• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strangeness Involving Chess & Chess Players

35 years ago our all girls school had a few young men teachers. One of them was single and was rumoured to date some of the older girls. He was fond of kissing the girls and giving them hugs on the excuse of them doing well in their work (as a sort of reward!!!)
One year after long vacation we came back to find that he had married the deputy head girl, so the rumours must have been true. ;)

Down to the time of the American Civil War (1860), on the westward-expanding US frontier, the young schoolmaster arriving in town fresh from normal school, was EXPECTED to pick his bride from among his seventh and eighth grade girls.

And it also worked the opposite way, with the young schoolmarm often selecting a big, strapping farmboy.

For millions of living Americans these people were only our grandparent's grandparents.

No exotic dancers involved here - yet! ;)

Teenager takes a year off to play chess
8:00am Sunday 22nd June 2014

FORGET travelling the world – this Brighton teenager has taken a year out to perfect his chess moves.
Varndean College student Erza Kirk dreams of becoming an International Chess Master.
So the country’s highest rated under 18 player has deferred his Science studies at the University of Cambridge to compete in tournaments across Europe.

The 17-year-old will leave his Fiveways home to play across the UK as well as in France and Spain.
If Ezra wins enough of those matches, he will achieve the title of International Chess Master.
He said: “It’s what every chess player aspires to be.”

Ezra began playing chess at a young age and competed in his first tournament at the age of five.
He said: “I started when I was three because my father plays so I watched him and caught on. I don’t ever remember not liking chess, I’ve never lived without it.”

Ezra believes that playing chess has helped him with numerous mental aspects at school and in life.
He said: “Having put so much work into my chess over the years, I know how great it can be. It’s always made me a lot quicker in decision making, all you do in chess is plan for the future.
“It’s helped me with maths as well, my mental maths is really good.”

Ezra also said he enjoys the social atmosphere at chess clubs and said chess players are a good group of friends.

He is running chess courses in August, aimed at beginners and intermediate players, which will cover the basics of the game and key strategies.
Ezra is also offering private tuition courses and is looking for tournament sponsors to help fund his chess year.

The Summer Chess Course will be held at Brighton and Hove Chess Club on Third Avenue in Hove from August 11 to 16.
For more information or to book a place on the course, email Ezra at [email protected].

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11292473 ... s/?ref=rss

After decades spent playing simultaneous chess, an 87-year-old Hungarian pensioner clinched a world record Sunday, by finally overtaking a total set by 1920s Cuban grandmaster Jose Raul Capablanca.

Almost 60 years since her first simultaneous games, on six boards side-by-side at a Chess Olympiad in 1957, Brigitta Sinka overtook the magic 13,545 number attributed to Capablanca (1888-1942), one of the world's best-ever players.

"I wanted to stop for a moment so everyone could reflect in memory of Capablanca," Sinka, a former top amateur, told AFP in a packed tent in a Budapest park where she played the record-breaking games.

"There were so many people waiting for me to move my pieces however, so I simply carried on," she added.

By late-Sunday, she was already well over 13,600 games -- clocking up over the week the final few hundred games needed to beat the old record -- before calling it a day. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbe...ts-simultaneous-chess-world-record/ar-AAcfF9V

Unsubstantiated rumors are swirling that a rapidly-rising chess star beat the reigning world champion by cheating - receiving signals from an accomplice via vibrating anal beads.
Elon Musk Responds To Wild Claim Chess Grandmaster Won Using Anal Beads

It's a weird time in the world of chess. When players aren't getting their fingers snapped by chess robots, they're offering to play naked to prove they didn't win against a top chess player by cheating. ...

On Sunday, 19-year-old Hans Niemann took on world champion Magnus Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup, and won using black pieces. The win was a surprise, but the real shock came a day later when the two were set to play again. Before that could happen, the world champ pulled out of the competition. In his announcement on Twitter, he confirmed that he had withdrawn from the competition, adding a link to a video of former Chelsea manager José Mourinho saying "If I speak I am in big trouble". ...

