• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Leaped Out Of My Wall

Sounds like an encounter with a Man in Black with an invisibility cloak.

pinkstarbuck said:
This scared me so much that i went to the kitchen to lock the back door closed and i also rounded the corner slowly as i thought somebody was waiting for me. I briefly saw his face (nobody i recognised) and he was dressed in black.

Scary event, glad you're okay.

I don't quite follow your description, however. Did you lock the back door, then go somewhere else ('rounded the corner'), and see the man again?

HenryFort said:
i think but correct me someone who knows better that seeing black dots or -insects- out of the corner of the eye is related to depression ... i think its mentioned on the beck tests or similar and may be related to the way peripheral vision is impacted by depression or psychoses ... i dont think it applies to sizeable mammals or rodents ...

Visual disturbances can be a symptom of depression and anxiety. Makes sense when you think about it, really- both states are often accompanied by a feeling of being threatened, and that does lead to sort of hyper-aware senses and maybe, sometimes, misinterpreting normal visual stimuli as strange or scary.

What I thought of right away though was the phenomenon called visual snow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_snow I have this myself, and in dim light, when I'm especially tired, it can be distorting enough that I'll do a double-take at random patches of shadow, convinced that it's a person/animal/object. This often makes it seen as if the shadow is moving as well due to the nature of the "snow". Staring for a second while my eyes adjust always resolves it into "oh, wait, no, just a shadow". Startling sometimes, and it can be a symptom of something serious, but at least for me it's just a side effect of having crap eyesight.

With all that said, however, it does seem as though what a lot of people have seen is just a little too detailed and specific to easily fit into the above explanations- especially the people who have independent witnesses. I'm sure someone could come up with one of those "half-seen peripheral motion is reinterpreted by brain as image of XYZ" explanations, and in a lot of cases this is probably completely correct, but when we get into the realm of two different people seeing the same thing at the same time it just seems like maybe more is going on.

Yup, and tiredness comes into it. One night, driving home late on a country road after a long day, I clearly saw a huge Black Dog waiting to pounce on me from a side road. As I stared in amazement it turned into a car. :lol:

zygmunt_rocks_on said:
When I shared a flat with my mate John, we were sat in the living room waiting for our girlfriends to return from a night out. Sure enough, we heard them laughing and crashing through the front door... I went to the hallway to greet them, but they weren't there. Me and John looked at each other and didn't know what to think! About 10 minutes later, we heard exactly the same noises, but this time they were really there.

If dimension slips do occur, noise related ones might be far more common than visual ones. There's background and ambient noise all around us that we take for granted... we may just not notice, for example, a dog barking in the same way we would seeing a dog leap out of a wall!
:eek!!!!:

McAvennie_ said:
Reminds me of a time at Uni when I was in the shower and heard my flat mate come in, run up the stairs to his room, play his music really loud for about two minutes and then leave again.

I got to college about half an hour later and asked why he had bothered to put his music on if he was only in for a few minutes, to which he replied he hadn't been home and had been at college all afternoon. Something which was confirmed by someone else in the room.

Of course, we had a thing about trying to scare each other* so I have always assumed he was lying and it was him but he did have a witness vouching for him. Could have been a time-slip?

* I once came home from college and stacked all his books into a tower in the middle of his room one afternoon, while on one occasion myself and my then girlfriend were awoken by a tape player he had set up with a timer under my bed with recordings of what presumably were meant to be scary noises. :lol:

Hypermetropia said:
I'm sure I posted this before, but it fits in with your time slip thingy! A few years ago, over the space of a couple of weeks, I had the experience of seeing future events.

Each time I would be at the kitchen sink with a window overlooking the garden path. I saw my husband coming up the path with two white bags of shopping...... I went to the door to help with the bags - he was not there. He came about 15 minutes later (with bags). Second time it was my son, same thing again, he arrived soon after. Last time I saw my stepson with a figure dressed in black. Again, no one was there, my stepson then turned up with a complete stranger, a male dancer friend who was wearing a black shirt and black jeans.

I would have shaken it off as a daydream of a familiar sight had I not seen the stranger in black.

These are vardogers (arriving before actual arrival), not a time slip

JamesWhitehead said:
snip--
The dream involved the terrifying descent from an area above the picture-rail of a wolf-life dog: it leapt into the room and lost itself in the clutter of the bedroom.

The dream went on to include a sequence in which my parents persuaded me that the phantom was not real, despite them clearly directing a hideous creature out of the room. bold by me

-- snip

That really freaks me out!

hunck said:
1st time poster here.

This thread reminded me of something which happened in my house some 5 or 6 years ago.

