• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spiritualist Church Medium

Another experience I had at a spiritualist church was when I was about 27 and had that week found out that I was about 8 weeks pregnant. I hadn’t told my mum (only myself and my husband knew) who was with me at the church. We sat at the back (there were about 30 rows of chairs in two columns so a LOT of people). Now at this time I had a one year old and was using the old terries nappies which was unusual in the early 1990s as disposables were in by then. We sat down and waited for the medium to start. She looked directly at me and said ‘before we start , you young lady’, (I said me? She said yes), and she said ‘you’ll be getting those terries nappies back out this year won’t you?!’. My mum looked at me and said ‘you’re not are you?’ I was scarlet by now and wondering how on Earth she know and said to mum ‘no of course not!’ But of course I was. My daughter is 26 now and has a little baby of her own. I often think back at how that medium knew, I didn’t have a bump, I was still drinking and eating as normal and no one there except me knew.

A local variant is "that's the bunny" nsuspect that both are cleaned up versions of " that's the bugger" as "bugger " is used a lot round here, but not in polite company so I wil restrain myself.

Sorry-Just seen Lymeswolds post

Another experience I had at a spiritualist church was when I was about 27 and had that week found out that I was about 8 weeks pregnant. I hadn’t told my mum (only myself and my husband knew) who was with me at the church. We sat at the back (there were about 30 rows of chairs in two columns so a LOT of people). Now at this time I had a one year old and was using the old terries nappies which was unusual in the early 1990s as disposables were in by then. We sat down and waited for the medium to start. She looked directly at me and said ‘before we start , you young lady’, (I said me? She said yes), and she said ‘you’ll be getting those terries nappies back out this year won’t you?!’. My mum looked at me and said ‘you’re not are you?’ I was scarlet by now and wondering how on Earth she know and said to mum ‘no of course not!’ But of course I was. My daughter is 26 now and has a little baby of her own. I often think back at how that medium knew, I didn’t have a bump, I was still drinking and eating as normal and no one there except me knew.
I was once at a jumble sale (poor as a church mouse back then!) and one of the women who were serving showed me some beautiful maternity clothes and offered me a good price. As I was NOT pregnant or even fat enough to be mistaken for it It turned her down, despite her persistence. About one week later I was counting my fingers and scratching my head... :thought:

Some people just KNOW.

I too visited a Spiritualist Church more or less at the same time as the O.P - in the mid to late Nineties.

A friend and I, both drifting graduates, were primarily into UFOs but - by extension - open to persuasion about other things, and decided that it was a way to pass an evening. The outcome was not as persuasive as the O.P's, but neither was there anything as venal as Ringo was suggesting on show.

We were very much not the target market. There were only slightly more women than men (which surporised me) and the average age was about 75 (when death becomes a pressing issue). I also got the distinct impression - and I'm really not being judgemental here - that they were made up of what you might call the `self-educated` - the kind of people who read a lot of library books but have had no college educatrion.

The main star was a young man of maybe twenty or so. His `Gift` was that of Spirit Drawing (I think this is what they called it). He had a graphite pencil and sheets of paper and he drew portraits (of quite good artistic quality) of departed people that he could `see` and then showed them to us in the hope that someone would claim it as a relative. Unfortunately though, it just didn't work - nobody claimed any of the pictures that he presented! (Well, towards the end, one old gent took one, claiming a likeness to someone deceased, but I had the impression that he was doing this as a bit of a favour). If this was a scam, then it was a very poorly executed one and, for what it's worth, the young man doing it struck me as very well mannred and sincere.

There was also a more traditional medium doing a spot of `cold reading`, if that's what it was. He was more successful, but I was struck by the banality of the things people in the spirit world had to impart. A lot of it was of the `you've got a blocked sink` variety. (If I ever get to converse with a discarnate entity I want a disquisition on cosmolgy, thank you very much - not plumbing advice!)

He also passed on some `love` from a dog that one of the congrgation had lost. My friend later, as we walked home, scoffed at this. `Love is a human emotion`, he said.`Dogs only feel a loyalty to people who feed them, not love` (I've been musing over that ever since!)

