• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Crimes

Stout fellow.

A man has been fined in New Zealand for driving under the influence of alcohol on a motorised cool box, it's reported.

According to the Stuff.co.nz news website, Lani Hunt admitted drinking and driving after being stopped by police riding a motorised drink cooler.

Police stopped Mr Hunt after they spotted him driving the petrol-powered chilly bin down a road in North Island city of New Plymouth, the website reports.

He pleaded guilty at the New Plymouth District Court on 15 February and was fined NZ$500 (US$370; £263). He was given no driving disqualification for his antics.

Mr Hunt is not the first person to have been stopped by the police for being intoxicated while driving a ride-on cooler. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-43072501

I think the surrounding circumstances qualifies this as a strange crime.

Police in the south Indian state of Kerala have arrested two people after a video of a mob lynching a man accused of theft went viral.

Footage of the incident horrified Indians, along with images of people taking selfies while watching the man, who was tied up, being killed.

The victim was identified as a tribesman who lived in the area.

Police told the BBC that they were actively searching for other people involved in the murder.

Senior police official Prateesh Kumar said a team had rushed to the spot in the state's Palakkad district after receiving information that a man was being attacked.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-43165745?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Bizarre!

BOSTON (AP) — Authorities say a Massachusetts trolley driver paid a man $2,000 to attack him while wearing a Halloween mask so the driver could fraudulently collect workers’ compensation and disability insurance.

A Suffolk County grand jury on Wednesday indicted Thomas Lucey on charges of insurance fraud, workers’ compensation fraud, misleading a police investigation and perjury.

Prosecutors say the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority driver reported the man pulled him out of a trolley shortly after midnight on Oct. 30, 2016, and punched him repeatedly. The attacker wore a mask and carried a plastic pumpkin.

https://apnews.com/a6b89852b9e74f5d...low&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Oddities

The employers of a Filipina maid found dead in a freezer in Kuwait have been arrested in the Syrian capital Damascus after a manhunt lasting several weeks.

Joanna Demafelis, 29, was found frozen in her employers' apartment more than a year after she was reported missing.

Both Nader Essam Assaf and his Syrian wife Mona are being held on suspicion of murder, officials said on Saturday.

Mr Assaf, who is a Lebanese national, was transferred to Beirut but his wife remains in custody in Damascus.

On Saturday, a Lebanese judicial official said the couple had left Kuwait and made a "very brief stopover" in Lebanon before travelling on the neighbouring Syria.

"Lebanon has asked Kuwait to pass on [Mr Assaf's] police record," the official added.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43177349

She took him off the menu.

A "psycho" carvery waitress who stabbed the restaurant's chef to death after luring him to her home has been jailed.

Georgina Henshaw, 36, from Chelmsley Wood, Solihull, sent texts saying she planned to kill Philip Rolph, 65, telling a friend she was "gonna lure him over and ruin him".

He was found stabbed in the heart in his car outside her flat last July.

Henshaw was found guilty of murder at Birmingham Crown Court and jailed for at least 16 years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-birmingham-43217434

There has been a spike in these sort of crimes.

Officials in a central Florida town say they are trying to nail a “Mad Nailer” who is deliberately scattering roofing nails along the portion of U.S. 1 that goes through their community.

Bill Lindlau says the nails are being left in the roadway intentionally in Oak Hill, where he is a city commissioner.

“I have a public service announcement,” he said on Facebook Wednesday. “There seems to be a ‘Mad Nailer’ operating in Oak Hill. He/she is throwing nails out at intersections along US1. It has been going on for some time.”

The nails have been responsible for flattening a number of tires, include one belonging to the wife of Oak Hill Mayor Doug Gibson, Fox 25 Orlando reported Thursday.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...ails-on-a-portion-of-floridas-us-1/ar-BBKjm19

It's probably just a negligent tradesman who has these nails rolling around in the back of his truck. They're just falling out every now and then.

It's probably just a negligent tradesman who has these nails rolling around in the back of his truck. They're just falling out every now and then.

He can't get much carpentry done if his nails have all disappeared from his truck. Which he drives around with the doors open.

He can't get much carpentry done if his nails have all disappeared from his truck. Which he drives around with the doors open.
Well...I once drove up to a roundabout to turn right, only to find a pile of nails strewn across the road everywhere. I had new tyres. I had no option but to drive over them, because there was no way to reverse and use a different route.
The vehicle that had left the nails behind? Gone!
Thankfully, on that occasion, my tyres sustained no damage.

I'm talking about a truck with a tailgate. They sometimes leave the tailgate down.

Well...I once drove up to a roundabout to turn right, only to find a pile of nails strewn across the road everywhere. I had new tyres. I had no option but to drive over them, because there was no way to reverse and use a different route.
The vehicle that had left the nails behind? Gone!
Thankfully, on that occasion, my tyres sustained no damage.

I'm talking about a truck with a tailgate. They sometimes leave the tailgate down.

The fact this "has been going on for some time" indicates malice is at work.

And all because of the theft of a BB gun.

FORT PIERCE — A man who crafted a bomb inside a whiskey bottle and blew it up in another man's backyard was charged with a crime Wednesday, investigators said.

Scott Frederick Wegener, 55, of the 500 block of Wendell Road, was charged with possession or discharge of a destructive device.

More: Early-morning SWAT training, explosions startle Port St. Lucie residents

An anonymous caller Wednesday warned Wegener had detonated an improvised explosive device and was threatening it again, according to Wegener's arrest affidavit.

