• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The sad thing is, that in isolation, the episode was done very well and was enjoyable. Christina Chong has a hell of a set of pipes!

The problem for me is that it was tonally off from the rest of Star Trek. It was a bold experiment, but for me it didn't fully land. Overall though, as I said, in isolation it's enjoyable and has some good tunes. Musicals aren't everyone's taste, so I can fully understand some people hating it. However, it's a single episode of an otherwise exceptionally entertaining show, so I am willing to forgive. And after all, it's not like this single episode has replaced all the other episodes of Star Trek.

The Lower Decks crossover episode made up for this...
I think they just needed a better reason to do it... even by star Trek standards that was a weak sauce plot.

The real reason at least in part was to offset some of the heavier plot elements. Pike dealing with his future death, the season finale.
I personally hate musicals, I find them irritating. Though the last scene with the klingons was hilarious.

hmm... yes and no... it was an aspect of Klingons but not that specific before.

ST Discovery is back with series 5 ep 1 "Red Directive", released on Paramount+ in the UK yesterday.
Watched it tonight. Flashy special effects, as we've come to expect, but it all just seemed to wash over me with minimal impact and I struggled to engage with the plot or any of the characters (although I did quite like the errant Tribble).
The main action occurring on a desert planet seemed to be a bit of a homage to Dune.
And did we really need another Data? Trekkies more clued-up than me can comment on whether this is acceptable as ST canon or not.
The link to Captain Picard at the end just about salvaged things.
Oh well. Hopefully it will just about tide me over until Strange New Worlds season 3 reaches us (hopefully without song and dance routines).

I really enjoyed the first two episodes of Discovery. It's still a bit sappy. An old cynic like me just gets distracted by characters stopping in the middle of their urgent duties to offload their feelings onto each other. But, old cynics aside, times feel a bit dark these days, and perhaps mawkishness is what the world needs. But plenty of action, and I'm excited to see where the plot is going.

There is a line in the new season: "That is *what* you`ve been doing, I want to know *how* you`ve been doing".
No, they haven`t gotten better at that.

I'lll be honest... I don't give a --- about Soong-type androids.

TOS established MULTIPLE types of androids and even had the ability to make android duplicates of real people who worked just fine.

TNG trying to talk up Soong's work as revolutionary felt flat from day 1 and I've never really liked how they try to make Data super-super-special. Picard made that worse and came up with new ways to make it even dumber. Growing a positronic brain? REALLY?!?!!?

The point was Soong wasn't making better. He wanted to create life. He was an arrogant genius, so he oversold the 'greatness' of androids.
There was always the lack of emotion that sat at his challenge. Hence the ST:NG doodad of the emotion chip.
In standard sci-fi, and in fact canon Star Trek there was always the possibility of robots/androids. However the film makers avoided this because it was ... too sci-fi.
In practical terms, Paramount saved money by not having robots. Introducing ST:NG they wanted to do a similarity to Vulcans.

Yeah but.... AFTER having androids like Andrea just... wandering around the galaxy.

And yeah... an android just vaporized another android. that was an android duplicate of Kirk.

I get not wanting walking toasters... which we did get in Voyager, but TOS had more than one ep with proper Androids.... who looked MORE Human than Data. It's bugged me ever since I first saw TNG.

Scots Awa!

For the first time in almost 60 years Star Trek character Scotty is being played by a Scottish actor.

Previously the role has been filled by Canadian actor James Doohan and Englishman Simon Pegg.

Now Scottish actor Martin Quinn is portraying a younger version of the character in the prequel series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

Martin jokingly told BBC Scotland News, "We are rebranding him, he's from Paisley now."

Marni Grossman/Paramount Plus Martin as Scotty in Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Marni Grossman/Paramount Plus
Martin's version of Scotty was a surprise cameo at the end of season 2

Montgomery "Scotty" Scott has been a character in the science fiction franchise since it first began in 1966.

Doohan played the Scottish spaceship engineer in the original series and seven Star Trek films before Pegg took on the role for director JJ Abrams' reboots from 2009.

Martin's young Scotty appeared as a surprise cameo at the end of the second season of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds and he will play a recurring role in season three.

The 30-year-old, from the Gallowhill area of Paisley, says he hopes even more Scottish people will watch Star Trek now that they have cast a real Scot.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c72kn4gzq8no

I loved the time-travel shenanigans of the last episode of Star Trek: Discovery, but once again its cloying soppiness is still annoying. But I thought this episode had some great moments, particularly Burnham of the 'present' meeting Burnham of the 'past'. I think this is shaping up to be the best season so far, or at least the one I'm most enjoying. Shame it'll be the last, but all good things...

Curse my gutter-level mentality, but I'm sure there's scope for a meme of Captain Burnham near the end of the episode saying, 'Really glad we all came together.' I nearly spat my coffee at the TV.

I think Season 5 of Discovery has started pretty strong. They seem to be trying to have some fun with it at last. I've found it to be a bit po-faced compared with other Trek's.

my issue is... some of the characters are totally unbelievable. I get having someone who's been marooned for weeks or months being a bit weird, but some of them STARTED that way as academy graduates.

Also some of the plot points over-indulge in the "space magic" aspects.

Another great episode of Star Trek: Discovery today, I thought. No spoilers, but some tension, plenty of action, oozing technobabble, and a cool callback. In many ways, Star Trek at its most Star Treky. I'm still finding this the most rewarding and focused series of Disco.

my issue is... some of the characters are totally unbelievable. I get having someone who's been marooned for weeks or months being a bit weird, but some of them STARTED that way as academy graduates.
Reginald Barclay graduated and served on the Enterprise, and he's not exactly a functional human being able to operate in society.

Back