• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Six Degrees Of Separation'

escargot said:
Edit- BOTH Chuckle Brothers?
Is that more or less embarrassing than drunkenly snogging R*y W**d?

Definitely MORE. A mate's daughter worked with the Chuckle Brothers on their show when she first started at the Beeb, and apparently told her father that they're even dimmer in real life than they are on their show... If you can imagine that, and personally I can't.

(And at least R*y W**d (Hallowed Be His Name) has talent.)

beakboo said:
I now have amusing connections with Rick Astley.
"Do you remember Rick Astley?", "Yes, he was a right cnut!"
"Actually I am Rick Astley".
:D
My best mate (and future BinL) is a cousin of Rick 'the prick' Ghastly.

I once spilt Ellery Hanley's (ex Rugby League player) pint, and got an apology off him for getting in my way (nice guy, & I wasn't going to argue).

I live a few doors away from Willie Swann (another ex Rugby player), who can throw a wild party when he wants that last a full weekend.

I once met Morrissey in a Camden record shop, Tim Booth from James with one of his band members at Heathrow airport, Damon Albarn with his then girlfriend, Elastica singer Justine Fleischmann reading the NME on the London Underground, got Miki from Lush autograph coming off the tube at Mile End going to see Blur in concert, saw Bobby Gillespie from Primal Scream at a gig in Brighton, and walking around Reading Festival, stood next to Jarvis Cocker at the bar at an indie club in East London, and got Babes In Toyland to autograph my CD. All of this happened from '91 to '95, and I'm not even from England!
My mum has had her photo taken with Renato from Renee & Renato fame. (if Renato is the bloke)
One last encounter, I also met Brooke Satchwell from Neighbours in Sydney in 2000, and she was lovely!

schnor said:
The Kevin Bacon game is here :)

I can only get a sixer, but apparently you can get a niner :eek:

I met Sean Bean last November and I get a 2 for that. I walked past Vic Reeves in Bluewater and I got a 3 for that. And another 3 for Julian Cope, 80s singer with Teardrop Explodes. Mark Curry, Blue Peter geezer (3), William Rushton (2) and Zandra Rhodes (infinitive)

The other half has met Linford Christie (3), Posh Spice (2), Mike Reid (2), Jim Davidson (3) and Les Dennis (3).

E-mail shrinks the world
The theory that almost everyone on Earth is connected to anyone else via a small number of acquaintances seems to hold true for e-mail too.
An experiment has found that messages only have to be forwarded between five and seven times to reach almost any other e-mail user.

The idea was tested by asking participants to forward an e-mail to friends, relations or colleagues they thought were closer to a randomly chosen target e-mail user.

The experiment updates a pioneering test of the small world idea carried out in the late 1960s.

Testing times

In that investigation, social psychologist Stanley Milgram asked randomly selected people in America's mid-West to help get letters to a stockbroker friend in Boston on the east coast.

The letters could not be posted. Instead those taking part were asked to hand them to people they knew well who might have social ties that would might take the message closer to the target.

The results of the experiment established the idea that almost everyone is only six friends or acquaintances distant from anyone else.

Some websites such as Friendster use such chains of acquaintances to help people meet and make new friends.

Although Prof Milgram's work established the small world idea, it has only been tested a few times since, although signs of similar intimate, interconnectedness have been found in many physical systems.

But the small world idea has gained support from the work of a research team headed by Peter Dodds and colleagues from the Institute for Social and Economic Research and Policy at the University of Columbia in New York.

In their experiment the scientists recruited 61,168 individuals and asked them to try to relay messages to one of 18 target people in 13 countries.

As in Prof Milgram's experiment the message could not be sent direct. Instead participants were asked to forward it to a friend they thought was closer.

The researchers tracked 24,163 distinct message chains, only 384 of which managed to get the message to the target.

The experiment revealed that messages had to be forwarded between five and seven times to get from a starting point to a target, which confirms Prof Milgram's result that people are separated by only a small number of steps.

