• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

welsh for 'Cook'

It does mean baked! I only knew it from the phrase Pob hwyl*, which means all-the-best, since it also means all! :)

*I had just the one Welsh lesson. You only need one, really. They tell you about the "mutations," so you are free to make it up, just as they do! :hide:

Last edited:
My grandmother swore by the therapeutic powers of bread-and-milk, which she called "pobs!" She might put some syrup in it, if she was being reckless.

Bread turns up in a lot of thrifty Italian soup recipes, such as Pancotto. I see the site mentioned by uair01 has another page devoted to them. They seem to offer move flavour than the Eastern European versions! :rup:
Bread and milk sounds disgusting. In my head i see a slice of bread floating in a puddle of milk.

But my cursory research shows its *chunks* of, probably dry leftover, bread floating in hot milk. Which with sugar and/or butter sounds a bit better somehow. I mean, add a beaten egg and bake it and its crude bread pudding!

Oh and the internetz thinks pob might just mean peices-of-bread, depending on how northern you are.

Bread and milk sounds disgusting. In my head i see a slice of bread floating in a puddle of milk.

But my cursory research shows its *chunks* of, probably dry leftover, bread floating in hot milk. Which with sugar and/or butter sounds a bit better somehow. I mean, add a beaten egg and bake it and its crude bread pudding!

Oh and the internetz thinks pob might just mean peices-of-bread, depending on how northern you are.

My mother can't bear pobs/bread and milk after being given it as a child. The consistency made her feel sick.

I've only had it a few times and it wasn't so bad.

Although it doesnt sound too disgusting to me i am fairly sure it wouldn't work if i was poorly. Unless the purpose was to make me vomit. :puke2:

It used to be seen as something naughty( mustn't tell anyone) in our'ouse...(The Potteries) until we moved to county Durham where it was common the day before pay day.

Tear gas ice cream from Hong Kong:
Scrumch

Sounds like it's actually pepper flavoured. Can't imagine it would be a huge seller, but there are those chilis people eat for a bet.

Good news for foodies with an exotic bent - the Texas Testicles Festival is still "on"! ...
They’re Nuts: Despite COVID, Texas Testicle Festival Still on for August 1 in Fredericksburg

The Texas Testicle Festival plans to move forward with its August 1 start date, welcoming all adventurous and COVID-19-free foodies ...

The ball-fest held a previous event in January, where 150 attendees gathered to celebrate the nuances of various animal testicles in culinary applications. ...

Claire Ball — no, we're not fucking joking — an organizer with the event, said the fest was hoping to build on the 150 attendees who showed up in January. However, it's tempered its expectations because, as of last Thursday, it's only sold 20 tickets.

"As a testicle organizer, our new normal requires us to stay on the ball with the government at all levels, some of which change their minds daily," Ball told MySA in an email. "... We’ve actually considered turning it into a testicle protest — protests seem to be allowed all over — but we just don’t have the balls.”

At the January event, the festival served up fried turkey, lamb and veal testes. Those who prefer not to snack on gonads can purchase crawfish, lobster tail, burgers, beer, wine and liquor at the August event. ...

FULL STORY:
https://www.sacurrent.com/Flavor/ar...tival-still-on-for-august-1-in-fredericksburg

Woman invents Durian probiotic beer: https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/peop...rcher-combined-durian-and-beer-create-healthy

It occurs to me that plenty of beers are already made using lactobacillus, so she may be reinventing the wheel here. They tend to be sour and unpopular styles like lambic and gose - however, if palatability is a concern, why open the can of worms that is durian-flavour?

In other durian news -- the fruit, known informally in Chinese as the 'cat shit fruit' because of its distinctive odour -- is mistaken for literal cat shit by an expert on the subject.

Last edited:
The Dunkin' Donuts chain is introducing two coffee-flavored breakfast cereals.
Some coffee with your coffee? Dunkin’ launching cereal line

As if 2020 wasn’t weird enough, Dunkin’ is getting into the cereal game.

The Massachusetts-based coffee and donuts empire is releasing two new breakfast cereals based on two of its most popular coffee drinks: Caramel Macchiato and Mocha Latte.

