• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
There has been quite a lot of fuss made - it hit the national media when the decision was made to tell the owners to 'rebuild exactly as was'. If anything else happens to the site some uncomfortable questions will need to be answered and it might just be enough to ensure that at least an approximation of the previous building goes back up.

Because of course they would. :roll:
"What was the point of us demolishing the place if we're going to be reconstructing it?"
What POSSIBLE grounds can they have to appeal? Other than 'it's going to be expensive and we don't want to'?

Tossers. Though it was obvious they'd try this. They were given 3 years to rebuild, but I hope this gets reduced now.

I can't help feeling that an unofficial cash transaction has something to do with this.
What is the point of being forced to rebuild ... but in a different location.
So they got away with* destroying the original, to use the land to build new stuff on. The historic building hasn't been preserved - it's being replicated.

* Sure, it could be said that they're having to pay for the rebuild, but I'm sure there's going to be more than enough income coming in from the old location and the sale of the 'new' old pub that has benefited from the publicity.

I can't help feeling that an unofficial cash transaction has something to do with this.
What is the point of being forced to rebuild ... but in a different location.
So they got away with* destroying the original, to use the land to build new stuff on. The historic building hasn't been preserved - it's being replicated.

* Sure, it could be said that they're having to pay for the rebuild, but I'm sure there's going to be more than enough income coming in from the old location and the sale of the 'new' old pub that has benefited from the publicity.
The owners have said they want to rebuild in a different location. This has not been agreed.

The owners have said they want to rebuild in a different location. This has not been agreed.
And I hope it never is. They'd have a double win - using the original site to build flats and getting planning permission somewhere else to rebuild the pub, probably somewhere slightly easier to access thereby making the pub a more profitable enterprise, since modern planning would mean it would need excellent access and car parking etc which (I am presuming because I don't know the old one in person) the original pub might have lacked.

Owners agree to rebuild Crooked House but in a new location*

*I suspect because they want to build expensive flats on the old site

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/crooked-house-rebuild-original-new-location-himley-dudled-wonkiest-pub/
Seem to recall they have land that is used for quarrying? Perhaps that is the reason for wanting it rebuilt elsewhere. Although I am appalled by the events leading up to and including the demolition it should be remembered that the pub was in an isolated location and no longer financially viable. If only some of those 35,000 had spent more of their money in there then none of this would have happened.

Seem to recall they have land that is used for quarrying? Perhaps that is the reason for wanting it rebuilt elsewhere. Although I am appalled by the events leading up to and including the demolition it should be remembered that the pub was in an isolated location and no longer financially viable. If only some of those 35,000 had spent more of their money in there then none of this would have happened.
The pub might not have been financially viable any longer but the building was still of historic value. Maybe the owners could have sold it for conversion to a house, rather than 'whoops' it catching fire so they could build flats there? It's not so much the pubbiness, it's the fact that it was a noteworthy building that ought to have been preserved.

The pub might not have been financially viable any longer but the building was still of historic value. Maybe the owners could have sold it for conversion to a house, rather than 'whoops' it catching fire so they could build flats there? It's not so much the pubbiness, it's the fact that it was a noteworthy building that ought to have been preserved.
True, perhaps it was the mineral rights all along

Precisely.
'Value' isn't only based on potential profits.

Similar vein as crooked pub?

Historic pub fire in Mitcham

Parts of it date from 1600s. It had been closed for more than 10 years. What’s the betting plans are already afoot for luxury apartments?

PastedGraphic-1.png

Out around us there are a lot of rural pubs which have been empty since failing during Covid. I know offhand of three very old buildings which are empty and advertised as for sale or for tenancy as a pub. These buildings are starting to fall into disrepair now, which is a terrible shame. A lot are in picturesque villages and I assume that there are planning reasons that they can't be sold for conversion to housing.

Out around us there are a lot of rural pubs which have been empty since failing during Covid. I know offhand of three very old buildings which are empty and advertised as for sale or for tenancy as a pub. These buildings are starting to fall into disrepair now, which is a terrible shame. A lot are in picturesque villages and I assume that there are planning reasons that they can't be sold for conversion to housing.
According to a report in the Indie, 2 pubs are closing every day. A combination of high running costs & reduced footfall from a] covid a while back & b] the price of booze & less disposable income due to cost of living increase etc.

That's the problem. What exactly do you do with an empty pub in a rural location that is clearly not financially viable? A change of use sympathetic to the style of the building is the only viable solution. Only the same with what become dilapidated old mansions which are allowed to be refurbed into monstrocities internally if not listed.(ok not a change of use but still).

A lot of villages now have clubs that are usually associated with sport (eg football or cricket) and offer cheaper drinks than pubs and all the sport on big screen tv etc. They seem to have replaced the local pub in being a community venue and host community events with barbecues etc. Often these existed before the local pub closed and have then filled the void. It is just a shame as a village feels so empty with a a pub and the service they provide for passers-by such as walkers and motorists. But then even my local no-frills boozer around the corner is charging £4.50 for pint of draught cider during a cost of living crisis and the same drink being available in the supermarket for a third of the price,

A lot of villages now have clubs that are usually associated with sport (eg football or cricket) and offer cheaper drinks than pubs and all the sport on big screen tv etc. They seem to have replaced the local pub in being a community venue and host community events with barbecues etc. Often these existed before the local pub closed and have then filled the void. It is just a shame as a village feels so empty with a a pub and the service they provide for passers-by such as walkers and motorists. But then even my local no-frills boozer around the corner is charging £4.50 for pint of draught cider during a cost of living crisis and the same drink being available in the supermarket for a third of the price,
Many of the villages out here are actual, real villages, so population of around 150, no clubs, no groups to use the pubs. Many are barely a closed pub and a handful of houses. In the old days when everyone drank and then drove home they could keep going. Then the whole 'don't drink and drive' very properly took off, so the pubs lost any custom that wasn't local - it's too far to walk along country lanes in the dark just for a pint. So many turned into 'foodie' places, great in the holiday season but locals won't pay £100 for a meal, and then Covid finished them off, when everyone discovered it was cheaper to drink at home. It's all very sad and a way of life gone.

