• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

... And why the American patriot connection in song?

Read Vardoger's quoted text (post 511). The 'macaroni' mentioned in Yankee Doodle derives from satirizing dandies rather than pasta.

Read Vardoger's quoted text (post 511). The 'macaroni' mentioned in Yankee Doodle derives from satirizing dandies rather than pasta.

Yeah, I understand that, I just didn't know why the macaroni dandies were so called. Also, the ditty made famous by James Cagney paid tribute to the effeminate dandies, but why would that make him a real life nephew of his Uncle Sam?

"after seeing a photograph of [Audie] Murphy, "America's most lavishly decorated soldier of World War II", on the cover of Life magazine, Cagney "got in touch with the hero and invited him to come and live with him in Hollywood". The actor then told the press this was "an act of patriotism on his behalf" but he "had seduction on his mind".

Lurid Tales Available Here!

Nearly as good as John Wayne in a dress!

Actually, tbh, no story can please me more than John Wayne answering the door* in a dress! :rofl:

*It's the "answering the door," bit which cracks me up, for some reason. What he did in private was his own concern. :)

Now, food and drink, where were we? . . .

Last edited:
Reads like the authors consumed a shitload of Tijuana bibles as research. Some of it seems to be true, but a lot is farfetched even for a shag-happy location like Hollywood down the years! The Nick Ray stuff is accurate, I have read that other places, and James Dean put it about a lot, but James Cagney as a secret Rock Hudson-alike is hard to swallow! Wait, I'll rephrase that...

"after seeing a photograph of [Audie] Murphy, "America's most lavishly decorated soldier of World War II", on the cover of Life magazine, Cagney "got in touch with the hero and invited him to come and live with him in Hollywood". The actor then told the press this was "an act of patriotism on his behalf" but he "had seduction on his mind".

Lurid Tales Available Here!

Nearly as good as John Wayne in a dress!

Actually, tbh, no story can please me more than John Wayne answering the door* in a dress! :rofl:

*It's the "answering the door," bit which cracks me up, for some reason. What he did in private was his own concern. :)

Now, food and drink, where were we? . . .
Hollywood Babylon? More like Hollywood Sodoma. ;)

I've bought a couple of pigs feet and will be following this recipe either tonight or tomorrow .. weird to me but I bet they're dead tasty ..

Some swear trotters are a delicacy so I bought a couple in Morrisons a year or two back. They need a long time for the collagen to break down and there is precious little eating on them so I have not been tempted by them since.

If I did get one, I think I would stick some other stuff in the pot - perhaps some sausages, later in the cooking.

I have not tried them roasted. :)

I was given pigs' trotters to eat as a kid, told they were a big treat. As I was rarely allowed much meat I ate them. They were just the last joint or so though, nothing like as much of the leg as is shown on the video.

There's a funny scene in the fillum Chariots of Fire, where the Jewish runner gets off with an English rose who treats him to her favourite meal of a huge stack of... pigs' feet. Always makes me laugh.

Anyone eaten chicken feet?

I have tried it on two occasions and cannot get on with it. To me it seemed like skin, bone and fat. My Chinese friends insist it is not fat but a nutritious jelly. I told them when I eat chicken I only want meat and they told me Chinese people have a looser definition of meat. Pure fat would be called fatty meat. And the name for chicken feet as a dish is Phoenix Claw.

Anyone eaten chicken feet?

I have tried it on two occasions and cannot get on with it. To me it seemed like skin, bone and fat. My Chinese friends insist it is not fat but a nutritious jelly. I told them when I eat chicken I only want meat and they told me Chinese people have a looser definition of meat. Pure fat would be called fatty meat. And the name for chicken feet as a dish is Phoenix Claw.
An old friend once watched Evil Dead 2 in an Indian cinema and fried chicken feet was/were the snack of choice so he told me ... he said when the scenes got very intense, the audience were throwing the bones at the screen out of respect so he joined in .. :cool: .. I wish I'd been there.

there is a large Chinese restaurant and shop near where i used to live, i went in there a few times for a look as you do and amongst other "weird" stuff for sale were cockerel combs... yeah the red flappy bit off its head.... now far be it from me to slag it off but what the hell would you do with those?? ( i have eaten some weird stuff including meal worms, grass hoppers, wood lice etc etc)

there is a large Chinese restaurant and shop near where i used to live, i went in there a few times for a look as you do and amongst other "weird" stuff for sale were cockerel combs... yeah the red flappy bit off its head.... now far be it from me to slag it off but what the hell would you do with those?? ( i have eaten some weird stuff including meal worms, grass hoppers, wood lice etc etc)
I would comb cockerels lovingly ..

