Stuck-Tune Syndrome

Since hearing the song during the first season of - of all things - Gomorrah, I have been referring to stuck tune syndrome as 'a dose of the Wankelmuts'.

If you are prone to earworms do it don't whatever you do, listen to this do it. Seriously do it, do it just don't. do it, do it, do it, do it, do it, do it....

This happens to me at times of extreme fatigue or stress. I can recall staying in hospital when my daughter was very ill and couldn't get Neil Innis of the Bonzos "I'm the Urban Spaceman" out of my head.
This whole phenomenon was superbly illustrated in the 2003 docudrama "Touching the Void" in which a badly injured mountaineer took days to descend a mountain and became delirious with pain, dehydration and hypothermia. In one protracted, nightmarish scene he has a horrible, distorted and echoey version of Boney M's "Brown Girl in the Ring" permanently looping in his head.
Aaaaargghh! Now I'm singing Urban Spaceman in my head!

Vida Loca

Devoted Cultist
Got up this morning with the earworm of an old song my Grandmother used to sing to me when I was small. My Grandfathers clock. It just wont go away and not a song I ever bother about. I looked it up out of curiosity and it is a song from the late 1800s which means it was probably sung to my Grandmother as a child by her mother. Wonder if there is anything to it or just an annoyance. Will need to find a tune online to listen to and to cancel it out.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :)
Staff member
Anyone remember the old UK schools programme Picture Box? I'm awaiting the arrival of a similar box (a long felt want) and have the theme tune going as an earworm.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Played on an instrument made of bones! (true)
??? ... Where did you find a claim any instrument used contained bones?

The Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures group used the Baschet brothers' instruments made of metal and glass. To the best of my knowledge no organic materials were ever used in the Baschets' devices.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
??? ... Where did you find a claim any instrument used contained bones?

The Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures group used the Baschet brothers' instruments made of metal and glass. To the best of my knowledge no organic materials were ever used in the Baschets' devices.
Wow, I've heard for years whenever the tune is played on the radio that it was played on specially made bone instruments. Not true?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I'm not sure, because I'm not sure the version of Ménage used as the theme music for Picture Box was the same version the Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures recorded on their rare albums. I've never found any definitive statement as to whether it was or it wasn't. Neither have I seen anything suggesting the Lasry-Baschet Sound Structures employed any non-traditional instruments other than those constructed by the Baschet brothers or that the Baschet brothers constructed their sound sculptures using anything other than 'artificial' / 'manufactured' materials like steel, aluminum and glass.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Guess we're going to have to get us some bones and start replicating the sound to be sure!