• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things That Scared You (But Aren't Obviously 'Scary')

As a kid i was petrified of Punch and Judy shows,apparently i used to scream blue murder until i was removed from the audience! are they still a thing?? - its not exactly pc is it?
Was anyone else freaked out by that awful bl**dy 'rabbit' Hartley hare from Pipkins? it still gives me the creeps now lol

Apparently the real horror is amongst the spectators now!

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2021/aug/04/punch-and-judy-professors-decry-aggressive-audiences

It was the Near and Far Theme tune for me, but I think that is genuinely terrifying.

I have remembered another one. In among my parents photographs was one of a man leaning over the side of a ferry about to be sick. It was at quite an odd angle and it wasn't immediately obvious what it showed and until I knew what it was it didn't bother me, but as soon as I was told what it was it terrified me. The more I think about it, the more it unsettles me. Why had they kept it? Neither of them were on it, there wasn't anything interesting in the background, they didn't know the man. I haven't seen it for decades and I am too scared to ask if my mum still has it but every now and then I awake in the middle of the night thinking about it.
It just shows you how the memory plays tricks. I was at my mum's in October and we went through some old photos and this was among them and it's nothing like how I remember it. It does show a man leaning over the side of the ferry, but he just seems to be looking at the sea. He doesn't have a distorted face which in my my memory he did. In fact the photo is rather dull and not remotely scary. I am partly relieved, but also a bit disappointed. There is still the mystery of why my mum has kept it but all told it's just a rather boring photo. Oh well, at least that's one fewer thing to keep me awake at night.

I was terrified of the Queen record another one bites the dust, for no reason I can now fathom. I recall playing on the stairs one afternoon when it came on the radio and I ran off and hid in a cupboard. On another occasion I apparently placed a cardboard box over my head to make it go away :chuckle:
It wasn't the lyrics, more the rhythm, a strange, creeping sense of doom or something terrible about to happen.

I'm not sure what to make of it now, as an adult, but it isn't a favourite track of mine. Can't say I particularly have a problem with it either. It shall remain a mystery. I thought Freddie Mercury was quite beautiful so it certainly wasn't his fault.

I was terrified of the Queen record another one bites the dust, for no reason I can now fathom.
It wasn't the lyrics, more the rhythm, a strange, creeping sense of doom or something terrible about to happen.
I don't share your fear, but I can understand it. It was so different from the operatic style of most Queen songs.

The lyrics could also be rather frightening, though. Whereas with "Rhapsody", the musical style rather hides the confession of murder (though a friend of mine felt, when young, that other parts of the song were directed at her; and I can imagine that some people might find the video disturbing).

I recall an old website which used to classify the various network IDs, according to how scary they were.

Thames, Granada, Anglia etc.

Maybe half the horror lay in the unsteady soundtracks of these much-played clips of film.

More wow than flutter, in the days when wow was a bad thing. :yellowc:
My son watches YouTube videos about that all the time. It does my head in hearing bizarre TV logos from the 70s blaring all day. He's 8!

It was the Near and Far Theme tune for me, but I think that is genuinely terrifying.

I have remembered another one. In among my parents photographs was one of a man leaning over the side of a ferry about to be sick. It was at quite an odd angle and it wasn't immediately obvious what it showed and until I knew what it was it didn't bother me, but as soon as I was told what it was it terrified me. The more I think about it, the more it unsettles me. Why had they kept it? Neither of them were on it, there wasn't anything interesting in the background, they didn't know the man. I haven't seen it for decades and I am too scared to ask if my mum still has it but every now and then I awake in the middle of the night thinking about it.
Oh come on. You can't leave it there. Get that photo and post it here!

My brother was terrified as a child of Rolf Harris singing 'Down Came the Rain'. When it got to the 'thunder and lightning' bit, he would be inconsolable. Whereas for me it was the half-seen or the inadequately explained that would frighten me, which sounds more like @Jepra Peld's experience.

I think there's overlooking the essential issue:
There is irrational fear and there is a rational fear. We - over generations - have made rational fears irrational. And developed irrational fears too.
Yeah, sounds odd but let me explain.
Rats: associated with refuse and disease, these are actually clean and perform as nature's 'clean-up crew'. Like vultures. But the (past) rational fear of disease - indicated by rats - is now held irrational with our increased knowledge of the creature and likelihood of encounter. Fear of? Rational once but now not.
Spiders: depending on location, spiders may or may not be a real danger. But their appearance is considered unpleasant and parents behaviour informs the child so the child grows up not liking the appearance of a spider. This fear is close to being irrational as in most cases, there is no danger presented by said creature. Fear of? Rational in certain circumstances but now not.
Sharks: Aha! Sharks are dangerous therefore the fear of them is rational. While you are at risk from shark attack. If you are in no risk of shark attack then the fear of them is irrational. :) Fear of? See above.
I've heard explanations of those who fear spiders etc. that it's the appearance of them - the tail (?) in rats, the way they move in spiders. Now this is harder to rationalise.