The caller said Wegener, nicknamed "Spider," was in a dispute with someone over the theft of a BB gun and had offered to pay a friend to crawl under the man's home to plant an IED.

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/news/c...man-after-explosive-detonated-city/432210002/

Gave him a clippers around the ears.

A barber shaved a 10-year-old boy's head as a form of "punishment and humiliation", a court heard.

Abdulrahim Omar, 21, from Bedford, was arrested after the boy called police to say an electric razor had been used to shave off his hair.

Luton Crown Court heard Omar had done it to teach the boy a lesson because he had been using a dangerous razor.

He pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm.

Prosecutor Martin Mulgrew told the court Omar had laughed at the boy.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-43486531

Ruff justice.

A man bit a "clump of fur" out of a dog's neck minutes before he died while being restrained in a convenience store, an inquest has heard.

Clive Beeson, 46, of Dudley Road, Cambridge, was found unresponsive at the One Stop shop in Fen Ditton, in December, 2014.

The hearing, at Peterborough town hall, was told Mr Beeson was first held down by a worker who feared for his life.

He had thrown milk around the shop and smashed wine bottles, it was said.

The dog's owner, Sebastian Stanley, 45, told the court he was aware of Mr Beeson - who was not wearing any shoes - "acting peculiarly" behind him.

"He started running towards me and jumped on top of my dog, hugging it," he said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-43503365

Really reads like a TV drama.

A police inspector has been found guilty of murdering his wife and dumping her body in a lake.

Darren McKie, 43, denied murdering his wife Leanne but admitted manslaughter towards the end of his trial.

Mrs McKie, 39, a detective constable, was found strangled in Poynton Lake in Cheshire on 29 September.

Jurors at Chester Crown Court deliberated for almost two days before reaching a majority verdict. McKie will be sentenced on Tuesday.

The couple, who both worked for Greater Manchester Police (GMP), had financial problems and owed more than £100,000, the court heard.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-43493327

Car deliberately runs over children, odd indeed.

A teenage girl was seriously hurt when a car was driven deliberately into a group of children in Glasgow.

The children, aged between 12 and 14, were standing on the pavement near shops in Castlemilk at about 15:30 on Saturday afternoon.

A man drove his silver Vauxhall Astra at the group, hitting five of the children before driving off.

A 14-year-old girl is in a serious but stable condition. Police are treating the incident as attempted murder.

Four of the others - three girls aged 12, 13 and 14 and a 12 year-old boy - were treated for minor injuries either at the scene, or at local hospitals and have since been released.

The incident happened at Stravanan Road and the man drove off towards Birgidale Road. There was a passenger, another man, in the car at the time.

There was no suggestion that the incident was terrorism-related.

Det Insp Peter Sharp said: "This vehicle was deliberately driven at this group of children and as such we are treating this incident at attempted murder.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43532397

He looks as if he would shag a corpse.

_92968466_richardford.jpg

A prisoner jailed for 45 years for threatening to kill people and have sex with their corpses has had his sentence reduced to 12 years.

Richard Ford, 39, was serving 30 months for possessing a knife when he wrote threatening letters from his cell at HMP Nottingham in January 2016.

He appealed against his sentence on the basis of an "extraordinarily low IQ".

Court of Appeal judge, Sir Brian Leveson, said the sentence imposed in 2016 was "entirely disproportionate".

Ford, who has spent most of the last 14 years in jail, passed a series of notes to prison officers in which he threatened prison guards, police, a judge and his ex-partner.

The notes included crude drawings depicting his intentions.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-43556747

Do you? I'd have said it wasn't nearly long enough. :freak:

They were threats which he was in no position to carry out. It is quite possible that he should be the subject of a committal order though. I fear he may be a few cowboys short of a posse.

True. I did get my sentencing guidelines from the photo..
That's a great line, but I do fear there's an element of truth to that - not about you, but about the erroneous factors that can help decide people's guilt or innocence. That said, I have met a man who committed a double murder for which he's serving time in Broadmoor, and he will probably (hopefully) spend the rest of his life there or in a similar institution. And he looked like the sort of person who would murder his parents, which is what he did...

That's a great line, but I do fear there's an element of truth to that - not about you, but about the erroneous factors that can help decide people's guilt or innocence
There is and I am sure research has been done.

I seem to remember a TV programme years back which was an audience participation thing. You had to watch a fake trial and phone in with whether the defendant was guilty or not. There was a north south divide (Iforget whether UK or Scotland)but the twist was that people in the north saw a different defendant. It was a young clean shaven man vs an older man with a broken nose and tattoos on his face and so on. More people thought tattoo face was guilty.

Animal rights protester killed a heron to save a duckling by ripping open the larger bird's stomach to free prey.

heron-grey-420x510.jpg

As the expression ‘nature red in tooth and claw’ suggests there is a cruel inevitability to life and death in the animal world.

So quite what a Welsh animal lover was thinking when he tried to rescue a tiny duckling which had just been eaten by a heron is open to question.

More puzzling still is the fact that in order to save it from its natural fate he cut open the heron and pulled the terrified duckling from its stomach.

The effect was, rather predictably, to kill the heron, although the duckling survived relatively unscathed.

The elderly man was arrested by North Wales police, but later released with a caution.

North Wales Police's Rural Crime Unit described the man as “vulnerable and elderly”.

maximus otter

Back