• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Sleep Deprivation Survey (Poll)

On average, how many hours of sleep do you get per night?

• less than 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4-6

• 6-8

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • more than 8

• Total voters

TheOriginalCujo

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ok, what are your experiences of sleep and sleep deprivation.

What's the longest anyone here has slept for? What's the longest you've gone without sleep for? What symptoms of sleep deprivation have you experienced?

Have any of you experienced sleep paralysis, reccurring dreams, sleep walking or other weird sleep experiences?

Cujo

Longest awake was about 40 hours, slept for 16 afterwards.
Experianced mild halucinations once, involving large shadowy monsters jumping over hedges after a long working, travelling thing.
Had sleep paralysis once, nothing interesting.
Had a recurring nightmare as a child that was started by a blue plastic cartoon mouse that was a souvenir from abroad. I 'trained' myself to wake up when I recognised the dream, and later to stay in the dream but not go up the stairs to where the monster mice lived.
And I snore.

The longest that I've ever had to stay awake 60 hours, followed by 18 hours of very interupted sleep. I didn't notice any symptoms, but when I did finally sleep, I experienced a sort of six part sequential dream. I'd sleep for 2.5 to 3 hours, wake up, use the loo, then go back to sleep. Every time I returned to bed, I would start dreaming at the exact same point where the previous dream had left off. I don't remember what the dream was about, but, at the time, it was the most detailed and vivid dream that I've ever had.

The longest I've managed is about 30 hours (on a long haul flight with many changes). I literally felt too tired to sleep for several hours afterwards, I felt as if I was running on autopilot.

Carole

i get either 4 or less than 4 hours sleep a night and it wasnt long ago i (last weekend of f1 this year) i was awake from 8am fri till 2 am monday morning a total of 66 hrs

cas

casio said:
i get either 4 or less than 4 hours sleep a night and it wasnt long ago i (last weekend of f1 this year) i was awake from 8am fri till 2 am monday morning a total of 66 hrs

cas

At this level of constant sleep deprivation you could be risking serious damage to your health.

Cujo

im not always awake that long but i do only get 4 hrs sleep a night as i spend a good chunk of the night either on here or in the chat lol

well, i've once managed to stay up 72 hours without sleep - then i started hallucinating, thinking that there was an earthquake, and also threw yoghurts out on the road from the 3rd floor - can't quite remember what the reason was...

:rolleyes:

When working regular nights I'd often go 40 hours without sleep, easy to do if you get up at 7am and go on duty at 10pm, then have next day off and go to bed at 11pm. I'd be OK as long as I kept going (I had a family to help care for) but soon learned not to drive in this state as my reflexes were sluggish.
Sleep afterwards would be very deep but no longer than normal, say 7-8 hours.
I wouldn't do that job again for a gold clock: it was very lucrative but messed up my marriage no end.

I must be one of only a few people (maybe the only one) that gets at least 10 hours sleep generally. This is probably due to having M.E. Though every so often I will go to bed normal but not get to sleep untill around 5am giving me 5-6 hours sleep if that.

luce

I suffer from sleep problems now (disturbed sleep at night, fall asleep during the day, etc) but medical tests haven't come up with anything useful.

It's probably due to my history. As a professional yacht skipper, I rarely got a night's sleep whilst at sea. Even if nothing serious happened, the watch would often call me when unsure of anything (as I'd instructed them).

Later (in the 80s) I was a Coastguard officer, and there was a rather strange watch system of 4 eight hour watches spread over 3 days. This was very stressful, and later research into biorhythms, etc, proved that it was almost the worst system possible. (Nowadays the watch systems are generally based on 12 hour watches, and are much better.)

I once sailed the North sea to Holland single-handed, and as winds were light the voyage took well over 24 hours, which I had to do without sleep (apart from brief catnaps); the North Sea is a busy place!

But the joy of finally settling into sleep after such a period! Part of the trouble with the modern world is that people rarely get tired enough to sleep properly, and have to resort to drink or drugs.

rynner said:
Part of the trouble with the modern world is that people rarely get tired enough to sleep properly, and have to resort to drink or drugs.

It's true - people don't work so hard physically these days (and working out in the gym doesn't count). Previous generations used to think nothing of walking several miles to and from work or school. And housework without all the modern conveniences was just carried out as a matter of course.

Carole

I had problems sleeping for the first time ever last year when I was divorcing. I used to wake at 2:30-3:30 and worry, worry worry until 6 or 7, then doze off for half an hour before having to get up. It all got better when circumstances changed so that I never have to see Mr Ex's ugly chops again. Didn't matter how hard I worked: worry kept me awake.

I have a son in the military who's likely to be off fighting soon. More sleepless nights for me.

Weekdays: 1:30am-3:30am sleep, 7:15am rise
Weekends(friday, saturday): about 9 hours/night

My biggest waking period? Leeds festival 99... Get up about 8:30am saturday, watch bands, stay up, watch bands, stay up, watch bands, go to sleep about midnight on the monday which is about... 64 hours... I used to often go nights without sleep (and go clubbing the next!) as a teenager, but I at least need an hour or too these days.

