• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I've had many analogue wrist watches over the years. None last though. I rely on my phone for the time now.

My husband couldn't wear quartz run watches and could only wear wind ups. He'd ruin them. No, he had no metal gear.

I did see the effect myself. I had a quartz watch with a second hand, on my wrist. He only had to hold my wrist and within a minute, the second hand visibly started to slow and then it started to go backward. I didn't try this for long as I didn't want my watch ruined.
That's interesting. Paul's Mum could only wear digital watches (so opposite to your Husband I think?)
(I'm not sure if it made any difference what my boss wore. I think it was any watch iirc).

That's interesting. Paul's Mum could only wear digital watches (so opposite to your Husband I think?)
(I'm not sure if it made any difference what my boss wore. I think it was any watch iirc).
I think we may be talking of somewhat different things. I would refer to a digital watch vs analogue watch when describing the watch face.

Quartz watches are battery run, but with quartz crystal to allow for more accurate time keeping (than battery alone). Wind up ones are just that, no battery. I assume that he would have the same affect with just a simple battery run, because this is what he had told me when I wanted to test it out. I only had a battery run with quartz crystal watch because they kept better time.

I bought this book on SLI after witnessing it happen to a young guy in front of me as I walked down a lane at night:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SLIDERS-Streetlight-Interference-Hilary-Evans/dp/1933665475/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1680702136&refinements=p_27:Hilary+Evans&s=books&sr=1-2&text=Hilary+Evans

So perhaps there was some sort of personal magnetic field at play here interfering with that particular design of streetlamp? Or was it all a coincidence involving lights that often flickered off and on?
I got this book on Kindle some years ago and was a little disappointed that Hilary Evans jumped straight for psychokinesis as an explanation (IIRC) without considering possible physical explanations - I usually find his books very well argued. Without having more than a superficial knowledge of physics, I always thought the likely explanation lay in personal electromagnetic fields - the analogue lamp bulb being in an unstable state, just about being on, but requiring only a specific change in the local electromagnetic field to flip the lamp into an "off" state. I've no idea why only certain people would flip the lamp, and why passing cars etc. don't (perhaps they are passing too fast, or the specifics of the field relate better to biologically generated fields). My suspicions were only strengthened when upgrades to LED streetlamps stopped the effect from happening.

Last edited:
I got this book on Kindle some years ago and a little disappointed that Hilary Evans jumped straight for psychokinesis as an explanation (IIRC) without considering possible physical explanations - I usually find his books very well argued. Without having more than a superficial knowledge of physics, I always thought the likely explanation lay in personal electromagnetic fields - the analogue lamp bulb being in an unstable state, just about being on, but requiring only a specific change in the local electromagnetic field to flip the lamp into an "off" state. I've no idea why only certain people would flip the lamp, and why passing cars etc. don't (perhaps they are passing too fast, or the specifics of the field relate better to biologically generated fields). My suspicions were only strengthened when upgrades to LED streetlamps stopped the effect from happening.
My memory is that she needed a psychokinetic proof reader, too...

In some ways this phenomenon - which may have already died a gentle death due to lights being upgraded - reminds me of those RODs from back in the 90s.

Here is an example with photos:

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2019/01/skyfish-rods.html

Ultimately what seemed like a Fortean discovery of previously invisible 'sky fish' was found to be an artefact of insects interacting with new camera technology. Perhaps SLI is little more than noticing in certain circumstances that those old streetlights were often flickering on and off. I seem to recall they were especially 'flickery' after they had switched themselves on, and thinking about it that was time of day (i.e. dusk) when I witnessed this. So you have someone who does the same walk at about the same time each evening and begins to believe they are influencing those flickery lights.

My memory is that she needed a psychokinetic proof reader, too...

In some ways this phenomenon - which may have already died a gentle death due to lights being upgraded - reminds me of those RODs from back in the 90s.

Here is an example with photos:

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2019/01/skyfish-rods.html

Ultimately what seemed like a Fortean discovery of previously invisible 'sky fish' was found to be an artefact of insects interacting with new camera technology. Perhaps SLI is little more than noticing in certain circumstances that those old streetlights were often flickering on and off. I seem to recall they were especially 'flickery' after they had switched themselves on, and thinking about it that was time of day (i.e. dusk) when I witnessed this. So you have someone who does the same walk at about the same time each evening and begins to believe they are influencing those flickery lights.
In my experience related above, which continued over several years, the light flicking off wasn't random. I would occasionally wait at a distance watching it to see if it would go off, and it never did, only when I walked past. Interestingly, I never saw it switch back on, even after waiting for a while at a distance.

Back