The researchers said that the results did not seem to rely on people who had so many acquaintances that they act as "hubs" for messages.

"We conclude that social search appears to be largely egalitarian," wrote the researchers, "not one whose success depends on a small minority of exceptional individuals."

The researchers also point out that the enthusiasm of participants and their perceptions play a vital part in explaining the results.

"Network structure alone is not everything," they conclude.

The results of the experiment were published in the journal Science.

SAMPLE MESSAGE CHAIN

1) Bruce - Eastbourne, UK sends message to Uncle
2) David - Kampala, Uganda sends it to net friend
3) Karina - Moscow, Russia sends it to school friend
4) Zinerva - Novosibirsk, Russia who studies with
5) Olga - Novosibirsk, Russia who is the target

Sorry, i should be interested in and replying to rynners post but I'm appalled by somebody sleeping with the Chuckle brothers. Was it at separate times or was it part of some ghastly threesome??? my brain can't cope with this.

Getting back on track.......Barry AND Paul........Jesus.......I participated in a internet experiment like the one in Rynners post last year and it fell at the first hurdle. I had to link up with a school teacher in australia, still waiting to hear from her..........I wonder if they did the Wilson, Kepple and Betty sand dance as part of the courtship ritual?....I've got to go and lie down........

My old flatmate's dad used to play golf with Eddie Large. Don't think he ever shagged him though.

Actually, he used to say that Eddie was a very decent, level- headed bloke, unlike Jim Davidson who was a member of the same club, and a 5-star, ocean going wanker.

Come to think of it, Alice Cooper played the course as a guest whilst on tour a few years back, but no-one recognised him (except his partner) - he signed the guestbook as V Furnier, and apparently had quite an impressive swing (stop laughing at the back there :no-no: ).

I have played cricket with the "man from Del Monte" and the bloke who played Jossie in Jossies giants - he dropped a catch off my bowling !!! (he's not a geordie, he's from Dagenham, sorry daaag n am).
Also play cricket with an ex Swindon and er…Torquay footballer. A relative plays polo, has met the royals loads of times and is allegedly going out with one of the queens nieces. I've shaken hands with Gloucestershire Cricket players, Mike Smith, Tony Wright and Ian Butler.
Got (Big Breaks perm headed trick shot master) John Virgo's autograph and he looked most surprised when I asked for my pen back !! Saw bowls legend Tony Allcock shopping in Tesco's.
I met ex Dr Who Colin Baker in Bristol (have to agree that Sophie Aldred is top tottie), played football with an ex Bristol Rovers hard man, saw Michalea Strachan shopping in Clifton and my wife used to park her car down Cromwell Street (where Fred West lived) because she was too tight too pay for parking.

Some people might think i'm a bit sad, well, i gotta agree !! i'll get me coat....
:blah:

nimrods son said:
...played football with an ex Bristol Rovers hard man...
Contradiction of terms, mate ;) - when did a Rovers employee ever play football?

Sidebar: Bristol Rovers old ground, Eastville, was sold to Ikea. Chipboard tat in blue and white, with wobbly legs that collapse as soon as any weight is placed on them, and all sold at rip-off prices to a gullible public. And then came Ikea.

Chutzpah from a City supporter I know :D..

Have Bristle City gone full time this season ?? its mickey mouse football anyway !!!

Having been dragged along to the aformentioned Ikea many times by my better half, i agree about it being full of gullible people, most of them come over from wales....:blah:

I work near bristle, (they do talk funny....... ) and one of my colleagues ex boss was on Scrapyard Challenge....ex army, big moustache...and that was just his wife..
:D

6 degrees of Stanley Milgram

Stanley Milgram's work on the small world phenomenon (which started in 1967) is in the news again due to the publication of an article in Science magazine.

