• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Bilderberg Group

evilsprout

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Just read 'Them' by Jon Ronson, and found it very interesting... especially the stuff about the "shadowy" Bilderberger Group. Are they really an international group of occultists who rule the world, or, are they, as Ronson suggests, a bunch of successful frat boys who like burning wicker owls?

Anyone got an info?

Edited by TheQuixote- changed title spelling from 'Bilderberger' to 'Bilderberg' to assist better search results

I think you are conflating two of his shows as the owl thing
ceremony is an American gathering of US frat boys, exactly as
you suggest and rather silly. People appear to schmooze there
fairly informally and it's the weird ritual that fascinates the outsiders.

The Bilderberg Group, consisting of the power élite holds more
formal discussions but never publishes its agenda - a gift to people
who believe in lizards. So I'm not allowed to tell you;)

Or is the Bilderberg Group a collective of ageing avant-garde jazz musicians?

Or how about this for a paranoid fantasy...

There is a large conspiracy attempting to destabilise society by spreading conspiracy theories implying that there is a huge conspiracy taking place under our very noses.;)

Oh my god...

Actually, just did a bit of research into the Bilderberg Group (well... did a google search for "bilderberg", and looked at the first site that came up for a few seconds)...

...apparently Kenneth Clarke's one of them! And who recently won the Tory leadership race, beating into a cocked hat the William Hill odds on favourite Michael Denzil Xavier Portillo?! :eek:

Bilderbergs influencing British politics? (or just hardcore Conservatives tactically voting to keep out the descendant of an immigrant who was rather gay friendly...?)

Evilsprout said:
Actually, just did a bit of research into the Bilderberg Group (well... did a google search for "bilderberg", and looked at the first site that came up for a few seconds)...

...apparently Kenneth Clarke's one of them! And who recently won the Tory leadership race, beating into a cocked hat the William Hill odds on favourite Michael Denzil Xavier Portillo?! :eek:

Bilderbergs influencing British politics? (or just hardcore Conservatives tactically voting to keep out the descendant of an immigrant who was rather gay friendly...?)

Michael Denzil Xavier Portillo? There's your answer, even the Tories whould have difficulty imagining a leader with the middle names Denzil Xavier.:rolleyes:

Cujo

Anyone interested in the Bilderberg group should check out the Trilateral Commission. (http://www.trilateral.org). This organisation originates with the bilderbergers and has essentially the same membership, with the addition of members from Japan and the developed nations of the far east. Unlike the Bilderberg group it is a permanent body, with pretentions to providing global leadership. You can send to them for a list of their past and present members. This takes along time to arrive, being sent from New York, but makes interesting reading.

bildeburgers

Now I don't claim to be an expert by any means, I have only read the books...But from what I can gather the bilderburgers are the group which controls the (u.s.) Council on foreign relations and the (U.K.) Round table group(?) which in turn directly influence the Trilateralists; who distrubute policy and membership lists to try to legitimize the organization...The core bildeburgers are not well known or documented, but everything I have read points to the bilderburgers as a rothschild front group. Essentially everything I have read and heard about the group points to the fact that the rothschilds rule the world. But you'all allready knew that didn't you?

For balance?

In Magonia74 (April 2001) on Pg. 17 in a review for Robin Ramsey's 'The Pocket Essential Conspiracy Theories' by, I think, Peter Rogerson:

"Some of the usual suspects such as the Bilderburg group and the Trilateral Commission get a look in. Whether these groups are 'conspiracies' I suppose depends on what you mean by conspiracy.

That they act to ensure the leading politicians are 'on side' and support policies which favour international capital seems obvious, but that they do any detailed actual 'conspiring' much less so.

I have my doubts whether the Bilderburgers have much real influence these days. Their vaguely centre-left planned welfare capitalism seems very 1970's. Arguably life in Britain in the 1980's might have been less traumatic if they had have been in charge, as opposed to the cowboy capitalsim of Reagan and Thatcher.

