• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Creature Filmed In Water, South Carolina

It looks a lot like a bird, but I think no bird can hold its breath for that long (even birds that do a lot of diving).
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Otherwise, a cuttlefish or sea slug might fit the frame.

It looks a lot like a bird, but I think no bird can hold its breath for that long (even birds that do a lot of diving).
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Otherwise, a cuttlefish or sea slug might fit the frame.
Cuttlefish or sea slug would be my guess as well, or something along those lines. Swear I've seen one before in clearer water.

Looks like it’s an Atlantic Black Sea Hare - a type of sea slug.

From Friday's Weekly Weird Newsletter

I first saw this story last week as simply a case of a fairly unusual animal sighting. A person filmed an approximately foot-long creature swimming in an interesting way flapping its long fins. They sent it to wildlife officials, who, disappointingly, didn’t know what it was. The answer about its likely identity was included in the text (at the very end, of course, which most people might miss) but in the subsequent days, the story got carried across worldwide webpages. The REAL headline should have read “Non-native sea hare makes a visit to South Carolina, surprising observers”. Instead, we get “What on earth is this creature swimming in South Carolina?” or “What the heck is that?! Wildlife officials stumped”. Another important detail is that the animal, a kind of marine mollusk, is not typically in these waters but the warming ocean temperatures mean it’s venturing farther north. https://www.wcnc.com/article/life/a...lina/275-f5b45f74-2520-4831-bfb4-d9495879f0e4

I'm sorely tempted to start a website for just posts of news stories and responses about strange creatures. I would contact actual experts who seem to have no such problem getting at least to genus-level identification. This mass guessing by uninformed people is such an internet thing. It's incredible how a basically non-story, based on misinformation or no attempt at information, is worldwide news. Yet, I guess it has always been so, just slower.

In these cases it often surprises me that information so easily discovered is ignored. The mainstream press has no interest in spreading accurate knowledge of the natural world. When I read about easily identified animals, or lemurs described as marsupials and ferrets described as rodents, I find myself thinking, 'These people are writing their articles on Internet capable computers, right?'

In these cases it often surprises me that information so easily discovered is ignored. The mainstream press has no interest in spreading accurate knowledge of the natural world. When I read about easily identified animals, or lemurs described as marsupials and ferrets described as rodents, I find myself thinking, 'These people are writing their articles on Internet capable computers, right?'
It’s about clicks isn’t it? If something goes viral with a few million views it’s probably worth money to somebody. Media sites featuring the story get more hits which must benefit them as well. Everyone wins.

Facts are boring & spoil the party.

We do see pretty much the same reaction with almost anything. 'Strange creature filmed on Ring Doorbell camera!' When anyone with two working eyes can see it's just a dog running past and any anomalies are artefacts of a cheap camera. Or 'Real Ghost sighted at local park!!' which turns out to be pareidolia from some greenery and a plank of wood.

The headline is all. Anything underneath it is jibberjabber.

It’s about clicks isn’t it? If something goes viral with a few million views it’s probably worth money to somebody. Media sites featuring the story get more hits which must benefit them as well. Everyone wins.

Facts are boring & spoil the party.
I know. But sometimes it seems the general public want mystery where there isn't any and simple facts when the reality is more nuanced. Personally, I enjoy facts where there are facts and mystery where there's mystery.

I know. But sometimes it seems the general public want mystery where there isn't any and simple facts when the reality is more nuanced. Personally, I enjoy facts where there are facts and mystery where there's mystery.
Hence what I said above, about things that are blatently obvious being made into 'mysteries'. People want scary stuff and the unknown and will manufacturer it out of shreds of 'that's a bit odd' and 'I know what it really is, but it looks a bit like...'

There seems to be two social phenomena going on with these stories: First, the "Mysterious" headline-grabbing angle. The creatures seem bizarre to most people who have no idea about the diversity that exists in nature that isn't typically right under our feet. Or, in the case of normal animals on Ring or trail cams, we fail to recognize visual glitches that make the object appear unusual. It's a spectacle and so it's entertaining.

But the second phenomenon is related to social media - the inevitable parade of commenters who respond to the story. Although they are entirely unqualified, they do not hesitate to make guesses on the identity, some of which are ridiculous. These situations, like most online commenting, give people who like to engage an opportunity to chime in with no downsides. Unfortunately, lazy reporters regularly skim the comments for the most outrageous or the most plausible-sounding explanation to print instead of asking people who actually might know. How many times have you seen Tweets or comments quoted in "news" articles? A lot. That's not credible information but it gets widely circulated.

Social media has allowed opinions to be "news". And the need for continual, interesting news content means that someone's interesting, but not actually newsworthy, observations get presented in the guise of "news" particularly if it has an associated visual to go with it.

Maybe a third thing: I see appearing more often is the local wildlife officials admitting to not knowing what it is and creating a false mystery. Either they didn't make a reasonable examination of the options, they are very poorly trained, or they deliberately want to create attention for themselves (such as the Amarillo zoo creature from last year).

Back