The ambiguous tweet didn't really clear up the mystery. However, other players – including chess streamer and grandmaster Hikaru Nakamura – speculated that Carlsen had withdrawn because he suspected Niemann of cheating.

Though Carlsen has not accused Niemann of cheating himself, there has been a lot of speculation around his decision to withdraw, with the wildest being that Niemann had cheated by using anal beads, which vibrate to convey moves to the grand master. Cheating in a chess game would not be easy today ... This hasn't stopped the anal bead theory, which has become a meme in itself in online chess communities. ...

Niemann's rise in the chess world has been impressive.

"He has gained the most rating points of any [grand master]-level player since 2021," as chess analysis blog Pawnalyze puts it, "by a lot". ...
FULL STORY: https://www.iflscience.com/elon-mus...-chess-grandmaster-won-using-anal-beads-65252

Musk's connection consists solely of his having tweeted about the anal beads conspiracy theory (re: alleged cheating).

The cheating allegation has been denied, though Niemann confessed he'd done some cheating in his youth. The anal beads theory is simply the most far-out and lurid speculative hypothesis anyone's offered so far.

It wouldn't take complicated coding to construct messages specifying recommended next moves.

Hmmm… The anal beads would have to have a small motor providing vibrations. Then you’d have to decide on how to notify move recommendations. Probably horizontal square firstly then vertical after, so D2 - D3 etc. Quite how you’d get this across via anal beads I’m not sure. Some sort of morse code possibly.

I hope they get to the bottom of it.

@EnolaGaia wrote: "Unsubstantiated rumors are swirling that a rapidly-rising chess star beat the reigning world champion by cheating - receiving signals from an accomplice via vibrating anal beads."

The cheek of it!

This Metro article adds the following tidbits ...
Chess fans speculated that anal beads could transmit messages from an accomplice who was watching the game being broadcast live online and consult an AI to transmit the perfect move.

However, it’s unclear if Niemann could be beating the tournament’s anti-cheating precautions, which include a 15-minute delay in the broadcast of moves and radio-frequency identification checks.

Apart from the ridiculous anal beads theory, people suspect that Niemann got his hands on Carlsen’s game plan ahead of time, thereby anticipating his surprise opening. ...
FULL STORY:
Chess world rocked by rumours of anal beads and artificial intelligence
https://metro.co.uk/2022/09/14/the-...randmaster-cheated-using-anal-beads-17370756/

Last edited:
Magnus promises to let it all come out.

World chess champion Magnus Carlsen has promised to say more "very soon" on the cheating scandal rocking the game.

Carlsen has made veiled accusations against Hans Niemann, who defeated him this month in a major upset, but has provided no evidence of cheating. But on Sunday, the Norwegian said he would release a statement on the saga gripping the chess world within days. Niemann, 19, has denied cheating in competitive chess and has accused Carlsen of trying to ruin his career.
The scandal began earlier this month after Carlsen, who is considered by many to be the greatest player of all time, was defeated by Niemann at the prestigious Sinquefield Cup - a shock result that ended the champion's 53-game undefeated run in classical chess. In response, Carlsen quit the tournament without explanation - despite there being six rounds to go - and published a cryptic tweet widely seen as raising suspicions of cheating against the American.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-63029602

Ill chosen words

A chess commentator has been sacked by the International Chess Federation for making sexist comments.

Ilya Smirin was broadcasting live during the ninth round of the Women's Grand Prix on Tuesday.

The Israeli grandmaster admitted on air he had said chess is "maybe not for women" - and also seemingly praised a woman for playing like a man.

He later told the BBC he did not want to hurt anyone and he loves and respects both chess and women.
Belarusian-born Mr Smirin - who was once ranked one of the world's top 20 players - was making his debut as an English-language commentator in Astana, Kazakhstan.

He was initially speaking about one of the competitors, Chinese chess player Zhu Jiner. She is a woman grandmaster, which is a separate, lower title to that of grandmaster.

All chess players - men and women - can become grandmasters, which is the highest title a chess player can attain, if they have a rating of 2,500 and above. The very top female chess players have this title.