I went to a friend's 16th birthday party in the village of Atherington (near Umberleigh in north Devon). The pub had closed but the retired landlady would sell bottles of cider from her front window :) Not fussy about ID either! The Rising Sun at Umberleigh survives by dint of owning the fishing rights to a stretch of the River Taw and offering food and accommodation to fishermen (and women)

But then even my local no-frills boozer around the corner is charging £4.50 for pint of draught cider during a cost of living crisis and the same drink being available in the supermarket for a third of the price.
Sadly, there are many factors in the success or failure in the pub trade.
In this case, supermarkets have the advantage of bulk buying discounts; a pub that might have a crate or two of bottled beer costs more per item than a pallet-load.
Also there's the 'tied' factor. An independent boozer has the chance to try out different suppliers but competes against 'tied' pubs that are restricted in the beers they can sell and how much they have to sell it for. It's no use complaining that locals can't afford the set price of a pint to the 'suits' in Head Office that's not even in the same county.

My son's pub seems to be doing all right. But they are right on the outskirts of Thirsk with a lot of houses in the catchment area. I'm usually there on a Sunday and, despite not serving food, there always seem to be people in, drinking, playing pool and watching TV. I'd guess that maybe it's because there's a higher proportion of single people there who don't want to be sitting in on their own.

Several pubs 'round our way close then suddenly open up under new management. They tend to be on the main coastal A road and try to get the 'tourist nearing the end of their journey' trade, with food deals, a big children's play area etc. etc. What they don't take into account is this trade is seasonal: unless the food or pub is outstanding, in the slow season locals can't be bothered to drive all the way out to it.

My son's pub seems to be doing all right. But they are right on the outskirts of Thirsk with a lot of houses in the catchment area. I'm usually there on a Sunday and, despite not serving food, there always seem to be people in, drinking, playing pool and watching TV. I'd guess that maybe it's because there's a higher proportion of single people there who don't want to be sitting in on their own.
I think we need to be honest and accept that back in the 1970s and 1980s there were a huge number of rubbish boozers that relied on a dwindling elderly local crowd for whom going to the pub was every night was second nature and thus made no effort to up their game. I can certainly remember a few in Barnstaple in the mid-80s, including one with an openly racist landlord that would refuse to serve non-Whites and had BNP/NF paraphernalia on the walls. Their eventual closure was not widely mourned...

But another big shift came with the loss of well-paid apprenticeships for young people and the drive to make them students instead. Usually these young adults were still living at home or in digs and had money to splurge on going out. When I worked in a rural pub in Somerset the apprentices from the local timber mill would arrive on a Friday evening and then spend their entire wage packets over the weekend, whereas nowadays they would be penniless students being shuttled in to college on buses.

Similar vein as crooked pub?

Historic pub fire in Mitcham

Parts of it date from 1600s. It had been closed for more than 10 years. What’s the betting plans are already afoot for luxury apartments?

View attachment 75806

"Emergency crews were called to the Burn Bullock" - an unfortunate name on a number of levels.

I've been past that place once I think, I noticed it looked like a nice building and it was a shame that it empty. If I recall correctly there was another nice old pub in a similar state of disuse over the road and within sight of it. I hope history doesn't repeat.

Thirty or forty years ago I would call at the pub at the end of the st were we lived and it was rare to see anyone else in there, I did wonder if they made enough to pay the electric bill for the one 40W bulb that lit the bar.

I think we need to be honest and accept that back in the 1970s and 1980s there were a huge number of rubbish boozers that relied on a dwindling elderly local crowd for whom going to the pub was every night was second nature and thus made no effort to up their game. I can certainly remember a few in Barnstaple in the mid-80s, including one with an openly racist landlord that would refuse to serve non-Whites and had BNP/NF paraphernalia on the walls. Their eventual closure was not widely mourned...

But another big shift came with the loss of well-paid apprenticeships for young people and the drive to make them students instead. Usually these young adults were still living at home or in digs and had money to splurge on going out. When I worked in a rural pub in Somerset the apprentices from the local timber mill would arrive on a Friday evening and then spend their entire wage packets over the weekend, whereas nowadays they would be penniless students being shuttled in to college on buses.
Thirsk has a lower socio-economic status amid the wealthy villages and towns up here. The property is cheaper than in many other places. So the demographic there is of the elderly and the disenfranchised (although it does have its posh areas too and the railway line passing through means that commuting is a possibility). So, in a way, it's still set back in the '80s where people go to the pub for a 'good time'.

Edited because I had put that there is more social housing in Thirsk, but that has no bearing on available income, as I realised. It just means that there's a higher proportion of people renting their houses than house owners.

Back