• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

hmmmm. My sister and I were reminiscing last night and it turns out she got her arse pinched by Steve Tyler. One of those six degree things in a nutshell: As guy she was dating was the manager for the Babys, and she went on tour, and Steve Tyler came to a party after one of the shows.

*Yawn*

Yeah it was about that exciting to me, too. Even more boring was the realization that I don't even have that close of association with any celebrities.

No, you're so wrong, Angel!
The whole point about the Six Degrees thing is that the links between people can be exactly so tenuous and pathetic. That's what makes it funny.

Thus, Steve Tyler pinched the backside of the sister of someone to whom I occasionally speak on the 'net.

So, me and that Steve Tyler, we're like THAT, we are.

(For the benefit of non-Brits present: escargot holds up one hand with the first and second fingers loosely crossed to imply closeness.)

A friend of my father's was a pop-promoter and manager based in London in the late 60s/early 70s. He had just done a deal with a very promising young pop group, when he was hustled into a car by three Americans and driven to a derelict house in Swiss Cottage. There they told him in no uncertain terms that he would not be managing the group. Because "Frank wants them".

He later discovered the men represented Frank Sinatra.

Haha, a former red-headed colleague of mine turned down the chance to join Jim Davidson on his boat.

My grandmother's sister was Maureen O'sullivan, who played Jane opposite Johnny Weismuller in the Tarzan films. Maureen's daughter is Mia Farrow, so I can claim "closeness" to her former husbands Woody Allen, Frank Sinatra and Andre Previn too. My brother would like to claim closeness to Ava Gardner, Frank's former wife!

My grandfather was a well reknowned yachtsman in my area, although you wouldn't recognise his name. He was a freemason, a firecracker and everyone looked up to him. Out of interest, he laughingly dismissed the sailor who tried to recruit him for Simon Le Bon's "Drum" sailing venture. And my best friends classmate served Mr Le Bon at a hotel just before the ill-fated Drum farce.

Many years ago Billy Idol signed my chest.
I met Michael Caine outside Harrods once and he was very charming
Ruth Maddock waved to me!
My father was in the same marquee when a minor member of the royal family let off a firework amidst a group of naval top brass. Dad claimed that anyone one else would have been court martialled for such stupidity.

My Dad's cousin ran Doris Day's UK fan club in the 1950's.

My deceased uncle once told me that we had a Spanish painter as a descendant. For years I thought he meant painter & decorator and didn't investigate further. Serves my Philistine self right.

Gordon Kaye went to my school and did the 'A level' presentations for my year
and yes he did say...'I Shall say zis only once...'

I used to work with a guy who's grandad invented the toffee crisp

I met the Dalai Lama

my wifes grandad played Darwin in 'Young Einstein, and was the Australian 'JR Hartley' for the ad there, or some such thing.

I know who all of you are, and where you live.

A few years ago, my wife found out that she was related to Peter Snow - and, of course, his brother, Jon.

We were in an opticians in Barnes, London, prior to the 1997 election and Peter came in to have his eyes tested and arrange for a new set of rimless glasses (which, I was pleased to see he wore during the 1997 election coverage). He was a lovely chap - very polite and socially awkward (as you would expect).

Anyway, my wife (who I had only been going out with for 4 months then) mentioned this to her mother - who replied with "oh yes, he's your auntie Eileen's second cousin" (or some tenuos relationship).

Armed with such knowledge - I knew that she had to be my wife. And so it was to be. I am now related to Peter Snow (or Uncle Pete as I call him when he is on TV). We did consider inviting him to the wedding - but felt that a wedding invitation addressed "c/o BBC" would seem a little odd.

Within

bloody hell...

right, my links to the above...

