• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Speed of Gravity

Homopolar motors are driven by the Lorentz force, just like every other electrical motor. Connect the positive to negative end of a battery and permanent magnet with a conductive wire. The current flowing through the conductive wire generates a magnetic field. The magnet generates it's own magnetic field. The magnetic fields interact and generate force. This force pushes the wire, which is free to rotate. Very simple, in fact you can see that if the wire isn't free to move, the other parts of the motor will (click on the last picture). http://sci-toys.com/scitoys/scitoys/electro/railgun/railgun.html

Just because someone doesn't understand something, doesn't mean no one understands it.

Inventing mysteries where none exist.
Motor_homopolar_flux_force.png

I thought Leigh Bowery was dead?

Just because someone doesn't understand something, doesn't mean no one understands it.

Inventing mysteries where none exist.
The Faraday paradox (or Faraday's paradox) is an experiment that illustrates Michael Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. Faraday deduced this law in 1831, after inventing the first electromagnetic generator or dynamo, but was never satisfied with his own explanation of the paradox.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_paradox

The homopolar generator can be explained using Faraday's law in integral form or by its equivalent differential form which is not exactly the same as the watered down, popular version of Maxwell's equations given to us by Oliver Heaviside. The correct (maybe) equations of electromagnetism were given to us by Hertz (the same guy who discovered radio waves) but they were not as beautiful as the symmetric version of Heaviside. So Heaviside's equations became the standard even if they cant explain the homopolar generator OR even basic generators.

The original maxwell's equations were atrocities involving quaternions, torsors and strange objects. Heaviside put them in simple terms but some of the physics was lost in the process.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 100AA8rzEb
It's not as cut and dried as the quoted textbook version would suggest.

Ghostisfort said:
What this is in effect saying, is that the electron is neither a wave nor a particle. It's more likely to be a bundle of energy that displays the characteristics of both wave and particle...something not able to be described by science.

Huh? That's exactly how electrons (and everything else subatomic) was accounted for when I was taught, and science seemed to describe it pretty well.

Ghostisfort said:
The idea that everything is linear comes from our education where evolution and history are presented erroneously as being linear.

That's simply not true. You might as well argue that it's all cycles, it's another popular idea.

Perhaps old-skool Marxists view history as linear, but there aren't otoo mani of them left.

Ghostisfort said:
A history distorted by an agenda is not a history, it's a religious dogma.

Well you said it, and you certainly seem to have as much of an agenda as thoose you're complaining about.

wembley9 said:
Ghostisfort said:
The roots and original ideas behind all modern day technology originate pre 1930's.

Sure, just as the roots for all technology have always gone go waaay back. But the applied physics to turn it into reality is more recent.

Look at the great inventions of the 30's: jet engines, helicopters, synthetic rubber, radar -- all based on ideas and principles more than 30 years old at the time.

So I don't think you can blame Einstein.

You seem to have evaded answering this one. When did anything go from original idea to practical reality more rapidly than today?

wembley9 said:
wembley9 said:
Ghostisfort said:
The roots and original ideas behind all modern day technology originate pre 1930's.
Sure, just as the roots for all technology have always gone go waaay back. But the applied physics to turn it into reality is more recent.

Look at the great inventions of the 30's: jet engines, helicopters, synthetic rubber, radar -- all based on ideas and principles more than 30 years old at the time.

So I don't think you can blame Einstein.
You seem to have evaded answering this one. When did anything go from original idea to practical reality more rapidly than today?
I try not to evade anything as I intend to present my theory for peer review. :rofl: I don't blame Einstein per se. I blame the hubris that physicist and other scientists acquired after realising that they had something that no one else understood. (it later transpired that they didn't understand it after all - no one did.)

Don't forget that the thirties, that I said ended of golden age includes up-to and including 1939.
I'll get back to the other points, no time now.

Ghostisfort said:
It's not as cut and dried as the quoted textbook version would suggest.

Yes it is, if you just include the explanation later on the same wikpedia page you quote:

The experiment is described by some as a "paradox" as it seems, at first sight, to violate Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction...The discussion below shows this viewpoint stems from an incorrect choice of surface over which to calculate the flux.

You don't expect him to read it all the way to the end, do you? There might be something in there that challenges his assumptions.

rynner2 said:
Cochise said:
I ask as a humble enquirer, having revealed that I know next-to-nothing about the subject, but I thought I read somewhere that the idea of the electron as an actual particle was really a convention, and that it was more like a 'shell' or 'ring' around the nucleus which was not anywhere solid? In other words thinking of it as a particle orbiting so quickly that you could never say where it was provided an easier way of visualising it?
Yes, as I said elsewhere (and quite recently), our brains did not evolve to handle quantum stuff (and that's the realm we're in with atoms and their constituent 'particles'). This is because, at this level, things have a wave-particle duality.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave%E2%80 ... le_duality

The best we can do at visualising what 'really' goes on is to choose whatever aspect best suits the situation we're looking at. Sometimes an electron is like a particle, other times it's more like a wave. The Wiki page covers it in some depth, so there's no point me repeating it all here.

My specialty is database access, data retrieval, indexing etc. So I spend my day with abstract structures in my head. It's normal for me to be thinking of things that have more dimensions than we can physically percieve. Although the brain aches the first time you grasp the concept, you become used to it.

My own main product uses a concept best described as a pyramid with 0-254 faces situated within an n-dimensional matrix, with the current record as the apex of the pyramid. This of course is another approximation - indeed quite a drastic simplification - and I simplify it still further when describing it to customers.