Anyway, the event was either free or just a couple of quid - or maybe a hat was passed around for donations at the end. The point being: not much in the way of money changed hands in this event. I just didn't feel that there was any real scamming going on. It felt more like an exclusive club of people who were trying to condsole each other by making themselves believe in something.

I have since heard on the grapevine that the world of the medium is something of an old gay man's network - which is to say that the vast majority of them (that aren't women) are gay men, to the point where one could be treated with suspicion if one were straight. I don't know what that means - and I'm certainly not trying to imply anything crude by it -but it surely has some significance.

Last edited:
Some people just KNOW.
Yep my great uncle had this knack.

He never claimed any paranormality for this ability it was just that he could tell from the very early days and sometimes before the woman had fully realised it herself.

I sometimes wonder though it it had anything to do with the fact that he was a cowman in charge of the milking herd and that had made him more in tune with the subtle signals? Or maybe it was the other way round; he was a good cowman because he was so in tune with nature?

He never claimed any paranormality for this ability it was just that he could tell from the very early days and sometimes before the woman had fully realised it herself.

I sometimes wonder though it it had anything to do with the fact that he was a cowman in charge of the milking herd and that had made him more in tune with the subtle signals? Or maybe it was the other way round; he was a good cowman because he was so in tune with nature?
That's fascinating! :)

There are of course physical signs that give it away very early on.
I've met a quite few other observant people who knew.
One was my own father, who once noticed me practically hugging my parents' gas cooker one winter's day. Feeling uncharacteristically cold is a sign. He knew.
A man who is a father himself would have a good idea, of course!

I've also met individuals who know when they notice a woman shiver slightly. Had this from someone who saw me do just that.

A neighbour once knew when we were walking together. Apparently my breathing gave it way when I drew a deeper breath and gasped very lightly, just once. Pregnant breathing.

I knew when one of my sisters in law was barely finger-countingly pregnant because her jawline was suddenly mildly puffy.
She was annoyed because she wanted to tell her mother first!

In the above examples, the woman already knew or suspected what was going on.

It's much more impressive to know before the woman herself does. o_O

Reminds me of a midwife's story about getting new fathers to estimate their baby's weight. It gave Dad a quiet couple of minutes with Baby while his partner was being attended to.

Most got it more or less wrong except for one who confidently held up the baby in one brawny hand, thought for a moment and made his guess, and was proved to be spot-on.
Seems he was an expert, being a butcher. :chuckle:

It's much more impressive to know before the woman herself does. o_O
That wasn't the case all the time just sometimes and may have had more to do with the fact that the women in question were subconsciously ignoring the signs (even though they were evident for those in the know) for whatever reason.

So it's not necessarily as amazing as it might appear!

She was annoyed because she wanted to tell her mother first!
He also fell foul of that social nicety ... spoiling someones big surprise being saved for the right moment! duh.

The daughter who lives with me can tell if someone is pregnant and often surprises people at work. Sometimes she has told them what it will be.

The daughter who lives with me can tell if someone is pregnant and often surprises people at work. Sometimes she has told them what it will be.
Sometimes I've picked up one particular word a woman has said and known, although that's just amateur psychology. :wink2:
Did this to my hairdresser, to her astonishment, and nearer the time I correctly predicted the date she'd have the baby.
I also knew it was a girl, right from the start.

So it went:
1. That word.
2. She'd been advised that if she hadn't delivered by a certain date she'd be induced. Folk knowledge has it that the mother's body notes this date and delivers accordingly to avoid interference.
3. 50/50! But it was a strong feeling.

Sometimes I've picked up one particular word a woman has said and known, although that's just amateur psychology. :wink2:
Did this to my hairdresser, to her astonishment, and nearer the time I correctly predicted the date she'd have the baby.
I also knew it was a girl, right from the start.

So it went:
1. That word.
2. She'd been advised that if she hadn't delivered by a certain date she'd be induced. Folk knowledge has it that the mother's body notes this date and delivers accordingly to avoid interference.
3. 50/50! But it was a strong feeling.
I wonder if it's a smell, a change in the pheromones or some such, that some people are just very atuned to. It's like some people instinctively 'know' when their children are ill, even before any symptoms appear. They usually say that the child just smells 'different', sometimes rather sweetish.

