• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Soviets / Russians Drilling Into Hell (Urban Legend)

Jan Harold Brunvand also mentions it in 'Too good to be true' pages 242-3.

Big old urban legend I'm pleased to say.

Blimey.

It took an age to read - it definately is not written to keep you enthralled is it but it is a bit strange - a bit Blair Witch....

Funny how the photo's of the hieroglyphics just didn't come out and that he forgot to take his video camera at the crucial moment....

Hmmmm......would read it again but just can't be bothered!
What do you think?
I think: Hoax page......

Up The Brewers said:
I have recently read about this on a scare mongering Christian site http://www.av1611.org/hell.html Does anyone know anything else about this?

Thanks

I once read in the Independant on Sunday how one chap had used biblical references to heaven and hell and worked out that heaven is a lot hotter than hell.

Can't remember exactly but the temperature in hell is basically the melting point of brimstone whilst in heaven it is equal to the surface of the sun.

Snopes mentions that this story is used by christians to prove the existance of god so I'd just like to quote the late Douglas Adams.

"Proof denies faith and without faith God is nothing, QED."

Ogopogo said:
While we're on this subject, what do you make of this site?:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/caver/

Nice!
look at the picture on page 6 entitled Floyds tomb. where the guys cheek is (Top side) is very jagged, it looks like its been montaged onto a photo of a pillow. in addition to that he says in the text he always came out the cave backward exept for the last time when he just crapped himself and went head first, my questions are who took the photo from in front of him when his companion "B" would only see his ass. and if this shot was taken during the panic ridden head first exit why does he look as happy as he does?
its complete bollox but i still enjoyed it

I agree, it's almost certainly complete bollox, but he does say a page or so later that 'Joe' took the picture of him coming through the squeeze.

Originally posted by Ogopogo
While we're on this subject, what do you make of this site?:

Great, Great.... Booker Prize winner for next year methinks. Well that wasted a whole afternoon at work. But was quite enjoyable.
The final page is a little bit of a letdown though. There was definitly no 'closure' for me!

I think our 'caver' has read M R James's Ghost Stories, "An Episode of Cathedral History" for the rope being drawn back into the cave, it's a music sheet in James's story. While for the general atmosphere: "The Treasure of Abbot Thomas".

But still, rather good.:D

re;drilling into hell

Greetings All
I think this story would make it as a "B" sci-fi movie but other wise not Probable:hmph:

Russians Record Mysterious Noise Inside the Earth

Howdy folks. Here in America, I listen to the popular radio program Coast to Coast hosted by Art Bell. He covers alot of the same subject matter as your magazine does.
He mentioned awhile ago that the Russians were performing an ongoing experiment where they were drilling into the earth and were trying to drill the deepest anyone had ever gone. Part of this supposed experiment was to record sound when they came to a stop. Why record underground? Beats me. Maybe they were listening in for seismic tremors? Anyway, apparently they ended up recording something, and whatever it was it scared the Russians to the point where they decided to immediately stop the project.
Well, recently on his show he apparently recieved a tape that was sent to him from someone affiliated with the Russian project. He played the recording, and it was probably one of the most bone-chilling, terrifying, and down right sinister things I've ever heard. It was the sound of countless thousands of people screaming, moaning, howling, and growling.
Does anyone here in the message board or with the staff at Fortean Times know what I'm talking about? Have any of you heard of this story? Please notify me. I'm very interested in this incident and would like to know more information.
Thanks,
Matty

Yeah, I heard that. It scared the hell outer me.:eek!!!!: The only problem is that Art Bell didn't provide any actual souces for the sound, like giving a website thats been investigating it or getting any guests on who were involved so it could easily just be someones own recording.

If it's true... then God help us. It sounded like some kind of secret underground Russian base (god knows what they were doing). Although if thats the case then you would expect a few goverment oficials to turn up and 'advise' them to stop their drilling work.

I don't think it was a secret base in that recording. I'm not the most religious of people, but I hope that those Russians filled that hole up. I wouldn't want anything to come crawling out of there.

I've just sent an e-mail to Art Bell pointing out the snopes article. I hope he reads it out or at least mentions it.

Yup, famouse UL. Other variants include amusingly amateurish photo-shop images of demonic faces escaping from the bore-hole. I believe it's a myth with prestige and heritage; there are various forms of it going back centuries (mines and such like in those days).
FT did a very good analysis. ISTR that attention was drawn to the rise of religious fundamentalism in Russia since the fall of the USSR...

