• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Suggestions About Re-Organisation: Move & Merge Requests

rynner2 said:
ramonmercado said:
Even if you do a search it often doesn't turn up results. Not even when you know a thread exists and you use exact words from the title.
It's easy to misremember a title. The English language has so many synonyms.

But to find a person's name, enter the name and search on "topic title and message text", and "Display results as Posts". Works for me! :D

But I didn't misremember. The search function doesn't function at times.

They f*ck you up your Mum and Dad

Just searched for: they, your, they AND your

No results

ramonmercado said:
But I didn't misremember. The search function doesn't function at times.
They f*ck you up your Mum and Dad
Just searched for: they, your, they AND your

No results
Probably you overload the system by searching on such common words.
It's usually best to search on the most uncommon words.

But I must admit that searching on 'fuck' (or 'f*ck) fails to find that thread too! (Perhaps there's a censorship issue involved here - what say TPTB?)

But searching on 'Larkin' (as Posts) does turn up that thread - along with a few dozen others!

It's not always easy - but 'Sally Morgan' was!

Stuff is jumping around between the Jimmy Savile thread and the 'other one' with little rhyme or reason, And the Jersey childrens' home is now into the loop as well! In fact, the best case for a 'Paedo ring cover up' at present seems to be in relation to Jersey's Haut de la Garenne.

A heck of a Gordian knot to untangle! But I still think just one Savile thread would be simpler.

Think of the original 'Jimmy Savile' thread as Fortean Times and the other as Bizarre, Rynn... ;)

WhistlingJack said:
Think of the original 'Jimmy Savile' thread as Fortean Times and the other as Bizarre, Rynn... ;)
But my point was, some Bizarre stuff is being posted on the first thread, while some FT stuff is also posted on the second! And some of it reappears on the Jersey children's home thread too!

But it's all moot if threads are being closed. This means we can't report what the media say, as if FT is somehow different, more influential!

By all means delete dodgy posts, but thread closure seems a step too far.

Bit odd.

If there were a trial on - presumably of someone other than Jimmy - then I would understand, but every tiny revelation is going to be all over the media - why can't we play?

Presumably because it's now a criminal investigation which could accuse living people. With lawyers.

gncxx said:
Presumably because it's now a criminal investigation which could accuse living people. With lawyers.
Those lawyers will be protecting their clients from false claims, and chasing any libel that gets into the mainstream media.

But if the CPS say that a Mr. ****** ******* has a case to answer, and the police charge him, then (in the normal course of events) this fact and the subsequent trial will be reported in the media.

If some of these reports are echoed on here, we're saying nothing that is not already in the public domain. (And if anyone here should by chance have some info that is not in the public domain, I hope they'd take it straight to the police.)

In short, I think the Mods and/or Dennis lawyers are being paranoid by closing threads. As I said earlier, by all means censor or delete any dodgy posts, but in discussing a topic that gets a higher readership in one day in the tabloids than this MB has had in its entire existence is just totally out of proportion.

This is not a B***** O* M********* situation, where FTMB and 'he who cannot be named' were at direct loggerheads on a thread here, and legal action was threatened. In the case of Savile and others of his ilk, we here at FTMB are just bystanders, repeating and commenting on what we read in the paper today. (And to anyone here who is not just a bystander, I say again, take it to the Police.)

So let's have free speech, not blanket censorship. If court cases can't be reported here, the Savile threads will be a minority of those hundreds of others to be closed! :twisted:

For the moment though, the situation regarding the threads in question is under review.

P_M

When the news of the most recent developments broke yesterday, I was the only mod here and, in the absence of any clear guidelines from the mag as how to deal with threads concerning active criminal investigations, decided to take the precaution of locking those threads while clarification was sought. If the mag says it's okay, the threads will re-open.

Fair enough. Understand your position.

I know - we're just waiting for editorial clarification. As Mods we don't have a problem with it as such (within reason), but on things like this we have to pass it upstairs.

Soon as we have some clarity we'll let you know and take the appropriate action.

Following discussions, the Savile threads are both reopened. I've posted to each with the following:

..given the potential legal minefield it could throw up, they have to be moderated very closely and carefully. As a result, posts within these threads may be removed or edited, and threads may be closed with no warning. I am taking responsibility for these decisions, so if you do have issues or wish to complain, please direct them to me. I would ask that all posters please think carefully about how they post on this issue.

I understand this is frustrating, but the mag has no appetite for potential litigation, so this is the only way we can reopen the discussions.

Now the JS threads are re-opened, perhaps other posts on the theme that recently appeared in various other places can be transferred to their proper home. (The Reminders thread needs pruning anyway!)

And I still think that Paedo Ring should be in the JS thread. If Savile was in a Ring that's the right place. If he wasn't (and there's scant evidence so far) it's still the right place, since these other claims have only come to light as part of investigations into Jimmel himself.

rynner2 said:
Now the JS threads are re-opened, perhaps other posts on the theme that recently appeared in various other places can be transferred to their proper home. (The Reminders thread needs pruning anyway!)

I wasn't aware of any posts in other threads (if I had been, there might have been some warnings handed out :roll:). If it's appropriate, then we'll merge them - any pointers as to where they are?

And I still think that Paedo Ring should be in the JS thread. If Savile was in a Ring that's the right place. If he wasn't (and there's scant evidence so far) it's still the right place, since these other claims have only come to light as part of investigations into Jimmel himself.

That simply can't happen. The mag has to to tread very carefully indeed with regard to subjects like this. It's easier for us if threads keep on topic rather than changing focus with every new rumour.

WhistlingJack said:
rynner2 said:
That simply can't happen. The mag has to to tread very carefully indeed with regard to subjects like this. It's easier for us if threads keep on topic rather than changing focus with every new rumour.
But the whole ruddy point is that these two threads are running in parallel! They are both a series of stories or comments about JS - there's nothing to distinguish them! :twisted:

There may be issues of litigation about what people might post, but I don't see that as any justification for allowing two separate threads on the same topic.

Ryn may have a good point there.
Having 2 threads doubles the likelihood that something contentious (and possibly litigious) may be said...

There is actually some reasoning behind running two threads. We've done it before: for example two London Bombing ones, one for events, one for the wider conspiracy, which allowed us to if necessary take one offline whilst still allowing an outlet for opinion on the other. The fact that both Savile threads are thriving and are following their own courses, albeit parallel ones tends to vindicate that.

That said, it's relatively early days, and info is coming in thick and fast. I'm keeping an eye on them, and if they start converging when the momentum slows a bit I may close the Conspiracy one and shift posts between them - again, if and when criminal charges start getting lobbed about there may be stuff that has to be removed or shifted into cold storage.

I'm not holding a cardinal view on this, but for the time being, we'll go with the two threads.

stuneville said:
I'm not holding a cardinal view on this, but for the time being, we'll go with the two threads.
..both of which are now reporting the arrest of a well-known convicted paedo rock star, this time by UK police.

..which could in turn validate having a seperate thread devoted to a wider group that encompassed Savile. There will always be crossover (it's a colossal Venn diagram if you look at it that way), with a sizeable common element, but there are still distinct elements.

Wait until the predicted arrests of other celebs happens (Glitter was expected) and I'll review it then.

Back