My daughter often picks up on what I've been thinking and I posted before about when her aunt got divorced in Alaska the Alaskan plate on the wall fell down and her nose started to bleed.

I wonder if it's a smell, a change in the pheromones or some such, that some people are just very atuned to.
I think that's very likely. I was once in the checkout queue when I suddenly felt very horny which totally threw me. Looked round and couldn't spot any obvious triggers but it was a strong feeling (not a usual one at all at that particular time lol). It was getting stronger the nearer I got to the till and then I realised, to my total embarrassment that it was centered on the young woman working the till! I could barely look her in the eye and rushed out wondering if I'd was really a lesbian and it had taken me all this time to realise it?

A few days later my friend who worked in the store told me that that particular women had just found out she was pregnant!

So not a latent lesbo then ... umm shame as the men in my life at the time were totally pissing me off!

He also passed on some `love` from a dog that one of the congrgation had lost. My friend later, as we walked home, scoffed at this. `Love is a human emotion`, he said.`Dogs only feel a loyalty to people who feed them, not love` (I've been musing over that ever since!)
Whilst I may be dubious about dogs ability to come through a medium, dogs most definitely can feel love for their humans. Scientists have done tests and proved that dogs (well, I think bitches, to be exact) have a rush of oxytocine when they stare into the eyes of 'their person'. There are other tests too which seem to prove that dogs do, actually and properly, love their humans.

OK then, here's one of my old dear's stranger talents, which I do believe I have mentioned before.

She reckons she can tell when a man has recently had sex, and roughly how long ago it was, by smell.
He will give off a distinctive, possibly musky aroma which Mum can detect and subsequently go on to mentally nod approvingly or tut depending on the circumstances.

When she casually mentioned this, my first thought was 'Oh'ell, those boyfriends I took home to meet her, she knew what we'd been up to!' :thought:

My second was more along the lines of 'Wait, what?' :dunno:

Turned out she thought everyone could do this.
I have no way of telling how accurate this sense was, if at all, but Mother was adamant that she was right.

Last year a friend invited me to visit a couple she knows who are mediums. Friend lost a close relation in similar circumstances to the death of a member of my own family and had asked the couple to 'see' me as a favour.

As I wasn't warned what the process entailed I was pleasantly surprised to be treated to an exhibition of good old-fashioned Spiritualist knocking.

So I spent over an hour with them in a wooden summerhouse listening to the rapping of invisible knuckles on the walls and under the floor: one tap for no, two for yes.

If anyone's interested I can go into a little detail. :)

There was a song. :cool:

Last year a friend invited me to visit a couple she knows who are mediums. Friend lost a close relation in similar circumstances to the death of a member of my own family and had asked the couple to 'see' me as a favour.

As I wasn't warned what the process entailed I was pleasantly surprised to be treated to an exhibition of good old-fashioned Spiritualist knocking.

So I spent over an hour with them in a wooden summerhouse listening to the rapping of invisible knuckles on the walls and under the floor: one tap for no, two for yes.

Oh, do tell! I'm interested in the detail.

Go on Scargs, your encounters with the other are always interesting.

Please do, by all means

I have never been to a spiritualist church but I used to hang out with 'psychics' and go to psychic fairs, even had a tarot reading table at some. I recognize that a lot of the people claiming to be mediums just want attention, are telepathic and good at knowing what people want to hear. I took care of my mother until she died, then moved back to Texas for 14 months for a job, got them to let me work remotely and came home. One day I was driving on a busy street and saw a sign "psychic fair today". I decided to go in. I didn't know any of the people there and I signed up for a reading with a visiting medium. She was from England somewhere. Very nice lady and I was surprised because the first thing she said to me was "you still talk to your mother., She wanted me to let you know she hears you." She also told me about some man who was not a relative, hanging back like he wanted to say something but did not want to interfere. Finally she gave me his message and it was something from a man I had dated years before who had committed suicide. There are people who are real mediums, it is easy to spot them when you finally find them. They do not ask you questions, they tell you things, some things might not make sense, but later they will. It's the John Edwards and Sylvia Brown types that make buttloads of money off of cold readings saying things like "I'm getting someone with the letter..." and when someone says, oh, my aunt... and they continue to ask questions before they decide what the message is. There is no way that woman knew who I was. I could have put any name on the list and I don't use my whole name or even my real first name at psychic fairs. And she never asked me one question, just told me.

