• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The nice postman brought me my Star Wars DVDs this lunchtime! I'm settled in for an evening of beer, popcorn and swearing at George Lucas which I'm one third of the way through. The Jabba scene in New Hope looks better than the last version, but is still rubbish- there are still bits where Han's arms appear to pass through the CGI Hutt. I don't know why they don't just drop the scene, cos they're never going to get it to work properly. The Emperor hologram change in Empire makes sense, but the thing with the ghosts in Jedi is just plain wrong.
I don't understand the guy's obsession with fiddling with the films; he really should have worked out that the special effects are not the reason we're all watching them, given that everyone prefers the creaky old originals to their shiny computer assisted prequels. It's like he made these three fantastic films, and has dedicated the rest of his life to ruining them.
Someone really needs to say "Oy, Lucas! Put the films down and back away with your hands in the air!"

Ok, this seems to have turned into a bit of a rant, for which I apologise. I'm going to shut up now.

Evilsprout said:
When they're ghosts why is Obi Wan old but Anakin young? Shouldn't they have got Ewan McGregor in to play Ghosty Wan Kenobi in that case? And a more sprightly Yoda.

No, because if you think about it, they show his father BEFORE he fell in the lava and became Vadar...so in effect it WOULD be christensen who appears as a pre-vadar Anakin.

Makes sense when you think about it.

But why is Vader/anakin a ghost anyway, I always thought that for that to happen you had to have become one with the force, like Yoda and Obi-wan, where as Vader died normally.

Because Anakin was redeemed at the last moment.

Talk about your deathbed conversions.

but his body was still there, unlike Yoda and Obiwan.
Also, wouldnt have Luke been a little confused as to who the young bloke was?

Dirtybob said:
but his body was still there, unlike Yoda and Obiwan.
Also, wouldnt have Luke been a little confused as to who the young bloke was?
Wouldn't he have been confused ANYWAY? I mean the guy at the end would have looked nothing like the guy in the suit.

The reason why the body's still there is because it's about redemption from the son. His SON sets him free, forgives him by giving him a jedi flame grill at the end.

simple. only then, you see, does he appear alongside other jedi, his SON has released him.

Originally posted on bbc.co.uk
He (Anthony Daniels) admits director George Lucas' fascination with special effects had overtaken storytelling in later films.

"For the final shot I walked along a blue corridor with a blue background behind me talking to someone who wasn't there." he said.

At least someone admits to it!! Lucas needs a smack. Its a shame he has to tarnish the films we loved to grow up with and then soil the memories even more by producing below-par prequels. I'm interested to hear they want to continue the series on TV, but I think Lucas should just have an Executive Producer credit on this, much like Empire and Jedi, and leave it up to a bunch of directors who aren't obsessed with fancy CGI to continue the Star Wars universe.

Lucas is a no-necked fool who would have trouble directing traffic.
However, we do all have the choice not to buy his product. The only reason that he has made so much "bank" is our own gulibilty.
We may whine and moan, but like the good consumers we are, we would buy Star Wars even if it was sold as "With added Jar Jar Binks".
And yes, I have ordered it, to add to my orginal's on video (both widescreen and pan and scan), the remasters on video, and the laserdiscs. I have way too much time on my hands.

No, you have way too much money on your hands.

Although quite a bit of it is now in George's pocket.

As for Luke not knowing who the third spirit is: If he didn't, then I'd have thought the Universe's fate would be better off in someone else's hands.

Who else is it going to be? The other two images are his two mentors, and this third bloke, who he has in theory never seen before, who's he meant to be? Maybe his father? Nah, must be some other geezer.

Really.

I have a dream/fantasy that some bright spark working at ILM tweaking the FX a bit for a future re-release, will tinker with Eps I and II and dub someone else's voice over Jar Jar Binks' and the other Gunguns, giving them a Geordie, or perhaps Glaswegian, accent. A copy of this will accidentally be leaked onto the 'net, and prove hugely popular, so it will be deemed a deliberate act on the part of Lucasfilm and become the official approved versions of Eps I and II forever more.

All the old versions will be ritually burned on a pyre and never be spoke of again ...

Nice idea, but how about Obi Wan dubbed over as a Geordie, purely for comedy sake? Might be a bit better than Ewan McGregor's attempt at an Alec Guiness, for sure. Then of course Lucas would have to tinker more with the original trilogy, to bring it all up to scratch....

Never ending story, anyone? No hang on, that was an entirely different film....

[edit] by the way, this isn't a dig at Geordies, moreover a poke in the ribs at the Almighty Bearded One....

Here's an idea how about everyone, including Luc-ass, realises that the first film was only popular because nobody at the time had seen anything else like it and that the second one is the only decent one because Luc-ass had limited involvment with its production.
Hopefully then he can let it go and stop unconvincingly cramming in crap computer effects and those walking planks of wood which everyone so politely describe as actors.

The only thing that saves Indiana Jones is Speilberg and that includes The Temple Of Doom which I know Luc-ass wrote and included all his trademark "characters". Annoying, weak, scream queen woman and annoying, comedy sidekick child-hero being the main two.

Which is of course why Temple of Doom sucks.

I want one!!!

Join The Dark Side, Spud

NEW YORK, Jan. 15, 2005

"Darth Tater" (Photo: AP)

(CBS/AP) A spud on the dark side.

That's how Hasbro, Inc. is promoting its latest Mr. Potato Head figure, "Darth Tater." The toy-spud will be available next month, ahead of the May release of "Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith," the latest installment in that film series.