I'm really interested in truly irrational fears. The "why are you scared of that" moment. Someone of my acquaintance has an absolute, gut-wrenchingly abhorrence of seeing ships sink, such as watching a film about the Titanic. Just can't bring herself to see it. She's been on ships, she's a good sea-traveler ... but it's the visualisation of it sinking that makes her almost faint. I posited that she's a reincarnation of someone who died in a sinking but, of course, I have no evidence of this. But it might be an interesting avenue to analysis of "irrational fears".
Bottom line is that I find it fascinating to examine what someone is feared of and why. :D
I have an irrational fear of topiary even if I just talk about it the hair on the back of my neck stands up

I think there's overlooking the essential issue:
There is irrational fear and there is a rational fear. We - over generations - have made rational fears irrational. And developed irrational fears too.
Yeah, sounds odd but let me explain.
Rats: associated with refuse and disease, these are actually clean and perform as nature's 'clean-up crew'. Like vultures. But the (past) rational fear of disease - indicated by rats - is now held irrational with our increased knowledge of the creature and likelihood of encounter. Fear of? Rational once but now not.
Spiders: depending on location, spiders may or may not be a real danger. But their appearance is considered unpleasant and parents behaviour informs the child so the child grows up not liking the appearance of a spider. This fear is close to being irrational as in most cases, there is no danger presented by said creature. Fear of? Rational in certain circumstances but now not.
Sharks: Aha! Sharks are dangerous therefore the fear of them is rational. While you are at risk from shark attack. If you are in no risk of shark attack then the fear of them is irrational. :) Fear of? See above.
I've heard explanations of those who fear spiders etc. that it's the appearance of them - the tail (?) in rats, the way they move in spiders. Now this is harder to rationalise.

I'm really interested in truly irrational fears. The "why are you scared of that" moment. Someone of my acquaintance has an absolute, gut-wrenchingly abhorrence of seeing ships sink, such as watching a film about the Titanic. Just can't bring herself to see it. She's been on ships, she's a good sea-traveler ... but it's the visualisation of it sinking that makes her almost faint. I posited that she's a reincarnation of someone who died in a sinking but, of course, I have no evidence of this. But it might be an interesting avenue to analysis of "irrational fears".
Bottom line is that I find it fascinating to examine what someone is feared of and why. :D
Equally what is fascinating is why some people are terrified to the point of phobia of things that ARE dangerous, and yet other people aren't. If fear of things like snakes, rats, spiders, sharks is an evolutionary advantage (to keep us away from things that might bite, maul, poison or otherwise harm us), why don't we ALL have the same innate revulsion?

Equally what is fascinating is why some people are terrified to the point of phobia of things that ARE dangerous, and yet other people aren't. If fear of things like snakes, rats, spiders, sharks is an evolutionary advantage (to keep us away from things that might bite, maul, poison or otherwise harm us), why don't we ALL have the same innate revulsion?

Fear of snakes is both the most common phobia and also the easiest to induce in people who don't have it. Broadly speaking most of us have this. It's common in other higher primates a well.

There is also an area of the mid-brain called the superior colliculus which plays a big part in looking for and detecting 'snake-like' things, and freezing movement is such a way as to stop one walking into/over snakes before you're consciously aware of them. It's reasonably well documented phenomena and I've experienced this myself.

I thoroughly recommend the below for a very compelling argument regarding higher order primates and snakes...

The Fruit, the Tree, and the Serpent: Why We See So Well​

Lynne A. Isbell

The worldwide prominence of snakes in religion, myth, and folklore underscores our deep connection to the serpent - but why, when so few of us have firsthand experience? The surprising answer, this book suggests, lies in the singular impact of snakes on primate evolution. Predation pressure from snakes, Lynne Isbell tells us, is ultimately responsible for the superior vision and large brains of primates - and for a critical aspect of human evolution.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fruit-Tree-Serpent-Lynne-Isbell-ebook/dp/B005J4FZP2

I'm not 'irrationally' afraid of snakes but nothing will induce me to handle a snake for no good reason - and don't get me started about people who keep them as pets. Urgh.

Fear of snakes is both the most common phobia and also the easiest to induce in people who don't have it. Broadly speaking most of us have this. It's common in other higher primates a well.

There is also an area of the mid-brain called the superior colliculus which plays a big part in looking for and detecting 'snake-like' things, and freezing movement is such a way as to stop one walking into/over snakes before you're consciously aware of them. It's reasonably well documented phenomena and I've experienced this myself.

I thoroughly recommend the below for a very compelling argument regarding higher order primates and snakes...

I'm not 'irrationally' afraid of snakes but nothing will induce me to handle a snake for no good reason - and don't get me started about people who keep them as pets. Urgh.
This is a case in point. I have absolutely no fear of snakes and will cheerfully handle them. So - why? Why do I lack that fear that could keep me safe?