I was in the kitchen one evening when something suddenly came out either from under the skirting board where there is a small gap, or possibly under the fridge, which is also a small gap, shot across the floor, and disappeared into the opposite corner of the room where the dishwasher is. I moved this gingerly to see if I could see anything but of course nothing was there, and no large holes to escape. The kitchen is very small so the distance it covered was about 7 or 8 feet from where it emerged to where it disappeared.

Scarily enough, I have seen EXACTLY this. Small brown something run from under the fridge to under the dishwasher. It did move amazingly fast, and quietly, but it was still a mouse! Caught it, and it's a mate that came looking for it, a few days later.

I remembered something else, my now deceased great Aunt lived in an ancient house in Horsham (it's fairly well known and turns up on calendars, art prints etc.). The interior appeared to be mostly original, lots of beams and flags and odd levels. It was haunted and I remember my Great Aunt telling me once, in her bedroom, she saw a large black shadow animal like a badger run from under her bed across her bedroom and disappeared into a wall or closed cupboard.

These things are mad, and certainly interesting! It's reminded me of something that happened in the house I lived in, two houses previous to where I am now.

I was around the 10-13 age bracket, and was sitting on the floor in the living room. My mum was standing up behind me, when a sprout seemed to come through the (closed) bay windows, bouncing off my mum's belly, falling onto my head and then landing on the floor.

At the time, she thought it was hilarious, and I declared it to the "Sprout-Thrower", just another addition to my list of strange things that lived in the house with us. Nice to see that other people had unexpected things popping through their homes too.

Please tell us more!

Bannik said:
One time my sister and I both saw, out the corner of our eyes, someone walk down our hall into our parents room. I was on the computer just like I am now and she was on the other side of the hall in the bathroom putting on makeup or something. I went in and turned on the lights but there was no one in there.

Might have posted this once before, but years ago I witnessed my roommate return home from work and not answer my greeting, wandering into the living room instead (didn't see his face as he turned away). Heard the door shut, heard the footsteps, everything. But then, once he got to he living room the tv didn't turn on as usual. Then, a while after, he returned home for real. Did a quick search and there were no extra people in the house. Questioned him and he claimed that he had not entered the house earlier. This was his first time returning home. Creepy enough.

Sorry for the long post but I didnt think this quite deserved its own thread.

Something similar ( as in things coming out of a wall ) happened to my friend. She was on a ski-ing holiday with her now husband, and whilst she was lying in bed with him snoring away, a person dressed in full ski wear walked out of the wall, through the room and disappeared.

Daftbugger1 said:
hunck said:
1st time poster here.

This thread reminded me of something which happened in my house some 5 or 6 years ago.

I was in the kitchen one evening when something suddenly came out either from under the skirting board where there is a small gap, or possibly under the fridge, which is also a small gap, shot across the floor, and disappeared into the opposite corner of the room where the dishwasher is. I moved this gingerly to see if I could see anything but of course nothing was there, and no large holes to escape. The kitchen is very small so the distance it covered was about 7 or 8 feet from where it emerged to where it disappeared.

Scarily enough, I have seen EXACTLY this. Small brown something run from under the fridge to under the dishwasher. It did move amazingly fast, and quietly, but it was still a mouse! Caught it, and it's a mate that came looking for it, a few days later.

And not forgetting that mice do not need big holes, the rat man who came to exterminate the rat in the compost bin, told me that mice can get through a hole the size of a pencil rubber.

Human_84 said:
Bannik said:
One time my sister and I both saw, out the corner of our eyes, someone walk down our hall into our parents room. I was on the computer just like I am now and she was on the other side of the hall in the bathroom putting on makeup or something. I went in and turned on the lights but there was no one in there.

Might have posted this once before, but years ago I witnessed my roommate return home from work and not answer my greeting, wandering into the living room instead (didn't see his face as he turned away). Heard the door shut, heard the footsteps, everything. But then, once he got to he living room the tv didn't turn on as usual. Then, a while after, he returned home for real. Did a quick search and there were no extra people in the house. Questioned him and he claimed that he had not entered the house earlier. This was his first time returning home. Creepy enough.

Sorry for the long post but I didnt think this quite deserved its own thread.

That sounds like a vardøger

A little story has come to mind about animals manifesting from nowhere. I nursed an elderly lady in a care home in Lancashire. She had once lived, with her husband, in one of those static park homes (mobile home style).

He died there, and she lived on alone for a short time. One early evening she saw a black cat, inside the home, run along the sofa-bench, it came from nowhere (door, windows closed) and just disappeared. She instinctively thought it was something to do with her late husband, and was not afraid. No, she did not have dementia. I wish I'd asked her more, but I was no doubt very busy.