"Darth Tater" will come with a lightsaber, cape and helmet, in addition to the regular Mr. Potato Head accessories like eyes, mouth and nose. The Pawtucket, Rhode Island-based toy maker says kids will be able to "have all kinds of mix n' match, Mr. Potato Head fun with this wacky spud dressed as the infamous Star Wars villain, Darth Vader." The toy will retail for $7.99.

"Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" is the eagerly awaited final chapter of the prequel trilogy. The film will show young Anakin Skywalker, ambitious and recently married to the future mother of Luke and Leia, being fully seduced by the dark side and sealing his fate as what is possibly the most famous film-villain of all time: Darth Vader.

Episode III opens in May.

--------------------
©MMV, CBS Broadcasting Inc.

Plague Rider said:
Nice idea, but how about Obi Wan dubbed over as a Geordie, purely for comedy sake? Might be a bit better than Ewan McGregor's attempt at an Alec Guiness, for sure. Then of course Lucas would have to tinker more with the original trilogy, to bring it all up to scratch....

Hey! I thought McGregor did a pretty passable Guiness impression . . .

:cry:

-Fitz

Star Wars: Episode III Opening Crawl Revealed!

Episode III
REVENGE OF THE SITH

War! The Republic is crumbling under attacks by the ruthless Sith Lord, Count Dooku. There are heroes on both sides. Evil is everywhere.

In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate.

As the Separatist Droid Army attempts to flee the besieged capital with their valuable hostage, two Jedi Knights lead a desperate mission to rescue the captive Chancellor....

link

Re: Star Wars: Episode III Opening Crawl Revealed!

fLeebLe said:
In a stunning move, the fiendish droid leader, General Grievous, has swept into the Republic capital and kidnapped Chancellor Palpatine, leader of the Galactic Senate.

That's odd, I thought Palpatine became the Emperor, unless this is a cunning plot device to mislead us all (Ha!).

at the point where the third film starts, Palpatine's allegiences aren't known to the jedi are they? hence why Grevious' kidnapping him could be deemed a ruse?

I would be willing to bet all my mediclorians that it is a big fat ruse. The same way Dooku lied to Kenobi in the last one by actually telling him the truth . . .

Oh, those Siths!

-Fitz

GAH! What's your special power? Killing erections?...

Genius.
Brilliant link, Emperor, thanks.
I love Star Wars, indeed, I know more than is healthy for a person about it, but these guys... brrrrrrr.

Last Star Wars 'not for children'

The sixth and final Star Wars movie may not be suitable for young children, film-maker George Lucas has said.
He told US TV show 60 Minutes that Revenge of the Sith would be the darkest and most violent of the series.

"I don't think I would take a five or six-year-old to this," he told the CBS programme, to be aired on Sunday.

Lucas predicted the film would get a US rating advising parents some scenes may be unsuitable for under-13s. It opens in the UK and US on 19 May.

He said he expected the film would be classified PG-13 - roughly equivalent to a British 12A rating.

The five previous Star Wars films have all carried less restrictive PG - parental guidance - ratings in the US.

In the UK, they have all been passed U - suitable for all - with the exception of Attack of The Clones, which got a PG rating in 2002.

Revenge of the Sith - the third prequel to the original 1977 Star Wars film - chronicles the transformation of the heroic Anakin Skywalker into the evil Darth Vader as he travels to a Hell-like planet composed of erupting volcanoes and molten lava.

"We're going to watch him make a pact with the devil," Lucas said.

"The film is much more dark, more emotional. It's much more of a tragedy."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 339023.stm

Well i really hope the last installment is better than the 1st and 2nd but that shouldn't be too difficult!

sjoh9 said:
Revenge of the Sith - the third prequel to the original 1977 Star Wars film - chronicles the transformation of the heroic Anakin Skywalker into the evil Darth Vader

Sucky and childish Anakin Skywalker into the evil Darth Vader is more like it.

-Fitz

'Wrong queue' for Star Wars fans

Star Wars fans have started queuing seven weeks early for the opening of the final movie - but appear to have camped outside the wrong cinema.

Dedicated fans are lining up outside the famous Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood but have been told it will open on 19 May at a cinema a mile away.

Producers opted to open the film at the ArcLight cinema, making it unlikely other cinemas in the area will show it.

But the fans are refusing to move, believing the news to be false.

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith will open at the ArcLight complex, which is adjacent to another Hollywood landmark, the Cinerama Dome.

"We've heard all this before," said Sarah Sprague, one of the small group already queuing.

She said similar stories were circulated ahead of Star Wars releases in 1999 and 2002 - but the films had eventually opened at Grauman's.

"This is still the epicentre for Star Wars fans," Ms Sprague added.

"For the big iconic pictures of the 1970s, people lining up were here. They weren't at the Cinerama Dome."

Revenge of the Sith will be the last of three prequels to the original 1977 science fiction classic.

'More emotional'

Executives from 20th Century Fox and ArcLight told Variety magazine Revenge of the Sith would be showing at the Arclight although a deal had yet to be completed.

In 2002, two die-hard fans started camping outside their local Seattle cinema four months before the release of Episode II: Attack of the Clones.

Despite mixed reviews for the past two Star Wars releases, anticipation for the final instalment is expected to be high.

Director George Lucas has said Revenge of the Sith is darker and more emotional than previous Star Wars films.

Back