• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Should We Try To Rescue Ghosts? Are There Morals For Ghost Hunting?

It's a fascinating question and something to consider.

Now we have the media technology to create movies, videos etc., rather than just referencing ghosts in oral and written tales, are the phenomena of ghosts and spirits something that should be monetised?
Rather like the Warrens 'monetised' their shenanigans, persuading folks that their 'hauntings' were demons that needed exorcising? That for the 'safety' of people, allegedly cursed items must be collected then people get charged a fee to see them?
Turn ghosts into a replacement for the Victorian freakshows?
Count me out. I like a world where you can experience the bizarre and mysterious phenomena that hasn't got sponsorships plastered all over it.

Rather like the Warrens 'monetised' their shenanigans, persuading folks that their 'hauntings' were demons that needed exorcising? That for the 'safety' of people, allegedly cursed items must be collected then people get charged a fee to see them?
Count me out. I like a world where you can experience the bizarre and mysterious phenomena that hasn't got sponsorships plastered all over it.
Couldn't put it better myself. :hoff:

I agree totally.

I know cases where a haunted location has upped the sale price.

`We had a ghost but we exorcised it` Doesnt have the same saleability.
Unfortunately it is true.

I had posted this story here, some time ago, and it is along the lines of helping someone who is deceased, it happened to me:

"The worst thing that ever happened to me was after my mother passed away a few years ago. When I was a little girl, 6 to 7 years old, we lived in a 2nd floor apartment, a single woman lived downstairs. This woman (I'll call her 'Anna') worked in the textile mills all day, and often went out to the bars at night, she was a drinker. She started drinking so heavily that when she came home at 3:00 a.m. and put something on the stove to heat, she would fall asleep and the smoke would come upstairs. My parents then bought a house and we moved, never seeing her again.
As I grew older, my mother would show me photos she had taken of Anna, and told me her story. Anna had gained weight and didn't look well, she took my mother into confidence, she was putting a girdle on to hide the fact she was pregnant when she went to work, then went on vacation for a few weeks to give birth, came back and said she had given the baby up for adoption. My mom never told anyone, just me, and always hoped that Anna had gotten married and had a family and was happy.
Just after my mother passed on, Anna kept entering my consciousness, which is the only way I can put it, she kept saying to me, 'Find me, Find me', and wouldn't leave me alone. Whenever I had some time, I went onto the computer to look her up by her last name, but no luck. Months went by, my husband and I were busy moving, and I certainly had no time to look for her. I was just leaving the house to go to work one morning and I felt her grab my hand, imploring me.
Well I ran out of the house and looked her up on the computer at work when I had a moment, this time I found her through her husband's obituary, she had married, moved to another state, and he passed on. Now that I had her married name, I found that she had also passed on. But she still didn't leave me alone - I kept looking for census records and found she had several sisters scattered across the country, to make a long story short I found a nephew of hers in my area, and called him.
This nephew was not too pleased, and I gave him the old address where we had lived to prove I knew his Aunt. He also was not too pleased to hear that she had given a child up for adoption, especially since her family was annoyed with her because she had had a child previous to this one out of wedlock, and they had no idea she had a second child. Anyway, he emailed me a photo of Anna, a beautiful young woman, I still have the photo.
Obviously, she wanted her family to know about this child and perhaps to search for it, because after that Anna left me alone. But my conclusion is that I was the only person alive who knew her story, my mother had passed, and it was left to me to tell her family.
And her family held a church service for her, to help her rest in peace."

Anna never came back to me, so I believe she is at rest.
That's a really interesting story. The phrase you used, "Anna kept entering my consciousness" struck a strong chord withme

That's a really interesting story. The phrase you used, "Anna kept entering my consciousness" struck a strong chord withme
I felt 'haunted' by her, and she wouldn't leave me, it was really upsetting. And it went on for quite a long time.
I am happy that I was able to help her and get in contact with her family, she was distressed.

Sorry - I hit the post button by accident!
The thing is, the story reminded me of a strange though unspectacular thing that happened to me when I was younger. I had had a sister called Margaret, born 15 years before me, who had died shortly after her first birthday. I was only vaguely aware of her while growing up (non-one ever tells you anything when you're the youngest in the family!) but when I was about thirty she repeatedly kept entering my consciousness. It felt very much like an external contact and a connection with a seperate person, quite different from anything I had experienced up till then. I felt strongly that it was important that I lay flowers on her grave.

She had no marked grave, being an unbaptised child, and in fact my parents were not allowed to attend the interment at the time (this was the late 1940s). But I talked to the vicar at the small Hampshire village and they had a detailed map of the churchyard so I was able to lay the flowers where she was buried. Then the connection with her gently faded out.

Of course this could have been all in my imagination. But it had a texture of communication which I can't put my finger on but felt very real and different.