The woman grandmaster title is only for women and requires a lower rating of 2,300.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-63062092

Industrial level cheating.

A chess player at the centre of a cheating row gripping the game "likely" cheated in more than 100 games online, according to an investigation.

Hans Niemann has been accused by world champion Magnus Carlsen of cheating, though no evidence has been presented. Now an investigation by Chess.com says it is likely Niemann has cheated "much more often" than he has acknowledged. But it found no evidence he had cheated in his game against Carlsen or in any "over-the-board" games.

The American has admitted cheating in informal games when he was younger but denies doing so in competitive games. The 19-year-old, who has been approached by the BBC for comment, has previously accused Carlsen and Chess.com of trying to ruin his career.

The scandal began last month, after Carlsen, considered by many to be the greatest player of all time, was defeated by Niemann at the Sinquefield Cup in a major upset. The Norwegian made veiled accusations of cheating against Niemann at the time before openly accusing him last week.

Now Chess.com has produced a 72-page investigation into Niemann's games on the site, which most of the world's top players compete on, including for cash prizes. The site, which has banned Niemann for alleged cheating, claims it is likely he cheated as recently as 2020, including in prize money events and against highly-rated "well known" figures in the game.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-63140246

A chess player at the centre of a cheating row gripping the game "likely" cheated in more than 100 games online, according to an investigation.

Hans Niemann has been accused by world champion Magnus Carlsen of cheating, though no evidence has been presented. Now an investigation by Chess.com says it is likely Niemann has cheated "much more often" than he has acknowledged. But it found no evidence he had cheated in his game against Carlsen or in any "over-the-board" games.

The American has admitted cheating in informal games when he was younger but denies doing so in competitive games. The 19-year-old, who has been approached by the BBC for comment, has previously accused Carlsen and Chess.com of trying to ruin his career.

The scandal began last month, after Carlsen, considered by many to be the greatest player of all time, was defeated by Niemann at the Sinquefield Cup in a major upset. The Norwegian made veiled accusations of cheating against Niemann at the time before openly accusing him last week.

Now Chess.com has produced a 72-page investigation into Niemann's games on the site, which most of the world's top players compete on, including for cash prizes. The site, which has banned Niemann for alleged cheating, claims it is likely he cheated as recently as 2020, including in prize money events and against highly-rated "well known" figures in the game.

I know I'm sometimes unexpectedly naive, but how can you cheat at chess? Palm an extra rook or two? Sneakily move a bishop horizontally?

I know I'm sometimes unexpectedly naive, but how can you cheat at chess? Palm an extra rook or two? Sneakily move a bishop horizontally?

In this case the suggestion seems to be he was receiving signals after possible moves were made by a computer.

His defence appears to be a variation on the classic "Yeah, sure, I've lied repeatedly in the past, but not this time. Honest. On my mother's life." viz. "Sure I cheated, but not for any proper games and certainly not lately. Honest."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/05/sport/hans-niemann-chess-cheating-allegations-intl-hnk-spt/index.html
Teenage chess grandmaster Hans Niemann “likely cheated” in more than 100 online matches, including ones with prize money involved, according to an investigation by one of the sport’s most popular websites.

The 72-page report by Chess.com was released on Tuesday, a month after controversy erupted at a top tournament when the world chess champion accused the 19-year-old American of cheating.

According to the report, first referenced by the Wall Street Journal, Niemann privately confessed to cheating to the website’s chief chess officer in 2020, which led to him being temporarily banned from the platform. The report said Chess.com closed Niemann’s account in September given his previous acknowledgments of cheating, suspicions about his recent play and concerns about the steep, inconsistent rise in his rank.
“While we don’t doubt that Hans is a talented player, we note that his results are statistically extraordinary,” the report said.

Niemann has previously admitted publicly to cheating in online matches at the ages of 12 and 16 but the investigation alleged he had cheated more recently.

Niemann has not responded to CNN’s request for comment.