The team-up with Post Consumer Brands, the makers of Honey Bunches of Oats, Shredded Wheat, Raisin Bran and other familiar cereals, is expected to hit grocery shelves later this month.

The companies say Dunkin’ coffee concentrate is added to the cereal, which consists of little crunchy spheres mixed with flavored marshmallow bits. A serving has about as much caffeine as a tenth of an 8-ounce cup of coffee. ...

Reaction on social media has ranged from enthusiastic anticipation to horrified yet intrigued.

Skeptics -- and there are many -- see another sign of the apocalypse while others see redemption for an otherwise dreadful year. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/9fd4dbce445d4f26aa7e053d14be7492

A round of applause for the skill it would take to make this, but . . .
covid-19-corona-virus-3d-cake.jpg
https://www.themakery.com/product/covid-19-cake/
"This Corona flavored cake (the beer, not the virus, come on guys) with a Bavarian Lime Filling and Buttercream frosting is sure to please any ones taste buds."

Beer and butter cream frosting? . . . and what kind of limes come from Bavaria? and it should be one's, with an apostrophe, come on guys . . .

(Oh! You internet culture writers with your weird sweet tooths, your botanical ignorance and your unprofessional grammar!)

Yeah, cultural differences! So much lost in translation -- makes you wonder how trading ever came to be.

The Disgusting Food Museum in Malmö (Sweden) has added an exhibit of disgusting alcoholic beverages.
Phew! Revolting spit and poo brews shown in Swedish exhibit

Desperate for a drink? There is spit-fermented wine, liquor fermented in prison toilets, and a strong Scottish brew served from the mouth of a taxidermied squirrel.

The Disgusting Food Museum in Malmo, Sweden, which has served up displays of bull testicles and maggot-infested cheese, is now introducing a drinks menu in the form of a temporary exhibition opening Saturday.

Museum director Andreas Ahrens said he wants to encourage people to examine their relationship with alcohol by showing the extreme measures people have taken to concoct mind-altering brews. ...

“People are very desperate to get drunk around the world,” Ahrens said. “So whenever we find ourselves in a situation where there is no alcohol, we get quite inventive and we’ve been doing this for millennia.”

Most of the drinks on display are beverages that are commonly consumed somewhere in the world but which would revolt outsiders unfamiliar with the taste.

One is an ancient Korean beverage concocted for medicinal purposes from fermented child’s feces and rice. ...

Other beverages on display include chicha de muko, which is spit-fermented corn meal beer from Peru, a Ugandan gin made from fermented bananas, and a wine made from an overripe orange fermented in the tank of a prison toilet. ...

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/070cd70da66b8059d493a876009dbc1c

The Disgusting Food Museum in Malmö (Sweden) has added an exhibit of disgusting alcoholic beverages. ...

This Live Science article about the disgusting booze exhibit adds the following notes and details ...
Squirrel beer, ant gin and poop wine are served up in Disgusting Food Museum's new exhibit

For the new three-month-long exhibit, which opened to the public on Sept. 5, "we have found the strangest, most interesting and challenging alcohol types from the world," museum director Andreas Ahrens said in a statement. ...

For example, a rice wine called Ttongsul, once used as a medicinal remedy in South Korea, is brewed with fermented human feces. "The thought alone is enough to get most people to gag," Ahrens said. Unsurprisingly, this so-called poop wine "smells horribly bad during production," he added.

Whale testicle beer, a seasonal product produced by Brewery Steðji in Iceland, incorporates testicles "that are cured according to an old, Icelandic tradition, lightly salted and then smoked," brewery co-owner Dagbjartur Arilíusson told Icelandic news site Vísir in 2015. "We put a lot of effort into this and it's a long process," he said.

And Anty Gin — each bottle steeped with about 62 red wood ants (Formica rufa), is the world's first gin brewed with insects, according to manufacturer Cambridge Distillery. The ants lend "sharp citrus notes" to the beverage, the product website says. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.livescience.com/most-disgusting-alcohol.html

Squirrel beer? What some people will do for a drink!

Johannes_Vermeer_-_Het_melkmeisje_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Whats wrong with this peanut butter?

(In my household peanut butter is what you put on bread for the delectation of the Garden Birds. they get it every day)

Back