This six degrees of separation stuff really works. Here is an example using me as a middle link (it's more fun in the middle):

1. U.S. PRESIDENT BUSH (FAMOUS THIEF), recently met with
2. Prime Minister and Owner of Italy, BERLUSCONI (FAMOUS ROMAN EMPEROR), who once shared a train compartment with
3. MICHEL BUTOR (RENAISSANCE MAN), who once was professor to
4. LITTLEBLACKDUCK whose
5. GRANDMOTHER would take hot meals to the
6. VILLAGE IDIOT in a small village in Eastern Canada.

Some Fortean Questions

Discuss among yourselves:

1. Are there any Fortean subjects which might be illuminated by the small world phenonmeon, a.k.a, six degrees of separation?

I mean besides synchronicity (meaningful coincidences).

By the way: one of the first people to propose this idea of six degrees of separtion was Frigyes Karinthy (the inventor, Marconi, who did a calculation to find out how many telephone exchanges are needed to connect everybody in the world and came up with a number just shy of six),

Frigyes!

I ought to send an email to Bill Griffith and Zippy the Pinhead with that name.

Frigyes Karinthy! Frigyes Karinthy! Firgyes Karinthy!

2. Are we having fun yet?

I haven't read this whole thread because I don't have eight hours, so apologies if this point has already been raised.

The six degrees of separation thing is meant to apply to everyone, not just celebrities - and if you start thinking how you might know someone else, for example some random Rwandan, it falls apart a bit doesn't it?

It's Not Who You Know

taras said:
The six degrees of separation thing is meant to apply to everyone, not just celebrities - and if you start thinking how you might know someone else, for example some random Rwandan, it falls apart a bit doesn't it?

Here is the link to today's article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3132023.stm

The amazing thing about this six degrees of separation business is that you can eliminate the celebrities and it will still work because of the massive number of connections between people.

My grandmother lived in a small village (less than 500) and probably knew nearly everybody. If she didn't nearly everybdoy she knew did. The same is true of all the villages in which all of the people she knew lived, and also of all the villages of all the people they knew.

If each person in a village knows at least one person in all of the neighbouring villages, well, you can establish connections to everybody, everywhere. In fact, if only one person in each village knows at least one person in all of the neighbouring villages, it still works. The web grows and grows and grows.

Take the following calculation: I know 1,000 people, who each know 1,000 people (a million links, most of which are redundant). But each of the 1,000 people knows at least one person I don't know and who know at least 500 people that neither I nor my 1,000 people do not know: 500,000 people, in other words.

Try that for another four steps!

I see what you're getting at Duck, but London, for instance, isn't a village. :confused:

London needn't be a village for it to work.

Each neighbourhood in a city is like a village. Each city 'village' has connections far outside itself- people are in contact with friends and relatives across the country and overseas. They are also members of clubs and societies with links all over the place.

I'm off to Hungary, Romania, Austria, Russia, Mongolia and China next year and will meet lots of new people- most of them probably Aussie backpackers! So everyone on here will have a link to them too.

Taras- it's worth reading the thread. It stays mainly on-thread, does not feature bickering and is often quite hilarious. When it started I laughed myself silly at it for days.

Also, the point about a random Rwandan is that the link can be there if you look hard enough.
For example- I worked on a Head/Neck Unit from where staff use their annual holidays to do voluntary eye surgery in the Third World. They go to Africa, India, China, S. America- you name it- and as many of the volunteers are good mates of mine, I have a link to every one of them. And now, so do you.

So an elderly lady in India can have her cataracts done by a surgeon whom I assisted in the clinic in England. When her relatives from far-distant villages assemble to admire her newfound eyesight, I am only a couple of degrees removed from any of them.

Oh yeah, and an elderly lady whom I sometimes look after used to date Norman Wisdom in her youth..................;)

I have met Will Hay's grandson in a friend's parents nursing home

I have served Vic Reeves on a fairground stall and Gary Bushell(somebody had to)

I snubbed Quentin Tarantino in Nottingham(he thought I wanted an autograph and i just sniggered at the idiot)

I flew on the same plane as Pat Boone to L.A.