When I lived in Dallas a long time ago I used to go to a book store that had meeting rooms and there was a man who did a monthly seance. I don't remember what he called it, but that is essentially what it was except we all sat around a completely dark room (blackout curtains on the door and windows) and he sat at one end Before the lights were turned out he had everyone give him their first name, I could see he was memorizing where everyone sat. He then would do a quick meditation and when he started he would use a whole name like "Charles is here for someone in the room. Does anyone have a Charles that passed?" Often multiple people would speak up and he would take a breath and then name the person it was for. The messages I got were identifiable. My mother's cousin and her Aunt both said things like "we are all here together partying and look forward to seeing you, but it won't be soon." I had never met either of them but they named other dead relatives that they were with that I did know. I did get two messages that were specific, one my grandpa asking if I remembered riding on his tractor, and my brother telling me he was ok, but he did not use words, the guy just said "I see him dressed all in white." Usually when the medium gave a name and figured out who was supposed to get the message he did not want to know the relationship, he just gave the message. Some people would respond "oh, my mother was named..." but most people would just say "I do" to his question about does anyone have a ... He didn't just make names up because people in my family have unusual names and he brought them up.

OK then. Names are disguised.

We - the couple, Friend and I - went off into a wooden summerhouse and settled down on comfortable furniture.

The floor, walls and ceiling were bare wood with a large woven rug. We went in through double glassed doors at the front.
It was daylight so although I saw candles set around the walls, none was lit.

The Wife explained that the Spirits would communicate by knocking and we'd hear them around us.

Friend knew all about it, having been to many such sessions. She said 'Jake will be along soon!'

Wife started by asking her late father to talk to us, saying she'd like the usual code; one knock for 'no', two for 'yes'.

Wife, Husband and Friend said 'Oh yes, there he is!'

I couldn't hear anything at first; then, to my astonishment, I noticed faint knocks, two at a time, seeming to come from low down on a wall.

The couple knew about my deceased relation and asked if they were there. Two knocks! Then two more.

It sounded quiet but firm at first; light in tone like knuckles rapping, or someone tapping with a piece of dowelling,
No wall-shaking thumps.

As the minutes went on, the tapping seemed louder and was coming from different parts of the building. Sometimes we could hear it in the walls and other times in the floor.

The tapping switched quickly between sites, so it could be behind me, then across the room, then beside me, then on or in the wooden floor.
Sometimes I could feel it under my feet and I was tempted to take my shoes off.

However, it was only heard from one direction at a time. There were never two or or more sets of raps made at once.

Sometimes there would be continuous taps. Wife said this was the Sprits talking, and that the taps were the consonants.

After Wife had greeted her father and Friend her relation Jake, Wife invited me to speak to my deceased relation and ask them questions.

I addressed my deceased relation as if they were in the room, or maybe on the phone, and asked if they are happy now.

There were lots of taps which I was told indicated an enthusiastic 'Yes!'

I was encouraged to ask further questions such as 'Are you often with me, and with (other relations)?' and 'Have you seen the new baby?'
Lots of double taps ensued.

I asked my deceased relation if they'd been met by our loved ones when they'd passed, as I'd been brought up to believe happens.
Yes, and when I named them we heard more knocks.

So I asked if they'd be meeting me when it was my turn, yes, but it wouldn't be for a long time, surely? No. (Phew!)
Everyone laughed at this.

The atmosphere was relaxed and not solemn.

In between my questions to my deceased relation, the Wife was joking with her father about things that have happened recently (say, car trouble or burning the dinner) and Friend was giggling about how much 'Jake' was enjoying charging round the place and tapping to amuse her.
He'd been active and a prankster in life so it seemed natural.

Wife explained to me that some souls are given jobs to do, such as guiding new arrivals on their journey.
She asked my deceased relation if they'd been allotted such a task. There was a pause, then a single-tap 'no' which in context sounded sheepish.

Friend roared with laughter and suggested that my deceased relation and her Jake were too busy partying together, which brought a patter of taps. They were indeed!