In some ways the implications are rather depressing. If deceased people can have unfulfilled needs, then it is a bad lookout for them if there doesn't happen to be a convenient relative or friend they can somehow influence to carry out their wishes.

Sorry - I hit the post button by accident!
The thing is, the story reminded me of a strange though unspectacular thing that happened to me when I was younger. I had had a sister called Margaret, born 15 years before me, who had died shortly after her first birthday. I was only vaguely aware of her while growing up (non-one ever tells you anything when you're the youngest in the family!) but when I was about thirty she repeatedly kept entering my consciousness. It felt very much like an external contact and a connection with a seperate person, quite different from anything I had experienced up till then. I felt strongly that it was important that I lay flowers on her grave.

She had no marked grave, being an unbaptised child, and in fact my parents were not allowed to attend the interment at the time (this was the late 1940s). But I talked to the vicar at the small Hampshire village and they had a detailed map of the churchyard so I was able to lay the flowers where she was buried. Then the connection with her gently faded out.

Of course this could have been all in my imagination. But it had a texture of communication which I can't put my finger on but felt very real and different.

In some ways the implications are rather depressing. If deceased people can have unfulfilled needs, then it is a bad lookout for them if there doesn't happen to be a convenient relative or friend they can somehow influence to carry out their wishes.
Thank you for sharing. You made a lot of great observations.

A month ago I was walking around in downtown area where I live. The downtown core of our city is extremely haunted. There's quit a few haunted buildings and houses. As it turned out I had walked over 40 city blocks, moving in a circle around the core of the downtown. As I walked I would stop at each known haunted place, and say a short prayer. I wished I could help them, save them. But I know it is not my place to interfere with their choices. I wonder how many people take the time to go to these places, and send love, or white light, perhaps an offering of an astral gate in which the spirit, or spirits could exit.

The whole issue is down to a persons own belief.
Do you believe ghosts are 'lost souls', looking for closure? Seeking revenge, guidance?
Do you believe in ghosts at all?
And if you pray to have their spirits released, do you think God has somehow overlooked them and 'accidentally' left them on Earth.
I'm not criticising the right for anyone to hold genuine and fervent belief in a Creator - but I question the right to appoint oneself as an agent of the Almighty.
Ed and Lorraine Warren appointed themselves God's warriors in the fight between good and evil, but completely coincidentally made a lot of money out of it. I'm not saying people who pray for the lost souls are trying to make money - I'm asking what makes someone the arbiter of what happens to an Earthbound spirit?
I often hear folks claiming to 'say prayers' for people, even if they hadn't asked for it or are unaware of this 'divine intervention', and I'm sure it gives great comfort to believers. But, when it comes to ghosts, who decides who should stay or go? What if the spirit was a fervent unbeliever and, in fact, their afterlife has confirmed this stance?
I fear for the future, where there's an increase in You Tube channels of earnest folks entering supposedly haunted places and, after a brief exploration, a quiet and reverent ceremony is held and the postscript says "After our intervention, there were no reported reoccurrence of the phenomena!"

I'm sorry, but if you believe in God then it must be part of their ineffable plan. What if God is putting that unfulfilled spirit to learn that their own wishes are immaterial to God's?
"God has doomed me to remain here for all eternity. If I only had a descendant to honour my grave, and pray for me, so I could move on!"

Do you believe ghosts are 'lost souls', looking for closure? Seeking revenge, guidance?
And if you pray to have their spirits released, do you think God has somehow overlooked them and 'accidentally' left them on Earth.
I'm not criticising the right for anyone to hold genuine and fervent belief in a Creator - but I question the right to appoint oneself as an agent of the Almighty.
Ed and Lorraine Warren appointed themselves God's warriors in the fight between good and evil, but completely coincidentally made a lot of money out of it. I'm not saying people who pray for the lost souls are trying to make money - I'm asking what makes someone the arbiter of what happens to an Earthbound spirit?
I often hear folks claiming to 'say prayers' for people, even if they hadn't asked for it or are unaware of this 'divine intervention', and I'm sure it gives great comfort to believers. But, when it comes to ghosts, who decides who should stay or go? What if the spirit was a fervent unbeliever and, in fact, their afterlife has confirmed this stance?
I am not religious, and have trouble with the thought of life after death -
But these tortured souls do come to me from time to time, and there really is no explanation for it, except that they search for those that can hear them and help them.
My British Grandmother lived with us, my parents bought an older home and she was 'bothered' by a man (ghost) standing under the old grapevine in the backyard, when she was hanging clothes every morning. She described this man to an elderly neighbor, who told her that the man died under that vine of a heart attack, years before.
One morning my Grandmother went up to him and told him that he didn't realize that he was deceased and needed to leave. She never saw him again after that.
There are many people who can see and hear these souls, perhaps in my case it runs in the family.

