• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

Last night I found out that someone I know was fingerprinted in the June Ann Davaney case in 1948. :shock:

Davaney was a girl of 3 who was abducted from a hospital ward in Blackburn and murdered. The police appealed for all the men in the area to give their fingerprints so they could be eliminated from the enquiry.

44,000 sets of prints were taken. The offender, 22 year-old Peter Griffiths, was caught as a direct result and hanged the same year.

My friend's father volunteered, along with the rest of the male population, and took his little daughter along. She too demanded to be fingerprinted. The police sportingly 'did' her too and she took her prints home. She still has them. :D

Just found out my Mum met David Cameron... when he was a kid!
She used to work as a dinner lady at his school.
She only found this out yesterday, when she found an old school play programme for a play she saw (Prince Edward was the lead actor, David Cameron was one of the others).

My parents met Sarkozy in the 90s whwn he was just mayor of part of Paris. They have a picture of him with them. (Alors! Ze Irish might have some relatives here!)

While working in London a couple of weeks back I stopped for a coffee near the Fitzrovia Tavern on Charlotte Street. At one point I thought a tramp had come and sat on the table next to me but on closer inspection it turned out to be David Threlfall, who, it appears, has to smarten himself up in order to play Frank Gallagher.

I finished my coffee and walked around the corner, in the process bumping into another street person leaning against the window of a sandwich bar - although this time of a loucher and slightly less bedraggled kind, a crust on his uppers type - which turned out to be Bill Nighy.

And...

Last night I was scanning a newspaper website when my attention was drawn to a story about an Edinburgh dog-walker finding a woman's head in a carrier bag. About two paragraphs in I realised the dog-walker was an ex girlfriend that I haven't seen or spoken to in around ten years.

Bizarre - I really can't picture someone so anal and fastidious having a dog.

Spookdaddy said:
Last night I was scanning a newspaper website when my attention was drawn to a story about an Edinburgh dog-walker finding a woman's head in a carrier bag. About two paragraphs in I realised the dog-walker was an ex girlfriend that I haven't seen or spoken to in around ten years.

Bizarre - I really can't picture someone so anal and fastidious having a dog.
I posted the beeb account of that story last year:
http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... 939#842939

As I noted then, "A strange enough story in itself, but even stranger for me, as the location is within a couple of hundred yards of where my cruise ship docked last October!"

So how many degrees does this leave me from Spook's ex?! 8)

I met Henry Moore once; my mum was going out with his gardener.

Another one-time meeting was with Annie Lennox before she was famous; she knew my sister's boyfriend, who also knew Crissy Hinde (but I never met her).

Sgt Benton out of Doctor Who was our lodger for a bit; I met one of the Daleks as well(Gerald Taylor) when I was kid, both of these were friends of my brother who has had loads of celeb friends and aquaintances but I've forgotten them all.

Well, get remembering then! :roll:
:lol:

eburacum said:
Sgt Benton out of Doctor Who was our lodger for a bit...
I've started to wonder whether, in six jumps or fewer, I could find someone who hasn't met John Levene - he certainly seems to have got around!

When Adam Walsh, the young son of true crime television's John Walsh ("America's Most Wanted") was murdered in Florida nearly 30 years ago by the notorious cannibal-murderer Ottis Toole the future and even more notorious Milwaukee cannibal-murderer Jeffrey Dahmer is believed to have been no more than 300 feet away.

There was apparently no connection between the two men, they seem to have been totally incognizant of each other - merely two bloody pirate ships passing.

Though if anybody cares to postulate some possible Paranormal element here, be my guest. I've often enough speculated along that line myself.

Sadly, I'm almost certainly within a very few degrees of a local postman, who has just pleaded guilty to 27 charges relating to paedophilia. :shock:

Although I didn't know him personally, and I think he's too young too have been at the Post Office when I last worked there, I can probably make a link via other postmen. He was also a part-time taxi-driver, and connected with the town football club, so there are probably other connecting links radiating out as well.

I just watched the BBC News Channel covering the story from Truro Crown court, and they showed film of the local area as well as several photos of the yet-to-be-sentenced criminal. He's a good-looking young man, should have had no trouble pulling women in the normal way... very odd.

I hope I'm not also within six degress of the Crossbow cannibal, however... :(

OldTimeRadio said:
When Adam Walsh, the young son of true crime television's John Walsh ("America's Most Wanted") was murdered in Florida nearly 30 years ago by the notorious cannibal-murderer Ottis Toole the future and even more notorious Milwaukee cannibal-murderer Jeffrey Dahmer is believed to have been no more than 300 feet away.

There was apparently no connection between the two men, they seem to have been totally incognizant of each other - merely two bloody pirate ships passing.

That reminds me of the fact that both Hitler and Stalin were living in Vienna during 1913 - there's no evidence that they actually met, though.

That reminds me of the fact that both Hitler and Stalin were living in Vienna during 1913 - there's no evidence that they actually met, though.

I'm writing the novel! They swear to aid eachothers rise to power!

Idi Amin, the Black Panther (Donald Neilson) and Frank Kitson all served together in the same unit in Kenya during the Mau Mau uprising.

