• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

A friend of a friend got so drunk that he ruptured his oesophagus when throwing up.
It was a long time before he could speak again, he was that ill.
This is a common accident among habitual heavy drinkers. It's dangerous and tricky to treat.

I know about this because a relation who works in the local operating theatres told me that every Bank Holiday, carnivalgoers who'd overdone the beer at the town carnival would be admitted to hospital with oesophageal ruptures.
She showed me photos taken by the medical camera, not of patients but of inside a colleague's fist, her handbag and so on.
A highly entertaining conversation. :)

Cannabis-laced chocolate was sold on a Derbyshire market.
The seller has been arrested.

Mansfield: Arrest as 'mystery' market chocolate makes children ill

A woman has been arrested after chocolate sold on a market stall made people ill.
Police launched an investigation following reports people fell unwell after eating unlabelled chocolate bought at Mansfield Market in Nottinghamshire on Saturday.

They included a 10-year-old boy who was taken to hospital.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said the arrest was linked to the sale of a chocolate product called "Cali-Gold".
It added it was working with relevant authorities to find out whether there had been wider distribution of the product.
Nottinghamshire Police said the 63-year-old woman was detained on suspicion of administering a noxious substance.

Cannabis-laced chocolate was sold on a Derbyshire market.
The seller has been arrested.

Mansfield: Arrest as 'mystery' market chocolate makes children ill
This is unfortunate for the market trader. There is nothing on the packaging that says that it has a cannabis content.
If you look online for images of Cali-Gold, the packaging is different and it mentions that cannabis is an ingredient.
I suspect that the market trader had bought an old lot with an old packaging style.

This is unfortunate for the market trader. There is nothing on the packaging that says that it has a cannabis content.
If you look online for images of Cali-Gold, the packaging is different and it mentions that cannabis is an ingredient.
I suspect that the market trader had bought an old lot with an old packaging style.
Yup, that's more or less what I thought too.
In fact I recognised the brand name as being a cannabis product which puzzles me as I take no interest in the stuff. :chuckle:

AFP News Agency
@AFP
Over 700 Airbus employees in France have fallen ill since their annual company Christmas dinner, health authorities said Friday.

Can't make this work conceptually.

GCiqy_BW4AAzIAE.jpeg.jpg

Can't make this work conceptually.

View attachment 72523
'tis the season for strange cheeses. :nods:

Ten quid a kilo though, for supermarket cheese? :thought:
I'll be popping along to our local Posh Cheese At Regular Prices Outlet later, see what goodies they're offering.
Their fancier products are made a few miles away on the formerly Dangerous Straight.

Last edited:
This might be strange to many, though I've eaten and enjoyed them and plan to do so again:

Restaurants are urged to serve 'nutritious' grey squirrel meat after cull

Grey squirrels should be served in restaurants, according to a wildlife campaign group.

Exmoor Squirrel Project, which is seeking to eradicate grey squirrels on Exmoor, so they can be replaced with native red squirrels, says the non-native creatures could be served up in stews, pies and kebabs.

Organisers are also in discussion with two restaurants about serving dishes containing grey squirrel.

4376502588_62e5a4fe38.jpg

The project is encouraging local homeowners and landowners to stop feeding grey squirrels, volunteer to monitor woodland for them, and in some cases, with the proper training from the project, set traps in gardens or on land to catch the squirrels.

Conservationists say red squirrels, which have lived in the UK for around 10,000 years, could become extinct here within a decade because of the invasive grey squirrel.

The grey squirrel is the main reason for their decline. As greys are larger and stronger, they are able to take a larger share of available food and steal from red squirrels' food caches.

Greys also carry the Squirrelpox virus, which doesn't cause them any harm but is fatal to red squirrels.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...rged-serve-nutritious-grey-squirrel-meat.html

maximus otter

I have commented elsewhere on this board that back in the early 80’s, a pub near to Gatwick, the black horse at Horley if memory serves me correctly, used to serve up a fine squirrel and walnut pie at lunchtime.

Hugh Fearlessly-Eatsitall mentions restaurants of which he knew that had it on the menu as “Flightless partridge.”

:evillaugh:

maximus otter

Hmmmm…….I’m raising a sceptical eyebrow - do pathologists cast moulds of wounds? You couldn’t just sneak in as a chocolatier to pour wax on corpses.
I agree and I did wonder that. Most or all modern autopsies are recorded via video. I cannot see a pathologist going back after hours making moulds of wounds would happen or that one would turn those moulds into chocolates would happen either. It's an incredible amount of effort for something that has no market value.

Then there's the proof that is is true? Maybe it's a marketing ploy to sell chocolates on another website. Or maybe the artist is after his five minutes of fame?

Hmmmm…….I’m raising a sceptical eyebrow - do pathologists cast moulds of wounds? You couldn’t just sneak in as a chocolatier to pour wax on corpses.
You could be right although that Gunther chap has plastinated entire corpses as well as body parts in the same of art, albeit with the permission of the deceased. Making moulds of wounds would more likely be achieved by brushing alginate over them IMO. Maybe the artist wasn't the person making the casts, these could have already been made for training reasons.

I've eaten mealworms long ago.
Meh.
The exoskeleton (?) has more 'impact' than anything in the middle.

I'll repost this here...
This is why we should not eat the bugs:

Mmmm….. pork flavoured coffee, with slice of pork garnish

A great idea from Starbucks for the Chinese market.

The drink combines Dongpo Braised Pork Flavor Sauce with espresso and steamed milk, with extra pork sauce and pork breast meat for garnish, according to the Starbucks delivery app.

Photos of the drink, posted on Chinese social media platform Weibo by the Shanghai Starbucks Reserve Roastery, show a drizzle of dark red sauce atop the latte foam — with a square slice of pork on a skewer resting on the mug rim.

the drink brings “traditional New Year customs into coffee,” and creates “unexpected savory and sweet flavors.” The latte is available at Starbucks Reserve stores across the country.

A bargain at just 68 yuan [$9.45]

1708429403374.png

Back