• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Steampunk

I've just discovered a great blog by a bloke called John Adcock:

Here it is

Early comic books, penny dreadfuls and all the most disreputable literature treated in depth and with copious illustrations. One to bookmark and enjoy at leisure as it seems very extensive. :D

I found it when checking up on Haining's Sweeney Todd fibs but have found the early science-fiction papers very intriguing, especially as they might relate to the scare-ships waves. :shock:

There are some quite jolly little finds in there.

JAP_BEAST.jpg

That's a cover where you really don't know who it's supposed to be appealing to. And maybe you don't want to know.

I saw nothing like that on my visit but it is a big site.

A word of warning would probably have been more appropriate that plucking out that object and pasting it here. :(

Looks like a cool festival.

Asylum festival: Steampunk fans gather in Lincoln
  • 25 August 2017
_90948319_steam1.jpg
Image copyrightAFP
Thousands of people are gathering at what is claimed to be the "largest steampunk event in the solar system".

The Asylum festival brings steampunkers from across the UK to Lincoln Castle and other historic parts of the city.

Steampunk has been described as "nostalgia for what never was" and draws on a wide variety of influences from HG Wells to comics.

Director John Naylor said the only rules for the 120,000 attending were to be "splendid, friendly and polite".

_97527729_mediaitem97527728.jpg

Mr Naylor said it was up to people to interpret the steampunk genre however they wished.

"For a lot of people it's just the feel-good factor - the opportunity to be sociable and creative," he said.

_97528317_mediaitem97529464.jpg

Image copyrightBRYAN HURT

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-41046870#

We've had Steampunk festivals in my home town, which is probably the most Steampunk town going. Looking forward to the next.

We've had Steampunk festivals in my home town, which is probably the most Steampunk town going. Looking forward to the next.

Whitby or just bad air pollution?
:vulc:

(This is alleged to be a Vulcan, but I'm going vampire)

We used to have a lot of steam.

The current Thomas the Tank Engine TV series that are completely CGI are rubbish.

I saw the DVD cover and it looked like Thomas and pals were aiming to take over from the Guardians of the Galaxy. The Reverend would be horrified. I was pretty horrified myself.

Steampunk comes to Bronte country.

Hundreds of steampunks have descended on the Pennine village of Haworth for a festival dedicated to the genre.

The event features parades, fashion shows, music and burlesque acts. Tea duelling - who can keep a dunked biscuit intact for the longest - is another highlight and in keeping with the movement's courteous ethos. Steampunk began as a sub-genre of science fiction which imagines a future powered by steam and clockwork but from a Victorian perspective.

The two-day event also included photography shoots and performances from burlesque star Velma Von Bon Bon and music from Mr B - The Gentleman Rhymer. Organisers said Haworth, home to the Bronte sisters, provided the perfect setting for a steampunk event because of its cobbled streets and Victorian aesthetic and buildings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-50027625

Steampunk comes to Bronte country.

Hundreds of steampunks have descended on the Pennine village of Haworth for a festival dedicated to the genre.

The event features parades, fashion shows, music and burlesque acts. Tea duelling - who can keep a dunked biscuit intact for the longest - is another highlight and in keeping with the movement's courteous ethos. Steampunk began as a sub-genre of science fiction which imagines a future powered by steam and clockwork but from a Victorian perspective.

The two-day event also included photography shoots and performances from burlesque star Velma Von Bon Bon and music from Mr B - The Gentleman Rhymer. Organisers said Haworth, home to the Bronte sisters, provided the perfect setting for a steampunk event because of its cobbled streets and Victorian aesthetic and buildings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-50027625

The steam railway is probably a help to the atmosphere as well.

I'm allergic to steampunk but I'll second the recommendation much earlier in the thread for Ghibli's Laputa: Castle in the Sky, a truly wonderful film that fits the genre.

I've got a book I haven't read yet by Alistair Reynolds that apparently has a world where electric technology doesn't work due to its physical position in the Galaxy; therefore a steampunk society flourishes. I'm showing my prejudice but that's the reason I haven't read it.

Odd, I didn't notice the steampunk fair. And I live just down the road from Haworth.

The KWVR (keighley and Worth Valley Railway) will certainly contribute to the atmosphere. I can hear a train going up the valley right now.

Hurrah!

I found a copy of the `Steampnk Bible` its faschinating.

Anyone read the `Steampunk Manifesto?` My outdoors friends love steampunk, the idea of future tech that doesnt need replacing in 5 minutes time is very green.

I'm a fan of steampunk! I go to various conventions with a mate and we are planning a steampunk costume when we get our act together.

We like our current Star Trek ones and it's dead easy. But once we did the first one in costume we realised we were going to move on.

Love the hat, now you need to work on the specs.

Possibly because I'm not. We needed quick, easy and effective DIY costumes in case we didn't like it.

Come on, a closet trekky at least.

It's those short skirts and black silk stockings. Admit it.

Or did you go as Data ?

Come on, a closet trekky at least.

It's those short skirts and black silk stockings. Admit it.

Or did you go as Data ?

No. DS9 is the closest I got. Now if Bab5 had been an option....

Odd thing is I never watched any of those. Only the occasional Star trek. Not my kind of thing.

But 'Solaris' may be my all time favourite sci-fi film.

I was a bit goth metal in my youth. This stemmed from reading Victorian era books and an interest in folklore and horror. Recently, at 45, my goth girlfriend chose to point out that the things I buy for the house are more steampunk. I knew of steampunk, but hadn't really explored it. But I looked at the things I like, antique wildlife prints, antique globes, old clock faces (albeit on printed card in cheap clocks bought from B&M, all I can afford). My love of brass and nauticalia. And I took a look at my own personal history. The books that made me fall in love with the late nineteenth century and prewar twentieth, of course, were by Jules Verne and HG Wells, with a bit of Conan Doyle thrown in, and a handful of others. So, I don't know, but I guess I have to come out of the closet as a bit steampunk now. A lot of the current incarnations of the genre are a little on the silly side to me. A few too many gears stuck to things, a bit too baroque. Anyway, I recently been listening to some music regarded as steampunk, not a genre as such but a varied thematically connected bunch of approaches. Most is dreadful, but I've found a great liking for Abney Park. So begins my own personal steampunk adventure.

Back