Wife had written out numbers and the alphabet on a sheet of paper. She asked my deceased relation questions, to which they could spell out answers by tapping 'yes' when Wife pointed to a number.

I was given highly comforting messages this way.

Friend was grinning and enjoying the tapping that she took to be from Jake.
At one point she said 'I love you!' and was answered by three taps - 'I love you!' back to her.

When I mentioned to Wife that someone else close to me died recently, she asked if they were here too - yes.
It seems their passing was indeed peaceful, as I had seen, and they were very happy I'd been there with them as I'd promised.
Affectionate words were exchanged.

Eventually things began to wind down and Wife said 'Before you all go, it's time for the song.'

This reminded me of Cherry Ripe in The Night of the Demon so I giggled a bit.

Wife said 'Listen to this!' and began singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'.
The taps kept perfect time as if they were singing along. I was open-mouthed in surprise but everyone else had been expecting it.

This is how every session ends. Most parents sing this song with their babies and small children so everyone knows it.
I wanted to join in but the raps were too enthralling to drown out with my caterwauling.

We all said 'Goodbye for now!' and 'Love you!' and 'See you later!' and the tapping died away.

Afterwards we had coffee together and chatted, and half an hour later I was on my way home where I told Techy all about it.

Later, when we were settled watching TV, we heard some loud knocks. Sounded like rapping on woodwork, but coming from the front wall.
I thought it was on TV but when I rewound the programme there was no knocking.

Goody, I thought, I've brought the rapping home with me!
It will fit in well with the polty nonsense we have going on here.

This morning I popped into town and by chance, bumped into Friend on the supermarket car park. Most unusual - it'd never happened before.

Told her I'd had a super time and that we'd heard some mysterious raps at home. Friend said '(Your relation) said they'd do that!' and of course they had.

So, that's my Spiritualist Knocking experience. Great fun and definitely something I'll do again if invited.

Oh yeah, and just now some bottle of fizzy drink went BANG, like they do when you've dented them with the top off.
There're no bottles of any form of fizz in here. Hmmm.

Last edited:
Amazing experience E. I wonder why the relatives responded with taps rather than speaking to the medium. Perhaps to show you that they were responding? Was there no bad news at all in the session?

OK then. Names are disguised.

We - the couple, Friend and I - went off into a wooden summerhouse and settled down on comfortable furniture.

The floor, walls and ceiling were bare wood with a large woven rug. We went in through double glassed doors at the front.
It was daylight so although I saw candles set around the walls, none was lit.

The Wife explained that the Spirits would communicate by knocking and we'd hear them around us.

Friend knew all about it, having been to many such sessions. She said 'Jake will be along soon!'

Wife started by asking her late father to talk to us, saying she'd like the usual code; one knock for 'no', two for 'yes'.

Wife, Husband and Friend said 'Oh yes, there he is!'

I couldn't hear anything at first; then, to my astonishment, I noticed faint knocks, two at a time, seeming to come from low down on a wall.

The couple knew about my deceased relation and asked if they were there. Two knocks! Then two more.

It sounded quiet but firm at first; light in tone like knuckles rapping, or someone tapping with a piece of dowelling,
No wall-shaking thumps.

As the minutes went on, the tapping seemed louder and was coming from different parts of the building. Sometimes we could hear it in the walls and other times in the floor.

The tapping switched quickly between sites, so it could be behind me, then across the room, then beside me, then on or in the wooden floor.
Sometimes I could feel it under my feet and I was tempted to take my shoes off.

However, it was only heard from one direction at a time. There were never two or or more sets of raps made at once.

Sometimes there would be continuous taps. Wife said this was the Sprits talking, and that the taps were the consonants.

After Wife had greeted her father and Friend her relation Jake, Wife invited me to speak to my deceased relation and ask them questions.

I addressed my deceased relation as if they were in the room, or maybe on the phone, and asked if they are happy now.

There were lots of taps which I was told indicated an enthusiastic 'Yes!'

I was encouraged to ask further questions such as 'Are you often with me, and with (other relations)?' and 'Have you seen the new baby?'
Lots of double taps ensued.

I asked my deceased relation if they'd been met by our loved ones when they'd passed, as I'd been brought up to believe happens.
Yes, and when I named them we heard more knocks.