Ramsey points out that the United States is especially liable to conspiracy theories, because it is essentially an ideological state. The ideology of 'Americanism' is seen by most people to be perfect, so when life is anything but, this cannot be seen as the fault of the ideology but must be due to the machinations of evil individuals."

And in Magonia75 (July 2001) Pg.20 in a review for Jon Ronson's book 'Them':

"The Bilderburg club...clearly is the top peoples' Rotary Club, in which its members endure boring speeches by pompous windbags for the social cache of having really arrived.

However if they find that too boring they can always get invited to the top-peoples Madi Gras, the Cremation of Care ceremony at Bohemian Grove. Of course to puritanical Americans the idea of world leaders disporting themselves like the contestants in a Rio carnival was deeply shocking. Brits just fall about laughing, but these puritans really think they've come across Lucifer's very own private barbecue."

Hey, man, don't think that all us yanks are CONVINCED that the world is being controlled by some vast conspiricy, but those of us in the know ;) realize that our nation was founded by a freemasonic conspiricy, and so naturally we will assume that those machinations continue to influence events, though not nesseciarily through the same channels...

I think that to regard these groups as conspiracies in the Illuminati sense of the word is a complete mistake. I doubt whether it is even possible to control the world in way it has been suggested. Essentially they are just forums (fora?) acting on behalf of the corporations that make up the majority of their members. They are really best compared with more well known supra-national organisations such as the World Trade Organisation, The International Monetary Fund and the World Economic Forum. Their policies are roughly the same as these: the establishment of a global free market. To regard the Bilderbergers/Trilaterals as 'centre left' is also largely erroneous, Could you ever regard an organisation that had the president of the Chase-Manhatten bank as its chairman as left wing? It is true though that to a large extent, government policy in Europe and the US since the end of the 70's has been governed by IMF dictates, and that these polices have been formulated outside the democratic system. A document published by the Trilaterals in the 1970's complained of an 'excess of democracy' in the US; a similar document published in the 90's regards such fears as ungrounded since the re-distribution of power towards the private sector had reduced the influence of democratic power on society.

The most worrying and disconcerting thing about the Bilderbergers to me is that they all play golf!!!

Here is a page from the Skeptics dictionary – really about the Illuminati and world conspiracies writ large. This link also has a good link to some paranoid Bilderburg (who grew out of post war CIA meetings) and Trilateral Commission (BIG BANKING) stuff.

The skeptics dictionary makes fair note that these conspiracies in the US are often tied to/fueled by anti-Semitism. Not quite the same as codewords anymore --- but in some quarters WE know who we mean by big banking don’t we (wink, knowing nod)?
NOT Accusing anyone of that, here or elsewhere – just saying in the US that is some context that this stuff grew out of.

Now the BIG conspiracy in the US seems to be that the UN is training armed forces (with black helicopters) that one day will swoop down on poor unsuspecting US citizens and only the (usually overweight) crazy nuts running about in the woods training with assault rifles will be there to resist them. Lacks some flair/finesse as conspiracy theories go, but it does have the advantage of taking your usually overweight assault rifle-loving nut out of the city and into the country – where he can do less harm and he can get a bit of exercise.

http://www.skepdic.com/illuminati.html

Inside the secretive Bilderberg Group

How much influence do private networks of the rich and powerful have on government policies and international relations? One group, the Bilderberg, has often attracted speculation that it forms a shadowy global government. As part of the BBC's Who Runs Your World? series, Bill Hayton tries to find out more.

The chairman of the secretive - he prefers the word private - Bilderberg Group is 73-year-old Viscount Etienne Davignon, corporate director and former European Commissioner.

In his office, on a private floor above the Brussels office of the Suez conglomerate lined with political cartoons of himself, he told me what he thought of allegations that Bilderberg is a global conspiracy secretly ruling the world.

"It is unavoidable and it doesn't matter," he says. "There will always be people who believe in conspiracies but things happen in a much more incoherent fashion." [...]