It's the industry I'm in though - computers... It <i>encourages</i> these kinda hours - so-called "death schedules" where all the staff in a firm keep going till the jobs done. That's why I'm going into video/photography and events! :p

I do feel pretty tired a lot of the time. I felt happiest when I was shopfitting in Currys'... I'd get up at 7:00am every morning, but I'd be in bed every night about 12:00am

Sleep deprivation a modern epidemic? Getting that way...

True agents of sleep deprivation

True agents of sleep deprivation - children aged from 0 to 1 month - no regular feeding patterns, long periods at the nipple, followed by half an hours sleep (not enough for REM sleep and therefore truly torture, followed by a short feed, a nappy change a winding and another long feed and half an hours sleep.

I am truly knackered after a fortnight of this - I expect the halucinations to start soon.

:eek:

Lordshiva-
It does get better! But your days of untroubled sleep are over forever, I'm afraid.

I once went for three days and nights without any sleep when I was at college, and by the end of it I was hallucinating a ferocious - looking green face on the bedroom door (probably too many Cure albums), along with strange wooshing noises and muffled voices calling my name. No naughty substances were involved.

Also at college, I once made the mistake of carrying on as normal after a long flight back from the USA, and went clubbing. I was in a nightclub in Cardiff when the jetlag and 48 hours without sleep caught up with me, and I fell over.

Because my current job involves working split shifts (7am - midday and 6 - 11pm), I find I'm getting by on less sleep than I've been used to. At first, I found I was feeling totally knackered if I didn't sleep during the afternoon, but now I'm used to it.

The longest I've been awake for is probably about 4 days with maybe an hour or two sleep in the middle, at the end of it I collapsed onto my bed and slept for 12 hours which is probably the longest i've slept for ever.
I usually have between 3 - 7 hours of sleep a night, it depends. When I actually sleep it is usually a light sleep that I can be woken from if something like a piece of paper drops on the floor or something like that, I have sensitive hearing which makes it worse. When I actually have a deep sleep, i have horrible dreams where everything seems so real, I feel pain, taste, smell, everything I would do if I was awake and sometimes I wake up with unexplainable cuts on my body which i dreamed of getting whilst i was sleeping.
I used to have a reoccuring dream when I was 5 or 6 about being flying away to a crystal or ice palace in the clouds where I sat on a throne with my King who i'd never seen before whilst awake(The king is a man from a band in britain that wasn't around when I was 5, unexplainable to me) In my dream I was always older about 25 or thereabouts and I remember the dream used to reoccur each night and sometimes tart off from where I'd left off the night before, I remember where the dream ended because I was in an ice coffin but I wasn't dead and I could breathe fine, since then i've not had this dream.
I used to have bad dreams a lot too and I made this real weird sound when I woke up from these dreams, it was like a kind of strangled scream that I can't copy.
I remember one night terror i had when i was in the front of my house and I began to fly upwards towards the sky, there was a lightbulb in the sky and suddenly day became night, it was the scariest thing to me when I was sleeping but whilst awake I can never think why I was scared.
I fly a lot in my dreams and I seem to know what everything in my village looks like from birdseye view just from these dreams, i saw a copy of a photo of our village from a plane and it looks exactly like the dreams I had before i'd even seen the photo.

I think the longest I've even gone without sleep is 3 and a half days, and tbh I found the last few hours very hard indeed. I was sorta hallucinating, but felt like i was drunk, felt very weak and just couldn't concentrate at all.

I couldn't even sleep properly for a few days afterwards either :(

I always try to have at least 7/8 hrs sleep a night, less at weekends, but I find waking up early sunday morning quite refreshing :)

I have to be up every sodding morning at 6-7 am, weekends included, and on the rare days I could lie in, I find it impossible. I have to get up and do my 'jobs' (you dog owners will understand!) and reward myself with a rest on the sofa instead: can't face the bedroom unless I'm dropping with exhaustion, which is most nights.

The longest I've ever kept track is 38.5 hours exactly. But I was on a classwork marathon, so my brain was entirely fried at the end of those hours. The worst sleep dep comes from shifting your schedule while getting 2-4 hours sleep in between.

In college, I went to another school to visit a friend. He was in the radio station talking to one of his friends and I lay down on the linoleum floor and fell asleep. Later I heard someone saying something, but it didn't make any sense to me. After about a minute I realized it was my name and I opened my eyes to see a pair of boots right in front of my face. It was a little bit scary, cause I wasn't sure who I was or where I was, or why there were boots in front of my face. It took about 3 full minutes to sink in that I was lying on the floor of a radio station with people trying to wake me up. No chemicals of any sort, just a sleep dep-induced nap that got interrupted.