So I asked if they'd be meeting me when it was my turn, yes, but it wouldn't be for a long time, surely? No. (Phew!)
Everyone laughed at this.

The atmosphere was relaxed and not solemn.

In between my questions to my deceased relation, the Wife was joking with her father about things that have happened recently (say, car trouble or burning the dinner) and Friend was giggling about how much 'Jake' was enjoying charging round the place and tapping to amuse her.
He'd been active and a prankster in life so it seemed natural.

Wife explained to me that some souls are given jobs to do, such as guiding new arrivals on their journey.
She asked my deceased relation if they'd been allotted such a task. There was a pause, then a single-tap 'no' which in context sounded sheepish.

Friend roared with laughter and suggested that my deceased relation and her Jake were too busy partying together, which brought a patter of taps. They were indeed!

Wife had written out numbers and the alphabet on a sheet of paper. She asked my deceased relation questions, to which they could spell out answers by tapping 'yes' when Wife pointed to a number.

I was given highly comforting messages this way.

Friend was grinning and enjoying the tapping that she took to be from Jake.
At one point she said 'I love you!' and was answered by three taps - 'I love you!' back to her.

When I mentioned to Wife that someone else close to me died recently, she asked if they were here too - yes.
It seems their passing was indeed peaceful, as I had seen, and they were very happy I'd been there with them as I'd promised.
Affectionate words were exchanged.

Eventually things began to wind down and Wife said 'Before you all go, it's time for the song.'

This reminded me of Cherry Ripe in The Night of the Demon so I giggled a bit.

Wife said 'Listen to this!' and began singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'.
The taps kept perfect time as if they were singing along. I was open-mouthed in surprise but everyone else had been expecting it.

This is how every session ends. Most parents sing this song with their babies and small children so everyone knows it.
I wanted to join in but the raps were too enthralling to drown out with my caterwauling.

We all said 'Goodbye for now!' and 'Love you!' and 'See you later!' and the tapping died away.

Afterwards we had coffee together and chatted, and half an hour later I was on my way home where I told Techy all about it.

Later, when we were settled watching TV, we heard some loud knocks. Sounded like rapping on woodwork, but coming from the front wall.
I thought it was on TV but when I rewound the programme there was no knocking.

Goody, I thought, I've brought the rapping home with me!
It will fit in well with the polty nonsense we have going on here.

This morning I popped into town and by chance, bumped into Friend on the supermarket car park. Most unusual - it'd never happened before.

Told her I'd had a super time and that we'd heard some mysterious raps at home. Friend said '(Your relation) said they'd do that!' and of course they had.

So, that's my Spiritualist Knocking experience. Great fun and definitely something I'll do again if invited.

Oh yeah, and just now some bottle of fizzy drink went BANG, like they do when you've dented them with the top off.
There're no bottles of any form of fizz in here. Hmmm.
That was certainly well worth reading, thank you for sharing your story. Very interesting that some of the energy seems to have followed you around for a while afterward. Me, I just went to a couple of Spiritualist Church meetings several years ago (thinking that their Developing Mediumship classes might improve my psychic chops) where the medium was supposed to bring people messages or "readings" from friendly ghosts after the service. The services were much like Sunday services at a "soft" liberal mainline church, with a sermon and hymns. Other than me the congregants were mostly older white folks who seemed very normal, even square. Both times I got bored and squirmy long before the psychic messages started, and bailed during the intermission. If there were any ghosts waiting to hail me, I stood them up.

Amazing experience E. I wonder why the relatives responded with taps rather than speaking to the medium. Perhaps to show you that they were responding? Was there no bad news at all in the session?
The tapping is the mediums' thing. They do sometimes interpret it as words and ask 'Do you mean..?' and get a yes or no.

They're a married couple who both have main jobs and don't do this for a living. It's an expression of their interest in spirituality.

I've decided to try singing 'Twinkle Twinkle' before going to sleep every night in the hope of hearing more taps. ;)
Can't hurt.

A medium once told me my Dad had been quite ill and was not long for this world. He lasted another 30 years after this but had a rather disconcerting habit of getting plastered every new years eve and announcing he would be dead in the morning.

Back