Link for full *rare* interview and article: BBC

We have three Bilderberg threads, and this is the one with the latest posts! The discussion doesn't really ever seem to move on - here's the latest story from the beeb:
Bilderberg: The ultimate conspiracy theory

By Jonathan Duffy
BBC News Online Magazine

The Bilderberg group, an elite coterie of Western thinkers and power-brokers, has been accused of fixing the fate of the world behind closed doors. As the organisation marks its 50th anniversary, rumours are more rife than ever.
Given its reputation as perhaps the most powerful organisation in the world, the Bilderberg group doesn't go a bundle on its switchboard operations.

Telephone inquiries are met with an impersonal female voice - the Dutch equivalent of the BT Callminder woman - reciting back the number and inviting callers to "leave a message after the tone".

Anyone who accidentally dialled the number would probably think they had stumbled on just another residential answer machine.

Leiden in Holland, the inauspicious base of the Bilderberg group
But behind this ultra-modest façade lies one of the most controversial and hotly-debated alliances of our times.

On Thursday the Bilderberg group marks its 50th anniversary with the start of its yearly meeting.

For four days some of the West's chief political movers, business leaders, bankers, industrialists and strategic thinkers will hunker down in a five-star hotel in northern Italy to talk about global issues.

What sets Bilderberg apart from other high-powered get-togethers, such as the annual World Economic Forum (WEF), is its mystique.

Not a word of what is said at Bilderberg meetings can be breathed outside. No reporters are invited in and while confidential minutes of meetings are taken, names are not noted.

The shadowy aura extends further - the anonymous answerphone message, for example; the fact that conference venues are kept secret. The group, which includes luminaries such as Henry Kissinger and former UK chancellor Kenneth Clarke, does not even have a website.

DISCREET AND ELITE
This year Bilderberg has announced a list of attendees
They include BP chief John Browne, US Senator John Edwards, World Bank president James Wolfensohn and Mrs Bill Gates

In the void created by such aloofness, an extraordinary conspiracy theory has grown up around the group that alleges the fate of the world is largely decided by Bilderberg.

In Yugoslavia, leading Serbs have blamed Bilderberg for triggering the war which led to the downfall of Slobodan Milosevic. The Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh, the London nail-bomber David Copeland and Osama Bin Laden are all said to have bought into the theory that Bilderberg pulls the strings with which national governments dance.

And while hardline right-wingers and libertarians accuse Bilderberg of being a liberal Zionist plot, leftists such as activist Tony Gosling are equally critical.

A former journalist, Mr Gosling runs a campaign against the group from his home in Bristol, UK.

"My main problem is the secrecy. When so many people with so much power get together in one place I think we are owed an explanation of what is going on.

Mr Gosling seizes on a quote from Will Hutton, the British economist and a former Bilderberg delegate, who likened it to the annual WEF gathering where "the consensus established is the backdrop against which policy is made worldwide".

[snip]

That activists have seized on Bilderberg is no surprise to Alasdair Spark, an expert in conspiracy theories.

"The idea that a shadowy clique is running the world is nothing new. For hundreds of years people have believed the world is governed by a cabal of Jews.

"Shouldn't we expect that the rich and powerful organise things in their own interests. It's called capitalism."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3773019.stm

Does anyone know who Alasdair Spark is ? And how can you claim to be an "expert" on conspiracy theories when the information is always changing? More BBC rubbish.

wowsah156 said:
Does anyone know who Alasdair Spark is ? And how can you claim to be an "expert" on conspiracy theories when the information is always changing? More BBC rubbish.

The same could be true of any subject. Medicine, IT, sports coaching - they're always changing but the concept of expertise would rarely be contested in these fields. In this particular conspiracy it's not impossible to be an expert as far as I can see although in the wider area of conspiracy theories there are certain identifiable traits and narratives which make them possible to study and therefore gain expertise in.