AdamRang said:
I've just sent an e-mail to Art Bell pointing out the snopes article. I hope he reads it out or at least mentions it.

Don't count on it. I sent the same link to him at least a couple of years ago, but he keeps on playing the same recording on his show and trying to pass it off as "real". If you listen to his show enough you'll hear plenty of ULs repeated. I listen mostly just for laughs.....

sureshot

Yeah, I've sent several e-mails pointing out various errors in the show but he never mentions them. :mad:

I guess theres only one thing to do... phone up and go on live to tell him. I'll let you do that.

Radio host Art Bell was named as recipient of the less-than-prestigious Snuffed Candle Award. The Council for Media Integrity cited Bell "for encouraging credulity, presenting pseudoscience as genuine, and contributing to the public's lack of understanding of the methods of scientific inquiry." Bell became notorious in 1997 following the Heaven's Gate suicides. On his radio show and his website, Bell promoted the notion of a spacecraft following in the tail of the comet Hale-Bopp, possibly contributing to the cult members' suicide in a delusional attempt to "graduate to the next level" aboard the Comet Hale-Bopp spacecraft. Last year's winner of the Snuffed Candle Award was Dan Akroyd for his pseudo-documentary television series The Psi-Factor.

"Bell's show cultivates conspiracy theories, a distrust of scientists, a misunderstanding of science, and belief in suspect, and often even demonstrably wrong ideas, concerning everything from astronomy to zoology," says Georgia State University Communications Professor William Evans. "The radio station managers who carry Art Bell want to pretend that it is merely entertainment programming rather than news or information programming. Bell is thereby given license to offer biased programming with the purposeful exclusion of any voice that might lend criticism to his distorted worldview."

http://www.csicop.org/articles/19981113-awards/

As for the sounds from hell, to me it sounds like a distorted, slowed-down recording of people on a roller coaster. And as for being mystical and hard to duplicate, it isn't. When I was in my first semester Elements of Sound course in film school, people were pulling off far more impressive stuff than Art's Hell recording.

hmm... perhaps I'll convert to Rense. Anyone know if he's any better?

What's scarier is the Xtians who have picked up on this story claiming it proves the existance of hell as mentioned in the earlier FT link.

If it really IS a hole to hell, we might as well open it up and drop a few nukes in it...that or drop in a few industrial sized air conditioners :)

From the descriptions of the tape, I'm wondering if they didn't just steal sound clips from the wonderfully chilling 'Event Horizon' film.

Stephen King's 'Desperation' plays on the hole to hell theme, plus I remember at least one other short novel that was a pretty poor rip off of the same story-line.

Art Bell the hypocrite

This is an odd peice of information in light of what we already know about Art Bell...

Art Bell does not allow David Icke on his show becuase....

"The idea of an Illuminati is a bunch of crap
and Diana's death was an accident."

I should think Mr Icke has more to offer the show than most of the other guests.

Another literary reference.

The final issue of the long-running Doc Savage Magazine (#181, Up From Earth's Centre. Summer 1949) features the tale of miners in Maine discovering an apparent entrance to Hell deep below ground, and a gentleman called 'Mr. Wail' who claims to have died in the 1780s and to have been in Hell ever since. The 'super-saga' (as Philip Jose Farmer terms them) ends with The Man of Bronze, and 2 of his assistants, Ham Brooks and Monk Mayfair, entering the caverns heavily-armed and sealing the mine entrance behind them, the implication being they were going after the Big Bad himself and were willing to die in the attempt to rid the world of evil once and for all.

Re: The Dr Rawlings episode in the original link

I read in a book about NDEs (sorry can't remember the author. Ian somebodyorother) that people who experience them tend to experience what they're expecting to....in other words their interpretation of either heaven or hell depending on their beliefs of how they've lived their lives and their beliefs of the afterlife.
[Presumably if you have no religious beliefs then NDEs are out of the question!] :confused:

The LEAST he could have done was add a reference to DEROS and TEROS... they always make for good stories!

Is there a thread about the Shaver Mystery?

TVgeek

yes, it does seem Blair Witch-ian.

but it doesn't have the same effect for me becuz i don't accept hell as a physical place, and certainly not one that exists on this plain of existance(in the earth below our feet...puh-lease)...unless you agree that we are in some degree of hell right now ;)

Back