I'm not sure about eating the feet of a bird or animal. Not enough meat and too much dirt.

Swifty was having pigs' feet yesterday. I don't think he has reported back on that experience. :huh:

Swifty was having pigs' feet yesterday. I don't think he has reported back on that experience. :huh:
You were right about there not being much meat on them James although they were tasty .. I was hoping the skin would turn into crackling, I put enough olive oil on them but no, the skin was more rubbery although that might just mean I didn't cook them correctly .. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them again.

You were right about there not being much meat on them James although they were tasty .. I was hoping the skin would turn into crackling, I put enough olive oil on them but no, the skin was more rubbery although that might just mean I didn't cook them correctly .. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them again.
Perhaps battering them and deep frying may have made them more crispy?

Yesterday was the crab and lobster festival in Cromer, they also have loads of small stalls offering free samples of weird and wonderful jams, chilli spreads and cheeses .. a few years back, I tried and bought some lavender cheese which was amazing but sadly they weren't there this year .. so lemon and apple chilli spread on crackers and rhubarb jam and the like went into my face, if they can think of it, they make it into jam around here :) (also, the Mrs's boss's Dad makes the best homemade marmalade you've ever had)

Perhaps battering them and deep frying may have made them more crispy?
I boiled them for two and a half hours then brushed them in oil and baked them for another two hours, I wouldn't want to goo up my fryer though.

A few years ago, I found baked tarantulas on sale in Fortnum and Masons. They weren't the huge, hand sized ones we immediately imagine, more palm-sized. They came in a round, clear plastic packaging and were priced at about £10 each. The label recommended them as an accompaniment to beer, and advised against eating the fangs. Hairs could be seen detached and loose inside the packaging, so I was reminded of a travel blog post I read years before describing hair balls as a side effect of eating them.

Has anyone tried them?

I have always had a problem with spiders. But while being repelled, I am also drawn to them, fascinated by something I find horrifying. Once, at a hostel in South Africa, I was alone in the TV room and watched a nature video they had about South American tarantulas. Unlike the small, Fortnum and Mason ones, these were the really big ones you think of. At one point, some tribesmen who venerate tarantulas, caught some and carried them around on their belts (legs tied up above, excess hairs blown off the body, as these are irritant if they get in your eyes or nose). At dinner time, they started to prepare them for cooking and I remember my arms and legs squirming as I sat watching, as if I would tie myself up in knots.

They killed the tarantulas by stabbing them in their exposed bellies with thorns. You could see one squirting something out its hind as this happened. Then they twisted off the round thorax as this would not be eaten (but if it was a pregnant female, they would squeeze out the green jelly eggs into a leaf, which would be folded up and placed next to the campfire, cooked up as a bonus omelette).

The tribesmen only ate the legs, it seemed. The program commentary said that one full sized tarantula would be enough for one person.

A few years ago, I found baked tarantulas on sale in Fortnum and Masons. They weren't the huge, hand sized ones we immediately imagine, more palm-sized. They came in a round, clear plastic packaging and were priced at about £10 each. The label recommended them as an accompaniment to beer, and advised against eating the fangs. Hairs could be seen detached and loose inside the packaging, so I was reminded of a travel blog post I read years before describing hair balls as a side effect of eating them.

Yum. I'm thinking of having some beer tonight..it'll wash down the hairballs.

Has anyone tried them?
Yes - not from Fortnum and Masons, and most definitely not costing £10 each. They are a fairly common street food in Cambodia, and I bought a bag of them from a street vendor in Phnom Penh. They are actually surprsingly nice, and in the tradition of all slightly unusual food, they taste of chicken. Seriously.

Back