I climbed with Chris Bonnington in the Lakes (shnor)

I met Graham Gooch when he was speaking at a corporate bash (rynner)

a mate of mine sold dope to Steve Peregrin Took out of T Rex when he lived in Hampstead (Blusewidow)

Angie Bowie crashed at ours one night (cursed)

my mate opened Linnekers Bars in Spain with the Great Man (carol)

my mate was going to marry Izzard but she chucked him in NY (AV)

knew Glen Matlock and the rest of the Pistols cos Sid lived above me in Maida Vale (papa lazlou)

and Elvis Costellos Welsh roadcrew were all mates of mine cos we all worked at the Roundhouse when they werent on tour. (Beaks)

I knew / know Judy Neville very well and have met her Mum (Stu)

a mate of mine opened a clothes shop near Camden Market called Crippin cos the man was his great uncle (boo)

have met most Royalty mentioned except Phil the Greek and his missus, plus Princess Alexandra.

and I havent even started my list....

we're all related God help us :)

Hahahahahahahahahaha

One biiiiiiiiiiiiig happy Fortean family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Impassioned Plea

Does anyone have a link to Russell Crowe? He's sort of my favourite celeb. :kiss:

The only link I have is that my cousin lives in the same country as him!

Re: Impassioned Plea

nicolachi said:
Does anyone have a link to Russell Crowe? He's sort of my favourite celeb. :kiss:

When I was a mere tot of two years old and travelling along in the back of my parents' car, we were almost run off the road by some prat in a big Mercedes. My Dad got out of the car to have words with the driver and it was Oliver Reed. And yes... Oliver had been drinking.

And he was in Gladiator with your blessed Crowe fellow.

HEY!
In the early 70's, Oliver Reed came into a pub about 400 yards from were my parents lived. He'd been filming Tommy (i think) nearby and had heard of the pub's reputation as a spit n sawdust place.
After buying drinks for everyone, including my dad, Ollie got totally plastered and had a huge scrap with some unfortunate soul.
I totally forgot until you reminded me. In fact, a website about the nearby church - mentioned in the Domesday book - mentions the Ollie incident too!

Lemme see...

Mates Keith and Mark were in The Scottish Sex Pistols, and thus met real Sex Pistol John Lydon (in an encounter alluded to elsewhere on this MB). (Keith went on to a one-off role in The Bill and then a part (as some sort of supernatural entity) on a New Year Special of the Scottish soap High Road so possibly counts as some sort of celebrity.)

The original bass player, Marco, of the band I once roadied for was some sort of relation to Victor Mature (son of a second-cousin or something). Said bass player went on to briefly play guitar with The Kevin McDermott Orchestra.

While roadying, I met Buster Bloodvessel (cool guy. Disgusting in a calculating way, but cool.), Kirk Brandon (tosser), Marty Pellow (smackhead tosser), Eugene Reynolds (of the Rezillos/Revillos, but never really got a handle on him) and I met The James Taylor Quartet when they crashed on the floor at a mate's house after playing a gig locally not long after they stopped being The Prisoners.

Was in a Glasgow bookshop once when Melvin Bragg came wandering through and appeared to do a really gob-smacked double-take in my direction. (Possibly something to do with the quiff, sideburns, ducktails, bike jacket and winkle-pickers I affected at the time. And probably still would had my forehead not annexed the top of my skull...)

And those are the only ones that would mean anything to anyone here probably, unless anyone's into small-time cult bands...

Zygon said:
Lemme see...
And those are the only ones that would mean anything to anyone here probably, unless anyone's into small-time cult bands...
Yeah, go on, you never know.

beakboo said:
Yeah, go on, you never know.

Oh all right then. P Paul Fenech of The Meteors (who wanted me to mail him a T-shirt design based on a poster I designed for a gig The Meteors played in my hometown, but personal life went in crapper the next day and next thing I knew it was 6 months later and I didn't see any point in mailing it any more.), and Orbit of The Saturn V feat. Orbit. (San Francisco Frat Rock combo: excellent stuff.) And of course, The Kaisers (I was in school with the ld. gtrist -follow the www link to my Kaisers' website).

Oh yeah, and then there's Davie Ritchie, a local-born harmonica player who has done a fair amount of session work in between fronting his own Blues bands, and who once appeared on Wogan playing with Starship when 'We Built This City' was in the charts. But we try not to cast that one up to him at every opportunity.

My mum has had tea with both Prince Charles and the Joke (sorry Duke) of Edinburgh.