Chris Eubanks swaggered into a coffee shop i was sitting outside in Brighton and said hi

My sister used to work for an Austrian guy who was friends with Placido Domingo and Yasser Arrafat, and he dated sade

My sister visited Geofrey Archers flat (but he wasn't there at the time thank f***)

My father met Audrey Hepburn at a town fete when he was a teenager

Whooaaaa

I recently met a lady whose Jack Russell dog's brother was the model for the Beswick Jack Russell.

How famous is THAT!!! :nonplus:

escargot said:
I recently met a lady whose Jack Russell dog's brother was the model for the Beswick Jack Russell.
Mods! Close the thread, we have a winner! :D

this morning in sainsburys i found out someone i know..is Roger Taylors House/grounds keeper.

I was just trying some random people with myself to see if it works and it does...

I can get to Princess Di by going:
1. Evilsprout has met guitarist Richard Hawley who was in Pulp with...
2. Jarvis Cocker, who mooned...
3. Michael Jackson, who was interviewed by...
4. Martin Bashir, who also interviewed...
5. Princess Di!

Woohoo. Next person has to do Hitler! ;)

1.As a child, I was taken (as part of a school group) on a tour of Parliament House by our local member, (whose name escapes me, unfortunately) who was a member of the cabinet with PM;
2. Malcolm Fraser, who had a number of disagreements with;
3. Robert Menzies who was PM during much of WWII, and would have undoubtedly had meetings with;
4. Winston Churchill who succeeded;
5. Neville Chamberlain who signed the Munich Agreement with;
6. Adolph Hitler.

Will that do?

Actually, after reading this week's New Scientist where analysts have been working on how to model the connectedness of the World Wide Web, it got me thinking about Six Degrees of Websites about Kevin Bacon. How many links does it take to connect any random website to a website about Kevin Bacon?

I've been thinking about my own Hitler challenge...

1. I know a guy who once interviewed Super Furry Animals, a band who...
2. ...once featured Sir Paul McCarney playing celery (no really!) on their album 'Rings Around The World'...
3...McCartney was knight by the Queen who was the great niece (?) of Edward XIII who...
4...had contraversial meetings with Hitler.

It's scary really.

Forgot about the regal connection. Going that way:
1. I met the previous Governor General (Peter Hollingworth) when he was still Archbishop of Brisbane. He was the representative of:
2. Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland who was the Niece (I think you'll find) of;
3. Edward XIII, and the daughter of
3 a. George V, whose Prime Minister;
3 b. Neville Chamberlain;
4. Each met with Adolph Hitler.

OK, the Edward XIIth path is more direct. I think we can assume that he would have met Liz when she was a little girl. (I'm pretty sure it was Her Maj's father who suddenly found himself King after his brother ran off with that American woman. If, indeed, she was a woman.)

Me and my bro were playing this last night and it was scary, and strangely we found it easier to get to world leaders than some minor celebs!

For example me and JFK...

1. Again, I've met Richard Hawley, who did session guitar work for...
2. Nancy Sinatra, who was daughter of...
3. Ol' Blue Eyes, who was a big mate of...
4. JFK!!!!!

Me to JFK in 4 moves, now that is scary.

The key to the whole thing is the concept of a "Wide Traveller". While most people keep to a (relatively) small circle of acquaintances, a small number have an exceptionally wide range of acquaintance.

Richard Hawley would be a Wide Traveller, who happens to intersect your sphere. The former Governor General is a Wide Traveller who intersects mine. (Actually there are a number in my sphere. That or I'm a wide traveller who intersects other people's spheres, which is odd since I don't know that many people.)

sidecar_jon said:
this morning in sainsburys i found out someone i know..is Roger Taylors House/grounds keeper.

Cool! Queen's Roger Taylor or
Duran Duran Roger Taylor?

I think the drummer from Queen should have been
fronting his own band years ago! Great voice!

TVgeek

TVgeek said:
Cool! Queen's Roger Taylor or
Duran Duran Roger Taylor?
I expect Jon meant the Queen one, as he does live down here.

Just to confuse things even more, there was once a well-known Brit tennis player called Roger Taylor!

Back