• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

Sentimentalists for the Great British Banger tend to relish the succulence of the product, derived from the unholy combination of wheat crumb and lard! :sneaky2:
Indeed, I hate the EU for forcing this delicacy off our plates.

There are preserved meats, especially dry-cured sausage and salami, which boast of containing more than 100% meat!

British sausages, I think, are more or less unique in their use of fillers, often wheat crumb but increasingly the drier, gluten-free rice-flour.

Sentimentalists for the Great British Banger tend to relish the succulence of the product, derived from the unholy combination of wheat crumb and lard! :sneaky2:

In Australia, we call sausages, 'mystery bags' - which seems appropriate somehow.

Last edited:
I now quite fancy a beef sausage! Though, of the three, only the Waitrose recipe would suit a wheat-dodger like me and I don't have a local Waitrose!

There are, I know, plenty of Kosher and Halal products in this area, though they appear to use a chicken-based mix . . . :thought:

Last edited:
So that's British + Stralian ones then!

Here, the definition of how-much-lard seems to hinge on the name on the pack. "Pork Sausage" has to contain a bit more meat than just "Sausage." Beware just "Sausage!"

This blog is several years old but I doubt if things have changed for the better. Just no longer 48p!

"Beef Sausage" seems to be extinct now as a mainstream supermarket variety. :mcow:

Come Down Under. The majority of sausages here are beef based. Some supermarket ones are (I imagine) not much better than pet food, others however are sublime.

Come Down Under. The majority of sausages here are beef based. Some supermarket ones are (I imagine) not much better than pet food, others however are sublime.
South Africa does some fine sausages too. Boerwors ftw imo. Not to underplay Aussie sausages tho.

Videos of Chinese (or some have suggested Thai?) people eating live mice and cooked bats.

Eating live animals is cruel, and who knows what harm they could do to you?

And bats?

Just nothing appetising about them.

#coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-dips-baby-mouse-bowl-sauce-eating-ALIVE.html

I sure as hell don't fancy eating one, but in the interest of balance I'll add that what one considers appetising is massively culturally variable.

For instance, my daughter's favourite food is seaweed soup (with beef, rice and garlic). Her cousin (my niece) thinks that this should barely be considered food, yet she has been scoffing olives since the time she learnt to walk (she's of half-Italian descent).

There are other foods that they would both place identically on the appetising/disgusting scale, but many of the differences between them are solely due to exposure at a young age.

I sure as hell don't fancy eating one, but in the interest of balance I'll add that what one considers appetising is massively culturally variable.

For instance, my daughter's favourite food is seaweed soup (with beef, rice and garlic). Her cousin (my niece) thinks that this should barely be considered food, yet she has been scoffing olives since the time she learnt to walk (she's of half-Italian descent).

There are other foods that they would both place identically on the appetising/disgusting scale, but many of the differences between them are solely due to exposure at a young age.

It's generally considered polite to wait until the animal is dead before eating it.

I like this bit -

Because the suction cups on the arm pieces are still active when the dish is served, special care should be taken when eating sannakji. The active suction cups can cause swallowed pieces of arm to stick to the mouth or throat.[9] This can also present a choking hazard for some people, particularly if they are intoxicated.

Flying foxes/fruit bats are considered quite a normal food in Fiji, often eaten as a soup or stew. Would I? No.

The broadcaster Esther Rantzen was once arrested for obstruction while handing out bat stew to passers-by in a London street market .
It was a stunt for her programme That's Life!

I saw it on on TV at the time. Rantzen offered people little portions of the stew which they ate, then told them that it was made of. Some were nearly sick on the spot. There was definitely some vigorous spitting-out.

To me, it looked like a nasty, dirty trick, and taught me NEVER to accept food I didn't know the name of!

Ah, takes me back to all those salty rim jokes of my Margarita period!

Meanwhile, did I ever tell you about the Belinda mug, which a certain school used to keep in reserve for Ofsted Inspectors?

As a visiting teacher, I was told that any mug was safe to borrow, except Belinda's; that was reserved for Ofsted. The Belinda mug had a special savour, somewhat related to the name.
I gather Ofsted bods are advised to bring their own flasks now! :hoff:

Last edited:
Ah, takes me back to all those salty rim jokes of my Margarita period!

Meanwhile, did I ever tell you about the Belinda mug, which a certain school used to keep in reserve for Ofsted Inspectors?

As a visiting teacher, I was told that any mug was safe to use, except Belinda's, reserved for Ofsted. This had a special savour, somewhat related to the name.

I gather Ofsted bods are advised to bring their own flasks now! :hoff:
Belinda Lee?

adinner01.jpg

Back