• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Ah, you're right--I'm trying to read reviews and background information only after watching. The exception is I kind of use the cast list to determine which I fancy next.

I started on The Reptile last night and it was very promising, but it had been a long day and I couldn't keep my eyes open, so I stopped at about halfway and will do a complete re-watch on Friday or Saturday.

First impressions:
  • Heavily inspired by The Hound of the Baskervilles.
  • Massive similarities with Hammer's own Plague of Zombies--clearly they shared sets.
  • That said, this is more traditionally paced with at least one 'blind'.
  • Michael Ripper and Jacqueline Pearce are excellent.
  • John Laurie is simply playing a more off-the-wall Pte Frazer!

The Reptile (1966)

reptile-blu-ray-movie-title.jpg 09_Hammer09_Reptil_Screenshot03.png reptile1.jpg ripper.jpg Reptile-The_02.jpg reptile 01.jpg Reptile B.jpg the-reptile-1.jpg

I've finally gone back and watched this and found it very satisfying. As mentioned above it's very Conan-Doylish but with a glaze of orientalism that can't help but make you think of Sax Rohmer. And, indeed, I found that hodgepodge of Eastern elements rather good: some name-dropping geography, spicy cooking, Indian music and the satisfactorily racist subtext that to 'become one of them' is to become a cold-blooded monster that would strike down its own and cannot naturally survive in this green and pleasant land. There are a couple of jumps to be had here, but in truth there's much more of the inherent creepiness of the scenario (shedding skin, hibernating, feeding,).

I mentioned in my earlier aperçu that there was a 'blind' at work here: that the villain is not indelibly villainous and there's a man behind the man; well, had I watched on a couple of minutes more, I would have discovered that the young lady beside the man is also the beast hiding behind the man--so to speak. I guessed the fact that Pierce was the eponymous nasty before the actual reveal, and her campy love for birds and kittens should be more than enough of a hint for savvy viewers. Noel Willman was excellent as (Dr Franklyn) the acerbic and secretive father (an academic who fell in with the wrong crowd while researching unspeakable rituals), and his hyperactive diction was an effective nod towards the psychological strain of a man going (soon to have gone) mad. Michael Ripper is again excellent as our guide around the locale (the local landlord); Jacqueline Pierce is again sensual and attractively clad (except when grey and bitey); the main couple--the newcomers--satisfactory--although as a Grenadier Guardsman you'd have thought he'd be a bit more physical when push came to shove (he does issue a few threats).

There are, it must be said, a few moments of dubious dialogue: Ripper just about gets away with, 'They don't like strangers in these parts'; Willman's only poor delivery is 'My lovely Anna' (no wife: hints of incest or merely possessiveness?); and John Laurie sounds like a loon when he wails ''tis an evil place!' (or words to that effect). Anna's keeper--the mysterious Malay--pretty much did nothing more than stand and stare menacingly, sometime seen, sometime not, and his dialogue was a mite simple. I should have liked to have seen more of his interaction with the reptile (we get only ritualistic chanting) and perhaps a few allusions to his cult. You might recognise the actor who plays him (Marne Maitland) from The Jewel In The Crown. All these points, however, are minor quibbles in a great little standalone film.

Yet another accidental fire (in the same house as Plague of Zombies): this is a ludicrously overused motif in Hammer films--at least there were no curtains.

Verdict: more creepy Cornwall with a dash of spice: 8/10.

Not sure where to go next. I have since acquired The Curse of Frankenstein (1957) and The Mummy (1959) in addition to the box set. I saw the former about twenty-five years ago, so it may be time for a re-evaluation.

Edit: query: did Franklyn actually throw the kitten in the fire or is the quick cut simply meant to imply that he might have done it or was thinking of doing it?

Tempted by this one, too:

i have a strong recollection of it being called merlin mews, only seen it once as a kid, clearly recall asking my dad what mews meant ...

Any recommendations for the next film?

Edit: I see GNC suggested The Gorgon upthread.

Twins of Evil is underrated (you don't need to have seen The Vampire Lovers and Lust for a Vampire to appreciate it).

I saw that years ago on the BBC, but it might be time for a refresher.
Cushing is always watchable no matter what he's doing.

It might interest hammer fans and forteans that I discovered today, via Google search, Hammer is looking to revive Quatermass. In what form, I'm too tired to explore. But I always found the character timeless and compelling, and I'm sure the outlines of old serials could be modified for the modern age, just as new technology could inspire entirely new ideas for his revival.

It might interest hammer fans and forteans that I discovered today, via Google search, Hammer is looking to revive Quatermass. In what form, I'm too tired to explore. But I always found the character timeless and compelling, and I'm sure the outlines of old serials could be modified for the modern age, just as new technology could inspire entirely new ideas for his revival.

That would be terrific - as long as they don't let Russell T Davies anywhere near it.
I wouldn't want to see the grumpy and vaguely misogynistic, but incredibly intelligent and perceptive old professor turned into some politically right-on, gender-bending, Kung-fu kicking super-hero.

I still think you all are getting mixed up with Joss Whedon.

Back