Ah..the Bilderbergers. The never ending conspiracy of wealth, power, and greed.
What's amazing to me is how many people have never even heard of them and other related groups. When I mention them to friends and relatives I get this blank stare and then the typical comment: 'What..are you some kind of conspiracy nut'?
I just roll my eyes and think 'sheeple'.

:lol:

I dunno, the cover story makes sense.
Denis Healy, a founding member, said that it grew out of the post war desperation of thinkers and politicians being constantly being attacked by the media. The Post Nazi and anti-communist air at the time, coupled with McCarthyism of various forms meant hat few people could air their ideas about how to rebuild the world.
The forum then was to allow a closed door exchange of idea where blue sky thinking could be indulged without fear or recrimination. hence, academics, business people, politicians and various other people have been invited to join or to speak to the group with the idea of producing reports and advisories for governments and other public bodies that could help on world issues.

Now of course, that is just the perfect over of some group of evil people to operate, but Ocham's Razor seems pretty sharp on this and there's little evidence otherwise.

LD

Well, it's been quiet on the Bilderberg front recently, but one guy is stirring this up again, with a good dose of the GFC mixed in:

For years, whispers of the secretive organization of world leaders known as the Bilderberg Group were considered fodder for conspiracy theories, but in the wake of massive economic upheaval, Europe's mainstream has joined the clamoring to find out what kind of financial wizardry has been going on behind the Bilderberg curtain.

Daniel Estulin, author of the hot-selling book, "The True Story of the Bilderberg Group," has even been invited to present an unprecedented speech before the European Parliament in Brussels June 1 on the subject of the secretive cabal.

"In Spain, Bilderberg is the 'it' topic," Estulin told WND. "The attention this is getting in the European mainstream press is equivalent to the New York Times or Wall Street Journal publishing extensively on it."

The attention, Estulin said, has come as his predictions on the cost of oil and other economic factors – based on investigative reporting into the Bilderbergers – have proved more accurate than other economic models in Europe's financial meltdown.

"Economists cannot explain it without acknowledging the shadow masters working to manipulate economies," Estulin said. "There is a general awakening taking place in people and the national press. This is no longer the domain of conspiracy theorists. Especially in Europe, we're seeing enough cracks to have hope that this dam will break and more and more people will demand to know what the Bilderberg Group has been doing."

Has this guy really been invited to speak in front of the European parliament? Well, yes he has - by one Mario Borghezio - member of the Lega Nord. A quick look at his Wiki entry reveals him to be an - ahem - interesting character:

In 1993 he was sentenced to pay a fine of 750,000 lire for private violence on a child in relation to an incident dating back to 1991. He detained by the arm and brought to the police a 12 years old Moroccan vendor, who was living in Italy without proper VISA.[4]

In July 2005, Borghezio was found guilty of arson, for having set fire to the pallets of some immigrants while they were sleeping under a bridge in Turin during a vigilante raid. For this he was sentenced to two months and twenty days, which converted into a fine of €3,040.

http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/2010/May28/2891.html

He may have been invited - but I doubt he'll get to speak. And rather than worrying about the Bilderbergs, I'd worry how such a guy can still hold a seat at the EU??? :roll:

If I were living in Europe, what would really rile me is the fact that so much taxpayer's money is spent on what is apparently a private gathering!

The fact that this guy is still a member of the European parliament and can waste everyone's time by inviting a fellow crackpot would be just as maddening. It seems a seriously sad state of affairs.

the purpose of the Bilderburg group

It's easy to figure out what the purpose of the Bilderburg group is. Just look at who they don't invite and join the dots.

Re: the purpose of the Bilderburg group

Afagddu said:
It's easy to figure out what the purpose of the Bilderburg group is. Just look at who they don't invite and join the dots.

Yeah, they never invited me, neither did the TLC or CFR. They will pay for this.

James Corden didn't make an appearance at this event. I'm not suggesting the Bilderberg group has its sights on him, just that he seems to be everywhere else.

