The Bible (Miscellaneous)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I think part of it comes from that Christian culture of "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." which is very negative and dismissive. But also a deep part of culture ..
Can that famous quote be pinned on/attributed to the Christian culture? ..

https://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/13-12.htm

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I dunno - its from t'bible..? I had to look it up. My bible knowledge is just about pub quiz level.
Mine too and I claim to be a Christian. I went for a walk through the woods with one of our pastors (not for religious reasons, we were going to get some fish and chips) and I told him when he asked me that I tried to live by the 10 commandments when I could .. he asked me what they all were. That's a conversation I wish had never been started, he's a diamond of a man though but I got owned.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Mine too and I claim to be a Christian. I went for a walk through the woods with one of our pastors (not for religious reasons, we were going to get some fish and chips) and I told him when he asked me that I tried to live by the 10 commandments when I could .. he asked me what they all were. That's a conversation I wish had never been started, he's a diamond of a man though but I got owned.
The non-coveting of the neighbour's wife/oxen is a doddle.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Both of my neighbour's wives are mooses .. joking aside, I thought it meant don't desire things you don't deserve .. don't lust after stuff you shouldn't lust after ..
Depends how it's taken. Fundamentalists can be very literal whereas, as you say, a more general reading of it is about the temptations of envy.

Which is it though? Do we discard the bits written to address the specific issues of the time, between the 16th and 13th centuries BC? Or do we reinterpret them to cover how we live now? So where is the truth? How can we obey laws that don't apply to us? Who has the right interpret them? How do we know if they are capable? etc

Actually I'm sorry I asked this because the only answer is an aeons-long theological debate.
I will still post it though, to show my willpower.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
The farm down the road has some really lovely cows, and I sometimes pass their field when I'm out on my run and look over the hedge thinking how nice the cows are. Sometimes they come up to the hedge and blow through the hawthorn at me, and it's all so lovely and rural and sweet. I hope I am not inadvertently coveting John's oxen (they are dairy heifers though, so it's unlikely, but it's the intent rather than the oxenic actuality, isn't it?)

Kryptonite

Vague Apparition
Reaction score
I am lucky in being saved from temptation by the fact that my neighbour doesn't own any oxen.

He's got a cracker of an electric bike though that I covet on an almost daily basis.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Never discuss shop talk with the religious, they won't listen to logic...

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I am lucky in being saved from temptation by the fact that my neighbour doesn't own any oxen.

He's got a cracker of an electric bike though that I covet on an almost daily basis.
You're on safe ground - the bible doesn't mention electric bikes. No hell for you in this respect but try to avoid killing him or shagging his wife.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
Depends how it's taken. Fundamentalists can be very literal whereas, as you say, a more general reading of it is about the temptations of envy.

Which is it though? Do we discard the bits written to address the specific issues of the time, between the 16th and 13th centuries BC? Or do we reinterpret them to cover how we live now? So where is the truth? How can we obey laws that don't apply to us? Who has the right interpret them? How do we know if they are capable? etc

Actually I'm sorry I asked this because the only answer is an aeons-long theological debate.
I will still post it though, to show my willpower.
I think the general 'truth' of the ten commandments stands up to modern life - eg, even if (say, for example) I didn't much like my parents I still honour them for the fact that they spawned me and dragged me up. I'd never see them homeless or destitute. As I really rather like my parents very much, I honour them greatly.

It seems to be a big ball-ache spiritually speaking to compare and covet the material possessions of others (in BC Middle East the ox and the ass were maybe the camper van or sports car of the times!) so sensible to ditch that way of thinking.

Do not murder (*not* worded thou shalt not kill, as commonly thought) is a no-brainer. [Edited to add: The original Hebrew 'rétzakh' רֶצַח which translates as murder/unlawfully kill is sometimes rendered in much older translations (eg KJV) as simply 'kill']

The only one that seems to have to gone to the wall (apart from in my own home) is taking the name(s) in vain. I don't mind a good swear. I relish a really creative rudey words phrase but hearing anyone using 'Christ!' or 'oh my god!' in a non-literal way just makes my spine seem to creep up, hard to explain. I wasn't brought up with overly religious adults (mostly non-religious) but I did go the a CofE primary (the happy clappy progressive type) so maybe some of it came from there.

Quite a big generalisation? 'they' aren't a separate group of others, some of 'they' might be on here. 'they' can range from the Tibetan Buddhists to Holy Rollers to Sufi dervishes.

Last edited:

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite a big generalisation? 'they' aren't a separate group of others, some of 'they' might be on here. 'they' can range from the Tibetan Buddhists to Holy Rollers to Sufi dervishes.
@AnonyJoolz Quite! :)

@Tigerhawk Both the Pastor and Swifty are of the same persuasion - not sure what you are getting at with this? :confused:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
An atheist friend of mine used to say "Jesus Christ!" all the time. I would ask him "Why do you call on the Christ when you do not believe?"

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

[USER=51949]@Tigerhawk
Both the Pastor and Swifty are of the same persuasion - not sure what you are getting at with this? :confused:
Let me rephrase that - never talk shop with the weirdly religious. They won't listen to logic...

I'd rather talk to Swifty than most people...