• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Shingles

rjmrjmrjm

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but at the moment I am suffering from shingles (hence the late night lack of sleep-ness) and I was just wondering if there was any magic spells/potions that could help?

Or maybe any folk remedies that people know?

I'm do not have a huge interest in fortean esoterica so I appologise if this post seems out of place or mis-directed.

rjm:
My sympathies. I just had a bout of the shingles and they aren't no fun!
This was enough to get me into the doctor, who prescribed valtrex, which helped a lot. (I've still got some minor lingering symptoms, but nowhere near what the worst of the flare-up was.)

Both my doctor and my dentist both related that medical providers are seeing this more frequently than normal. They didn't have any explanation for why. (Although my dentist theorized that we're starting to see resistant viruses from the over-use of anti-viral drugs. Similar to what happened with bacterial infections.)

When I was at Uni one of my lecturers was off for months with what I believe was described as "shingles of the head", it didn't sound like a barrel of laughs. What's worse is that he was the one I'd chosen to be in charge over my dissertation, so they had to find a replacement :rolleyes:

Me Too

I'm also just getting over shingles. I got some high-tech pills which worked (they would want to at £10.50 each!). It does leave you tired. I was out of work for 2 weeks, went back for a few days, then was out another week.

Before the arrival of hitech pills, treatment was ointment based, with painkillers.

But good as my hitech pills were, the painkillers came in handy while they were working their magic. I also ensured I was eating plenty of fresh vegetables and drinking lots of multi-fruit juice. Important to watch your appetite.

One piece of advice:
Don't pick it!!
If you ever meet me, look at my chest*, I'm the woman who picked her shingles.

This invitation only extends to those who have shingles, the rest of you look me in the eye :mad:

My ex b/f had scars on his abdomen and just above his buttocks that resembled stab wounds. They were due to shingles and he reckoned it took him months to recover properly. Take care and like Leaferne, I hope you feel better soon.:glum:

bulldog said:
My ex b/f had scars on his abdomen and just above his buttocks that resembled stab wounds. They were due to shingles and he reckoned it took him months to recover properly.
Shingles before the advent of anti viral drugs was an absolute nightmare. Hubcap looks like he's had acid dropped on him, which is apparently what it felt like. Made him cry, and even I can't make him cry.
It does make you surprisingly tired and run down too, though I had the smallest does of shingles my doctor had ever seen, it was more than enough for me.

Beakboo, have you considered trying microdermabrasion for the scars? I has nasty scars on my chest from 2nd and 3rd degree burns years back, I'm getting weekly microdermabrasion and it seems to be reducing the scars quite a lot.

Fallen Angel said:
Beakboo, have you considered trying microdermabrasion for the scars? I has nasty scars on my chest from 2nd and 3rd degree burns years back, I'm getting weekly microdermabrasion and it seems to be reducing the scars quite a lot.
Couldn't afford it F, mind you, i could get Hubcap to work with some sandpaper :)

My doctor gave me Famvir - which thanks to the glorious NHS cost me nothing. Dunno if they're working yet, but they're like bloody horse pills.

He also said it will probably get worse before it gets better.

:(

Painfully yours...

beakboo said:
One piece of advice:
Don't pick it!!
If you ever meet me, look at my chest*, I'm the woman who picked her shingles.

This invitation only extends to those who have shingles, the rest of you look me in the eye :mad:

I guess beak just explained this inexplicable, errr, rash of shingles. :devil:

Incidentally, rjm, any specific reason you created this thread under "esoterica"?

Philo T said:
I guess beak just explained this inexplicable, errr, rash of shingles. :devil:
Good lord no, I had it about 3 years ago. Don't look at me!

Philo T said:
Incidentally, rjm, any specific reason you created this thread under "esoterica"?

Yeah, I wanted a spell/potion to help myself.

rjm said:
Yeah, I wanted a spell/potion to help myself.

No spells but my great-aunt says that you should drink spice tea (which sounded nasty to me: ginger root, cinnamon and valerian root steeped in hot water) and use a paste of thyme and peppermint oil (enough to make a paste of the thyme leaves) on the outbreak. Ick, but give it a try.

I asked her because her home remedies are really amazingly effective. Naomi got a nasty whack on the chin and I mixed up a "poultice" per aunt Gladys' instructions. TWO DAYS later the scab literally fell off completely healed underneath. The doctor had said she'd be bruised/abraded for a week or two.

Thank you Fallen. The Mr. has had shingles in the past so I noted Gladys' recommendations. Does she have anything for eczema?:)

oh yes please something for eczema. i've suffered from the bloody disease for 20 years and these days it's at one of its worst stages ever. iit's so bad i can't bend my index finger because of all the wounds and the generic bad condition of the skin.

That was wierd, I caught her online and she says unless she knows if it's dry eczema or weeping and what makes it worse she can't tell, but "if that's a dark-haired man asking, tell him it's his diet, and he needs to stop eating so many seeds".

I thought that was the strangest answer I ever got from her. Her sister, my Grandma, was able to do "faith healing" except that it was not the least bit religious or mystical, just herbal cures and her personal power. So I would not totally discount it. So. Ginocide, does your diet include a lot of "seeds"?

er... not that i know of. well, i eat pasta two or three times a week and technically speaking pasta is made of ground seeds, i guess...

Okay, it's possible she got a "feeling" and it missed the mark, she certainly does that. She suggested I might be pregnant a couple months after my tubal ligation. She is very old. *counts on fingers* OMG she's 97.

If you want to PM me the details of the eczema I can ask her if she has any recommendations. I expect you might not want to go into detail here. You too, LittleRed.

I made a Ginger and Cinnemon tea (couldn't find any valerian) and I didn't notice any super effect on making it go away but it took my mind off the pain and it was bloody gorgeous, I shall drink more of it, tell her thanks from me!

Valerian is great stuff. You can get valerian teabags or tinctures and all sorts at any health food shop. It's also in most of those herbal sleeping / stress tablets.

I regularly drink a tea of one valerian teabag and one chamomile for anxiety .... and hangovers, and to help me sleep and for muscle pain and ....

This is not about polio, but about Shingles.
I had never heard of shingles, and when I was younger I went to visit someone in the hospital. The man in the bed next to him was just laying there, he was in his 20's, and his wife was sitting there crying.
Turned out this young man had woken up one morning with the feeling that his foot 'had fallen asleep', we all know that feeling. The next morning the pins and needles had extended to his ankle. And it just kept going up his legs, he was becoming slowly paralyzed.
It was discovered that he had come down with Shingles, and instead of the shingles blisters coming out on the skin and bursting open, they had internally attacked his spine. And he would be paralyzed for the rest of his life.
I had a very mild case of shingles years ago, it was nothing. But then came down with it again, the usual blisters on the back, coming around the front, painful that time. But no lasting problems.

I had chicken pox as a child, and now that I am an official old fart, I went in three years ago for the 2-part shingles vaccine. The first part made me so ill (105 fever, etc.) my doctor told me to not take the 2nd half, as my body reacted so strongly I was probably fully immunized after the 1st half. I hope its the case :)

I'm a window cleaner with about 180 customers. I've never known a time when so many of my customers have shingles. One customer is in his early 30's. Also in the block where I live I've heard of 3 residents with shingles.

With my customers I used to hear of the odd one, mainly old age pensioners, every so often. Is there an epidemic of shingles all of a sudden?

Back