Were there not enough tv cameras?

Well the annual Bilderberg Group conference opens on May 31, so it looks like an opportune moment to resurrect this thread.

Here's an interesting little bit - Guardian journalist Charlie Skelton interviewed on Infowars. No ranting Alex Jones - just a quiet understated Brit who thinks Bilderberg is neither a collection of reptilians or a lot of harmless old codgers in gardening trousers - but a seriously influential and worryingly secretive group that needs more media attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKISXW5yXs4

( NB - just ignore the ludicrous Jonesy "oh my gahhd we're all gonna diiie!!! headline" ;))

I'd like to say I don't buy into conspiracy theories. And I suppose for the most part you could say that I don't. I mean, its not like I'm some raving lunatic with tinfoil on my head to block out the alien transmissions (except for that one Halloween when that was my costume). But that said, I do know history and human nature, and I AM all too aware of the fact that people have a bad tendency of trying to seize and maintain power for themselves and their heirs. So to my mind, it isn't that far fetched that the ultra-wealthy and politically connected might work together out of their own perceived interests. Does that count as a conspiracy?

I'm not entirely certain that the politically elite are really into the occult. Of course, back in the day you did have wealthy socialites following the likes of Crowley and LaVey, but it was as much an act of childish rebellion as anything else. More akin to spoilt teenagers lashing out at social norms in an attempt to shock their parents than some vast occult conspiracy. While I suspect that the participants at Bohemian Grove might indeed appropriate the symbolism of bonfires and Moloch* for their own purposes, I doubt there is any understanding of the symbolism. That's not the point. Its really just a camp for America's ultra-wealthy elite. Any pentagrams or silly rituals are incidental to that.

I find the Bilderbergs to be perhaps the most troubling of the bunch, perhaps because of the individuals involved and because of the intense secrecy surrounding it. The fact that no major media outlet considers it worthy of investigation worries me. Moneyed elites, political movers and shakers, even members of the media all meeting together and setting agendas, even if informal. That pretty much goes against every pretense of democracy that we have cherished. Most of all, I do not like MY elected officials speaking off the record. I voted for them, and I d***ed well better know what they are saying and endorsing. I don't care if its Bush or Obama, the same principle applies. If they were private individuals that would be another case, but they are not.

As I have said before, power and influence are effectively finite resources. It is certainly not in my best interest for elites to consolidate a monopoly on them. In particular, it is not in my best interest for elites in MY society to monopolize such things. The mayor of Chicago, for instance, has far more power to make my life miserable if so inclined even through indirect actions. By that same token, the king of Tonga can do precious little to hurt me. Or help me. But then, when was the last time any political figure did much to help anyone other than themselves?

I think the other thing that I've noted about the Bilderbergers is the fact that it plays into the continued (albeit rapidly declining) dominance of a few western powers. This so called 'world order' that many governments try clinging to. It is exclusively confined to Europeans and North Americans. Even Australians are excluded. The Trilateral Commission extends it slightly to the 'developed countries' of East Asia. Everyone else is screwed. I've wonder what might happen if India, Brazil, Mexico, South Africa and the rest were to begin asserting themselves more through South-South cooperation. Might that thwart at least some of the Bilderberger type schemes? Certainly if there was more cooperation the world would be a better place.

* Not only does the Canaanite deity Moloch have absolutely nothing to do with owls, by the way, but the actual pronunciation of the name is likely more akin to 'Melech.' It is a Semitic root obviously connected to the widespread 'm-l-k,' from which springs the word 'king.' It is an obvious cognate of the Arabic ??? ('malik'), a title still used in several Arabic countries, including Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Morocco.

The meeting is going on now, and for the next 2 days. Among other protesters Alex Jones is present doing what he does best: shouting through the microphone, taunting police, and so on. I believe his message is based in fact but slightly skewed, and unforunately he doesn't have a better channel to vent, no pun intended there.

Check his YouTube channel for videos of the protest.

Back