Chess.com has millions of users and hosts more than 10 million chess games a day, according to its owners. To detect suspected cheating, the website uses software that flags suspicious moves by comparing a player’s moves to those suggested by a chess engine. Fewer than 0.14% of players ever cheat on the site, according to the report.

Neimann gives short interview.

A top chess player accused of cheating has insisted he is "not going to back down" after making his first comments on the scandal in nearly a month.

On Tuesday, a Chess.com investigation claimed it was "likely" Hans Niemann cheated in more than 100 games online. The 19-year-old American rising star had already been accused of cheating by world champion Magnus Carlsen.

Speaking on Wednesday after winning his US Championship game, Niemann said his victory was "a message to everyone".

In a news conference following a convincing win against 15-year-old grandmaster Christopher Yoo, Niemann was asked about the "elephant in the room" - a reference to the cheating scandal that has gripped the chess world.

Without addressing the allegations directly, Niemann said: "This game is a message to everyone. This entire thing started with me saying 'chess speaks for itself' and I think this game spoke for itself and showed the chess player I am. It also showed I'm not going to back down and I'm going to play my best chess here regardless of the pressure."

Niemann then cut the interview short after less than 60 seconds.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-63153281

There is actually an old book called Underhanded Chess that details many (mostly psychological) ways of gaining an advantage. I don't remember most of it, but one tactic to drive your opponent crazy was to jiggle each of your pieces while announcing "j'adoube", a perfectly legitimate way of saying "I'm just recentering this on its square."

Chess ‘cheat’ goes through full body scan at US Championships – including his bum

A teen chess champ accused of cheating got a full body scan — including his bum — before his latest tournament.

MR-P15-CHESS-COMP.jpg

A security guard checked out Hans Niemann and raised a laugh when he got to his rear.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6386433/chess-cheat-bum-scan-championships/

maximus otter

Opening move?

US chess grandmaster Hans Niemann is suing rival Magnus Carlsen for at least $100m (£89m) after the Norwegian world champion accused him of cheating.

In an ongoing scandal that has rocked the chess world, Niemann is also suing website Chess.com, which published a report saying he had probably cheated in more than 100 online games. Niemann says the defendants colluded to destroy his reputation and livelihood. Lawyers for Chess.com say there is "no merit" in Niemann's allegations.

In his filing, Niemann, 19, accuses Carlsen of launching a smear campaign against him in collaboration with Carlsen's online chess company Play Magnus, and Chess.com, which has agreed to buy Play Magnus. He is seeking compensation "to recover from the devastating damages that defendants have inflicted upon his reputation, career, and life by egregiously defaming him and unlawfully colluding to blacklist him from the profession to which he has dedicated his life", the lawsuit said.

Lawyers for Chess.com dismissed the allegations, and said the company looked "forward to setting the record straight on behalf of its team and all honest chess players".

Carlsen did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63338375

She scoffs at their scarf.

When one of the world's most promising chess players, 25-year-old Sara Khadem, decided to play at an international tournament without her headscarf, in solidarity with the protest movement in Iran, she thought a warning would be the worst that would happen to her.

Instead, she can't return to Iran - there are arrest papers waiting for her, and she now lives in exile in southern Spain, with her husband and one-year-old son.

She and her family asked the BBC not to reveal her precise location; their worry is that there may be repercussions even thousands of miles away from Iran.

Women in Iran are required to wear headscarves in public, even when abroad. But a few are choosing not to, in support of the women and girls spearheading the protests inside the country, following the death in custody of 22-year-old Mahsa Amini in September. One of them, the climber Elnaz Rekabi, was forced to recant and it is unclear what her situation is, now that she is back in Iran.

Sara Khadem said there was a slow evolution of her decision to play in the tournament in Kazakhstan in December last year without her headscarf. The contestants only wore them in front of the cameras, and she felt that was hypocritical. Given the sacrifices being made by the women and girls on the streets of Iran, some of them risking their lives, it was the least she could do, she said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-64631354

What's happened to the Niemann and Carlsen show?

Back