If fear is induced by evolution (natural selection), it would only be natural for it to recede whenever the environmental pressure starts to diminish.

As more and more people live in urban environments, encounters with snakes (and dragons !) become rarer. So newborn babies never meet a deadly snake in their life. They never get bitten and as a result, they end up making their own brave babies, living happily ever after.

In the meantime, the guy who stills fears that a sneaky snake might hide inside the dress of the beautiful girl nextdoor, will probably back away from courting the lady. As a consequence, he won't make babies. And a few generations after, the overall population will no longer fear snakes, as the fearful ones will have gone exctinct or become cryptids.

The good thing with this is that I do not fear dragons. So I still have a chance to reproduce.

Sorry ... This was a silly post :-/

This is a case in point. I have absolutely no fear of snakes and will cheerfully handle them. So - why? Why do I lack that fear that could keep me safe?
I will guess that your area has no venomous snakes. Ontario (pretty sure all Canada) has one venomous snake, the Massasauga Rattlesnake. My area is slightly southern to its range and I don't camp "up North" so have never seen one. Snakes startle me, but I'm not overly frightened. I have handled garter snakes, to move them out of harm's way, with few qualms.

When I visited New Orleans several years ago and went on a swamp tour (boat), I asked if there were Water Moccasins there - they can swim - the answer was yes. I know that I wouldn't randomly handle a snake in another region unless I knew exactly what it was.

When Mr. R hears screams and shrieks, he comes running with a shoe and paper towel -
In the hot humid summers we have, centipedes (thousand leggers) come running up the walls, and they are the most horrible and frightening things in the world to me!

When Mr. R hears screams and shrieks, he comes running with a shoe and paper towel -
In the hot humid summers we have, centipedes (thousand leggers) come running up the walls, and they are the most horrible and frightening things in the world to me!
Those are good bugs, so try to be a little less scared and send them outside. Yes, I know, they tend to appear from nowhere and usually in the shower :omg:. Lol

Those are good bugs, so try to be a little less scared and send them outside. Yes, I know, they tend to appear from nowhere and usually in the shower :omg:. Lol
I am against killing anything, I even put the spiders outside, I would be able to pick up a mouse if they didn't run so fast, but these things are so huge, I can't even bear to look at them, Mr. R has to take care of it!

I will guess that your area has no venomous snakes. Ontario (pretty sure all Canada) has one venomous snake, the Massasauga Rattlesnake. My area is slightly southern to its range and I don't camp "up North" so have never seen one. Snakes startle me, but I'm not overly frightened. I have handled garter snakes, to move them out of harm's way, with few qualms.

When I visited New Orleans several years ago and went on a swamp tour (boat), I asked if there were Water Moccasins there - they can swim - the answer was yes. I know that I wouldn't randomly handle a snake in another region unless I knew exactly what it was.
The drawback to this is that my mother was terrified of snakes. My best friend is terrified of snakes, many of the people I work with are repulsed by, or terrified of snakes. We were all born and brought up with no venomous snakes.

Case from Being a Human by Charles Foster:
When I say, 'That's a tree!' I'm lying or deluded. It's no such thing. I've never seen a tree.... I once met an adult who did see trees, and it excited and scared me so much that I bolted straight for the airport, leaving my bags and my girlfriend at a mountain monastery.

Two things from when I was very young.

Jets. We were near Biggin Hill and if a jet went over I used to run in in a blind panic. Therewas a fear that I would run headfirst into a wall or somesuch so in the end I was held in the garden and the jet pointed out to me after which I was fine. No idea what I thought they were. :dunno:

I'll reveal the other at the end! I had had a bad dream, I was in the dark and these strange shapeless pale things were brushing against me (Think large non stingy jellyfish) I woke up and went running in to mum (dad IIRC was in hospital at the time). I woke mum, said I'd had a bad dream and was told I could come in with her and was lifted into the bed. As I was lifted in a pale soft shape brushed against my legs!!
I was calmed down and went to sleep.

I never explained what I had dreamed but was just assured that it was only a dream. However I remember spending some nights laying in bed trying to see these things, telling myself that if they were dreams what was the thing that had brushed against me. I'd say I was nervous but not scared - after all they didn't bite or anything. I gradually forgot about it until I thought of it many years later and realised what you've probably guessed, the object that brushed against me was....

Mum's pillow which fell out of bed and brushed past me! What a prat, but in my defence I was about three and a half

When one of my brothers was very young, he had a comforter that had those 'glow in the dark' stars on it.
He would wake up in the middle of the night screaming, thinking that these glowing stars were spiders and bugs! At which point he would grab his pillow and jump into bed with our Grandmother. LOL!

When one of my brothers was very young, he had a comforter that had those 'glow in the dark' stars on it.
He would wake up in the middle of the night screaming, thinking that these glowing stars were spiders and bugs! At which point he would grab his pillow and jump into bed with our Grandmother. LOL!
Were they radioactive?:worry:

Back