My ex housemates brother married Robbie Williams cousin - on the wedding vid, Robbie is doing kareoke to his own song Angels, it's laugh out loud funny :lol:

My ex was in a singing trio with Corrine Bailey Rae at school

I've kissed someone who kissed Robbie Williams the week befor

My friends dad was the promotor who brought The Who to Leeds for the gig of their Live in Leeds album

Big Breath, the most tenous link to someone who should be famous -

My uncles friends daughter married the brother of the man who designed the first Channel four logo, the one that spun

ramonmercado said:

I'm writing the novel!

I think it would be better suited to a sitcom, myself.

They swear to aid each others rise to power!

With hilarious consequences, naturally ;)

Anyone remember this?

I learned tonight that it was built by a friend of my brother. :D

WhistlingJack said:

Just think how many Brits, and even visiting Yanks for that matter, must have at least obliquely interacted with Vlad Lenin during his stay in London.

OldTimeRadio said:
Just think how many Brits, and even visiting Yanks for that matter, must have at least obliquely interacted with Vlad Lenin during his stay in London.

This is off-thread, as I obviously have no idea if they ever did cross paths, but I was once chatting to my grandad, who died a couple of years back at the ripe old age of 99, and for some reason the conversation wandered onto Jack the Ripper. He was from a seafaring family and he told me that his own father (who was similarly long-lasting) had been between ships and lodging in the East End, just off the Whitechapel Road, during the time of the killings.

Obviously, hundreds of thousands of people were around the East End at the same time and a significant proportion of them will have come into contact with the killer - any claim in that direction would be ridiculous. However, what gave me pause for thought at the time was how little removed I was from the past: there was I talking to a man I was very close to about another man with whom he had a similar relationship - at thirty-something I was only one remove from the East End of the 1880's.

I know, it's obvious - but at the time it kind of took me aback even though I'd say that I am very historically conscious (for want of a better phrase - I'm sure you know what I mean).

The past may be a foreign country, and they may do things differently there - but it's not very far away.

Several years ago, in the midst of Pleistocene research, I visited Atlanta and took the Martin Luther King tour. This history was so recent I felt like I'd stepped down a short step in the dark and was likely to break my ankle. I was looking at this man's shoes, and at that time his widow was still alive! It felt intrusive. I remember when 100 years seemed like a long time; now it's an insignificant fudge factor on a carbon date.

I posted earlier how one friend connects me within 6 degrees (barely) of Abraham Lincoln, Robert E. Lee, and the Bros. Grimm. And my brother-in-law's great-uncles were the Dalton Gang. (He's in law enforcement now.)

My late Dad knew the great 1920s and 1930s torch singer and Broadway star Helen Morgan.

Dad had a 17-piece dance band (of purely local repute), "Bud Wagner and His Navigators," when he was in his Twenties and one of his sidemen was a friend of Morgan's. She'd visit him whenever she was in town and several local musicians would gather at his apartment for a concert.

P. S. One of Dad's trumpets was Doris Day's first husband.

WhistlingJack said:

I suppose, like so many double acts, their artistic collaboration would wax and wane in parallel with their personal relationship. So their initial succesful outings with The League of Mental Men and Führer, Der Führer (starring Donald Sunterdenlinden), would soon be followed by efforts such as Blitz This House, Shoot Thy Neighbour, Manstein About the House and Carry on Camping (with Barbarossa Windsor and Burning Breslau), which, after running out of ideas and dragging on for several seasons too many, would be followed by Ever Decreasing Encirclements, Last of the Summer Offensive and finally, Führer Tot.

Spookdaddy said:
WhistlingJack said:
... followed by efforts such as... Carry on Camping (with Barbarossa Windsor and Burning Breslau)
Also known as Mein Kampfsite...

escargot1 said:
Anyone remember this?

I learned tonight that it was built by a friend of my brother. :D

That looks interesting, I've not seen it before though!
I lived down the road from Peter Fairhurst as a kid, who built the worlds first round car, I was even allowed to look inside. He built me my first bicycle too :D

Eta - a member of Steeley Span lived over the road at that time too, remember them?

Spookdaddy said:
WhistlingJack said:

I suppose, like so many double acts, their artistic collaboration would wax and wane in parallel with their personal relationship. So their initial succesful outings with The League of Mental Men and Führer, Der Führer (starring Donald Sunterdenlinden), would soon be followed by efforts such as Blitz This House, Shoot Thy Neighbour, Manstein About the House and Carry on Camping (with Barbarossa Windsor and Burning Breslau), which, after running out of ideas and dragging on for several seasons too many, would be followed by Ever Decreasing Encirclements, Last of the Summer Offensive and finally, Führer Tot.

best response ever.

well done, honestly well done.

Very well done. I don't get the Fuhrer Tot one though. :?

They could also have done All In the Aryan Family, starring Nazi Bunker.

beakboo said:

That would be Fäther Ted. (And Tot is German for dead.)

Naughty-Felid said:
...well done, honestly well done.

Thanks. :)

(Five pounds in Argos vouchers and that mint copy of Razzle are in the post.)

beakboo said:
Father Ted? Don't know for sure, you'd have to ask Spook, but since he has one of that show's characters as his avatar, that'd be my guess...

EDIT: SNAP!

My friend's daughter has just returned from a gap year trip to Venezuela, where she met a couple of young women who live in the same streets as Ringo Starr and one of the TV chefs, whose name I've forgotten.

Me and Ringo, we're like that, we are. ;)

Spookdaddy said:
beakboo said:

That would be Fäther Ted. (And Tot is German for dead.)

Father Ted? NOT a racist. ;) :lol:

Back