go to an ophthalmologist for a full exam. My damage was permanent.

Around 10 years ago, I suddenly began losing visual acuity and and began getting black spots in my vision, it was the first symptom of MS.
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope you're getting support.

Had similar a couple of years back, though the implications were trivial by comparison.

A cloud of black insects suddenly swarmed round me at home. There were other sight issues too.
Went reluctantly to A&E to be told it was a minor retinal tear, so common as to be almost normal at my age.
It settled down as I was told it would and the after-effects are tolerable.

Escet had the same but much worse last year and needed to have a bracket installed. Luckily he lives within spitting distance of a prestigious eye hospital and was sorted on the NHS in no time.

So yup, @fizzy55; plenty of advice here. :bthumbup:

I don't know what that means and frankly, I don't want to know! :D It was bad enough when they wanted to inject steroids into my eyes (thankfully they figured out it wouldn't have helped and didn't do it) but yeah, if your vision gets wonky, head for Specsavers immediately

I don't wear specs (yet) but I am grateful to Specsavers for continuing to make humorous commercials in an age of wokeist virtue signalling

I've said on here before, when I have a migraine coming on and I go for a walk in the dark, I 'see' black shapes, usually squares. They are blacker than the darkness and they seem to move alongside me or in front of me, when I flick my eyes to focus on them they vanish. So it gives me the illusion that dark black shapes are existing just out of my line of sight.

It's definitely migraines. I'm not being haunted by the ghosts of Amazon deliveries.

If it was hallucinatory, ie, seeing an actual figure shadowing you, the first thing I might have thought was Charles Bonnet Syndrome, although this is more common in the elderly who are losing their sight.

If the figure was always at the same distance, in the same position, I might presume an optical/medical issue. However, if the figure changes position, actually looks like him and appears to be able to act independently, I may not be so quick to judge. I have no idea if stress or prolonged anxiety could result in such experiences, but barring any other diagnosis, this is what a medic would probably tell him.

On the more unexplained side, and this is a bit of a reach, perhaps fear could somehow 'feed' it. I would be interested (if I was a paranormal investigator!) in testing this theory out. An alteration in his attitude towards the thing, or an attempt to communicate with it might provide some clarity - even if the image is a psychological manifestation.

Yesterday I had one of those headaches that won't quit but threaten to turn into a full-blown migraine. Nothing I could do would touch it. I took the dog out for a run and had a moment when I looked at the grass verge and watched it break up into lots of black shapes, a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. T'was most odd, but I knew exactly what it was, on account of having the banging headache already.

Back home, a pint of water and lots of painkillers and a nice sit down. I was right as rain.

Cats eye, I had a similar session yesterday- bouts of Nystagmus and dazzling dots, dog walk , painkillers and tv- nothing to demanding. Weirdly the film I tuned into was “The haunting of Pelham “ about a chap who appears to be haunted by his doppelgänger, who he never quite sees.

Back