I was once followed (well it seemed like it) from Stonehenge to Salisbury cathedral by that god awful ventriloquist with the green duck (answers on a postcard . . )
Lemmy p*ssed down my led in a pub toilet in London and I once asked Rolf Harris why exactly he wanted his kangaroo tying down (he didn’t answer)
Oh and I’ve trod on Terry Pratchett’s foot at a book signing in Waterstones

A friend of mine who works for a mini bus hire company once drove the entire Leeds United squad from night club to night club one evening

One of my brothers in law has the best celebrity connection (IMO) I’ve ever heard of. On a drunken night out with some friends he was copiously sick over a Rolls Royce. Staggering back into the bar he asked who’s it was. Turned out to belong to Keith Moon who later that evening drove it into a swimming pool (in the famous Rolls-in-the-pool incident) in order to clean the vomit off. (mind you I only have my brother-in-laws word for this).

I always thought the old Keith Moon story about him driving a Roller into a swimming pool was an urban legend.
Didn't he die by drinking whilst taking a drug proscribed for alcoholics?

Mind you, I wasn't there!

StoneMunky said:
Oh and I’ve trod on Terry Pratchett’s foot at a book signing in Waterstones
Well done that man! Pity you didn't break his word processor while you were at it though. ;)

I've got the creme de la creme. A guy I work with is mates with.... ........Chesney Hawkes!!!

Ha, cower before me, mere mortals!!

I am the one and only
Nobody I'd rather be...

........we are not worthy.....we are not worthy..........

WOW Lemmy p*ssed on your leg, did you keep the trousers unwashed? or did you squeeze as much out and sell all those class 1 drugs on?

Bono looked at my security pass once and I've had my picture taken by Gaz Top.
Oh and gimp with a green duck, Mr Keith Harris.

This probably wont mean anything to anyone who's not Scottish, but last Saturday, i stood behind Glen Michael (of "Cartoon Cavalcade" fame) in the queue in Safeways in Kilmarnock.

No sign of Paladin or Rusty though!

BTW, he was wearing the same brown blazer that i remembered him always wearing. He didn't seem to remember me from my many appearances on his birthday slots, and my girlfriend was mightily unimpressed at my excitement at meeting the great man himself! (different generation i suppose)

Oh, and Colin Paterson, presenter of BBCs "Liquid News" was a very good friend at school. Does he remember KIKI!?:rolleyes:

Last night someone reminded me that a young, very blonde and
female relative of mine had been on two dates with that John Leslie.

[Comment about her not putting up much of a fight deleted on
grounds of taste and decency. And in case she or her guide-dog ever
read the Message Board.]

:eek:

I had dinner with Bruce Forsyth and Frank Muir at a Freshers event at Uni many moons ago.
My parents met Frankie Vaughn, Englebert Humperdinck, and Tom Jones. They were also great friends with the aunt and uncle of Mike Neville, so got to meet him. (Mike Neville is a legend on local North East TV.)
I've literally rubbed shoulders with Manfred Mann and Johnny Briggs (Mike Baldwin in Corrie) simply by being in the same place at the same time - and yes they are that small.
More recently I met Gary Speed (Newcastle United player) at a schoolboy football presentation.
And my future bro-in-law stood next to Alan Shearer in a local night spot.

My future brother in law used to hang around with the Who, or a couple of them, in the 60's before they were huge. I may have posted that before on this thread. How cringemakingly embarrassing is that? I don't even like the Who. Detest them in fact. :hmph:

My sister's friend is on the new Channel 4 breakfast show on Wednesday and Thursday mornings .

One of my friends parents is good friends with Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Jazz, nice...very nice.

ok not much from me

My dad lived in the same town as David Bowie

My gran and her sister went out with almost anyone male and famous that came into their area when they were younger

Laton met the honey monster when he was younger and screamed his head off.

An ex aquaintance of mine almost shoved James Marsters (spike) in a lake when she fell and he caught her.

My mother met loads of bands in the 80's during her punk years. she had this habit of asking them for a drink.

My mother spent a night getting completely pissed with Wreckless Eric, cos she said "buy me a drink"and ended up with "i didn't touch her, honest" written across her t-shirt.

A girl i met through my brothers friend is apparently related to some people who helped Mary Queen of Scots escape.

A female vet from Vets in Practice walked around a cat show i was at and probably saw my cat.

my friends dad went to school with some of the members of The Who i think. and some other bands he met.

Thats all i can think of right now, maybe more later.

:D

Back