That's it....... but at least it is on topic! :)

Funnily enough, I'm having a mouse issue like this right now. I was lying on my bed reading a book at about midnight on a Friday night about three months ago and this mouse ran from behind the wardrobe opposite my bed and into my study (the door is only two/three feet from the back of the wardrobe. I saw movement and damn near jumped out of my skin. Our cat, that was mooching about in the bedroom, never even blinked.

So, I set a trap, and no mouse. Then I saw it again run exactly the same way a few days later. So, I took the drawers out of the bottom of the wardrobe - figured the rodent was living underneath. No evidence of mouse. NO nest, no shit, nothing.

The trap was baited for a week and went untouched. There's no mouse shit anywhere in my house, no mousey smell. There doesn't seem to be any place in my study here a mouse can disappear to, and nowhere from where it can appear from. I haven't given it much thought - after all, mice can come from and go just about anywhere. Then I read an edition of IHTM on my Ipad and there's all these stories about animals jumping out of walls.

Now, this thread and I'm thinking 'hooooold on'....maybe I have a ghost mouse, or a dimension-jumping one, after all.

Was it definitely a mouse? Maybe it was just a big spider?

The first time I saw only a flash of movement, which I thought was mouse, but wasn't sure. However, the second time I got a postive ID - mouse!

Hmmm. Sounds to me like the cat and the mouse have an 'arrangement'. ;)

This thread made me think of an old post/thread in which someone reported witnessing a procession of giant cats walking through the brick wall of a house, which I think may have been in the process of renovation. Anyone remember this one? I can't find it anywhere on the boards, but it must have been around 2006 I first read it.

Reminds me of one of my pet rats, who used to live loose in our front room (and would come to anyone for a plate of chicken curry). He used to run up the curtains and sit on the curtain rail, and many a visitor had a nasty shock when they'd be innocently standing looking out of the window and a huge black rat would suddenly precipitate onto their shoulder.

It was a great way to get rid of unwanted visitors (ex MIL, I am looking at you...)

Reminds me of one of my pet rats, who used to live loose in our front room (and would come to anyone for a plate of chicken curry). He used to run up the curtains and sit on the curtain rail, and many a visitor had a nasty shock when they'd be innocently standing looking out of the window and a huge black rat would suddenly precipitate onto their shoulder.

It was a great way to get rid of unwanted visitors (ex MIL, I am looking at you...)
And the curry turned the rat into a little poop rocket? I love curry, but that's strong fare for a pet rodent!

About 8 years ago. I had just finished showering. I still had a towel wrapped around my hair. I was getting ready to go for Christmas dinner at a friends house, when I heard a cat crying in the hallway. This is a pet free building so, it was pretty strange for me to hear this cat on the second floor. The only way up here is by elevator or by several heavy doors that lead to stairs. At first I just shrugged it off. The cry continued intermittently as I was taking the towel off my hair. I decided to go check. As I wondered the hall, I could still hear the cry but, could not see anything. I said out loud in a normal voice, "Where are you?" and I heard a woman's voice say, "Here in 210. Can you here me? I fell and I can't get up." Long story short, she was rescued.

Fast forward to 2 days ago, I heard a cat crying in the hallway. lol

I instantly thought someone has fallen again and even though I was still in my nightgown, I opened the door to listen. As I peeked out, to my surprise, there was a black cat sitting outside apartment 210. By the size of it I decided that it looked to be about 10 months old. The lady I talked about had died about 5 years ago, in hospital and a new tenant lived there.

I stepped out into the hallway and said, "Hi." It looked right at me and stopped crying. I leaned forward and stretched out my hand. It came running toward me. I'm not sure how to describe this other than to say, it had no paws. It ran perfectly normal, in other words it had no problem running and it also had what looked to be the end of it's tail missing. It was completely black and it had chestnut brown eyes. This puzzled me and I guess it showed on my face because it stopped short about 2 feet away from me. It stared intensely into my eyes for about 3 seconds. I said, "It's okay." but, it took off running in the opposite direction and disappeared around the corner. I just shrugged and went back inside my apartment and shut the door. No matter how hard I tried to forget about it, I couldn't. So, I went back out and looked around the corner, it wasn't there so I went further. It was cowering under a table in the common area. I tried again to get it to come to me but, it didn't move.