What a boring planet it would be without ghosts lurking on our dark and lonely roads and creaky old houses (etc.). However, I don't actually believe these self-proclaimed Mediums can "move on" ghosts to "the next level" or whatever so I don't lose any sleep over it.
I don't disagree with you Paul_E (I don't have the answers and you have your experiences), yet it has just struck me that it will never be a boring planet whilst we have more belief in the existence of ghosts than we do in Mediums.

Obscure parts of various church denominations have a lot of history and experience in dealing with such things, but I imagine anything more than a simple blessing would have to be referred up the chain and risk being lost in ecclesiastical bureaucracy.
A blessing from the Heart is never a waste.

I fear for the future, where there's an increase in You Tube channels of earnest folks entering supposedly haunted places and, after a brief exploration, a quiet and reverent ceremony is held and the postscript says "After our intervention, there were no reported reoccurrence of the phenomena!"
You raised a lot of good points.

I'm sorry, but if you believe in God then it must be part of their ineffable plan. What if God is putting that unfulfilled spirit to learn that their own wishes are immaterial to God's?
"God has doomed me to remain here for all eternity. If I only had a descendant to honour my grave, and pray for me, so I could move on!"
Sounds like Shinto.

I remember reading about an OBE, where the experiencer was asked by an external entity to rescue so-and-so from the loft. The experiencer was afraid of entering the dark space but found the spirit of a baby there, which he (I think) embraced and released into the light. The details are vague, and I've probably made some mistakes, but I think it likely came from a book by Ian Wilson.

I remember reading about an OBE, where the experiencer was asked by an external entity to rescue so-and-so from the loft. The experiencer was afraid of entering the dark space but found the spirit of a baby there, which he (I think) embraced and released into the light. The details are vague, and I've probably made some mistakes, but I think it likely came from a book by Ian Wilson.
Interesting. I would not place out of the realm of possibility that Alien Beings maybe sometimes, or quit often, conducting experiments with people in regards to ghostly, spirit based experiences, specially if there is any physicality to it.

If I recall correctly, Shinto allows you to treasure and revere your ancestors, but doesn't actually expect you to promote them to a higher plane or whatever.
Yes I think your right. If we could just help spirits of deceased humans, specially children, if there are child spirits, to cross through a door to a better place. At least an exit, choice from where they are now.

But who appointed you as a 'helper'? Who decides which ghost needs help or even wants to 'move on'? How do you know what the conditions are that you are releasing them from?
It's a similar proposition of asking is it morally acceptable to offer prayer or even exorcism 'services' just in case it makes mentally ill people better?

Ultimately It's all down to what are ghosts?
Are they recordings? Do they have agency? These questions have been asked for decades (centuries?) and still remain.
Example: You hear the sound of children crying in an abandoned hospital ward. Wave your hands, mutter your incantations, as much as you want. YOU assumed those noises were created by spirits that needed, wanted, to 'move on'.
The actions you took were for your satisfaction. "I did what I could for what I thought were good reasons." But does your opinion give you the right to act.
I'm becoming a little worried about this discussion now. Looking over it, it's less about "do we need to do something about this" (a moral question) and more about vindication. Especially with your phrase ...
If we could just help spirits of deceased humans, specially children, if there are child spirits, to cross through a door to a better place.
Who told you they needed help?
I'm leaving this discussion.

I'll add my thoughts on here, based on something that has troubled me for decades. In the early 1980s, for one year, I lived in a house that was haunted, although I didn't really think of it as haunted at the time, more as weird, or spooky. When I moved out, I found that a woman had killed her three children in the house and then committed suicide. Reading some police accounts a couple of years ago put more context in, and my bedroom (shared with my younger brother) was where she had killed the three children, and my parents' bedroom was where she killed herself. The sense of presence in my bedroom, and the bathroom, was often unbearable, often forcing me to abandon the 1st floor altogether and retreat to the ground floor living room. What has troubled me for years is the sound of crying I once heard coming from the front bedroom.

My feeling is this wasn't a timeslip, this wasn't stone tape, this was the mother trapped in the place where she killed her kids and herself. Does she know she is dead? Does she remember killing her children? I've no idea, but the overwhelming sense of presence indicated to me that, in some way, she was there, perhaps trapped in some kind of nightmarish dream state (I also heard sounds of someone moving around in the kitchen, doing kitchen stuff). In this case, if the haunter was the mother in some form, she was clearly as troubled after death as before it, and this has bothered me ever since. I have never been back, and have no idea if the house is still haunted, but it could be - and I can still remember the sound of crying coming from that bedroom. Ethically, leaving someone in misery seems wrong, and without knowing if it has any effect or not, I have over the years directed an occasional prayer in that direction - because this seems rather different than, for example, someone haunting a place they loved and do not wish to leave.

