• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Here's a look back at how the original 1977 film was changed from page to screen via editing - from the deleted Biggs footage, to how entire Death Star climax was re-jigged (and that was a real eye-opener!)

Finally saw Last Jedi.

Really enjoyed it. Didn’t really get the “Culture Wars” criticism of it. The character Rose has been criticised heavily on those grounds but I think unfairly - she seemed quite convincing as a backroom grease monkey who is unexpectedly pushed into a high stakes heroic venture. Equally, given the nature of the sci-fi universe, the racially diverse casting and prominent role of women seems completely unremarkable. People really need to get over themselves on things like this!

It was a little overlong - the sequences with Luke started to drag after a while - and it seemed a bit violent for some of the youngsters in the audience - but overall at least 8/10 I thought. Kylo Ren was far more bearable this t8me round as well - not so much whiny emo kid.

Finally saw Last Jedi.

Really enjoyed it. Didn’t really get the “Culture Wars” criticism of it. The character Rose has been criticised heavily on those grounds but I think unfairly - she seemed quite convincing as a backroom grease monkey who is unexpectedly pushed into a high stakes heroic venture. Equally, given the nature of the sci-fi universe, the racially diverse casting and prominent role of women seems completely unremarkable. People really need to get over themselves on things like this!

It was a little overlong - the sequences with Luke started to drag after a while - and it seemed a bit violent for some of the youngsters in the audience - but overall at least 8/10 I thought. Kylo Ren was far more bearable this t8me round as well - not so much whiny emo kid.

I identify with that review!

I identify with that review!
I would agree too.

I finally got to see it this afternoon. Perhaps weaker on a first watch than the previous installment, but fun enough. The characters felt as though they were progressing, and perhaps most importantly, it's made me really eager to see what happens next. I'm looking forward to giving it a second viewing on blu-ray.

I really think the "Culture Wars" criticism really does just boil down to a bunch of people who don't like there being a girl as the protagonist. Or maybe a few of them don't like how it portrays Nazi analogues in a bad light.

I really don't understand the petition to have it removed from the canon. I mean, that's real butt-hurt territory. You know what we did when we didn't like the prequels? We just ignored them. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier? We ignored it. Or made jokes about Shatner directing.

I've actually seen this come up before. People complained about Sherlock when they introduced sexual tension with Irene Adler, because he was "asexual" - not because Conan-Doyle had said so, not because Steven Moffatt or Mark Gatiss had said so, but because some fans had decided he was and were upset when the show-runners had different ideas.

Look, I'm fond of a bit of head canon. It can help make some dodgy decisions by creators easier to live with. And it's OK that other people don't like The Last Jedi, no-one says they have to. Just accept that it's a film you don't like and move on.

I really think the "Culture Wars" criticism really does just boil down to a bunch of people who don't like there being a girl as the protagonist. Or maybe a few of them don't like how it portrays Nazi analogues in a bad light.

Annoying though some of the critics may be, it’s a bit of a stretch to imply they are Nazis! Plus those analogies have been there since the first stormtrooper appeared on screen...

No, I think it’s mainly the female lead plus griping about PC casting more generally. Ultimately though it’s what you say about head canon - it’s not precisely how they imagined it so it’s bad. I wish they would chill out and enjoy the thing, honestly...

Annoying though some of the critics may be, it’s a bit of a stretch to imply they are Nazis! Plus those analogies have been there since the first stormtrooper appeared on screen...
I didn't imply the critics were Nazis, just that some people may be upset about the way Nazis were portrayed.

Annoying though some of the critics may be, it’s a bit of a stretch to imply they are Nazis!

everyone-i-dont-like-is-hitler-a-childs-guide-to-arguing-on-the-internet.jpg

maximus otter

Er. The Empire was very much modeled to be Nazis in space. Only human superiority instead of German.

I actually hadn't heard of this film, one of the early low-budget Star Wars parodies called Gremloids aka Hyperspace:

I actually hadn't heard of this film, one of the early low-budget Star Wars parodies called Gremloids aka Hyperspace:

It's the origin story of our illustrious prospective parliamentary candidate, Lord Buckethead, leader of the Gremloids Party. Narrowly beaten by the Maybot in the Maidenhead constituency at last year's General Election.

I thought this was pretty cool!

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away... we might have seen a version of Star Wars that featured a Han Solo with green skin and gills, Stormtroopers with lightsabers, and a female heroine named Luka Starkiller. Many of these anomalies can be seen in concept artist, Ralph McQuarrie's early illustrations of the Star Wars universe. While looking back at these early paintings we can't help but wonder what Star Wars would have been like had it remained loyal to the concept art and early drafts of the script. The DAVE School graduating class of August and October 2017 have answered that question by bringing Ralph McQuarrie's paintings to life in a concept trailer for what might have been... The Star Wars.

Looks cool, but not sure I really need to see Han's backstory.

Do we get to see him do the Kessel Run? And other over-explanations of throwaway comments in old scripts? Watching that I couldn't make out a story.

Do we get to see him do the Kessel Run? And other over-explanations of throwaway comments in old scripts? Watching that I couldn't make out a story.
I hope we get to see the card game (or whatever game it was) when Solo won the Falcon off Lando .. I haven't watched this vid yet so sorry if it's shit ..

Last edited:
I hope we get to see the card game (or whatever game it was) when Solo won the Falcon off Lando .. I haven't watched this vid yet so sorry if it's shit ..

I believe it was dice. The dice he won it with hang from the console, as a "subtle" joke on fuzzy dice hanging from rear-view mirrors.

At least that's the version I heard.

I believe it was dice. The dice he won it with hang from the console, as a "subtle" joke on fuzzy dice hanging from rear-view mirrors.

At least that's the version I heard.
According to the vid I've linked to above, there was the dice version of the game (gold dice, two of them, 6 sided that he kept as a souvenir) and a cards version of the game in the story.

Back