Because it looked so scared, I decided not to approach and went back to my apartment and got a bowl of water and put it under the table a few inches away from the cat. I used a almost whisper voice and said a few things to calm it and it did seem to soften. I could tell by the way it's eyes went from round and terrified to relaxed and half opened. I also decided that it was a fully grown cat with a stumpy build ? Then I went back to my place and sent an email to our resident, "knows everything that goes on in the building" person. Every apartment building has one of those people, am I right? lol

I described the cat, told her exactly where it was located, and asked if she knew who it belonged to, then waited for a response. I heard the hallway door slam, which means someone came up or down from the stairs onto my floor. Then about 5 minutes later, she responded saying she went up there, there was no cat, just a small bowl of water sitting on top of the table. She went on to say that the owner must live on my floor and came out and took it back in.

Last night, I went to lay down around 6:30pm and I heard that cat crying again except this time, it was coming from outside my bedroom window. I just remember thinking, wow, that cat really gets around and then fell asleep. This morning I received an email from "knows everything that goes on in the building" person, saying that she heard a cat crying outside but, when she looked there was nothing there.

It's probably nothing but, the weird appearance of the animal having no paws and the fact that I seem to be the only one that can see it has me a little freaked out. lol

Any chance that, as it's a pet-free building, someone has had an indoor cat that they haven't confessed to? And it's escaped, and nobody dares to claim it because they're not supposed to have it?

And it hid somewhere in the communal area when your 'person who knows everything' came in? then got back out again?

If it has no paws and part of its tail missing, then it may have been very badly treated at some point and therefore be VERY wary of people.

I and the other person thought that too. I did fail to mention that after the cat ran from me, I knocked on 210 and asked the tenant there if it was hers. She said no, she also mentioned that she heard a cat crying but then heard a door opening and it stopped so, she assumed that the owner let it in. She looked around and then asked me if I took it in. I said no it took off around the corner. So that's another person that heard the cat but did not see it. I also failed to mention that I got out of bed and looked out my bedroom window and saw the cat. That was when I thought wow, that cat really gets around. I left all that out because my original post was getting really long and I was thinking that I am making much ado about nothing.

The thing is is that it is impossible for that cat to have found it's own way up to my floor. The stairwells are a good 20-30 feet away from the entrances and the doors have those (I don't know what they are called) gadgets for fire regulations on the top of them that are made to keep the door from staying open and it is unreasonably heavy when you try to open it. Each floor has that same door with the gadget on it at the stairwell opening so that's why you can hear it open and shut every time it gets used. The only other way up is by elevator.

The other thing is that if it is a disabled cat then who would put it outside? It had no paws and therefore would not be able to defend itself.

You are probably right though, catseye. Just because it ran from me does not mean someone else could not have picked it up and put it outside.

I and the other person thought that too. I did fail to mention that after the cat ran from me, I knocked on 210 and asked the tenant there if it was hers. She said no, she also mentioned that she heard a cat crying but then heard a door opening and it stopped so, she assumed that the owner let it in. She looked around and then asked me if I took it in. I said no it took off around the corner. So that's another person that heard the cat but did not see it. I also failed to mention that I got out of bed and looked out my bedroom window and saw the cat. That was when I thought wow, that cat really gets around. I left all that out because my original post was getting really long and I was thinking that I am making much ado about nothing.

The thing is is that it is impossible for that cat to have found it's own way up to my floor. The stairwells are a good 20-30 feet away from the entrances and the doors have those (I don't know what they are called) gadgets for fire regulations on the top of them that are made to keep the door from staying open and it is unreasonably heavy when you try to open it. Each floor has that same door with the gadget on it at the stairwell opening so that's why you can hear it open and shut every time it gets used. The only other way up is by elevator.

The other thing is that if it is a disabled cat then who would put it outside? It had no paws and therefore would not be able to defend itself.

You are probably right though, catseye. Just because it ran from me does not mean someone else could not have picked it up and put it outside.
Speaking as a cat mother, next time you meet it you could try to get it into your apartment. Tuna, cheese... If it belongs to someone in the building it needs to stay where it's safe. Post a sign where signs are posted saying you're not trying to out anyone, but who has the cat because you're worried about it. Cats are so very eligible to be classed as fortean just because of the way the operate.

Speaking as a cat mother, next time you meet it you could try to get it into your apartment. Tuna, cheese... If it belongs to someone in the building it needs to stay where it's safe. Post a sign where signs are posted saying you're not trying to out anyone, but who has the cat because you're worried about it. Cats are so very eligible to be classed as fortean just because of the way the operate.

The fortean part of this is that cats don't have brown eyes. When it stopped in the hall and looked intensely into my eyes for about 3-5 seconds before it ran away, I noticed it's unusual eye color. This cat's eyes were unmistakably brown. When I looked out the bedroom window, it was looking straight at me with those big brown eyes.

https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-cats-have-brown-eyes

The 'feet and tail missing' thing may have been due to frostbite. At some point in its past, the cat may have been left outside in the snow and couldn't get back in.

Back