So I can easily visualise a nucleus surrounded by a series of semi-permeable shells, each with a fixed number of slots. Its fine to use such approximations as long as everyone stays aware that's what they are.

Returning to normal transmissions.

From the description, an electron isn't a particle or a wave. Even though it partakes of some chacteristics of both. It would therefore seem obvious to me that it should have a new name for the type of object it is (I'm creating new programmatic objects all the time).

Why invent the whole particle-wave duality conundrum? You just need a new class of object that partakes of both particle and wave characteristics and maybe has some added bonus stuff of its own, plus one restriction - it only exists at a sub-atomic level.

Clearly sub-atomic physicists have no problem inventing names for specific things (Quark, Strangeness and Charm :) ), they just need to define a class they belong to.

Cochise said:

Why invent the whole particle-wave duality conundrum? You just need a new class of object that partakes of both particle and wave characteristics and maybe has some added bonus stuff of its own, plus one restriction - it only exists at a sub-atomic level.

The particle-wave duality wasn't invented. It grew out of an exploration of the electron's physical properties. It's grown out out of classical physics and helped necessitate the need for a newer, multi-dimensional, quantum World view. The electron exhibits both particle and wavelike properties. It diffracts like a wave and it has mass. That's an electron, that's what it does.

Cochise said:
Returning to normal transmissions - an electron isn't a particle then. Nor a wave. Even though it partakes of some chacteristics of both. It would therefore seem obvious to me that it should have a new name for the type of object it is
Ok, only an electron may behave like that, but a class of object need not have more than one member. It makes it easier if we eventually discover something else with the same properties.
Actually, all particles are wave-particle dualities. But as the frequency of the wave aspect depends on the mass, it's only at very tiny sizes that the wave aspect of particles shows up in ways we can measure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave-parti ... wavelength
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave-parti ... ge_objects

A cricket ball also has a wave frequency, but it is so high that we can never see any manifestation of its wave-like properties. (Although when Shane Warne was in his prime, you sometimes wondered...!)

As for a name for wave-particle objects, wavicle was once proposed, but it never caught on - too whimsicle, I guess!

P-M - Right, I accept that. So why the problem with describing it? It's not a particle or a wave so why is there seen to be some sort of contradiction that it has features of both? Or that it needs to be described as one of the other?

A hovercraft has some features of a car and a boat but it isn't either and we don't have a problem with realising that.

Rynner - Wavicle - I can see why that didn't catch on. OK, so wave behaviour its not a characteristic confined to sub-atomic objects and clearly not confined to actual waves. But you wouldn't call a cricket ball a 'particle', would you?

Maybe the error is in thinking of wave-like behaviour as belonging exclusively to waves, when it is a set of attributes that can belong to many kinds of object (like colour and font in modern computer visual objects). So 'a wave' is the stand-alone raw object which can exist by itself, but it also represents behaviour that can be inherited by many other classes of object.

Well, it's certainly not the ball bearing that so many graphics present, which give a false idea of the nature of the particle.

Think of a wave that grabs its tail to form a circle and you may be coming close to a description. Remember, everything orbits in nature, but in this case it ain't gravity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros :)

There you go, I've taken it out.
Was it the mention of Fortean Times that caused such angst? The crowd on New Science are like Catholics in heaven - they like to think they're the only ones there. :D

Ghostisfort said:
Returning to the quirky side of electricity:

Why don't we finish the discussion we're having before starting on more sidetracks which belong in another thread?

wembley9 said:
Ghostisfort said:

Why don't we finish the discussion we're having before starting on more sidetracks which belong in another thread?
Sidetracks are certainly one way of changing the subject. It's like Monty Python. No punchline? Then it's time for the naked organist! :lol:

Put a towel down first. Rememberr what happened to the seat last time.

Well, you keep rubbing my tummy.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
wembley9 said:
Ghostisfort said:

Sidetracks are certainly one way of changing the subject. It's like Monty Python. No punchline? Then it's time for the naked organist! :lol:
I don't have a naked organist, but how about a nine inch pianist? DADAAAA.

It must be hard to imagine when reading a textbook, that the atom is a perpetual motion machine. It's energy derived from the quantum foam just like the claims of alternate energy proponents.
In fact the description of the "Foam" is almost identical with that of Aether. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_foam
Maxwell concluded that light consists in undulations of the same medium that is the cause of electric and magnetic phenomena... Although Maxwell did not explicitly mention the sea of molecular vortices, his derivation of Ampère's circuital law was carried over from the 1861 paper and he used a dynamical approach involving rotational motion within the electromagnetic field which he likened to the action of flywheels. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether
As we can see, Maxwell was fond of the Ouroboros too. :)

I misread that a naked ONANIST and thought we were still on topic...

Could still apply - depends on what a chap can turn his hand to.

We're enjoying Brian Cox's A Night With The Stars on t'BBC. Yes, he's mentioned gravity, and he used an apple! :D

escargot1 said:
We're enjoying Brian Cox's A Night With The Stars on t'BBC. Yes, he's mentioned gravity, and he used an apple! :D
I assume it was a Cox's Orange Pippin.

Timble2 said:
I misread that a naked ONANIST and thought we were still on topic...
Well well, I see that the claws are indeed well and truly out.
On some forums calling me a w**ker would constitute an 'ad hom', but seemingly not here. The moderation is frightful in its absence.
Dubio scientificus is a much more serious crime.
Ratio est superius methodo scientifica...cogita tibi

Back