Also, when I was in middle school I stayed up all night and marched in a parade in the hot hot sun the next day. I came home and went to sleep and dreamed about walking around the house. I woke up and went downstairs and everything was strikingly similar to my dream, so I asked my 'rents "Was I down here earlier?" to which they replied by laughing hysterically. Never got a straight answer but assume I was walking around in a sluggish daze.

I sleep badly, and often have the radio on all night as a result. But when I do drop off for short periods, stuff on the radio often gets incorporated into my dreams. Once, for example, I was dreaming about my father speaking, but he went on and on and I realised he was giving a political speech...!

The strangest one was a dream I had about a giant earwig! Imagine my surprise when a couple of days later there was a story on the front page of the Independent about an expedition that was setting off for St Helena or somewhere to look for giant earwigs. At first I thought this was a case of a precognitive dream, but now I tend to think the story must have been mentioned on the radio and absorbed into a dream.

My longest awakeness

I once stayed awake for 3 days and 2 nights, that was after the millenium, i kept on drinking for that long. So by the end of it I was reduced to having babies mind by the end of it! I couldn't finish a word, let alone a sentence without losing effort. Then I slept for 18 hours straight had to be woken up to go to hospital because my brother got ill drinking.

Another experience awake was when I stayed up for one and half days, I then had to do rugby training. Because I was so tired mentally, I sprinted 2 miles without being physically tired! Whats weird because I'm not built for running!

Whats the longest you've been to sleep? (Unaided)

Redtom

Woke up at 2pm this afternoon after a 14hr doze. Came back from America yesterday after a 12 hr drinking extravaganza in Boston followed by 40hrs without sleep and culminating in a 4 hr drive up the M6. But for the grace of God I think my sleep could well have been permanent - I don't think Continental have the best pilots in the world.

The worst part of the whole experience was being too tired to reach for the remote whilst Mutant X was on. I was so horrified that tomorrow I'm going to cancel my subscription to Sky. How dare they foister such crap on us and expect us to stand for it...

The longest I have slept must be around 15+ hours. I often have had 12-14 hours sleep, but then again that long isn't abnormal for someone like myself.

luce

The longest I was ever awake was 3-1/2 days. I don't remember having any hallucinations, just that I was very tired and talking became quite difficult towards the end.

My grandparents owned a 100 unit motel that had an attached restaurant. During a severe ice storm, that closed down the town, many of the employees couldn't make it to work and the people staying there couldn't leave. Since I lived at the motel (in the manager's apartment) I had to do what I could.

The first day I was spent as waitress/cook, then as maid, then at the front desk for the night shift. The second day is kind of a blur but was basically the same thing. Day three I don't really remember at all now. All I remember about is that the roads cleared about midnight and the night desk clerk made it in.

When I finally got to go to bed I only slept my normal time. The next day I felt awful though. I never want to do anything like that again either!

On the flip side, the longest I ever slept was 6 days. I had bronchitis and strept throat. I'd get up to get a drink of water, take my medicine, go to the bathroom and back to bed I went.

Sleep Deprivation Survey

I sleep like the dead. No matter what time I go to bed nor what's on my mind I can fall asleep very easily. And once I'm awake I could go back to sleep at any point. That's at will, mind you; I'm not narcoleptic.

However, I do get sleep paralysis upon falling asleep. It's absolutely terrifying. At one point it became so severe that I saw a doc about it - she recommended having a milky drink before bed but it didn't work. As far as I know my sleep pattern is awry, in that I go straight into REM without that 'light sleep' period.

The longest I've been without sleep is three days and two nights because, as my work is home-based, I can work all hours to get something finished. On the third day, I was slaving away over the word-processor and having those 'micro-sleeps' (unconsciousness for fractions of a second at a time) when I suddenly noticed what I'd been typing for the past hour or two. Instead of the text I was meant to be doing I'd typed up lists of colours! The strange thing is, I recall feeling that it was very important that I do this.

I too tend to get between 4 and 6 hours a night these days.
During my uni days (which are not that far away) I used to survive on about three hours a night during the week and a little more - though not much at weekends.

I was hyperactive as a child and am now very sensitive to caffeine - red bull for example does my nut!

I think that the longest that I have not slept at all for must be about 48 hours but that is a guess.

If I start to miss my 4 hours a night I start to shake, feel like the floor is moving and I start to forget words. Talking becomes really hard. At the very extreme my vision goes all misty. I also find that I lose my appetite completely and get cold. The more tired I get the harder it is to sleep.

The longest that I have ever slept must be about ten hours and I was ill at home with bronchitis. If I sleep too much I actually feel sick.
Does anyone else get sick after too much sleep or does anyone know where sleep deprivation can damage your health?

Aagh! Now I'm scared... I sleep for on average 10 - 11 hours a night!

Now I'm thinking about all that time I'm wasting...:mad:

I don't really get sick after too much sleep, but if I sleep for too long (eg 11pm to 11am) I'm really tired for the rest of the day.

These last few days have been tough, thursday, friday and saturday I only had about 3 hrs sleep and have just about recovered :eek:

Back