I'll add my thoughts on here, based on something that has troubled me for decades. In the early 1980s, for one year, I lived in a house that was haunted, although I didn't really think of it as haunted at the time, more as weird, or spooky. When I moved out, I found that a woman had killed her three children in the house and then committed suicide. Reading some police accounts a couple of years ago put more context in, and my bedroom (shared with my younger brother) was where she had killed the three children, and my parents' bedroom was where she killed herself. The sense of presence in my bedroom, and the bathroom, was often unbearable, often forcing me to abandon the 1st floor altogether and retreat to the ground floor living room. What has troubled me for years is the sound of crying I once heard coming from the front bedroom.

My feeling is this wasn't a timeslip, this wasn't stone tape, this was the mother trapped in the place where she killed her kids and herself. Does she know she is dead? Does she remember killing her children? I've no idea, but the overwhelming sense of presence indicated to me that, in some way, she was there, perhaps trapped in some kind of nightmarish dream state (I also heard sounds of someone moving around in the kitchen, doing kitchen stuff). In this case, if the haunter was the mother in some form, she was clearly as troubled after death as before it, and this has bothered me ever since. I have never been back, and have no idea if the house is still haunted, but it could be - and I can still remember the sound of crying coming from that bedroom. Ethically, leaving someone in misery seems wrong, and without knowing if it has any effect or not, I have over the years directed an occasional prayer in that direction - because this seems rather different than, for example, someone haunting a place they loved and do not wish to leave.
A lot of good points. Thank you. Maybe guilt and remorse can act as energy fields of entrapment? Maybe Karma too?

But who appointed you as a 'helper'? Who decides which ghost needs help or even wants to 'move on'? How do you know what the conditions are that you are releasing them from?
It's a similar proposition of asking is it morally acceptable to offer prayer or even exorcism 'services' just in case it makes mentally ill people better?

Ultimately It's all down to what are ghosts?
Are they recordings? Do they have agency? These questions have been asked for decades (centuries?) and still remain.
Example: You hear the sound of children crying in an abandoned hospital ward. Wave your hands, mutter your incantations, as much as you want. YOU assumed those noises were created by spirits that needed, wanted, to 'move on'.
The actions you took were for your satisfaction. "I did what I could for what I thought were good reasons." But does your opinion give you the right to act.
I'm becoming a little worried about this discussion now. Looking over it, it's less about "do we need to do something about this" (a moral question) and more about vindication. Especially with your phrase ...

Who told you they needed help?
I'm leaving this discussion.
Its all about giving the option to the human deceased spirit. Most often a spirit of ghost of a person is stuck in a time loop. Not having enough energy to leave the location. They maybe drained, and not able to muster enough energy to cross over. For all we know they may only need a little nudge. Just a little bit of extra help could go along way. For centuries there have been numerous Shamans who have helped countless spirits to move on. I never spoke of rights, I speak of possibilities. There are also numerous accounts of spirits talking into recorders of all types, They are asking for help? When you see anyone in distress, who amkes that person a helper? Its no different with human diseased spirits. You see, its called compassion.

Most often a spirit of ghost of a person is stuck in a time loop. Not having enough energy to leave the location. They maybe drained, and not able to muster enough energy to cross over. For all we know they may only need a little nudge. Just a little bit of extra help could go along way.
In your opinion this is what a ghost is. But what if you are wrong?

You see, its called compassion.
Thank you for your passive-aggressive instruction/finger-wagging. I know what compassion is. I have it for real living humans.
You seem intent on treating a supposed entity as human "just in case".

I'm afraid I don't subscribe to those who consider it their right to make choices on other peoples behalf, based on their beliefs.
You seem to think you have the 'moral duty' to help something 'pass on', in the assumption it's a human conciousness - and wonder if others here share that privilege.
Discuss whether ghosts exist or not (as if that particular debate is new :rolleyes:); consider if it's possible that ghosts can be 'moved on' (as paranormal investigating mediums feel empowered to do). But don't assume that just because I don't think you have the right to do so, I am some form of awful person.
Ultimately, re-reading your initial post, you seem to want clarity in the moral stance of ghost hunting. Really, this question depends on the morals of the ghost 'hunter'. What is the objective of the investigator? To discover evidence? To experience something out-of-the-ordinary? To de-bunk the notion of a haunting? Or is it the 'mission' to save souls who have already 'gone beyond'?
I get the impression that the latter is more of interest to you.

I know I said I'd leave the discussion, but I couldn't help rising to the bait of personal attack, no matter how oblique.

Generally its a shaman/priestly figure.

But in many parts of the world, such folk are hard to find, these days.
Unless you watch You Tube and Tiktok videos.
Or horror movies, of course. You get papal-registered exorcists there too.

Back